Apple's OSX Wins Platform of the Year at CES - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Apple's OSX Wins Platform of the Year at CES - Ubuntu ; "Pixzl" wrote: > Do you even know what the word "Retard" means? ( to hinder, delay, or slow > the advance or progress of ) > Not the slang you seem to think it means. > Look up the word ...

  1. Re: Apple's OSX crap compared to Linux

    "Pixzl" wrote:

    > Do you even know what the word "Retard" means? ( to hinder, delay, or slow
    > the advance or progress of )
    > Not the slang you seem to think it means.
    > Look up the word asswhipe, oh wait, just look in the mirror.
    > LOL

    don't ever "top post", that is the TRUEST definition of "retard"...

    posts on USENET go at the bottom so people in the future can read them
    correctly.

    learn how USENET works, don't be a RETARD.

    you are still trying to use:

    so it shows you are a pure fool.

    REPLIES go at the BOTTOM... NEVER at the top.

    Learn about how computing works, don't use Microsoft software, it will
    make you look like an idiot every time.

    -

  2. Re: Apple's OSX crap compared to Linux

    On Mon, 7 Jan 2008 16:18:27 -0800, Rick wrote
    (in article <13o5gaj23tajm15@news.supernews.com>):

    > On Mon, 07 Jan 2008 15:58:37 -0800, George Graves wrote:
    >
    >> On Mon, 7 Jan 2008 14:55:11 -0800, Tommy Tickler wrote (in article
    >> ):

    >>> There are also a damn side larger number of decent apps that have
    >>> professional polish for OS X compared to Linux. It is all well and
    >>> good to run an OS, but that OS also needs quality apps to run on it.
    >>> Linux might have a gazillion apps, but that significant majority are
    >>> amateur hour by comparison to the apps designed to run on OS X

    >> That's true. Funny thing though, out of the box, a Mac can run just
    >> about anything that Linux can run (as long as you install X11 too).

    > ... as long as you install X11 too is not the same as out of the box.

    Well, since it comes with the computer and with each OSX upgrade, I'd say
    that it too is "in the box".

    --
    How come every time we get a "Major Tax Cut" I get maybe $0.30 more returned
    to me, but every time there's a "Minor Tax Increase" it costs me $300.00?

  3. Re: Apple's OSX crap compared to Linux

    On Mon, 7 Jan 2008 16:24:56 -0800, Lloyd Parsons wrote
    (in article ):

    > In article <13o5gaj23tajm15@news.supernews.com>, Rick
    > wrote:
    >
    >> On Mon, 07 Jan 2008 15:58:37 -0800, George Graves wrote:
    >>
    >>> On Mon, 7 Jan 2008 14:55:11 -0800, Tommy Tickler wrote (in article
    >>> ):

    >>> That's true. Funny thing though, out of the box, a Mac can run just
    >>> about anything that Linux can run (as long as you install X11 too).

    >> ... as long as you install X11 too is not the same as out of the box.

    > Uh, with Leopard, the default install is with X11...

    OK.

    --
    How come every time we get a "Major Tax Cut" I get maybe $0.30 more returned
    to me, but every time there's a "Minor Tax Increase" it costs me $300.00?

  4. Re: Apple's OSX crap compared to Linux

    On Mon, 7 Jan 2008 19:18:27 -0500, Rick wrote:
    >> That's true. Funny thing though, out of the box, a Mac can run just
    >> about anything that Linux can run (as long as you install X11 too).

    > ... as long as you install X11 too is not the same as out of the box.

    And in Tiger, it's a 'click', in the box.

  5. Re: Apple's OSX crap compared to Linux

    On Mon, 7 Jan 2008 16:02:48 -0800, Little Gorm wrote
    (in article ):

    >> There are also a damn side larger number of decent apps that have
    >> professional polish for OS X compared to Linux. It is all well and good
    >> to run an OS, but that OS also needs quality apps to run on it. Linux
    >> might have a gazillion apps, but that significant majority are amateur
    >> hour by comparison to the apps designed to run on OS X

    > I will admit that many of the apps running in Linux are not as well
    > polished as those of MS or Apple, but given time they will improve.

    When is that trend gonna start? Because I certainly haven't seen it.
    Improvements in open source applications is downright glacial.

    > Apple and MS spend literally millions in research in fine tuning their GUIs

    for
    > the average user, while apps in the Linux community are built by
    > relavtively small groups who are far more intent on ensuring a stable and
    > secure core.

    Yes, those "millions spent" are what make OSX and "shrink wrapped" apps
    better.
    > As Linux distros mature, the interfaces for the apps will also
    > greatly improve. At the present, you have various distros that appeal to
    > different sets of users. With MS and Apple you take it the way they want
    > you to have it.

    And for most users, that's FAR better.

