Wine, Programs list - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Wine, Programs list - Ubuntu ; After I use the wine uninstaller to remove a program, the program is removed but an entry still is listed under Applications/Wine/Programs/ I don't find any entries under /home/user/.wine/drive_c/windows/profiles/All Users/Start Menu/ or/home/user/.wine/drive_c/windows/profiles/user/Start Menu/ or anywhere else I can think of. ...

  1. Wine, Programs list

    After I use the wine uninstaller to remove a program, the program is
    removed but an entry still is listed under Applications/Wine/Programs/ I
    don't find any entries under /home/user/.wine/drive_c/windows/profiles/All
    Users/Start Menu/ or/home/user/.wine/drive_c/windows/profiles/user/Start
    Menu/ or anywhere else I can think of. Where do the menu entries under
    Applications/Wine/Programs/ reside?

  2. Re: Wine, Programs list

    "Carl Hansen" wrote:

    > After I use the wine uninstaller to remove a program, the program is
    > removed but an entry still is listed under
    > Applications/Wine/Programs/ I don't find any entries
    > under /home/user/.wine/drive_c/windows/profiles/All Users/Start Menu/
    > or/home/user/.wine/drive_c/windows/profiles/user/Start Menu/ or
    > anywhere else I can think of. Where do the menu entries under
    > Applications/Wine/Programs/ reside?

    You won't find any entries for your programs in either:

    /home/user/.wine/drive_c/windows/profiles/All Users/Start Menu/

    or

    /home/user/.wine/drive_c/windows/profiles/user/Start Menu/

    The reason for this is that you won't be using the Windows Start Menu
    to run the programs. Wine will create shortcuts in your GNOME or KDE
    menu if you're lucky. If not, you might find them in the Lost & Found
    menu which only shows up if something doesn't get put where it should.
    At worst, you'll have to create a shortcut to an installed program
    yourself using this sort of syntax for the command in the shortcut:

    wine '/home/username/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/windowsprogram.exe'

    When you uninstall a program, you're running the Windows uninstall to
    remove it. Since Windows doesn't know anything about Linux, the
    uninstaller won't remove the shortcut from your Linux menu. You can
    manually remove that by editing the menu (right-clicking the menu in
    KDE gets you into the menu to edit it and should work in GNOME as well).

    --
    Little Girl

    There is no spoon.

  3. Re: Wine, Programs list

    "Carl Hansen" wrote:

    Correction to the post I just sent you. If you create a shortcut to a
    Wine program manually, make sure the command syntax is as follows:

    wine '/home/username/.wine/drive_c/pathtowindowsprogram/windowsprogram.exe'

    Before saving the shortcut, make sure the work path syntax is as
    follows:

    /home/username/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/pathtowindowsprogram

    --
    Little Girl

    There is no spoon.

  4. Re: Wine, Programs list

    On Sun, 20 Jan 2008 15:35:33 -0800, Little Girl
    wrote:

    > "Carl Hansen" wrote:
    >
    > Correction to the post I just sent you. If you create a shortcut to a
    > Wine program manually, make sure the command syntax is as follows:
    >
    > wine
    > '/home/username/.wine/drive_c/pathtowindowsprogram/windowsprogram.exe'
    >
    > Before saving the shortcut, make sure the work path syntax is as
    > follows:
    >
    > /home/username/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/pathtowindowsprogram

    Got it.
    Thanks

  5. Re: Wine, Programs list

    "Carl Hansen" wrote:

    > Little Girl wrote:
    > > wine
    > > '/home/username/.wine/drive_c/pathtowindowsprogram/windowsprogram.exe'
    > >
    > > Before saving the shortcut, make sure the work path syntax is as
    > > follows:
    > >
    > > /home/username/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/pathtowindowsprogram

    > Got it.
    > Thanks

    Any time! My son uses wine to play quite a few games, so if you have
    any other questions, let me know. I have a feeling if there's an issue,
    he's already come across it and figured out a way around it. (:

    --
    Little Girl

    There is no spoon.

  6. Re: Wine, Programs list

    On Sun, 20 Jan 2008 18:29:46 -0500, Little Girl wrote:

    > Wine will create shortcuts in your GNOME or KDE menu if you're
    > lucky.

