get pppd to append nameservers to resolv.conf - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on get pppd to append nameservers to resolv.conf - Ubuntu ; Have a Kubuntu 7.10 box that is my dialup gateway for my LAN (yeah no broadband in this part of the 3rd-world USA) Also have a dns server for LAN, when the ppp goes up my local nameserver entry is ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 46

  1. get pppd to append nameservers to resolv.conf

    Have a Kubuntu 7.10 box that is my dialup gateway for my LAN (yeah no
    broadband in this part of the 3rd-world USA) Also have a dns server for
    LAN, when the ppp goes up my local nameserver entry is removed and
    replaced by ISP nameservers. How can I get the pppd to *append* ISP
    nameservers when the ppp goes up?

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------
    LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
    http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com

  2. Re: get pppd to append nameservers to resolv.conf

    Jonathan N. Little wrote:

    > Have a Kubuntu 7.10 box that is my dialup gateway for my LAN (yeah no
    > broadband in this part of the 3rd-world USA) Also have a dns server for
    > LAN, when the ppp goes up my local nameserver entry is removed and
    > replaced by ISP nameservers. How can I get the pppd to *append* ISP
    > nameservers when the ppp goes up?

    Uhhhh...what makes you think this is a linux ng, huh?
    This is a Vista (that's Microsoft pal) ng.
    Suggest you try the linux open sores sh*thole for linux help.
    Frank

  3. Re: get pppd to append nameservers to resolv.conf

    From:From: Frank
    Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu
    Subject: Re: get pppd to append nameservers to resolv.conf
    Date: Sun, 27 Jan 2008 19:45:30 -0800

    Now don't drink and post

  4. Re: get pppd to append nameservers to resolv.conf

    Frank wrote:
    > Jonathan N. Little wrote:
    >
    >> Have a Kubuntu 7.10 box that is my dialup gateway for my LAN (yeah no
    >> broadband in this part of the 3rd-world USA) Also have a dns server
    >> for LAN, when the ppp goes up my local nameserver entry is removed
    >> and replaced by ISP nameservers. How can I get the pppd to *append*
    >> ISP nameservers when the ppp goes up?
    >>

    > Uhhhh...what makes you think this is a linux ng, huh?

    alt.os.linux.ubuntu is the group.

    > This is a Vista (that's Microsoft pal) ng.

    No, you're confused again.

    > Suggest you try the linux open sores sh*thole for linux help.
    > Frank

    He is posting in in alt.os.linux.ubuntu.

    Oops.

    Alias

  5. Re: get pppd to append nameservers to resolv.conf

    Frank wrote:

    > Jonathan N. Little wrote:
    >
    >> Have a Kubuntu 7.10 box that is my dialup gateway for my LAN (yeah no
    >> broadband in this part of the 3rd-world USA) Also have a dns server for
    >> LAN, when the ppp goes up my local nameserver entry is removed and
    >> replaced by ISP nameservers. How can I get the pppd to *append* ISP
    >> nameservers when the ppp goes up?
    >>

    > Uhhhh...what makes you think this is a linux ng, huh?
    > This is a Vista (that's Microsoft pal) ng.

    What part of "Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu" was too difficult for you?
    Note: That was the only newsgroup in the post you responded to

    > Suggest you try the linux open sores sh*thole for linux help.
    > Frank

    Suggest you buy your very first clue. And get a brain transplant. I hear
    ****roach brains are dirt cheap now, and you would be twice as smart then
    --
    The Day Microsoft makes something that does not suck is probably
    the day they start making vacuum cleaners.

  6. Re: get pppd to append nameservers to resolv.conf

    Jonathan N. Little wrote:

    > Have a Kubuntu 7.10 box that is my dialup gateway for my LAN (yeah no
    > broadband in this part of the 3rd-world USA) Also have a dns server for
    > LAN, when the ppp goes up my local nameserver entry is removed and
    > replaced by ISP nameservers. How can I get the pppd to *append* ISP
    > nameservers when the ppp goes up?

