Ubuntu power use - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Ubuntu power use - Ubuntu ; When my PC has been on for a few hours, long after the screensaver has kicked in, it draws 118W. Similarly, when it's in full use and I'm throwing around windows in Compiz and whatnot, it draws 120W. I'd expect ...

  1. Ubuntu power use

    When my PC has been on for a few hours, long after the screensaver
    has kicked in, it draws 118W.

    Similarly, when it's in full use and I'm throwing around windows in
    Compiz and whatnot, it draws 120W.

    I'd expect a bit more of a difference... are there settings for
    spinning down hard disks and going into a lower power state available
    somewhere?

    --
    -Toby

  2. Re: Ubuntu power use

    On Mon, 21 Jan 2008 19:00:01 +0000, Toby Newman wrote:

    > When my PC has been on for a few hours, long after the screensaver
    > has kicked in, it draws 118W.
    >
    > Similarly, when it's in full use and I'm throwing around windows in
    > Compiz and whatnot, it draws 120W.
    >
    > I'd expect a bit more of a difference... are there settings for
    > spinning down hard disks and going into a lower power state available
    > somewhere?

    man hdparm

  3. Re: Ubuntu power use

    On 2008-01-21, Meat Plow wrote:
    > On Mon, 21 Jan 2008 19:00:01 +0000, Toby Newman wrote:
    >
    >> When my PC has been on for a few hours, long after the screensaver
    >> has kicked in, it draws 118W.
    >>
    >> Similarly, when it's in full use and I'm throwing around windows in
    >> Compiz and whatnot, it draws 120W.
    >>
    >> I'd expect a bit more of a difference... are there settings for
    >> spinning down hard disks and going into a lower power state available
    >> somewhere?

    > man hdparm

    Thanks.

    hdparm -C tells me the current status of the drive (active/idle, standby, or sleeping).
    hdparm -S sets the spindown time for a drive.
    hdparm -y goes straight into standby.

    I can't see any way to get the current spindown time for a drive. I guessed but got
    the following:

    $ hdparm -S /dev/hd*
    -S: bad/missing standby-interval value (0..255)

    --
    -Toby