Re: Evolution - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Re: Evolution - Ubuntu ; Fred Williams illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing: > This is interesting. I started up my computer this morning and read my > mail using Evolution the way I have done for several years now, and > found that one of my ...

  1. Re: Evolution

    Fred Williams illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    > This is interesting. I started up my computer this morning and read my
    > mail using Evolution the way I have done for several years now, and
    > found that one of my outgoing emails from yesterday wasn't sent. It
    > was sitting in the outbox. I had thought everything had gone well with
    > it last night and it was on it's way.
    > So I openned it and hit the send button and got
    >
    > " Error while performing operation.
    > MAIL FROM command failed:
    > <(my address)>... Permission Denied
    > "
    > I don't know why I should be getting this now or what's causing it. I
    > tried going into my administration account and gave myself email user
    > account admin privileges, but that changed nothing. I then tried a
    > test message to another address and got the same result. Apparently
    > for some reason I am no longer allowed to send email, but this is my
    > own home machine. Please help as this is vital.

    Possible password issue, or your ISP is having server trouble.

    Also...
    Has your ISP chnged the way it allows emails to be sent?

    It's possible. Check
    Edit -> Preferences -> Mail Accounts
    Select the account in question
    Click the "Edit" button on the right
    Check the settings are what you ISP requires. The one to look for will
    be "server requires authentication".
    And set up the other details as your ISP requires.

    HTH

    --
    Moog

    mashed potatoes"

  2. Re: Evolution

    Fred Williams illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:

    > <...>
    > OK it's a problem with the ISP, they think. They had a major security
    > event on the weekend and they have been doing things ever since to
    > block the intrusions. Their help guy, who is very good, took me
    > through a number of things and they didn't work. However he is
    > continuing to research the problem and is going to call me back. So we
    > can stand down on the effort here. Thank-you everybody.
    > Thay are a pretty good ISP and took me even though I have a linux box.
    > The help guy doesn't know much about Linux, but he is a whiz with
    > networking and high speed boxes and he stays with me for hours if need
    > be. Other people at the company use Linux themselves and I know they'll
    > come up with something. They gave me a short term fix and we'll have
    > something better in time.
    > Thanks Moog.

    No worries.

    --