    You can run "man resolvconf" for available options. You may end up disabling
    the service and just use the forwarders in your local DNS.

  7. Re: get pppd to append nameservers to resolv.conf

    On Sun, 27 Jan 2008 19:45:30 -0800, Frank wrote:

    > Jonathan N. Little wrote:
    >
    >> Have a Kubuntu 7.10 box that is my dialup gateway for my LAN (yeah no
    >> broadband in this part of the 3rd-world USA) Also have a dns server for
    >> LAN, when the ppp goes up my local nameserver entry is removed and
    >> replaced by ISP nameservers. How can I get the pppd to *append* ISP
    >> nameservers when the ppp goes up?
    >>

    > Uhhhh...what makes you think this is a linux ng, huh? This is a Vista
    > (that's Microsoft pal) ng. Suggest you try the linux open sores sh*thole
    > for linux help.

    Definitive proof that Vista rots your brain.

  8. Re: get pppd to append nameservers to resolv.conf

    Alias wrote:
    > Frank wrote:
    >> Jonathan N. Little wrote:
    >>
    >>> Have a Kubuntu 7.10 box that is my dialup gateway for my LAN (yeah no
    >>> broadband in this part of the 3rd-world USA) Also have a dns server
    >>> for LAN, when the ppp goes up my local nameserver entry is removed
    >>> and replaced by ISP nameservers. How can I get the pppd to *append*
    >>> ISP nameservers when the ppp goes up?
    >>>

    >> Uhhhh...what makes you think this is a linux ng, huh?

    > alt.os.linux.ubuntu is the group.

    I just ignored him, figured he was just a troll. More interested in my
    OP though...

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------
    LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
    http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com

  9. Re: get pppd to append nameservers to resolv.conf

    Alias wrote:

    > Frank wrote:
    >
    >> Jonathan N. Little wrote:
    >>
    >>> Have a Kubuntu 7.10 box that is my dialup gateway for my LAN (yeah no
    >>> broadband in this part of the 3rd-world USA) Also have a dns server
    >>> for LAN, when the ppp goes up my local nameserver entry is removed
    >>> and replaced by ISP nameservers. How can I get the pppd to *append*
    >>> ISP nameservers when the ppp goes up?
    >>>

    >> Uhhhh...what makes you think this is a linux ng, huh?

    > alt.os.linux.ubuntu is the group.
    >
    >> This is a Vista (that's Microsoft pal) ng.

    > No, you're confused again.
    >
    >> Suggest you try the linux open sores sh*thole for linux help.
    >> Frank

    > He is posting in in alt.os.linux.ubuntu.
    >
    > Oops.
    >
    > Alias

    Well dud!!!...hahaha...LOL!
    Don't like the chaos?
    Too bad mr liar, mr troll...hahaha!
    Frank

  10. Re: get pppd to append nameservers to resolv.conf

    Frank wrote:

    > Alias wrote:
    >
    >> Frank wrote:

    >>> Uhhhh...what makes you think this is a linux ng, huh?

    >> alt.os.linux.ubuntu is the group.
    >>
    >>> This is a Vista (that's Microsoft pal) ng.

    >> No, you're confused again.
    >>
    >>> Suggest you try the linux open sores sh*thole for linux help.
    >>> Frank

    >> He is posting in in alt.os.linux.ubuntu.
    >>
    >> Oops.
    >>
    >> Alias

    > Well dud!!!...hahaha...LOL!

    Yes. The true hallmark of an imbecile. Like you, Frank

    > Don't like the chaos?
    > Too bad mr liar, mr troll...hahaha!

    Well, it was *you* who posted factual incorrect bile

    Tell us, when will you start to post the very first thing in all your life
    which wasn't total bull****?

    --
    Microsoft's Product Strategy: "It compiles, let's ship it!"

