got my first Linux install up and running! - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on got my first Linux install up and running! - Ubuntu ; On Wed, 09 Jan 2008 16:48:04 -0800, clay wrote: > OhioGuy wrote: >> Thanks everyone - my wife can live with it now, since she knows she >> has to >> turn the monitor on first, then catch the boot ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 34 of 34

Thread: got my first Linux install up and running!

  1. Re: got my first Linux install up and running!

    On Wed, 09 Jan 2008 16:48:04 -0800, clay wrote:

    > OhioGuy wrote:
    >> Thanks everyone - my wife can live with it now, since she knows she
    >> has to
    >> turn the monitor on first, then catch the boot menu. I used your
    >> advice to remove the username and password login, which was quite
    >> painless.
    >>
    >> Now my son likes to play the "worm" game, which is a lot like an old
    >> one
    >> called "snake" or something like that I remember from the 80's.
    >>
    >> One thing that really surprises me is that it doesn't seem to have
    >> any
    >> support for playing a DVD or video file! It isn't connected to the
    >> Internet, so I guess there is no way we can download the relevant video
    >> codecs...

    >
    > The 'illegal' stuff is not open source so it's not included in the
    > install.


    Actually, a lot (maybe most) of the "illegal" stuff *is* FOSS, but it is
    not distributed because it could expose Canonical to patent litigation,
    or because the use of the software (eg, libdvdcss) may be considered
    illegal in some restrictive jurisdictions.

    > you can grab the w32codecs from medibuntu, throw them on a
    > floppy to xfer, and install them manually.


    You'll need some other bits as well, like libdvdcss, but check your legal
    exposure first.

  2. Re: got my first Linux install up and running!

    NoStop wrote:
    > Christopher Hunter wrote:
    >
    >> andrew wrote:
    >>
    >>> No it is worse. There is a special 'look' she gets on her face and she
    >>> says 'really' or nods her head every couple of minutes and does not
    >>> listen at all ....

    >> I had one like that a few years ago. I've now moved on to Wife 2.0 - this
    >> one works /much/ better!
    >>
    >> C.

    >
    > I used to dual-boot, but now I run Ubuntu exclusively.
    >
    > Cheers.
    >



    I have not been able to get wife and daughter to
    try Ubuntu. Last night Windows machine was down so
    to look at my daughters senior pics they had to
    use my Linux box. They loved it. Said worked much
    better. Now all I have to do is get Quicken moved
    over and its GOOD BYE MS.
    I really didn't want to move to Wife 2.0. :q
    caver1

  3. Re: got my first Linux install up and running!

    caver1 writes:

    > NoStop wrote:
    >> Christopher Hunter wrote:
    >>
    >>> andrew wrote:
    >>>
    >>>> No it is worse. There is a special 'look' she gets on her face and she
    >>>> says 'really' or nods her head every couple of minutes and does not
    >>>> listen at all ....
    >>> I had one like that a few years ago. I've now moved on to Wife 2.0 - this
    >>> one works /much/ better!
    >>>
    >>> C.

    >>
    >> I used to dual-boot, but now I run Ubuntu exclusively.
    >>
    >> Cheers.
    >>

    >
    >
    > I have not been able to get wife and daughter to try Ubuntu. Last
    > night Windows machine was down so to look at my daughters senior pics
    > they had to use my Linux box. They loved it. Said worked much
    > better. Now all I have to do is get Quicken moved over and its GOOD
    > BYE MS.
    > I really didn't want to move to Wife 2.0. :q
    > caver1


    What did they love, specifically? And what, specifically, worked much
    better? What exactly did they use it for other than to look at pictures?

  4. Re: got my first Linux install up and running!

    Hadron wrote:

    > caver1 writes:
    >
    >> NoStop wrote:
    >>> Christopher Hunter wrote:
    >>>
    >>>> andrew wrote:
    >>>>
    >>>>> No it is worse. There is a special 'look' she gets on her face and she
    >>>>> says 'really' or nods her head every couple of minutes and does not
    >>>>> listen at all ....
    >>>> I had one like that a few years ago. I've now moved on to Wife 2.0 -
    >>>> this one works /much/ better!
    >>>>
    >>>> C.
    >>>
    >>> I used to dual-boot, but now I run Ubuntu exclusively.
    >>>
    >>> Cheers.
    >>>

    >>
    >>
    >> I have not been able to get wife and daughter to try Ubuntu. Last
    >> night Windows machine was down so to look at my daughters senior pics
    >> they had to use my Linux box. They loved it. Said worked much
    >> better. Now all I have to do is get Quicken moved over and its GOOD
    >> BYE MS.
    >> I really didn't want to move to Wife 2.0. :q
    >> caver1

    >
    > What did they love, specifically? And what, specifically, worked much
    > better? What exactly did they use it for other than to look at pictures?


    Come on Hardon, you do use Linux don't you? It's so obvious for anyone
    familiar with Linux and Windoze that Linux just works much better. You
    should know that. I think you're just looking for a fight.

    Cheers.

    --
    Boot It Up!
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=-kql8cWqiv8


  5. Re: got my first Linux install up and running!

    NoStop wrote:

    > Hadron wrote:
    >
    >> caver1 writes:
    >>
    >>> NoStop wrote:
    >>>> Christopher Hunter wrote:
    >>>>
    >>>>> andrew wrote:
    >>>>>
    >>>>>> No it is worse. There is a special 'look' she gets on her face and
    >>>>>> she says 'really' or nods her head every couple of minutes and does
    >>>>>> not listen at all ....
    >>>>> I had one like that a few years ago. I've now moved on to Wife 2.0 -
    >>>>> this one works /much/ better!
    >>>>>
    >>>>> C.
    >>>>
    >>>> I used to dual-boot, but now I run Ubuntu exclusively.
    >>>>
    >>>> Cheers.
    >>>>
    >>>
    >>>
    >>> I have not been able to get wife and daughter to try Ubuntu. Last
    >>> night Windows machine was down so to look at my daughters senior pics
    >>> they had to use my Linux box. They loved it. Said worked much
    >>> better. Now all I have to do is get Quicken moved over and its GOOD
    >>> BYE MS.
    >>> I really didn't want to move to Wife 2.0. :q
    >>> caver1

    >>
    >> What did they love, specifically? And what, specifically, worked much
    >> better? What exactly did they use it for other than to look at pictures?

    >
    > Come on Hardon, you do use Linux don't you? It's so obvious for anyone
    > familiar with Linux and Windoze that Linux just works much better. You
    > should know that. I think you're just looking for a fight.
    >
    > Cheers.
    >


    Naturally.
    After all, Hadron Quark, the "true linux advocate" and "kernel hacker", uses
    Windows only for games. So he tells us, often.
    Although he keeps telling also that "most OSS software is crappy",
    and "closed source windows apps are high quality"

    One wonders...
    --
    Perl - the only language that looks the same before and after RSA
    encryption.
    -- Keith Bostic


  6. Re: got my first Linux install up and running!

    ray illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    > BTW - a migration strategy that has worked for some is to install
    > OpenOffice and Firefox on the MS system first and get the user accustomed
    > to that - then changing to Linux is less of a deal. And, BTW, there is a
    > desktop called XPDE (xp desktop environment) which is installable on Linux
    > - perhaps that would ease her transition - she would hardly be able to
    > tell the difference.


    There's also the LiveCD based on Fedora called Vixta.

