FYI VLC media player - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on FYI VLC media player - Ubuntu ; Just used apt-get to install VLC. Blows xine away. http://www.videolan.org/vlc/download-ubuntu.html If you like it, update your file associations type: x-msvideo Remove other players listed there. I set VLC as default for all other video types because it plays them all ...

+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: FYI VLC media player

  1. FYI VLC media player

    Just used apt-get to install VLC. Blows xine away.

    http://www.videolan.org/vlc/download-ubuntu.html

    If you like it, update your file associations type:

    x-msvideo

    Remove other players listed there.
    I set VLC as default for all other video types because it plays them
    all so far.





  2. Re: FYI VLC media player

    On Sat, 12 Jan 2008 16:18:00 -0500, Meat Plow wrote:

    > Just used apt-get to install VLC. Blows xine away.
    >
    > http://www.videolan.org/vlc/download-ubuntu.html
    >
    > If you like it, update your file associations type:
    >
    > x-msvideo
    >
    > Remove other players listed there.
    > I set VLC as default for all other video types because it plays them all
    > so far.


    Video players are one of those "personal preference" type of things.
    Personally, I prefer mplayer for most, but VLC for DVD's...




    --
    Joe - Linux User #449481/Ubuntu User #19733
    joe at hits - buffalo dot com
    "Hate is baggage, life is too short to go around pissed off all the
    time..." - Danny, American History X

  3. Re: FYI VLC media player

    On Sat, 12 Jan 2008 18:49:52 -0600, Joe wrote:

    > On Sat, 12 Jan 2008 16:18:00 -0500, Meat Plow wrote:
    >
    >> Just used apt-get to install VLC. Blows xine away.
    >>
    >> http://www.videolan.org/vlc/download-ubuntu.html
    >>
    >> If you like it, update your file associations type:
    >>
    >> x-msvideo
    >>
    >> Remove other players listed there.
    >> I set VLC as default for all other video types because it plays them all
    >> so far.

    >
    > Video players are one of those "personal preference" type of things.
    > Personally, I prefer mplayer for most, but VLC for DVD's...


    I mostly use Totem but I use VLC on some files Totem gets jerky.

    --
    Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?


  4. Re: FYI VLC media player

    On Sun, 13 Jan 2008 11:28:44 +0000, Trevor Best wrote:

    > On Sat, 12 Jan 2008 18:49:52 -0600, Joe wrote:
    >
    >> On Sat, 12 Jan 2008 16:18:00 -0500, Meat Plow wrote:
    >>
    >>> Just used apt-get to install VLC. Blows xine away.
    >>>
    >>> http://www.videolan.org/vlc/download-ubuntu.html
    >>>
    >>> If you like it, update your file associations type:
    >>>
    >>> x-msvideo
    >>>
    >>> Remove other players listed there.
    >>> I set VLC as default for all other video types because it plays them
    >>> all so far.

    >>
    >> Video players are one of those "personal preference" type of things.
    >> Personally, I prefer mplayer for most, but VLC for DVD's...

    >
    > I mostly use Totem but I use VLC on some files Totem gets jerky.


    And totem is the one I most dislike... ;-)




    --
    Joe - Linux User #449481/Ubuntu User #19733
    joe at hits - buffalo dot com
    "Hate is baggage, life is too short to go around pissed off all the
    time..." - Danny, American History X

  5. Re: FYI VLC media player

    On Sun, 13 Jan 2008 14:31:05 -0600, Joe wrote:

    > And totem is the one I most dislike... ;-)


    TBH I would probably use VLC over Totem but for the fact that VLC doesn't
    respond to the F key so I have to use the menu to get to full screen.

    I wish either of them had configurable shortcut keys, would be nice to be
    able to switch aspect ratio quickly rather than stumbling through menus.

    Actually, it would be nice if people would post videos on youtube without
    ****ing up the aspect ratio in the first place :-)

    --
    Hofstadter's Law: It always takes longer than you expect,
    even when you take into account Hofstadter's Law.

    Cole's Law: Thinly sliced cabbage.


  6. Re: FYI VLC media player

    Den Sun, 13 Jan 2008 20:57:16 +0000 skrev Trevor Best:

    > On Sun, 13 Jan 2008 14:31:05 -0600, Joe wrote:
    >
    >> And totem is the one I most dislike... ;-)

    >
    > TBH I would probably use VLC over Totem but for the fact that VLC
    > doesn't respond to the F key so I have to use the menu to get to full
    > screen.
    >
    > I wish either of them had configurable shortcut keys, would be nice to
    > be able to switch aspect ratio quickly rather than stumbling through
    > menus.
    >
    > Actually, it would be nice if people would post videos on youtube
    > without ****ing up the aspect ratio in the first place :-)


    In preferences you can ceate you're own shortcut. I'am using CTRL+F to
    switch between normal and fullscreen.
    Sadley my interface is in Swedish so I can't help you with the correct
    tab-names but they are in the preferences just look for it.

    /Anders

  7. Re: FYI VLC media player

    On Sun, 13 Jan 2008 21:23:58 +0000, anders wrote:

    > In preferences you can ceate you're own shortcut. I'am using CTRL+F to
    > switch between normal and fullscreen.
    > Sadley my interface is in Swedish so I can't help you with the correct
    > tab-names but they are in the preferences just look for it.


    Thanks. I see cycle through aspect ratios had key "a" assigned already.
    Problem is it doesn't work right away, I have to select some function off
    the menu first. I wouldn't mind so much if I was watching a feature film
    or a half hour show but since double clicking a file in nautilus brings up
    a new instance then watching a whole bunch of clips would become tiresome.
    I just found the same keys work in Totem, and they do actually work right
    away so VLC will be there only for backup and Radio Caroline :-)

    --
    Hofstadter's Law: It always takes longer than you expect,
    even when you take into account Hofstadter's Law.

    Cole's Law: Thinly sliced cabbage.


  8. Re: FYI VLC media player

    On Sun, 13 Jan 2008 20:57:16 +0000, Trevor Best wrote:

    > On Sun, 13 Jan 2008 14:31:05 -0600, Joe wrote:
    >
    >> And totem is the one I most dislike... ;-)

    >
    > TBH I would probably use VLC over Totem but for the fact that VLC
    > doesn't respond to the F key so I have to use the menu to get to full
    > screen.


    Double-click in the display. Switched to full screen. Pretty simple...

    >
    > I wish either of them had configurable shortcut keys, would be nice to
    > be able to switch aspect ratio quickly rather than stumbling through
    > menus.
    >


    Agreed...

    > Actually, it would be nice if people would post videos on youtube
    > without ****ing up the aspect ratio in the first place :-)


    Again... ;-)




    --
    Joe - Linux User #449481/Ubuntu User #19733
    joe at hits - buffalo dot com
    "Hate is baggage, life is too short to go around pissed off all the
    time..." - Danny, American History X

  9. Re: FYI VLC media player

    On Sun, 13 Jan 2008 20:57:16 +0000, Trevor Best wrote:

    > On Sun, 13 Jan 2008 14:31:05 -0600, Joe wrote:
    >
    >> And totem is the one I most dislike... ;-)

    >
    > TBH I would probably use VLC over Totem but for the fact that VLC doesn't
    > respond to the F key so I have to use the menu to get to full screen.
    >
    > I wish either of them had configurable shortcut keys, would be nice to be
    > able to switch aspect ratio quickly rather than stumbling through menus.
    >
    > Actually, it would be nice if people would post videos on youtube without
    > ****ing up the aspect ratio in the first place :-)


    Just double click on the video screen and it will go full screen.


  10. Re: FYI VLC media player

    On Sun, 13 Jan 2008 14:31:05 -0600, Joe wrote:

    > On Sun, 13 Jan 2008 11:28:44 +0000, Trevor Best wrote:
    >
    >> On Sat, 12 Jan 2008 18:49:52 -0600, Joe wrote:
    >>
    >>> On Sat, 12 Jan 2008 16:18:00 -0500, Meat Plow wrote:
    >>>
    >>>> Just used apt-get to install VLC. Blows xine away.
    >>>>
    >>>> http://www.videolan.org/vlc/download-ubuntu.html
    >>>>
    >>>> If you like it, update your file associations type:
    >>>>
    >>>> x-msvideo
    >>>>
    >>>> Remove other players listed there.
    >>>> I set VLC as default for all other video types because it plays them
    >>>> all so far.
    >>>
    >>> Video players are one of those "personal preference" type of things.
    >>> Personally, I prefer mplayer for most, but VLC for DVD's...

    >>
    >> I mostly use Totem but I use VLC on some files Totem gets jerky.

    >
    > And totem is the one I most dislike... ;-)


    Oh yeah, totem sucks. I was having real problems vid player-wise til I
    tried vlc. I was even booting into XP to use PowerDVD... and that's the
    only thing I've booted into Windows for in goddamn *ages*. But now, vlc
    all the way. I *never* feel the need to boot XP. Hell, I nearly
    formatted the XP partition the other day. But I decided to keep it: why
    not eh?



    --
    "They say: 'Evil prevails when good men fail to act.' What they ought to
    say is: 'Evil prevails.'" ~ Yuri Orlov, "Lord of War"

  11. Re: FYI VLC media player

    Trevor Best wrote:
    > On Sun, 13 Jan 2008 14:31:05 -0600, Joe wrote:
    >
    >> And totem is the one I most dislike... ;-)

    >
    > TBH I would probably use VLC over Totem but for the fact that VLC doesn't
    > respond to the F key so I have to use the menu to get to full screen.
    >


    Trevor,

    Change the interface to Skin 2 and there a button that gives you full
    screen.

    Ram

  12. Re: FYI VLC media player

    Ram wrote:

    > Trevor Best wrote:
    >> On Sun, 13 Jan 2008 14:31:05 -0600, Joe wrote:
    >>
    >>> And totem is the one I most dislike... ;-)

    >>
    >> TBH I would probably use VLC over Totem but for the fact that VLC doesn't
    >> respond to the F key so I have to use the menu to get to full screen.
    >>

    >
    > Trevor,
    >
    > Change the interface to Skin 2 and there a button that gives you full
    > screen.
    >
    > Ram


    All you have to do is double-mouse-click the media being played to get
    full-screen
    --
    regards,
    Steve
    "The greatest of all faults is to be conscious of none"

+ Reply to Thread