Weird Gutsy Display Behavior - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Weird Gutsy Display Behavior - Ubuntu ; Hey all, just set up a new system for myself at work and I'm running into a problem with my display I absolutely cannot explain. System specs as follows: Asus Maximum Extreme Motherboard Intel Q6600 clocked to 3.0GHz 4gb 1333MHz ...

  1. Weird Gutsy Display Behavior

    Hey all,

    just set up a new system for myself at work and I'm running into a
    problem with my display I absolutely cannot explain.

    System specs as follows:

    Asus Maximum Extreme Motherboard
    Intel Q6600 clocked to 3.0GHz
    4gb 1333MHz DDR3
    2x 150GB Raptors
    nVidia 8800 GTX OC
    22" Widescreen 1680x1050 LCD

    Now problem is this:

    No matter if I use nv or nvidia drivers, the display resolution is set at
    some weird 1920x1080 resolution which is larger than the LCD's native
    resolution.

    And no matter what I do, I can't get it set to 1680x1050. My xorg.conf is
    correct. The only resolution it contains is 1680x1050.

    Windows XP also initially booted with the 1920x1080 resolution but has no
    problems going to 1680x1050 with nVidia drivers installed.

    Any thoughts? Not at work right now so I can't post the xorg.conf but I
    think most everyone here should know me well enough to know that I'm not
    likely to mess up that file...

    Any thoughts? Because I'm totally out of ideas.

    I'm going to do a clean-install again in the morning and try to install
    nVidia's driver from the website without ever touching the restricted
    driver manager and see if that works any better.

    Thanks,

    --
    Stephan
    2003 Yamaha R6

    君の事思い出す日なんてないのは
    君の事忘れたときがないから

  2. Re: Weird Gutsy Display Behavior

    Stephan Rose wrote:
    > Hey all,
    >
    > just set up a new system for myself at work and I'm running into a
    > problem with my display I absolutely cannot explain.
    >
    > System specs as follows:
    >
    > Asus Maximum Extreme Motherboard
    > Intel Q6600 clocked to 3.0GHz
    > 4gb 1333MHz DDR3
    > 2x 150GB Raptors
    > nVidia 8800 GTX OC
    > 22" Widescreen 1680x1050 LCD
    >
    > Now problem is this:
    >
    > No matter if I use nv or nvidia drivers, the display resolution is set at
    > some weird 1920x1080 resolution which is larger than the LCD's native
    > resolution.
    >
    > And no matter what I do, I can't get it set to 1680x1050. My xorg.conf is
    > correct. The only resolution it contains is 1680x1050.
    >
    > Windows XP also initially booted with the 1920x1080 resolution but has no
    > problems going to 1680x1050 with nVidia drivers installed.
    >
    > Any thoughts? Not at work right now so I can't post the xorg.conf but I
    > think most everyone here should know me well enough to know that I'm not
    > likely to mess up that file...
    >
    > Any thoughts? Because I'm totally out of ideas.
    >
    > I'm going to do a clean-install again in the morning and try to install
    > nVidia's driver from the website without ever touching the restricted
    > driver manager and see if that works any better.
    >
    > Thanks,

    I fought Gutsy for 1680x1050 too. Finally got it to stick but I threw
    several things at it so I have no clue which worked.
    I used Envy to install the driver.
    I listed 1680x1050 as the max and some of the other supported
    resolutions, and removed the ones that weren't. None of this seemed to
    matter as unsupported resolutions and resolutions not listed appear in
    the display manager gui.
    I added valid Fv and Fh.
    dpkg-reconfigure -phigh bla bla bla.
    Around and around and around until it worked...

  3. Re: Weird Gutsy Display Behavior

    Stephan Rose wrote:
    > Hey all,
    >
    > just set up a new system for myself at work and I'm running into a
    > problem with my display I absolutely cannot explain.
    >
    > System specs as follows:
    >
    > Asus Maximum Extreme Motherboard
    > Intel Q6600 clocked to 3.0GHz
    > 4gb 1333MHz DDR3
    > 2x 150GB Raptors
    > nVidia 8800 GTX OC
    > 22" Widescreen 1680x1050 LCD
    >
    > Now problem is this:
    >
    > No matter if I use nv or nvidia drivers, the display resolution is set at
    > some weird 1920x1080 resolution which is larger than the LCD's native
    > resolution.
    >
    > And no matter what I do, I can't get it set to 1680x1050. My xorg.conf is
    > correct. The only resolution it contains is 1680x1050.
    >
    > Windows XP also initially booted with the 1920x1080 resolution but has no
    > problems going to 1680x1050 with nVidia drivers installed.
    >
    > Any thoughts? Not at work right now so I can't post the xorg.conf but I
    > think most everyone here should know me well enough to know that I'm not
    > likely to mess up that file...
    >
    > Any thoughts? Because I'm totally out of ideas.
    >
    > I'm going to do a clean-install again in the morning and try to install
    > nVidia's driver from the website without ever touching the restricted
    > driver manager and see if that works any better.
    >
    > Thanks,

    You may already know this...but it is recommended when using the "nvidia
    driver" to uninstall completely the restricted drivers.