  11. Re: get pppd to append nameservers to resolv.conf

    echo 'echo "nameserver 192.168.1.1">>/etc/ppp/resolv.conf'\
    >/etc/ppp/ip-up.local

  12. Re: get pppd to append nameservers to resolv.conf

    the wharf rat wrote:

    > echo 'echo "nameserver 192.168.1.1">>/etc/ppp/resolv.conf'\
    > >/etc/ppp/ip-up.local

    Poor imbecile
    --
    Microsoft's Guide To System Design:
    If it starts working, we'll fix it. Pronto.

  13. Re: get pppd to append nameservers to resolv.conf

    the wharf rat wrote:

    > echo 'echo "nameserver 192.168.1.1">>/etc/ppp/resolv.conf'\
    > >/etc/ppp/ip-up.local

    Careful mr rat...you don't want to hurt yourself...LOL!
    Frank

  14. Re: get pppd to append nameservers to resolv.conf

    On Sun, 27 Jan 2008, in the Usenet newsgroup alt.os.linux.ubuntu, in article
    <696a2$479d112a$40cba7c5$19501@NAXS.COM>, Jonathan N. Little wrote:

    >Have a Kubuntu 7.10 box that is my dialup gateway for my LAN (yeah no
    >broadband in this part of the 3rd-world USA) Also have a dns server for
    >LAN, when the ppp goes up my local nameserver entry is removed and
    >replaced by ISP nameservers.

    That's not pppd that is mucking with /etc/resolv.conf - it's some
    "helper program. Which one? I can't say.

    >How can I get the pppd to *append* ISP nameservers when the ppp goes up?

    There are several problems here. What would be EASIER is to use the
    pppd script /etc/ppp/ip-up (which may want you to use /etc/ppp/ip-up.local
    or some similar name) to replace the resolv.conf file, and have
    /etc/ppp/ip-down (which may want you to use /etc/ppp/ip-down.local)
    move the old file back in. See the man page for pppd, but those scripts
    are run "as root" when the link goes up/down for IP traffic. But you
    probably really don't want to do this for several reasons.

    First, there is a limit of $MAXNS (a variable set in
    /usr/include/resolv.h - normally set to 3) nameservers in the
    /etc/resolv.conf file. The system ignores extra entries.

    What may be more important is that the resolver code believes the first
    answer it gets - so if you ask your local name server about some
    external name, the answer is NXDOMAIN, and the game is over. In the
    same manner (and likely what is happening to you), if you ask an
    external nameserver about a local name, you'll get the same NXDOMAIN
    answer. What you probably want is to ask "A" name server, and have
    it resolve the name - no matter if it's internal or external. You
    probably have small chance (or desire) to have the external name server
    resolve your internal names, so the next best thing is to only list
    the internal servers, and tell that server that if it's not
    authoritative (doesn't know) the answer, then it should ask some
    designated remote server. This trick is called a caching/forwarding
    name server, and details on how to set this up are found in Section 6
    of the DNS-HOWTO.

    -rw-rw-r-- 1 gferg ldp 91563 Dec 23 2001 DNS-HOWTO

    Generally speaking, your ISP isn't playing Musical IP Addresses with
    his name servers. None of the ISPs I've used over a twenty year period
    have ever changed the IP address of their name server, because there is
    no need to do so. The PPP Vendor Extension (RFC2153) was created by
    microsoft because they knew that windoze users are unable to spell DNS,
    never mind know how to make a one-time setup of their own computer.
    Thus, you can make a fixed 'forwarder' directive, and if the link is
    down your name server won't be able to forward requests (which are
    likely to be for external addresses anyway). This eliminates screwing
    with the configuration files when the links go up/down.

    Old guy

  15. Re: get pppd to append nameservers to resolv.conf

    Moe Trin wrote:
    > On Sun, 27 Jan 2008, in the Usenet newsgroup alt.os.linux.ubuntu, in article
    > <696a2$479d112a$40cba7c5$19501@NAXS.COM>, Jonathan N. Little wrote:
    >
    >> Have a Kubuntu 7.10 box that is my dialup gateway for my LAN (yeah no
    >> broadband in this part of the 3rd-world USA) Also have a dns server for
    >> LAN, when the ppp goes up my local nameserver entry is removed and
    >> replaced by ISP nameservers.

