Clock problem with 7.10 - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Clock problem with 7.10 - Ubuntu ; I am working on setting up Ubuntu 7.10. I have it installed and updated. It is on a system with Win XP on one drive and Ubuntu on the other. When I boot up Ubuntu it changes the BIOS clock ...

  1. Clock problem with 7.10

    I am working on setting up Ubuntu 7.10. I have it installed and updated.

    It is on a system with Win XP on one drive and Ubuntu on the other. When I
    boot up Ubuntu it
    changes the BIOS clock 8 hours ahead ?

    When I boot back to XP the clock is out and I keep finding the BIOS clock to
    be changed.

    How do I stop Ubuntu from playing with my BIOS?

  2. Re: Clock problem with 7.10

    in the time settings tell ubuntu to use local time reather than UTC

    as it will by default use utc and store the ofsett value. (i presume you
    are in UTC-8) winblows only works with local time

    Darkelldar wrote:
    > I am working on setting up Ubuntu 7.10. I have it installed and updated.
    >
    > It is on a system with Win XP on one drive and Ubuntu on the other. When
    > I boot up Ubuntu it
    > changes the BIOS clock 8 hours ahead ?
    >
    > When I boot back to XP the clock is out and I keep finding the BIOS
    > clock to be changed.
    >
    > How do I stop Ubuntu from playing with my BIOS?

  3. Re: Clock problem with 7.10

    Roger Rabbit wrote:
    > in the time settings tell ubuntu to use local time reather than UTC
    >
    > as it will by default use utc and store the ofsett value. (i presume you
    > are in UTC-8) winblows only works with local time
    >
    > Darkelldar wrote:
    >> I am working on setting up Ubuntu 7.10. I have it installed and updated.
    >>
    >> It is on a system with Win XP on one drive and Ubuntu on the other.
    >> When I boot up Ubuntu it
    >> changes the BIOS clock 8 hours ahead ?
    >>
    >> When I boot back to XP the clock is out and I keep finding the BIOS
    >> clock to be changed.
    >>
    >> How do I stop Ubuntu from playing with my BIOS?

    Couldn't find a menu item for that after install and probably missed it
    during install.
    Not in my Ubuntu partition, you edit /etc/default/rcS, change utc from
    no to yes (that's from memory, so just change it). By the way rcS is not
    a typo.
    Dave Cohen

  4. Re: Clock problem with 7.10

    On Sun, 27 Jan 2008 01:49:27 +0000, Dave Cohen wrote:

    > Roger Rabbit wrote:
    >> in the time settings tell ubuntu to use local time reather than UTC
    >>
    >> as it will by default use utc and store the ofsett value. (i presume
    >> you are in UTC-8) winblows only works with local time
    >>
    >> Darkelldar wrote:
    >>> I am working on setting up Ubuntu 7.10. I have it installed and
    >>> updated.
    >>>
    >>> It is on a system with Win XP on one drive and Ubuntu on the other.
    >>> When I boot up Ubuntu it
    >>> changes the BIOS clock 8 hours ahead ?
    >>>
    >>> When I boot back to XP the clock is out and I keep finding the BIOS
    >>> clock to be changed.
    >>>
    >>> How do I stop Ubuntu from playing with my BIOS?

    > Couldn't find a menu item for that after install and probably missed it
    > during install.
    > Not in my Ubuntu partition, you edit /etc/default/rcS, change utc from
    > no to yes (that's from memory, so just change it). By the way rcS is not
    > a typo.
    > Dave Cohen

    Right-click the clock and select Preferences. There's a checkbox for utc.

  5. Re: Clock problem with 7.10

    On 2008-01-27, Roger Rabbit hit the keyboard and wrote:

    > Darkelldar wrote:
    >> I am working on setting up Ubuntu 7.10. I have it installed and updated.
    >>
    >> It is on a system with Win XP on one drive and Ubuntu on the other. When
    >> I boot up Ubuntu it
    >> changes the BIOS clock 8 hours ahead ?
    >>
    >> When I boot back to XP the clock is out and I keep finding the BIOS
    >> clock to be changed.
    >>
    >> How do I stop Ubuntu from playing with my BIOS?