    I find they usually turn up on the Desktop, which is handy. One
    shortcut/link to the program, and another file which apparently does
    nothing at all!

    --
    Chris Game

    Justify my text? I'm sorry but it has no excuse.

  7. Re: Wine, Programs list

    Little Girl wrote:
    > "Carl Hansen" wrote:
    >
    >> Little Girl wrote:
    >> > wine
    >> > '/home/username/.wine/drive_c/pathtowindowsprogram/windowsprogram.exe'
    >> >
    >> > Before saving the shortcut, make sure the work path syntax is as
    >> > follows:
    >> >
    >> > /home/username/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/pathtowindowsprogram

    >> Got it.
    >> Thanks

    > Any time! My son uses wine to play quite a few games, so if you have
    > any other questions, let me know. I have a feeling if there's an issue,
    > he's already come across it and figured out a way around it. (:

    Hey LG.
    After searching for hours for a Contract Bridge game that would run on
    Linux (for mom...) I gave up and installed wine.
    Bought (aarg!) a program and it runs... sort of. No sound, window goes
    gray and stops responding after a while, typical windows stuff.
    Know of any wine lists or boards where one might find questions already
    asked and answered?

  8. Re: Wine, Programs list

    Chris Game wrote:

    > Little Girl wrote:

    > > Wine will create shortcuts in your GNOME or KDE menu if you're
    > > lucky.

    > I find they usually turn up on the Desktop, which is handy. One
    > shortcut/link to the program, and another file which apparently does
    > nothing at all!

    Yes, that's right - we've seen that as well! Gremlins, I tell you,
    gremlins... (:

    --
    Little Girl

    There is no spoon.

  9. Re: Wine, Programs list

    Fred Williams wrote:

    > Little Girl wrote:

    > > Any time! My son uses wine to play quite a few games, so if you have
    > > any other questions, let me know. I have a feeling if there's an
    > > issue, he's already come across it and figured out a way around it.
    > > (:

    > What always bothers me about Wine is that it's such a tiny
    > window. Is there a way to get it to be full screen?

    Alas, the winecfg window doesn't seem to be able to be resized. The
    winefile window can be run full screen and the text size can be changed.

    --
    Little Girl

    There is no spoon.

  10. Re: Wine, Programs list

    clay wrote:

    > Hey LG.
    > After searching for hours for a Contract Bridge game that would run
    > on Linux (for mom...) I gave up and installed wine.

    Some links you might have missed:

    http://www.linuxsoft.cz/en/sw_list.p...id_kategory=23

    http://www.getdeb.net/category.php?id=3

    http://www.happypenguin.org/

    http://www.games4linux.eu/en/

    http://icculus.org/lgfaq/gamelist.php

    http://www.linux-gamers.net/modules/....php?op=&cid=1

    http://www.linuxlinks.com/Software/Games/

    http://freshmeat.net/articles/view/543/

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Linux_games

    http://games.linux.sk/

    Have fun. (:

    > Bought (aarg!) a program and it runs... sort of. No sound, window
    > goes gray and stops responding after a while, typical windows stuff.
    > Know of any wine lists or boards where one might find questions
    > already asked and answered?

    This is where you want to go if you want to find out how a program has
    run for others, or to add your own review:

    http://appdb.winehq.org/

    Many of the entries are very detailed and give step by step
    instructions on how to overcome certain issues. To research the game
    you bought, there's a little search box on the lower left side of the
    page where you can type in the name of the program.

    There's also the main page for Wine with lots of support and
    information:

    http://www.winehq.org/

    --
    Little Girl

    There is no spoon.

  11. Re: Wine, Programs list

    Little Girl wrote:
    > clay wrote:
    >
    >> Hey LG.
    >> After searching for hours for a Contract Bridge game that would run
    >> on Linux (for mom...) I gave up and installed wine.

    > Some links you might have missed:
    >
    > Have fun. (:

    Thanks for those.
    Many look familiar though I'm sure I didn't visit them all.

    >> Bought (aarg!) a program and it runs... sort of. No sound, window
    >> goes gray and stops responding after a while, typical windows stuff.
    >> Know of any wine lists or boards where one might find questions
    >> already asked and answered?