    1920x1080 is 1080 HD ... must be due to that monster graphics card you
    got !

  4. Re: Weird Gutsy Display Behavior

    Stephan Rose wrote:

    > just set up a new system for myself at work and I'm running into a
    > problem with my display I absolutely cannot explain.

    > Any thoughts? Because I'm totally out of ideas.

    > I'm going to do a clean-install again in the morning and try to
    > install nVidia's driver from the website without ever touching the
    > restricted driver manager and see if that works any better.

    Just in case you need a bit of advice culled from the NVIDIA driver
    readme file and one of their employees on their forums, here's another
    of my idiot-proof pages.This one's on how to get the NVIDIA driver onto
    your system painlessly. You won't have to touch the restricted driver
    manager, but you'll want to follow the steps on modifying the
    restricted modules file/files:

    http://littlergirl.googlepages.com/N...iverHowTo.html

    I know you know most of the stuff, so feel free to ignore the parts you
    already know. (:

    Another thing that *could* be a culprit is the latest xserver-xorg-core
    file. Although it's supposedly been fixed since the recent update that
    caused everyone trouble, both my son and I are having all sorts of
    problems with the "fixed" one and are running the last known good files
    on our machines. We've locked the files so they can't be updated until
    another version is released.

    In Gutsy Gibbon, if you're using:

    xserver-xorg-core=2:1.3.0.0.dfsg-12ubuntu8.3

    you can try reverting to the last known working xserver-xorg-core file:

    sudo apt-get install xserver-xorg-core=2:1.3.0.0.dfsg-12ubuntu8

    In Feisty Fawn, if you're using:

    xserver-xorg-core=2:1.2.0-3ubuntu8.3

    you can try reverting to the last known working xserver-xorg-core file:

    sudo apt-get install xserver-xorg-core=2:1.2.0-3ubuntu8

    --
    Little Girl

    There is no spoon.

  5. Re: Weird Gutsy Display Behavior

    On Tue, 22 Jan 2008 22:25:51 -0500, Little Girl wrote:

    > Stephan Rose wrote:
    >
    >> just set up a new system for myself at work and I'm running into a
    >> problem with my display I absolutely cannot explain.

    >> Any thoughts? Because I'm totally out of ideas.

    >> I'm going to do a clean-install again in the morning and try to install
    >> nVidia's driver from the website without ever touching the restricted
    >> driver manager and see if that works any better.

    > Just in case you need a bit of advice culled from the NVIDIA driver
    > readme file and one of their employees on their forums, here's another
    > of my idiot-proof pages.This one's on how to get the NVIDIA driver onto
    > your system painlessly. You won't have to touch the restricted driver
    > manager, but you'll want to follow the steps on modifying the restricted
    > modules file/files:
    >
    > http://littlergirl.googlepages.com/N...iverHowTo.html
    >
    > I know you know most of the stuff, so feel free to ignore the parts you
    > already know. (:
    >
    > Another thing that *could* be a culprit is the latest xserver-xorg-core
    > file. Although it's supposedly been fixed since the recent update that
    > caused everyone trouble, both my son and I are having all sorts of
    > problems with the "fixed" one and are running the last known good files
    > on our machines. We've locked the files so they can't be updated until
    > another version is released.

    Little girl, did I tell you yet today that I absolutely love ya?

    I *did* have this odd impression that when I initially installed Ubuntu
    that things looked right and that everything went to crap upon reboot.
    Some time had passed in between though as I had some other things to do
    so I wasn't quite sure anymore...

    I'm fairly certain that what you just mentioned is probably the problem.

    I'll definitely do the clean install in the morning now and report back,
    easiest and quickest method.

    Thanks for the heads up!

    --
    Stephan
    2003 Yamaha R6

    君の事思い出す日なんてないのは
    君の事忘れたときがないから

  6. Re: Weird Gutsy Display Behavior

    Stephan Rose wrote:

    > On Tue, 22 Jan 2008 22:25:51 -0500, Little Girl wrote:

    > > Another thing that *could* be a culprit is the latest
    > > xserver-xorg-core file. Although it's supposedly been fixed since
    > > the recent update that caused everyone trouble, both my son and I
    > > are having all sorts of problems with the "fixed" one and are
    > > running the last known good files on our machines. We've locked the
    > > files so they can't be updated until another version is released.

    > Little girl, did I tell you yet today that I absolutely love ya?

    I love you, too, Stephan. (:

    http://ivythewolf.deviantart.com/art/Hug-57787837

    > I *did* have this odd impression that when I initially installed
    > Ubuntu that things looked right and that everything went to crap upon
    > reboot. Some time had passed in between though as I had some other
    > things to do so I wasn't quite sure anymore...

    > I'm fairly certain that what you just mentioned is probably the
    > problem.

    > I'll definitely do the clean install in the morning now and report
    > back, easiest and quickest method.

    > Thanks for the heads up!