    > in the time settings tell ubuntu to use local time reather than UTC
    >
    > as it will by default use utc and store the ofsett value. (i presume you
    > are in UTC-8) winblows only works with local time

    Dragomir Kollaric
    --
    Q: Do you know what the death-rate around here is?
    A: One per person!

  6. Re: Clock problem with 7.10

    Dragomir Kollaric wrote: Absolutly nothing except for posting all the
    thread again :-/

    > On 2008-01-27, Roger Rabbit hit the keyboard and wrote:
    >> Darkelldar wrote:
    >>> I am working on setting up Ubuntu 7.10. I have it installed and updated.
    >>>
    >>> It is on a system with Win XP on one drive and Ubuntu on the other. When
    >>> I boot up Ubuntu it
    >>> changes the BIOS clock 8 hours ahead ?
    >>>
    >>> When I boot back to XP the clock is out and I keep finding the BIOS
    >>> clock to be changed.
    >>>
    >>> How do I stop Ubuntu from playing with my BIOS?

    >> in the time settings tell ubuntu to use local time reather than UTC
    >>
    >> as it will by default use utc and store the ofsett value. (i presume you
    >> are in UTC-8) winblows only works with local time

    > Dragomir Kollaric

  7. Re: Clock problem with 7.10

    On Sun, 27 Jan 2008 16:16:57 +0000, Roger Rabbit wrote:

    > Dragomir Kollaric wrote: Absolutly nothing except for posting all the
    > thread again :-/

    How many newsgroup members does it take...

    --
    Sometimes I wonder whether the world is
    being run by smart people who are putting

  8. Re: Clock problem with 7.10

    On 2008-01-27, Roger Rabbit hit the keyboard and wrote:

    > Dragomir Kollaric wrote: Absolutly nothing except for posting all the
    > thread again :-/

    >>> in the time settings tell ubuntu to use local time reather than UTC
    >>>
    >>> as it will by default use utc and store the ofsett value. (i presume you
    >>> are in UTC-8) winblows only works with local time

    Well of course you didn't notice that I put your
    "top-posting" reply to where it belongs. I'm not surprised
    that many people like yourself just can't seem to shake off
    some weird habits, and "top-posting" is one of them.

    >> Dragomir Kollaric

    Dragomir Kollaric
    --
    Q: Do you know what the death-rate around here is?
    A: One per person!

  9. Re: Clock problem with 7.10

    On Sun, 27 Jan 2008 18:55:23 +0000, Dragomir Kollaric wrote:

    On Sun, 27 Jan 2008 18:55:23 +0000, Dragomir Kollaric wrote:

    > On 2008-01-27, Roger Rabbit hit the keyboard and wrote:
    >>
    >> Dragomir Kollaric wrote: Absolutly nothing except for posting all the
    >> thread again :-/

    > Well of course you didn't notice that I put your
    > "top-posting" reply to where it belongs. I'm not surprised that many
    > people like yourself just can't seem to shake off some weird habits,
    > and "top-posting" is one of them.

    Strange, ain't it... before I started posting to Usenet, I lurked for a
    bit, and I read a few FAQs including some on "netiquette" - so I saw how
    widely top-posting was disliked, and I also read some convincing stuff as
    to *why* it's disliked. For one, there's the fact that it doesn't make
    for quick or easy comprehension when you read the poster's comment all
    isolated at the top of the post, then you have to read down to find out
    the context of what he's posted... It's no secret that top-posting is
    widely considered hateful and stupid, yet a significant minority of
    hateful, stupid people insist on doing it. Hateful and stupid because
    they top-post - hateful and stupid because they keep on top-posting no
    matter how often they're told it's hateful and stupid...

    Now don't get me wrong, I'm all for freedom of expression etc. And that
    includes the right of the hateful and stupid to top-post. In this crazy,
    anarchistic "community" it's important for there to be a right to be
    hateful and stupid. It's equally important for those who oppose
    hatefulness and stupidity to be able to point out the vile idiocy wherever
    it crops up.

    --

    "If we make peaceful revolution impossible, we make violent
    revolution inevitable." - John F Kennedy

+ Reply to Thread