    > This is where you want to go if you want to find out how a program has
    > run for others, or to add your own review:
    >
    > http://appdb.winehq.org/

    I'll be sure and post about the ap we have. I grabbed the first one that
    had a demo version that would run in wine. Don't even remember the name atm.
    I see some of the games I looked at are already on the list. Probably
    should have done more research (and visited the wine site) before
    plunking down the $$.
    Mom is happy for now with the one we got. Still need to get the sound to
    work so she can be heckled by the other players.
    At 71, this is her first computer. She's been using dads Mac for her
    music (she sings with the college choir,) email, and playing Bridge.
    She really resists (gets frustrated with) any technical aspects of
    computing and dads Mac is a little long in the tooth, requiring a gentle
    nudge now and then to keep it going.
    My hope is her new computer will be less intimidating and less flaky
    than the Mac so she might be interested in learning some stuff on it.
    Sadly, it's turning out to be my worst build yet. Isn't that how it
    goes... Build a half dozen boxes for myself and they all work fine.
    Build one to give away and it's a pita.

    > There's also the main page for Wine with lots of support and
    > information:
    >
    > http://www.winehq.org/

    I have (had) no desire or intention to ever use wine. Rather, find ways
    to do what I need to do in Linux, using Linux apps.
    wine seems to me like cheating, or conceding defeat.
    Now that I've tried it, there may be a place for it on one of my computers.

  12. Re: Wine, Programs list

    On Tue, 22 Jan 2008 12:09:11 -0800, clay wrote:

    > My hope is her new computer will be less intimidating and less
    > flaky than the Mac

    Eh? Some mistake here shirley?

    --
    Chris Game

    "PL..- Ah, just a moment [twiddle, fiddle, clickety-tweak] (got it!)
    -..ONK!"

  13. Re: Wine, Programs list

    Chris Game wrote:
    > On Tue, 22 Jan 2008 12:09:11 -0800, clay wrote:
    >
    >> My hope is her new computer will be less intimidating and less
    >> flaky than the Mac

    > Eh? Some mistake here shirley?

    No mistake.
    The Mac is an older G4 AGP 450 with 384 of PC100 and he's up to... what
    is it? Panther? on it.
    Fresh install though!
    Used to be upgrade on top of upgrade on top of upgrade. Little beach
    ball starts spinning and you'd hold your breath...
    HDD finally gave up last year. It's a ton quicker with a HDD made in
    this century and only one OS to worry about.
    Still, not the fastest box in the closet.

    And, stop calling me shirley!

  14. Re: Wine, Programs list

    Little Girl wrote:
    >> Bought (aarg!) a program and it runs... sort of. No sound, window
    >> goes gray and stops responding after a while, typical windows stuff.
    >> Know of any wine lists or boards where one might find questions
    >> already asked and answered?

    > This is where you want to go if you want to find out how a program has
    > run for others, or to add your own review:
    >
    > http://appdb.winehq.org/

    And don't believe all you read there: eg Pegasus email "One of the
    oldest and best email apps on the market. (Runs great under Wine!)"

    No way :-( It's quite unusable (I've another current thread about
    this). On another page they do admit (at least for the latest version)
    "not usable in a productive environment."

    Hmmm. Not exactly a consistent evaluation.

    --
    Mike Scott (unet scottsonline.org.uk)
    Harlow Essex England

  15. Re: Wine, Programs list

    Mike Scott wrote:

    > Little Girl wrote:
    > > This is where you want to go if you want to find out how a program
    > > has run for others, or to add your own review:

    > > http://appdb.winehq.org/

    > And don't believe all you read there: eg Pegasus email "One of the
    > oldest and best email apps on the market. (Runs great under Wine!)"

    > No way :-( It's quite unusable (I've another current thread about
    > this). On another page they do admit (at least for the latest
    > version) "not usable in a productive environment."

    > Hmmm. Not exactly a consistent evaluation.

    This is where the part I mentioned in the Pegasus email thread comes
    in. Pegasus may well have run great under Wine in a certain version of
    Wine. The version you tried it under may be hostile to it. My son runs
    lots of games under Wine, one of them being Vampire the Masquerade -
    Redemption. That game ran flawlessly under Wine v0.9.52 but won't even
    load under v0.9.53. He also ran Fallout flawlessly under Wine v0.9.11
    and hasn't been able to load it under any of the updates since. That's
    the problem with Wine. They fix something that breaks other things and
    then don't do anything about it for quite some time - if ever. (:

    --
    Little Girl

    There is no spoon.