    I'll just add that the one thing we didn't try after the messed up
    xserver-xorg-core update was reinstalling the NVIDIA driver. We just
    reverted back to how things were and have left it that way. Good luck,
    and let me know how it goes. (:

    --
    Little Girl

    There is no spoon.

  7. Re: Weird Gutsy Display Behavior

    On Wed, 23 Jan 2008 13:51:11 -0500, Little Girl wrote:

    > Stephan Rose wrote:
    >
    >> On Tue, 22 Jan 2008 22:25:51 -0500, Little Girl wrote:

    >> > Another thing that *could* be a culprit is the latest
    >> > xserver-xorg-core file. Although it's supposedly been fixed since the
    >> > recent update that caused everyone trouble, both my son and I are
    >> > having all sorts of problems with the "fixed" one and are running the
    >> > last known good files on our machines. We've locked the files so they
    >> > can't be updated until another version is released.

    >> Little girl, did I tell you yet today that I absolutely love ya?

    > I love you, too, Stephan. (:
    >
    > http://ivythewolf.deviantart.com/art/Hug-57787837

    Awww

    >> I *did* have this odd impression that when I initially installed Ubuntu
    >> that things looked right and that everything went to crap upon reboot.
    >> Some time had passed in between though as I had some other things to do
    >> so I wasn't quite sure anymore...

    >> I'm fairly certain that what you just mentioned is probably the
    >> problem.

    >> I'll definitely do the clean install in the morning now and report
    >> back, easiest and quickest method.

    >> Thanks for the heads up!

    > I'll just add that the one thing we didn't try after the messed up
    > xserver-xorg-core update was reinstalling the NVIDIA driver. We just
    > reverted back to how things were and have left it that way. Good luck,
    > and let me know how it goes. (:

    Well turns out that the problem is something different.

    For some stupid and irrational reason the LCD reports 1920x1080 as it's
    best resolution even though it's native is "1680x1050".

    Now looking at the x-server logs with the nvidia driver, the driver *is*
    setting 1680x1050 as the resolution, but somehow this ends up being
    ignored or reset to 1920x1080.

    The xorg-server-core version makes no difference.

    After doing some reading up on xorg.conf, I found out about the "virtual"
    line and added:

    virtual 1680 1050 but still no luck. This line is supposed to limit the
    maximum resolution the driver can pick. Both the nv and nvidia driver
    respect this but...with the nvidia driver I still get 1920x1080. With the
    open source nv driver however, it works. I was now getting 1680x1050
    though without all the benefits of 3D Acceleration.

    After playing some more with the nvidia driver, I managed to get it to
    set a non-1920x1080 resolution by turning off edid modes. However, doing
    that only gave me a resolution of 640x480 and that was it.

    So then I just unplugged my DVI cable and used a VGA cable with a DVI-
    >VGA adapter since my video card has no VGA outs. Problem solved. With

    the VGA cable the nvidia driver can't talk to the monitor and get EDID
    information so it is forced to use whatever resolution *I* want it to use.

    So ultimately, the issue seems to be with the nvidia driver, very latest
    driver on website included.

    --
    Stephan
    1986 Pontiac Fiero GT

    君の事思い出す日なんてないのは
    君の事忘れたときがないから

  8. Re: Weird Gutsy Display Behavior

    Stephan Rose wrote:

    > Well turns out that the problem is something different.

    > For some stupid and irrational reason the LCD reports 1920x1080 as
    > it's best resolution even though it's native is "1680x1050".

    I'd be curious why it does that.

    > Now looking at the x-server logs with the nvidia driver, the driver
    > *is* setting 1680x1050 as the resolution, but somehow this ends up
    > being ignored or reset to 1920x1080.

    Odd, very odd.

    > The xorg-server-core version makes no difference.

    Well, at least you were able to eliminate it as a possible cause. (:

    > After doing some reading up on xorg.conf, I found out about the
    > "virtual" line and added:

    > virtual 1680 1050 but still no luck. This line is supposed to limit
    > the maximum resolution the driver can pick. Both the nv and nvidia
    > driver respect this but...with the nvidia driver I still get
    > 1920x1080. With the open source nv driver however, it works. I was
    > now getting 1680x1050 though without all the benefits of 3D
    > Acceleration.

    Definitely not acceptable. (:

    > After playing some more with the nvidia driver, I managed to get it
    > to set a non-1920x1080 resolution by turning off edid modes. However,
    > doing that only gave me a resolution of 640x480 and that was it.

    That must have looked pretty gruesome.

    > So then I just unplugged my DVI cable and used a VGA cable with a DVI-
    > VGA adapter since my video card has no VGA outs. Problem solved.
    > With the VGA cable the nvidia driver can't talk to the monitor and
    > get EDID information so it is forced to use whatever resolution *I*
    > want it to use.

    I never *ever* would have guessed that this would solve it! Good
    sleuthing! (:

    > So ultimately, the issue seems to be with the nvidia driver, very
    > latest driver on website included.

    Have you let NVIDIA know? Hopefully they'd be interested to know the
    driver is doing that so they can fix it.

    --
    Little Girl

    There is no spoon.

+ Reply to Thread