Black screen when idle but no screensaver installed - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Black screen when idle but no screensaver installed - Ubuntu ; Hi, I'm running Gutsy (with desktop effects turned on) with a minor flaw when watching videos: After the user is idle for ten minutes or so (happens naturally when watching video and doing nothing else) I get a black screen ...

  1. Black screen when idle but no screensaver installed

    Hi,

    I'm running Gutsy (with desktop effects turned on) with a minor flaw when
    watching videos: After the user is idle for ten minutes or so (happens
    naturally when watching video and doing nothing else) I get a black
    screen until I move the mouse or hit a key. That's quite annoying, so I
    tried everything with the screensaver settings -- no effect. The same
    goes for the energy settings. Finally I uninstalled every package with
    screensaver in its name (xscreensaver, gnome-screensaver, ...) but that
    didn't help either. Please help me, what am I missing?

    Thanks,
    Matthias

  2. Re: Black screen when idle but no screensaver installed

    On Fri, 11 Jan 2008 23:52:09 +0100, Matthias Kroll
    wrote:

    >Hi,
    >
    >I'm running Gutsy (with desktop effects turned on) with a minor flaw when
    >watching videos: After the user is idle for ten minutes or so (happens
    >naturally when watching video and doing nothing else) I get a black
    >screen until I move the mouse or hit a key. That's quite annoying, so I
    >tried everything with the screensaver settings -- no effect. The same
    >goes for the energy settings. Finally I uninstalled every package with
    >screensaver in its name (xscreensaver, gnome-screensaver, ...) but that
    >didn't help either. Please help me, what am I missing?
    >
    >Thanks,
    >Matthias

    ===========
    This might be a rom-bios setting.

    Try hitting F1 or escape or whatever when your computer is just
    starting to access the bios-setup screens and see how you have
    things set up. change just one thing at a time and
    see how your system operates.

  3. Re: Black screen when idle but no screensaver installed

    Matthias Kroll wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I'm running Gutsy (with desktop effects turned on) with a minor flaw when
    > watching videos: After the user is idle for ten minutes or so (happens
    > naturally when watching video and doing nothing else) I get a black
    > screen until I move the mouse or hit a key. That's quite annoying, so I
    > tried everything with the screensaver settings -- no effect. The same
    > goes for the energy settings. Finally I uninstalled every package with
    > screensaver in its name (xscreensaver, gnome-screensaver, ...) but that
    > didn't help either. Please help me, what am I missing?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Matthias

    Try looking in the System->Prefs->Power Management applet

    Hope this solves your problems.

    j1mb0jay

  4. Re: Black screen when idle but no screensaver installed

    On Fri, 11 Jan 2008 23:52:09 +0100, Matthias Kroll wrote:

    > I'm running Gutsy (with desktop effects turned on) with a minor flaw
    > when watching videos: After the user is idle for ten minutes or so
    > (happens naturally when watching video and doing nothing else) I get a
    > black screen until I move the mouse or hit a key. That's quite annoying,
    > so I tried everything with the screensaver settings -- no effect. The
    > same goes for the energy settings. Finally I uninstalled every package
    > with screensaver in its name (xscreensaver, gnome-screensaver, ...) but
    > that didn't help either. Please help me, what am I missing?

    You don't say which video player you are using, but ISTR that one of
    Mplayer or Gxine has a setting to disable the screensaver while playing.

    Or you could get in the habit of giving the mouse a nudge every time you
    change position :-)

  5. Re: Black screen when idle but no screensaver installed

    Am Sat, 12 Jan 2008 14:26:27 +0100 schrieb Mark South:

    > You don't say which video player you are using, but ISTR that one of
    > Mplayer or Gxine has a setting to disable the screensaver while playing.

    Usually I use Totem or VLC. I'll give mplayer a try although I don't like
    it for watching DVDs. The funny thing is that I don't have any
    screensavers installed, xdg-screensaver tells me so, too. Power settings
    are set appropriate (everything turned off) and BIOS settings are also
    OK. I just don't know what sends me a black screen when I'm idle. The
    monitor or TV isn't turned off, just a black screen!? On my notebook
    (running Gutsy, too) I don't have such problems.

    > Or you could get in the habit of giving the mouse a nudge every time you
    > change position :-)

    Well, that would require my arm to be 3m long. I'm watching via TV-Out
    and my Computer is far away from my sofa.

    MfG
    Matthias

  6. Re: Black screen when idle but no screensaver installed

    On Sat, 12 Jan 2008 15:06:54 +0100, Matthias Kroll wrote:

    > Am Sat, 12 Jan 2008 14:26:27 +0100 schrieb Mark South:
    >
    >> You don't say which video player you are using, but ISTR that one of
    >> Mplayer or Gxine has a setting to disable the screensaver while
    >> playing.

    > Usually I use Totem or VLC. I'll give mplayer a try although I don't
    > like it for watching DVDs. The funny thing is that I don't have any
    > screensavers installed, xdg-screensaver tells me so, too. Power settings
    > are set appropriate (everything turned off) and BIOS settings are also
    > OK. I just don't know what sends me a black screen when I'm idle. The
    > monitor or TV isn't turned off, just a black screen!? On my notebook
    > (running Gutsy, too) I don't have such problems.

    It may be nothing to do with the OS then, you should check that your
    monitor settings and computer BIOS have power-saving timeouts disabled.

    Also, one setting in xorg.conf can make the monitor turn off when there
    has been no human input, look in the Monitor section for

    Option "DPMS"

    >> Or you could get in the habit of giving the mouse a nudge every time
    >> you change position :-)

    > Well, that would require my arm to be 3m long. I'm watching via TV-Out
    > and my Computer is far away from my sofa.

    That's what i do too, and I can tell you that this is the main reason why
    cordless mice were invented :-)

  7. Re: Black screen when idle but no screensaver installed

    with mplayer try -stop-xscreensaver option
    this should do

+ Reply to Thread