  16. Re: Wine, Programs list

    On Wed, 23 Jan 2008 13:24:15 -0500, Little Girl wrote:

    > My son runs
    > lots of games under Wine, one of them being Vampire the Masquerade -
    > Redemption. That game ran flawlessly under Wine v0.9.52 but won't even
    > load under v0.9.53. He also ran Fallout flawlessly under Wine v0.9.11
    > and hasn't been able to load it under any of the updates since. That's
    > the problem with Wine. They fix something that breaks other things and
    > then don't do anything about it for quite some time - if ever. (:

    Hmm. So wine turns out to be an even better emulator of its original
    than I had thought.

    ;-)

  17. Re: Wine, Programs list

    Mark South wrote:

    > Little Girl wrote:

    > > My son runs
    > > lots of games under Wine, one of them being Vampire the Masquerade -
    > > Redemption. That game ran flawlessly under Wine v0.9.52 but won't
    > > even load under v0.9.53. He also ran Fallout flawlessly under Wine
    > > v0.9.11 and hasn't been able to load it under any of the updates
    > > since. That's the problem with Wine. They fix something that breaks
    > > other things and then don't do anything about it for quite some
    > > time - if ever. (:

    > Hmm. So wine turns out to be an even better emulator of its original
    > than I had thought.

    > ;-)

    LOL! Probably right... (:

    --
    Little Girl

    There is no spoon.

  18. Re: Wine, Programs list

    Little Girl wrote:
    > Mike Scott wrote:
    >
    >> Little Girl wrote:
    >>> This is where you want to go if you want to find out how a program
    >>> has run for others, or to add your own review:

    >>> http://appdb.winehq.org/

    >> And don't believe all you read there: eg Pegasus email "One of the
    >> oldest and best email apps on the market. (Runs great under Wine!)"

    >> No way :-( It's quite unusable (I've another current thread about
    >> this). On another page they do admit (at least for the latest
    >> version) "not usable in a productive environment."

    >> Hmmm. Not exactly a consistent evaluation.

    > This is where the part I mentioned in the Pegasus email thread comes
    > in. Pegasus may well have run great under Wine in a certain version of
    > Wine. The version you tried it under may be hostile to it. My son runs
    > lots of games under Wine, one of them being Vampire the Masquerade -
    > Redemption. That game ran flawlessly under Wine v0.9.52 but won't even
    > load under v0.9.53. He also ran Fallout flawlessly under Wine v0.9.11
    > and hasn't been able to load it under any of the updates since. That's
    > the problem with Wine. They fix something that breaks other things and
    > then don't do anything about it for quite some time - if ever. (:

    I take your point. But what you're saying emphasizes that their list of
    'ok' programs is - to be blunt - really rather useless for most people.

    I wonder if some people are using "real" windows dll's to get programs
    to run under wine, and then not mentioning it.

    --
    Mike Scott (unet scottsonline.org.uk)
    Harlow Essex England

  19. Re: Wine, Programs list

    Mike Scott wrote:

    > Little Girl wrote:
    > > This is where the part I mentioned in the Pegasus email thread comes
    > > in. Pegasus may well have run great under Wine in a certain version
    > > of Wine. The version you tried it under may be hostile to it. My
    > > son runs lots of games under Wine, one of them being Vampire the
    > > Masquerade - Redemption. That game ran flawlessly under Wine
    > > v0.9.52 but won't even load under v0.9.53. He also ran Fallout
    > > flawlessly under Wine v0.9.11 and hasn't been able to load it under
    > > any of the updates since. That's the problem with Wine. They fix
    > > something that breaks other things and then don't do anything about
    > > it for quite some time - if ever. (:

    > I take your point. But what you're saying emphasizes that their list
    > of 'ok' programs is - to be blunt - really rather useless for most
    > people.

    You do have to do some research. Many of the entries on the
    http://appdb.winehq.org/ page have very detailed reports where things
    like version numbers, patches and other things are described.

    > I wonder if some people are using "real" windows dll's to get
    > programs to run under wine, and then not mentioning it.

    That's actually recommended in some cases. (:

    --
    Little Girl

    There is no spoon.

+ Reply to Thread