replacing some windows utilites - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on replacing some windows utilites - Ubuntu ; Hi NG the purpose is to create a script that: Copy files from a samba network share to a local mounted device (i used robocopy in win) do not copy over existing, identical files delete all files older then 365 ...

  1. replacing some windows utilites

    Hi NG

    the purpose is to create a script that:
    Copy files from a samba network share to a local mounted device (i used
    robocopy in win) do not copy over existing, identical files
    delete all files older then 365 days
    burn a DVD (that I do with k3b).
    Are there any utilities, or do I have to use a script?
    --
    :-)

  2. Re: replacing some windows utilites

    * Holz :
    > Hi NG
    >
    > the purpose is to create a script that:
    > Copy files from a samba network share to a local mounted device (i used
    > robocopy in win) do not copy over existing, identical files
    > delete all files older then 365 days
    > burn a DVD (that I do with k3b).
    > Are there any utilities, or do I have to use a script?

    Having copy and delete as separate operations, I think that rsync and
    find would fit the bill.

    --
    James Michael Fultz
    Remove this part when replying ^^^^^^^^

  3. Re: replacing some windows utilites

    On 2008-01-18, James Michael Fultz wrote:
    > * Holz :
    >> Hi NG
    >>
    >> the purpose is to create a script that:
    >> Copy files from a samba network share to a local mounted device (i used
    >> robocopy in win) do not copy over existing, identical files
    >> delete all files older then 365 days
    >> burn a DVD (that I do with k3b).
    >> Are there any utilities, or do I have to use a script?

    > Having copy and delete as separate operations, I think that rsync and
    > find would fit the bill.

    Unison might suit you needs.

    The deleting files olde than x days may need a script/seperate operation. Still
    Linux has tools that do one job, but does that job very well.

+ Reply to Thread