can't delete linux partitions - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on can't delete linux partitions - Ubuntu ; Just experimenting with Kubuntu, I installed it on an pc that has XP on it. I now want to delete this linux installation and recoup the hard drive space. I have the LiveCD that I downloaded to install Kubuntu, and ...

  1. can't delete linux partitions

    Just experimenting with Kubuntu, I installed it on an pc that has XP on it.
    I now want to delete this linux installation and recoup the hard drive
    space. I have the LiveCD that I downloaded to install Kubuntu, and I have my
    XP CD. Any help?

  2. Re: can't delete linux partitions

    Botteon wrote:

    > Any help?

    From the lice cd you can use gparted under system>administration
    On XP partition manager
    Control panel
    Computer administration
    system management
    disk manager

    --
    :-)

  3. Re: can't delete linux partitions

    On 2008-01-14, Holz wrote:
    > Botteon wrote:
    >
    >> Any help?

    > From the lice cd you can use gparted under system>administration
    > On XP partition manager
    > Control panel
    > Computer administration
    > system management
    > disk manager

    Gparted comes as a live CD. You may also wish to go this route.

    Thought, why can not Ms Windows claim the space back? ;-)

  4. Re: can't delete linux partitions

    On Mon, 14 Jan 2008 04:06:32 +0000, Gordon wrote:

    > Gparted comes as a live CD. You may also wish to go this route.

    Has anyone ever used this successfully? It always goes into some weird
    video mode on me.

    --
    Hofstadter's Law: It always takes longer than you expect,
    even when you take into account Hofstadter's Law.

    Cole's Law: Thinly sliced cabbage.

  5. Re: can't delete linux partitions

    On Mon, 14 Jan 2008 05:09:20 +0000, Trevor Best wrote:

    > On Mon, 14 Jan 2008 04:06:32 +0000, Gordon wrote:
    >
    >> Gparted comes as a live CD. You may also wish to go this route.

    > Has anyone ever used this successfully? It always goes into some weird
    > video mode on me.

    I've been using the gparted liveCD for ages, it's always done exactly
    what it said on the tin, and sans weird video modes.

    Mark
    --
    Signature likes watching Youtube: weird video ├* la mode.

  6. Re: can't delete linux partitions

    Trevor Best wrote:
    > Has anyone ever used this successfully?

    Yes.

    --Benjamin Franklin

  7. Re: can't delete linux partitions

    On Sun, 13 Jan 2008 21:02:04 -0500, Botteon wrote:

    > Just experimenting with Kubuntu, I installed it on an pc that has XP on it.
    > I now want to delete this linux installation and recoup the hard drive
    > space. I have the LiveCD that I downloaded to install Kubuntu, and I have my
    > XP CD. Any help?

    I guess you would boot the Live CD, run gparted and delete the partitions
    and resize xp then boot with xp cd to restore the MBR - though I've never
    done that.

  8. Re: can't delete linux partitions

    I did exactly that, except when i tried to run "r" for repair, the recovery
    console asked me admin pw, which who could remember, I don't ever remember
    entering one. So I was hung up trying to boot xp. so i reinstalled linux
    just so i could boot xp. Sure would like to get rid of linux and just be
    able to boot xp and not lose all my data

    "ray" wrote in message
    newsan.2008.01.14.16.31.42.320521@zianet.com...
    > On Sun, 13 Jan 2008 21:02:04 -0500, Botteon wrote:
    >
    >> Just experimenting with Kubuntu, I installed it on an pc that has XP on
    >> it.
    >> I now want to delete this linux installation and recoup the hard drive
    >> space. I have the LiveCD that I downloaded to install Kubuntu, and I have
    >> my
    >> XP CD. Any help?

    > I guess you would boot the Live CD, run gparted and delete the partitions
    > and resize xp then boot with xp cd to restore the MBR - though I've never
    > done that.

  9. Re: can't delete linux partitions

    Botteon wrote:
    > I did exactly that, except when i tried to run "r" for repair, the recovery
    > console asked me admin pw, which who could remember, I don't ever remember
    > entering one. So I was hung up trying to boot xp. so i reinstalled linux
    > just so i could boot xp. Sure would like to get rid of linux and just be
    > able to boot xp and not lose all my data

    Please don't top post.

    You have 2 options.

    1, provided you have a floppy drive - open a dos prompt, put a blank
    floppy in the drive and issue this command *format a: /s* minus the *
    then copy fdisk from XP to it, not sure where it is, probably in root of
    the windows folder, if it's not you'll have to search for it.

    now reboot, you may have to go into the BIOS to set boot option so that
    the floppy drive is the first option unless you have the option to press
    F11 ( maybe F8 or F12) on the initial boot screen to boot from another
    device.

    Once booted from the floppy issue command *fdisk /mbr* minus the*

    2, GIYF

    Ram

  10. Re: can't delete linux partitions

    Trevor Best wrote:

    > Has anyone ever used this successfully? It always goes into some weird
    > video mode on me

    There were a couple of version that were not compatiblewith certain video
    card. I currently use 0.4 and it's fine. What type of monitor/card or
    laptop do you have?
    --
    :-)

  11. Re: can't delete linux partitions

    not sure what top posting is mr. Ram. But finally got my answer, so thanks
    to all. Since I don't have a floppy drive (hard to find a new computer with
    one) my answer was to boot xp in safe mode, which allowed me to see my
    administrator button. I logged on as admin and changed my admin pw (you
    don't need to know one, and aren't asked for one if you never entered one in
    the first place). Then I booted from the xp cd, hit "r" for repair, and this
    time my admin pw took, and I was able to get a C prompt, which allowed me
    to use "fixmbr", and a second later i was back in business. Now I reused the
    gparted live cd to get rid of the linux partitions, expand the xp partition
    again, and all was as before, experiment over. Again, thanks to the
    community, which never fails to have answers.

    "Ram" wrote in message
    > Botteon wrote:
    >> I did exactly that, except when i tried to run "r" for repair, the
    >> recovery console asked me admin pw, which who could remember, I don't
    >> ever remember entering one. So I was hung up trying to boot xp. so i
    >> reinstalled linux just so i could boot xp. Sure would like to get rid of
    >> linux and just be able to boot xp and not lose all my data
    >>

    > Please don't top post.
    >
    > You have 2 options.
    >
    > 1, provided you have a floppy drive - open a dos prompt, put a blank
    > floppy in the drive and issue this command *format a: /s* minus the *
    > then copy fdisk from XP to it, not sure where it is, probably in root of
    > the windows folder, if it's not you'll have to search for it.
    >
    > now reboot, you may have to go into the BIOS to set boot option so that
    > the floppy drive is the first option unless you have the option to press
    > F11 ( maybe F8 or F12) on the initial boot screen to boot from another
    > device.
    >
    > Once booted from the floppy issue command *fdisk /mbr* minus the*
    >
    > 2, GIYF
    >

    > Ram

  12. Re: can't delete linux partitions

    Botteon wrote: ** and top-posted. Fixed **
    > "Ram" wrote in message
    >> Botteon wrote:
    >>
    >>> I did exactly that, except when i tried to run "r" for repair,
    >>> the recovery console asked me admin pw, which who could remember,
    >>> I don't ever remember entering one. So I was hung up trying to
    >>> boot xp. so i reinstalled linux just so i could boot xp. Sure
    >>> would like to get rid of linux and just be able to boot xp and
    >>> not lose all my data

    >> Please don't top post.
    >>
    >> You have 2 options.
    >>
    >> 1, provided you have a floppy drive - open a dos prompt, put a
    >> blank floppy in the drive and issue this command *format a: /s*
    >> minus the * then copy fdisk from XP to it, not sure where it is,
    >> probably in root of the windows folder, if it's not you'll have
    >> to search for it.
    >>
    >> now reboot, you may have to go into the BIOS to set boot option
    >> so that the floppy drive is the first option unless you have the
    >> option to press F11 ( maybe F8 or F12) on the initial boot screen
    >> to boot from another device.
    >>
    >> Once booted from the floppy issue command *fdisk /mbr* minus the*
    >>
    >> 2, GIYF

    > not sure what top posting is mr. Ram. But finally got my answer,
    > so thanks to all. Since I don't have a floppy drive (hard to find
    > a new computer with one) my answer was to boot xp in safe mode,
    > which allowed me to see my administrator button. I logged on as
    > admin and changed my admin pw (you don't need to know one, and
    > aren't asked for one if you never entered one in the first place).
    > Then I booted from the xp cd, hit "r" for repair, and this time
    > my admin pw took, and I was able to get a C prompt, which allowed

    < me to use "fixmbr", and a second later i was back in business.
    > Now I reused the gparted live cd to get rid of the linuxpartition
    > partitions, expand the xp again, and all was as before,
    > experiment over. Again, thanks to the community, which never
    > fails to have answers.

    I fixed this top-posting. Now you can see the result makes sense,
    instead of being a jumbled up mess. More details below and in the
    links.

    irrelevant material. See the following links:

    --

    (taming google)
    (newusers)

  13. Re: can't delete linux partitions

    Botteon wrote:
    > not sure what top posting is mr. Ram. ...
    >

    > "Ram" wrote in message
    >> Botteon wrote:

    "Top posting" is putting your reply to a message on top of the message
    replied to, as in your last message. It is a small courtesy, but seeing
    the original comment, followed by yours below is easier than having to
    scroll up to the top of the message. These small courtesies add up in
    many messages every day in just this message group. Another is to trim
    away uncommented parts of the original post. Thanks in advance for your
    future co-operation. I know some programs put the cursor originally at
    the top of a message, but it is easily moved down.

    --
    ++====+=====+=====+=====+=====+====+====+=====+=== ==+=====+=====+====++
    ||Arnold VICTOR, New York City, i. e., ||

  14. Re: can't delete linux partitions

    > "Top posting" is putting your reply to a message on top of the message
    > replied to, as in your last message. It is a small courtesy, but seeing
    > the original comment, followed by yours below is easier than having to
    > scroll up to the top of the message. These small courtesies add up in many
    > messages every day in just this message group. Another is to trim away
    > uncommented parts of the original post. Thanks in advance for your future
    > co-operation. I know some programs put the cursor originally at the top of
    > a message, but it is easily moved down.

    Thanks AV3

  15. Re: can't delete linux partitions

    On Mon, 14 Jan 2008 20:06:43 -0500, Botteon wrote:

    > not sure what top posting is mr. Ram. But finally got my answer, so thanks
    > to all. Since I don't have a floppy drive (hard to find a new computer with
    > one) my answer was to boot xp in safe mode, which allowed me to see my
    > administrator button. I logged on as admin and changed my admin pw (you
    > don't need to know one, and aren't asked for one if you never entered one in
    > the first place). Then I booted from the xp cd, hit "r" for repair, and this
    > time my admin pw took, and I was able to get a C prompt, which allowed me
    > to use "fixmbr", and a second later i was back in business. Now I reused the
    > gparted live cd to get rid of the linux partitions, expand the xp partition
    > again, and all was as before, experiment over. Again, thanks to the
    > community, which never fails to have answers.

    'Top posting' consists of posting your reply at the top of the message
    rather than the bottom. There are quite a few folk who are absolutely anal
    about it since they feel it interferes with the logical flow of the

    BTW - your are correct that many PCs these days come without floppy disks
    - it's quite handy to have a USB floppy around for the rare occassions -
    they are not terribly expensive.

    > "Ram" wrote in message
    >> Botteon wrote:
    >>> I did exactly that, except when i tried to run "r" for repair, the
    >>> recovery console asked me admin pw, which who could remember, I don't
    >>> ever remember entering one. So I was hung up trying to boot xp. so i
    >>> reinstalled linux just so i could boot xp. Sure would like to get rid of
    >>> linux and just be able to boot xp and not lose all my data
    >>>

    >> Please don't top post.
    >>
    >> You have 2 options.
    >>
    >> 1, provided you have a floppy drive - open a dos prompt, put a blank
    >> floppy in the drive and issue this command *format a: /s* minus the *
    >> then copy fdisk from XP to it, not sure where it is, probably in root of
    >> the windows folder, if it's not you'll have to search for it.
    >>
    >> now reboot, you may have to go into the BIOS to set boot option so that
    >> the floppy drive is the first option unless you have the option to press
    >> F11 ( maybe F8 or F12) on the initial boot screen to boot from another
    >> device.
    >>
    >> Once booted from the floppy issue command *fdisk /mbr* minus the*
    >>
    >> 2, GIYF
    >>

    >> Ram

  16. Re: can't delete linux partitions

    "ray" wrote in message
    newsan.2008.01.15.15.26.34.195501@zianet.com...

    > 'Top posting' consists of posting your reply at the top of the message
    > rather than the bottom. There are quite a few folk who are absolutely anal
    > about it since they feel it interferes with the logical flow of the
    >
    > BTW - your are correct that many PCs these days come without floppy disks
    > - it's quite handy to have a USB floppy around for the rare occassions -
    > they are not terribly expensive.

    Thanks Ray. Thanks to the group too!

  17. Re: can't delete linux partitions

    On Mon, 14 Jan 2008 17:00:19 -0800, Holz wrote:

    > Trevor Best wrote:
    >
    >> Has anyone ever used this successfully? It always goes into some weird
    >> video mode on me

    > There were a couple of version that were not compatiblewith certain video
    > card. I currently use 0.4 and it's fine. What type of monitor/card or
    > laptop do you have?

    HP DV6000 Geforce Go 7400

    --
    Hofstadter's Law: It always takes longer than you expect,
    even when you take into account Hofstadter's Law.

    Cole's Law: Thinly sliced cabbage.

+ Reply to Thread