    > That's not pppd that is mucking with /etc/resolv.conf - it's some
    > "helper program. Which one? I can't say.
    >
    >> How can I get the pppd to *append* ISP nameservers when the ppp goes up?

    > There are several problems here. What would be EASIER is to use the
    > pppd script /etc/ppp/ip-up (which may want you to use /etc/ppp/ip-up.local
    > or some similar name) to replace the resolv.conf file, and have
    > /etc/ppp/ip-down (which may want you to use /etc/ppp/ip-down.local)
    > move the old file back in. See the man page for pppd, but those scripts
    > are run "as root" when the link goes up/down for IP traffic. But you
    > probably really don't want to do this for several reasons.
    >
    > First, there is a limit of $MAXNS (a variable set in
    > /usr/include/resolv.h - normally set to 3) nameservers in the
    > /etc/resolv.conf file. The system ignores extra entries.

    Well my ISP only has 2 nameservers, so that is not a problem. I think
    that I did edited some script. Normally I document what I do, but mind
    you it was mdk8.1, long time and this Debian a bit different that the
    Mandrake/Red Hat way. I have had that server up and running for a very
    long time...

    > What may be more important is that the resolver code believes the first
    > answer it gets - so if you ask your local name server about some
    > external name, the answer is NXDOMAIN, and the game is over. In the
    > same manner (and likely what is happening to you), if you ask an
    > external nameserver about a local name, you'll get the same NXDOMAIN
    > answer. What you probably want is to ask "A" name server, and have
    > it resolve the name - no matter if it's internal or external. You
    > probably have small chance (or desire) to have the external name server
    > resolve your internal names, so the next best thing is to only list
    > the internal servers, and tell that server that if it's not
    > authoritative (doesn't know) the answer, then it should ask some
    > designated remote server. This trick is called a caching/forwarding
    > name server, and details on how to set this up are found in Section 6
    > of the DNS-HOWTO.

    Well that is what I am doing, my dns authoritative for my lan, but
    forwards and caches external address. All is fine form any of the
    clients on the lan, it's just this computer, the gateway. Once the ppp0
    is up the resolv.conf get changed I lose my nameserver from that
    machine. I guess it not really important because I don't really use it
    as a workstation. I just is that the old MDK8.1 I did some hack and I
    haven't located my notes yet...

    > -rw-rw-r-- 1 gferg ldp 91563 Dec 23 2001 DNS-HOWTO
    >
    > Generally speaking, your ISP isn't playing Musical IP Addresses with
    > his name servers. None of the ISPs I've used over a twenty year period
    > have ever changed the IP address of their name server, because there is
    > no need to do so.

    I've had the same ISP since mid-90s, not a lot of choices else I'd be on
    broadband. The did change their nameservers IPs once...

    > The PPP Vendor Extension (RFC2153) was created by
    > microsoft because they knew that windoze users are unable to spell DNS,
    > never mind know how to make a one-time setup of their own computer.

    Please, don't get me started on M$. I get called in to "fix" our
    county's library IIS system... give me Apache any day! Bind wasn't too
    hard to figure out, but I would want to imagine MS's version...

    > Thus, you can make a fixed 'forwarder' directive, and if the link is
    > down your name server won't be able to forward requests (which are
    > likely to be for external addresses anyway). This eliminates screwing
    > with the configuration files when the links go up/down.

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------
    LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
    http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com

  16. Re: get pppd to append nameservers to resolv.conf

    On Mon, 28 Jan 2008 10:15:54 +0100, Walter Mautner
    wrote:

    >Frank wrote:
    >
    >> Jonathan N. Little wrote:
    >>
    >>> Have a Kubuntu 7.10 box that is my dialup gateway for my LAN (yeah no
    >>> broadband in this part of the 3rd-world USA) Also have a dns server for
    >>> LAN, when the ppp goes up my local nameserver entry is removed and
    >>> replaced by ISP nameservers. How can I get the pppd to *append* ISP
    >>> nameservers when the ppp goes up?
    >>>

    >> Uhhhh...what makes you think this is a linux ng, huh?
    >> This is a Vista (that's Microsoft pal) ng.
    >> Suggest you try the linux open sores sh*thole for linux help.
    >> Frank

    >From:From: Frank
    >Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.ubuntu
    >Subject: Re: get pppd to append nameservers to resolv.conf
    >Date: Sun, 27 Jan 2008 19:45:30 -0800
    >
    >Now don't drink and post

    Now don't feed this ****, just killfile him and maybe he'll go away
    when he gets no response.

  17. Re: get pppd to append nameservers to resolv.conf

    In article <#VhxTEgYIHA.4448@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl>,
    Frank wrote:

    >Careful mr rat...you don't want to hurt yourself...LOL!

    Don't bother me, Frank, or I'll replace you with a perl script.

    A very short one.

  18. Re: get pppd to append nameservers to resolv.conf

    the wharf rat wrote:
    > In article <#VhxTEgYIHA.4448@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl>,
    > Frank wrote:
    >
    >>Careful mr rat...you don't want to hurt yourself...LOL!

    > Don't bother me, Frank, or I'll replace you with a perl script.
    >
    > A very short one.

    I don't think you could endure the pain.
    Frank

  19. Re: get pppd to append nameservers to resolv.conf

    Walter Mautner wrote:
    > You can run "man resolvconf" for available options. You may end up disabling
    > the service and just use the forwarders in your local DNS.

    I was thinking the same thing, just have your local DNS forward DNS.
    You'd have to keep up on any changes your ISP made to its DNS.

  20. Re: get pppd to append nameservers to resolv.conf

    On Mon, 28 Jan 2008, in the Usenet newsgroup alt.os.linux.ubuntu, in article
    , Jonathan N. Little wrote:

    >Moe Trin wrote:

    [MAXNS in /etc/resolv.conf]

    >Well my ISP only has 2 nameservers, so that is not a problem. I think
    >that I did edited some script. Normally I document what I do, but mind
    >you it was mdk8.1, long time and this Debian a bit different that the
    >Mandrake/Red Hat way. I have had that server up and running for a very
    >long time...

    You are using some wrapper or helper tool (kppp, wvdial, or any of the
    hundreds of similar bloated tools that replace a three line shell
    script), and it has the option to get DNS addresses (which sets the
    "usepeerdns" option to pppd(. The helper then takes the data that pppd
    would put into /etc/ppp/resolv.conf (note the different file name - pppd
    doesn't mess with system files) and transfers that information to the
    /etc/resolv.conf file. Without knowing what the helper or wrapper tool
    is that you are using, I can't tell you what to kick, but it is part of
    the helper or wrapper tool setup.

    >Well that is what I am doing, my dns authoritative for my lan, but
    >forwards and caches external address. All is fine form any of the
    >clients on the lan, it's just this computer, the gateway. Once the
    >ppp0 is up the resolv.conf get changed I lose my nameserver from that
    >machine. I guess it not really important because I don't really use it
    >as a workstation. I just is that the old MDK8.1 I did some hack and I
    >haven't located my notes yet...

    The correct solution is to kick the helper/wrapper tool between the
    ears, but another (less desirable) solution is to set the 'immutable'
    bit on /etc/resolv.conf ('chattr +i /etc/resolv.conf), but it will
    drive you nuts some day when you WANT to change something in that file,
    and get told "permission denied".

    >> Generally speaking, your ISP isn't playing Musical IP Addresses
    >> with his name servers. None of the ISPs I've used over a twenty
    >> year period have ever changed the IP address of their name server,
    >> because there is no need to do so.

    >I've had the same ISP since mid-90s, not a lot of choices else I'd be
    >on broadband. The did change their nameservers IPs once...

    Corporate has had the same nameserver addresses for as long as we've
    had our assignment (over 20 years) and the internal name servers have
    not changed either. There's simply no good reason to do so,
    especially when you have thousands of statically configured systems
    you'd have to fix if you did.

    Old guy

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast