Asus Eee PC - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Asus Eee PC - Ubuntu ; Does anyone out there know anything about the Asus Eee PC? A friend asked me to search for info on this thing and though it looks kind of interesting I haven't been able to find any real details. Maybe someone ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 30

Thread: Asus Eee PC

  1. Asus Eee PC

    Does anyone out there know anything about the Asus Eee PC? A friend
    asked me to search for info on this thing and though it looks kind of
    interesting I haven't been able to find any real details. Maybe
    someone here can help.
    - what linux does it use?
    - Asus site says it sports an Intel mobile CPU. Which one?
    - single or dual core?
    - 32 or 64 bits?
    - CPU speed?

    Has anyone used one of these things/have opinions?
    Any info appreciated.

    Roy

  2. Re: Asus Eee PC

    Roy Strachan wrote:
    > Does anyone out there know anything about the Asus Eee PC? A friend
    > asked me to search for info on this thing and though it looks kind of
    > interesting I haven't been able to find any real details. Maybe
    > someone here can help.
    > - what linux does it use?
    > - Asus site says it sports an Intel mobile CPU. Which one?
    > - single or dual core?
    > - 32 or 64 bits?
    > - CPU speed?
    >
    > Has anyone used one of these things/have opinions?
    > Any info appreciated.
    >
    > Roy


    GIYF

  3. Re: Asus Eee PC

    On Sun, 13 Jan 2008 09:45:12 +0000, Roy Strachan wrote:

    > Does anyone out there know anything about the Asus Eee PC? A friend
    > asked me to search for info on this thing and though it looks kind of
    > interesting I haven't been able to find any real details. Maybe someone
    > here can help.
    > - what linux does it use?
    > - Asus site says it sports an Intel mobile CPU. Which one? - single
    > or dual core?
    > - 32 or 64 bits?
    > - CPU speed?


    http://www.notebookreview.com/default.asp?newsID=4055

    --
    Robert http://www.arumes.com

  4. Re: Asus Eee PC

    On Sun, 13 Jan 2008 09:45:12 +0000, Roy Strachan wrote:

    > Does anyone out there know anything about the Asus Eee PC? A friend
    > asked me to search for info on this thing and though it looks kind of
    > interesting I haven't been able to find any real details.


    Wow. That's pretty poor. It's almost as easy to find EEEPC info as it
    is to find pr0n on the InterWeb. And full details are on Wikipedia:

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eee_pc

    > Maybe someone here can help.


    Done, see above.

    > - what linux does it use?


    Xandros.

    > - Asus site says it sports an Intel mobile CPU. Which one? - single
    > or dual core?


    900 MHz Celeron M.

    > - 32 or 64 bits?


    32.

    > - CPU speed?


    Clocked down to 630 MHz to save power.

    > Has anyone used one of these things/have opinions? Any info appreciated.


    All the details are at

    http://eeepc.asus.com/global/product.htm
    http://www.eeeuser.com

    This is intended as positive criticism: you have room for improvement
    when it comes to Internet research skills. It took me less than 2
    minutes to locate all those links.

  5. Re: Asus Eee PC

    On 13 Jan 2008 12:21:47 +0100, Mark South wrote:

    > On Sun, 13 Jan 2008 09:45:12 +0000, Roy Strachan wrote:
    >
    >> - Asus site says it sports an Intel mobile CPU. Which one? - single
    >> or dual core?

    >
    > 900 MHz Celeron M.
    >
    >> - 32 or 64 bits?

    >
    > 32.
    >
    >> - CPU speed?

    >
    > Clocked down to 630 MHz to save power.
    >
    >> Has anyone used one of these things/have opinions? Any info appreciated.


    Not quite good enough for a mission critical role in the MS silo
    then?

    --
    Chris Game

    "Keep things a simple as possible, but not simpler."
    -- Albert Einstein

  6. Re: Asus Eee PC

    Robert Spanjaard wrote:
    > On Sun, 13 Jan 2008 09:45:12 +0000, Roy Strachan wrote:
    >
    >> Does anyone out there know anything about the Asus Eee PC? A friend
    >> asked me to search for info on this thing and though it looks kind of
    >> interesting I haven't been able to find any real details. Maybe
    >> someone here can help.
    >> - what linux does it use?
    >> - Asus site says it sports an Intel mobile CPU. Which one? -
    >> single or dual core?
    >> - 32 or 64 bits?
    >> - CPU speed?

    >
    > http://www.notebookreview.com/default.asp?newsID=4055


    That's a very good review, and it goes on and gets better

    http://www.notebookreview.com/default.asp?newsId=4062 Asus Eee PC Tweak
    Guide -- this little machine was as powerful as notebooks four to five
    times its price. The Xandros Linux environment could be expanded with
    more traditional programs ... For those of you wondering how this system
    performs inside Windows XP, here are some benchmarks ... upgrading the
    Eee PC ... just pop out the RAM, and replace it with either a 1GB or 2GB
    DDR2 667MHz replacement.


    --
    Mike Easter


  7. Re: Asus Eee PC

    On Sun, 13 Jan 2008 13:50:47 +0000, Chris Game wrote:

    >>> Has anyone used one of these things/have opinions? Any info
    >>> appreciated.

    >
    > Not quite good enough for a mission critical role in the MS silo then?


    The line to which you replied is not one that I wrote...?

  8. Re: Asus Eee PC

    On 13 Jan 2008 12:21:47 +0100, Mark South
    wrote:

    >On Sun, 13 Jan 2008 09:45:12 +0000, Roy Strachan wrote:
    >
    >> Does anyone out there know anything about the Asus Eee PC? A friend
    >> asked me to search for info on this thing and though it looks kind of
    >> interesting I haven't been able to find any real details.

    >
    >Wow. That's pretty poor. It's almost as easy to find EEEPC info as it
    >is to find pr0n on the InterWeb. And full details are on Wikipedia:
    >
    >http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eee_pc
    >
    >> Maybe someone here can help.

    >
    >Done, see above.
    >
    >> - what linux does it use?

    >
    >Xandros.
    >
    >> - Asus site says it sports an Intel mobile CPU. Which one? - single
    >> or dual core?

    >
    >900 MHz Celeron M.
    >
    >> - 32 or 64 bits?

    >
    >32.
    >
    >> - CPU speed?

    >
    >Clocked down to 630 MHz to save power.
    >
    >> Has anyone used one of these things/have opinions? Any info appreciated.

    >
    >All the details are at
    >
    >http://eeepc.asus.com/global/product.htm
    >http://www.eeeuser.com
    >
    >This is intended as positive criticism: you have room for improvement
    >when it comes to Internet research skills. It took me less than 2
    >minutes to locate all those links.


    I would agree that is a valid critism.

    Roy


  9. Re: Asus Eee PC

    On Mon, 14 Jan 2008 03:39:46 +0000, Roy Strachan wrote:

    >>This is intended as positive criticism: you have room for improvement
    >>when it comes to Internet research skills. It took me less than 2
    >>minutes to locate all those links.


    > I would agree that is a valid critism.


    Not surprising, though. You are a Win-droid, after all.

    Nobody expects much from the likes of you, anyway.


    --
    "Ubuntu" -- an African word, meaning "Slackware is too hard for me".


  10. Re: Asus Eee PC

    Dan C wrote:
    > Roy Strachan wrote:
    >
    >>> This is intended as positive criticism: you have room for
    >>> improvement when it comes to Internet research skills. It took me
    >>> less than 2 minutes to locate all those links.

    >
    >> I would agree that is a valid critism.

    >
    > Not surprising, though. You are a Win-droid, after all.
    >
    > Nobody expects much from the likes of you, anyway.


    It's no wonder that so many people plonk you, Win-ones (or win-droids as
    you say), linux users, mac users and probably some solaris ones as well.

    Excuse me for saying so, but you have bad breath. When you open your
    'mouth' on usenet, it is generally offensive. Or don't excuse me for
    saying..

    For your type of usenet-posting halitosis, it wouldn't help to suggest
    that you see a dentist or other specialist. You would need to find a
    self-help place -- but I don't think you would be receptive to that.

    Perhaps it would help for you to read about the medical symptom and
    apply its concepts to your posting style:

    http://www.breath-care.com/cause.html Bad Breath Self Examination


    --
    Mike Easter


  11. Re: Asus Eee PC

    On Sun, 13 Jan 2008 20:36:04 -0800, Mike Easter wrote:

    >>> I would agree that is a valid critism.


    >> Not surprising, though. You are a Win-droid, after all.
    >> Nobody expects much from the likes of you, anyway.


    > It's no wonder that so many people plonk you, Win-ones (or win-droids as
    > you say), linux users, mac users and probably some solaris ones as well.


    Another clueless droid pipes in. Bugger off, dimwit.


    --
    "Ubuntu" -- an African word, meaning "Slackware is too hard for me".


  12. Re: Asus Eee PC

    On Mon, 14 Jan 2008 08:48:15 -0600, Dan C wrote:

    > On Sun, 13 Jan 2008 20:36:04 -0800, Mike Easter wrote:
    >
    >>>> I would agree that is a valid critism.

    >
    >>> Not surprising, though. You are a Win-droid, after all. Nobody
    >>> expects much from the likes of you, anyway.

    >
    >> It's no wonder that so many people plonk you, Win-ones (or win-droids
    >> as you say), linux users, mac users and probably some solaris ones as
    >> well.

    >
    > Another clueless droid pipes in. Bugger off, dimwit.


    Where do you get this "Win-droid" stuff from?

    --
    "They say: 'Evil prevails when good men fail to act.' What they ought to
    say is: 'Evil prevails.'" ~ Yuri Orlov, "Lord of War"

  13. Re: Asus Eee PC

    firebrand wrote:
    > On Mon, 14 Jan 2008 08:48:15 -0600, Dan C wrote:
    >
    >> On Sun, 13 Jan 2008 20:36:04 -0800, Mike Easter wrote:
    >>
    >>>>> I would agree that is a valid critism.
    >>>> Not surprising, though. You are a Win-droid, after all. Nobody
    >>>> expects much from the likes of you, anyway.

    >>
    >>> It's no wonder that so many people plonk you, Win-ones (or win-droids
    >>> as you say), linux users, mac users and probably some solaris ones as
    >>> well.

    >> Another clueless droid pipes in. Bugger off, dimwit.

    >
    > Where do you get this "Win-droid" stuff from?
    >

    Its what a script kiddie calls Windows.

  14. Re: Asus Eee PC

    On Sun, 13 Jan 2008 21:54:43 -0600, Dan C
    wrote:

    >On Mon, 14 Jan 2008 03:39:46 +0000, Roy Strachan wrote:
    >
    >>>This is intended as positive criticism: you have room for improvement
    >>>when it comes to Internet research skills. It took me less than 2
    >>>minutes to locate all those links.

    >
    >> I would agree that is a valid critism.

    >
    >Not surprising, though. You are a Win-droid, after all.
    >
    >Nobody expects much from the likes of you, anyway.


    If you don't exprect much why bother mouthing off at every
    opportunity.


  15. Re: Asus Eee PC

    On Mon, 14 Jan 2008 08:48:15 -0600, Dan C
    wrote:

    >On Sun, 13 Jan 2008 20:36:04 -0800, Mike Easter wrote:
    >
    >>>> I would agree that is a valid critism.

    >
    >>> Not surprising, though. You are a Win-droid, after all.
    >>> Nobody expects much from the likes of you, anyway.

    >
    >> It's no wonder that so many people plonk you, Win-ones (or win-droids as
    >> you say), linux users, mac users and probably some solaris ones as well.

    >
    >Another clueless droid pipes in. Bugger off, dimwit.


    If you would bugger off this group would be much more pleasant. Seems
    you think you're a wit, but really you're only half of one.


  16. Re: Asus Eee PC

    On Thu, 17 Jan 2008 04:44:19 +0000, Roy Strachan wrote:

    >>Another clueless droid pipes in. Bugger off, dimwit.


    > If you would bugger off this group would be much more pleasant. Seems
    > you think you're a wit, but really you're only half of one.


    Bugger off, you half-wit dimwit Win-droid. You're boring, and stupid.


    --
    "Ubuntu" -- an African word, meaning "Slackware is too hard for me".


  17. Re: Asus Eee PC

    It works really great. I have installed eeexubuntu on mine rather than
    the Xandros and everything works except the microphone, but i'll fix that
    later.
    much recomended...

  18. Re: Asus Eee PC

    rubberduck wrote:
    > It works really great. I have installed eeexubuntu on mine rather than
    > the Xandros and everything works except the microphone, but i'll fix that
    > later.
    > much recomended...


    I have one to - a great little machine. I have installed Ubuntu 7.10 on
    it along with some additional scripts specific to the eeepc. Works fine
    except for networking but that is at least in part due to the need for
    the mtu to be set to 1492 for my ISP rather than the default 1500. I can
    ping my router but not access the internet at present.

    Cheers

    ian

  19. Re: Asus Eee PC

    On Wed, 23 Jan 2008 13:11:48 +0000, Ian Thompson-Bell wrote:

    > I can ping my router but not access the internet at present.


    Is that just the radio issue, or is it a problem with a wire link
    too?

    --
    Chris Game

    Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.

  20. Re: Asus Eee PC

    Chris Game wrote:
    > On Wed, 23 Jan 2008 13:11:48 +0000, Ian Thompson-Bell wrote:
    >
    >> I can ping my router but not access the internet at present.

    >
    > Is that just the radio issue, or is it a problem with a wire link
    > too?
    >


    Both.

    Ian

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast