Wireless Roaming Problem - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Wireless Roaming Problem - Ubuntu ; I recently set up a wireless network at home. It is my first, believe it or not, attempt to use wireless. In fact I have my first laptop with wireless capability. Here is the problem as I see it. When ...

  1. Wireless Roaming Problem

    I recently set up a wireless network at home. It is my first, believe it
    or not, attempt to use wireless. In fact I have my first laptop with
    wireless capability.

    Here is the problem as I see it.

    When I have my wireless connection set to roaming, it picks up a number
    of wireless networks in my neighborhood. Most are secure, but some are
    not. The strongest signal from the outside is stronger than the one from
    my wireless box. What happens is that that strong signal takes over and
    resets my DNS entries. Yes, it erases the ones I had put in and sticks in
    its own.

    When I don't set the wireless connection to roam and just put in the
    constants for my system, it all works well. Except for one thing, I no
    longer get signal strength bars in the menu bar. I can live with that,
    but it is curious.

    Then this happens. I then set it to roam to see the signal strength bars.
    All are there, including my own. Now when I try to connect to my network,
    I can't. When I check my DNS entries, I find they have been altered.

    Is there a way I can LOCK my DNS entries so the damn powerful signal in
    my neighborhood wont' over ride them?

    Al

  2. Re: Wireless Roaming Problem

    Al wrote:
    > I recently set up a wireless network at home. It is my first, believe it
    > or not, attempt to use wireless. In fact I have my first laptop with
    > wireless capability.
    >
    > Here is the problem as I see it.
    >
    > When I have my wireless connection set to roaming, it picks up a number
    > of wireless networks in my neighborhood. Most are secure, but some are
    > not. The strongest signal from the outside is stronger than the one from
    > my wireless box. What happens is that that strong signal takes over and
    > resets my DNS entries. Yes, it erases the ones I had put in and sticks in
    > its own.
    >
    > When I don't set the wireless connection to roam and just put in the
    > constants for my system, it all works well. Except for one thing, I no
    > longer get signal strength bars in the menu bar. I can live with that,
    > but it is curious.
    >
    > Then this happens. I then set it to roam to see the signal strength bars.
    > All are there, including my own. Now when I try to connect to my network,
    > I can't. When I check my DNS entries, I find they have been altered.
    >
    > Is there a way I can LOCK my DNS entries so the damn powerful signal in
    > my neighborhood wont' over ride them?
    >
    > Al

    Here's what you need to do. Assuming you have a router for wireless
    access, change the channel from the default Channel 11 to Channel 6.
    That should fix your problem.

+ Reply to Thread