    Just in case anyone wants to approximate MS's finest. ;-)


    --
    Moog

    "If this is gonna be that kinda party I'm gonna stick my dick in the
    mashed potatoes"

  7. Re: got my first Linux install up and running!

    On Wed, 9 Jan 2008 19:19:28 -0500
    "OhioGuy" wrote:

    > Thanks everyone - my wife can live with it now, since she knows she
    > has to turn the monitor on first, then catch the boot menu. I used
    > your advice to remove the username and password login, which was
    > quite painless.
    >
    > Now my son likes to play the "worm" game, which is a lot like an
    > old one called "snake" or something like that I remember from the
    > 80's.
    >
    > One thing that really surprises me is that it doesn't seem to have
    > any support for playing a DVD or video file! It isn't connected to
    > the Internet, so I guess there is no way we can download the relevant
    > video codecs.
    >
    > On XP Pro, I just use VLC Media Player to play everything, except
    > for DVD's. I'm still using the free NVDVD I got with my trusty old
    > Nvidia TNT2 video card about 8 years ago. It seems to be the
    > smallest program I've been able to find, and it has very little
    > graininess compared to some of the bigger programs.


    Do you keep this box off the net for security/virus/spyware reasons?
    This shouldn't be an issue using linux, which has excellent security
    (vastly better than Windows), as long as your logon isn't the
    root/admin account. And Ubuntu updates automatically when online (if
    you wish).

  8. Re: got my first Linux install up and running!

    > Do you keep this box off the net for security/virus/spyware reasons?


    Actually, I keep it offline because there is no phone line going up to our
    bedroom, by design. My wife didn't want a phone up there that could wake us
    up.

    My Internet access is through VTISP.com, so we get 5 hours of dialup a
    day, for under $3.50 a month



  9. Re: got my first Linux install up and running!

    On Fri, 11 Jan 2008 08:11:38 -0500
    "OhioGuy" wrote:

    > > Do you keep this box off the net for security/virus/spyware reasons?

    >
    >
    > Actually, I keep it offline because there is no phone line going up
    > to our bedroom, by design. My wife didn't want a phone up there that
    > could wake us up.
    >
    > My Internet access is through VTISP.com, so we get 5 hours of
    > dialup a day, for under $3.50 a month


    Ah right, fair enough. I keep forgetting there are still many out there
    with dialups. But yours is reassuringly cheap. :-)

  10. Re: got my first Linux install up and running!

    On Thu, 10 Jan 2008 20:01:36 +0000, Moog wrote:

    > There's also the LiveCD based on Fedora called Vixta.
    >
    > Just in case anyone wants to approximate MS's finest. ;-)


    I've got an Emerald theme on my laptop that looks like Vista, one of the
    things I do like about Vista is the default theme. Pity the last 3 times I
    have tried to install the latest Windows update (defender definitions) it
    had caused a BSOD. Beauty is skin deep.

    --
    Perhaps, after all, America never has been discovered. I myself would
    say that it had merely been detected.
    -- Oscar Wilde

  11. Re: got my first Linux install up and running!


    "Gordon" wrote in message
    news:5ujhfnF1igbngU2@mid.individual.net...
    > On 2008-01-09, Norman Peelman wrote:
    > > OhioGuy wrote:
    > >> I got Ubuntu installed on a second hard drive, so now I get the menu

    and
    > >> can boot into it or Windows XP on the other drive. I think it's kind

    of
    > >> nifty.
    > >>
    > >> My wife, on the other hand, hates it enough that it caused a huge
    > >> argument. She is extremely upset that now there is a password to mess

    with.
    > >>
    > >> Ubuntu forced me to enter a username and password by default. I had

    no
    > >> idea how to get around this and set it up like Windows XP, which

    doesn't
    > >> require a username and password to be entered before using the system.
    > >>
    > >> Can anyone please help me? There has got to be some way to:
    > >>
    > >> A) set up Ubuntu so nobody has to enter a username and password
    > >>

    > >
    > > can't help you there... maybe just change it to something simple?
    > >
    > >> &
    > >>
    > >> B) perhaps set it up so that the menu defaults to Windows XP for now,

    and
    > >> not Linux?
    > >>

    > >
    > > you have to edit /boot/grub/menu.lst as sudo(or gksudo):
    > >
    > > gksudo gedit /boot/grub/menu.lst
    > >
    > > find the line that says '## ## End Default Options ##' and start
    > > counting from zero until you get to the 'title' of the XP entry. Go back
    > > to the top of the document and change 'default 0' to 'default ??' where
    > > ?? is the number you counted to. and save/reboot. XP should be your
    > > default now if no selection is made.
    > >
    > >> I think that would make my wife happy. I could still choose Linux
    > >> whenever I wanted to play around with it, but it wouldn't seem

    intrusive to
    > >> her, like I was trying to force something onto her.
    > >>

    You need to be careful about doing away with sign in. It makes it harder to
    login for Admin like with Add/Remove and Synoptic.
    And, you can go to User and Groups in Administration or Login Menu in
    Settings, (not sure, reading this from a friend's window machine,) and just
    check No Login. But, that does cause other inconveniences. Best bet is to
    just login and leave it in Linux.
    >




  12. Re: got my first Linux install up and running!

    Trevor Best illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    > On Thu, 10 Jan 2008 20:01:36 +0000, Moog wrote:
    >
    >> There's also the LiveCD based on Fedora called Vixta.
    >>
    >> Just in case anyone wants to approximate MS's finest. ;-)

    >
    > I've got an Emerald theme on my laptop that looks like Vista, one of the
    > things I do like about Vista is the default theme. Pity the last 3 times I
    > have tried to install the latest Windows update (defender definitions) it
    > had caused a BSOD. Beauty is skin deep.


    Vixta would be great if it didn't use that infernal Fedora Package
    Management (or dependency misser). Gah. I really miss fiddling for
    hours trying to install even the easiest pieces of software, NOT.
    Makes you kinda glad that deb files exist.

    --
    Moog

    "If this is gonna be that kinda party I'm gonna stick my dick in the
    mashed potatoes"

  13. Re: got my first Linux install up and running!

    OhioGuy wrote:
    > I got Ubuntu installed on a second hard drive, so now I get the menu and
    > can boot into it or Windows XP on the other drive. I think it's kind of
    > nifty.
    >
    > My wife, on the other hand, hates it enough that it caused a huge
    > argument. She is extremely upset that now there is a password to mess with.
    >
    > Ubuntu forced me to enter a username and password by default. I had no
    > idea how to get around this and set it up like Windows XP, which doesn't
    > require a username and password to be entered before using the system.
    >
    > Can anyone please help me? There has got to be some way to:
    >
    > A) set up Ubuntu so nobody has to enter a username and password
    >
    > &
    >
    > B) perhaps set it up so that the menu defaults to Windows XP for now, and
    > not Linux?
    >
    > I think that would make my wife happy. I could still choose Linux
    > whenever I wanted to play around with it, but it wouldn't seem intrusive to
    > her, like I was trying to force something onto her.
    >
    > Thanks!
    >



    You cannot "make" a wife anything.

    It is up to them to deviate from emotional reactionary behavior and
    start using logical thinking to make decisions.

    You CAN "make" yourself stop worrying about wimmin in general -- if you
    so choose.

    A good place to start is your local pub, with male friends, and a few pints.

    Lots of pints will even "make" a barfly appear good looking. At least
    until the following morning.


    --
    John

    No Microsoft nor Apple products were used in the preparation or transmission of this message.

    The EULA sounds like it was written by a team of lawyers who want to tell me what I can't do. The GPL sounds like it was written by a human being, who wants me to know what I can do.

  14. Thumbs up Re: got my first Linux install up and running!

    You said you use Vtisp internet provider,....so do I. Been struggling to get it set up in Linux but no luck. I'm such a newbie,...been with old win98se tooooooo long, I guess. Ubuntu is nice (Puppy works better on my old machine, though). How,..how,...HOW did you get Vtisp setup in Ubuntu?????
    I think I've tried everything (but apparently not,..since it isn't working,..eh?)
    Any advice would be very gratefully received,....

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2