    --
    How come every time we get a "Major Tax Cut" I get maybe $0.30 more returned
    to me, but every time there's a "Minor Tax Increase" it costs me $300.00?

  6. Re: Apple's OSX crap compared to Linux

    George Graves wrote:

    > > Its all free.
    > > Time you got a decent PC and installed Linux
    > > and enjoyed the power of Linux flowing through your computer.
    > > For speed, performance and bang for buck there is nothing
    > > that beats it.
    > >
    > > http://www.livecdlist.com
    > > http://www.distrowatch.com
    > >

    > Just one question. What does one do if one needs actual professional-level
    > software with which to do real work? Linux is out, that's what happens.

    correct george.

    why hasn't there yet been a single professional level app on Linux?

    everyone keeps waiting, but nothing even remotely close to high end UNIX
    apps like these... are available...

    http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/index.html

    what is the hold up I wonder?

    it's like linux users gave up programming against the intense tide of
    18,000 OSX apps some 5 years ago.

    so sad...

    -

  7. Re: Apple's OSX crap compared to Linux

    On Mon, 07 Jan 2008 18:24:56 -0600, Lloyd Parsons wrote:

    > In article <13o5gaj23tajm15@news.supernews.com>, Rick
    > wrote:
    >
    >> On Mon, 07 Jan 2008 15:58:37 -0800, George Graves wrote:
    >>
    >> > On Mon, 7 Jan 2008 14:55:11 -0800, Tommy Tickler wrote (in article
    >> > ):

    >> > That's true. Funny thing though, out of the box, a Mac can run just
    >> > about anything that Linux can run (as long as you install X11 too).

    >> ... as long as you install X11 too is not the same as out of the box.

    > Uh, with Leopard, the default install is with X11...

    So, X11 is installed on all new Macs now?

    --
    Rick

  8. Re: Apple's OSX crap compared to Linux

    On Mon, 07 Jan 2008 17:54:00 -0800, George Graves wrote:

    > On Mon, 7 Jan 2008 16:18:27 -0800, Rick wrote (in article
    > <13o5gaj23tajm15@news.supernews.com>):
    >
    >> On Mon, 07 Jan 2008 15:58:37 -0800, George Graves wrote:
    >>
    >>> On Mon, 7 Jan 2008 14:55:11 -0800, Tommy Tickler wrote (in article
    >>> ):

    >>> That's true. Funny thing though, out of the box, a Mac can run just
    >>> about anything that Linux can run (as long as you install X11 too).

    >> ... as long as you install X11 too is not the same as out of the box.
    >>

    > Well, since it comes with the computer and with each OSX upgrade, I'd
    > say that it too is "in the box".

    That is not what you said, but if all new Macs now come with X11, I guess
    that is indeed out of the box

    --
    Rick

  9. Re: Apple's OSX Wins Platform of the Year at CES

    Christopher Hunter wrote:

    > O x f o r d wrote:
    >
    > > No Great Surprise, but InfoWorld has now named Apple's OSX the best
    > > Platform of the year in 2008.

    > If you have to /buy/ plaudits like this, your product is worthless.
    >
    > Next month, another "industry" rag will tell the world that MS Vista is the
    > best OS available - because MS will buy /lots/ of expensive advertising
    > space.
    >
    > These silly "awards" are about as reliable a Hi-fi magazine reviews. (Clue:
    > the company that buys the most advertising space gets the best reviews!)

    but apple didn't advertise in InfoWorld, they just reported the raw
    facts.

    learn that the world has now changed, if you don't use OSX you aren't
    going to be competitive inn the world over the next 10-80 years, those
    are raw facts.

    -

  10. Re: Apple's OSX crap compared to Linux

    "Rick" stated in post 13o5nqtf2bl5f5f@news.supernews.com
    on 1/7/08 7:26 PM:

    > On Mon, 07 Jan 2008 18:24:56 -0600, Lloyd Parsons wrote:
    >
    >> In article <13o5gaj23tajm15@news.supernews.com>, Rick
    >> wrote:

    >>> ... as long as you install X11 too is not the same as out of the box.

    >> Uh, with Leopard, the default install is with X11...

    > So, X11 is installed on all new Macs now?

    I believe it is... the Apple site says it is "It is optional but installed
    by default on Mac OS X v10.5 Leopard."

    --
    Teachers open the door but you must walk through it yourself.

  11. Re: Apple's OSX crap compared to Linux

    In article <13o5nqtf2bl5f5f@news.supernews.com>, Rick
    wrote:

    > On Mon, 07 Jan 2008 18:24:56 -0600, Lloyd Parsons wrote:
    >
    > > In article <13o5gaj23tajm15@news.supernews.com>, Rick
    > > wrote:

    > >> ... as long as you install X11 too is not the same as out of the box.

    > > Uh, with Leopard, the default install is with X11...

    > So, X11 is installed on all new Macs now?

    Well, I won't say all new macs, but it is on my new mini.

  12. Re: Apple's OSX crap compared to Linux

    "Little Gorm" stated in post
    Xns9A1EA2EC337A9littlegorm@127.0.0.1 on 1/7/08 5:02 PM:

    >> There are also a damn side larger number of decent apps that have
    >> professional polish for OS X compared to Linux. It is all well and good
    >> to run an OS, but that OS also needs quality apps to run on it. Linux
    >> might have a gazillion apps, but that significant majority are amateur
    >> hour by comparison to the apps designed to run on OS X

    > I will admit that many of the apps running in Linux are not as well
    > polished as those of MS or Apple, but given time they will improve. Apple
    > and MS spend literally millions in research in fine tuning their GUIs for
    > the average user, while apps in the Linux community are built by
    > relavtively small groups who are far more intent on ensuring a stable and
    > secure core. As Linux distros mature, the interfaces for the apps will also
    > greatly improve. At the present, you have various distros that appeal to
    > different sets of users. With MS and Apple you take it the way they want
    > you to have it.

    Personally I just prefer to be able to get work done over playing the
    distro-dance... but I do see that there are benefits to *some* number of
    distros.

    --
    When I'm working on a problem, I never think about beauty. I think only how
    to solve the problem. But when I have finished, if the solution is not

  13. Re: Apple's OSX crap compared to Linux

    On Mon, 07 Jan 2008 19:24:04 -0700, O x f o r d wrote:

    > George Graves wrote:
    >
    >> > Its all free.
    >> > Time you got a decent PC and installed Linux and enjoyed the power of
    >> > Linux flowing through your computer. For speed, performance and bang
    >> > for buck there is nothing that beats it.
    >> >
    >> > http://www.livecdlist.com
    >> > http://www.distrowatch.com
    >> >

    >> Just one question. What does one do if one needs actual
    >> professional-level software with which to do real work? Linux is out,
    >> that's what happens.

    > correct george.
    >
    > why hasn't there yet been a single professional level app on Linux?
    >
    > everyone keeps waiting, but nothing even remotely close to high end UNIX
    > apps like these... are available...
    >
    > http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/index.html

    Yeah. right. the majority of those are professional apps. Sheesh.

    Here Oxford:
    http://www.cinepaint.org/
    http://www.linuxmovies.org/software.html

    Let's see... Mathematica runs on Linux. So does Mathworks. LabView.

    > what is the hold up I wonder?
    >
    > it's like linux users gave up programming against the intense tide of
    > 18,000 OSX apps some 5 years ago.

    How did you get to be such a dishonest idiot?

    BTW, how where do the XServes rate on the super computer cluster lists?

    --
    Rick

  14. Re: Apple's OSX crap compared to Linux

    Peter Köhlmann wrote:

    > Only that Linus did never move to OSX
    >
    > Sorry to burst your bubble, cretinous typical Mac user OxRetard, but you are
    > wrong as usual: He is /also/ using a Apple computer. He runs linux PPC on
    > it

    but all his kids use OSX exclusively, plus he lives in a primarily mac
    town. The word, "Linux" is barely known in Oregon.

    get out once in a while Peter... have you ever even been to the States?
    Linux is a massive joke here, that is... IF you can find somebody that
    has even heard of it.

    Travel Peter, it will make you less of a fool.

    -

  15. Re: Apple's OSX Wins Platform of the Year at CES

    On Mon, 07 Jan 2008 18:35:30 -0700, O x f o r d wrote:

    > Christopher Hunter wrote:
    >
    >> It's quite funny to have a machine running Beryl next to an OSX effort.
    >> There's no longer any comparison. The Linux box wins in /every/ way,
    >> as long as you make sensible choices about software (and don't just
    >> install /everything/ that's included with a distro).

    > not in terms of mass "usability", linux never has a chance.
    >
    > linux is mainly the purview of the poor, inexperienced and uninformed.

    ....Really? The inexcperienced and uninformed? Like IBM? Or Sony, Disney
    or Pixar (although Pixar may have switched platorms since they supported
    the Wine project).

    > osx is where the winners live, everyone in the unix community agrees
    > with that.

    Disney is not a winner?

    > http://www.apple.com/macosx/
    >
    > http://www.apple.com/server/macosx/
    >
    > the big boys never even consider linux at this point in the game.

    What world do you live in?

    --
    Rick

  16. Re: Apple's OSX crap compared to Linux

    Tommy Tickler wrote:

    > There are also a damn side larger number of decent apps that have
    > professional polish for OS X compared to Linux. It is all well and good
    > to run an OS, but that OS also needs quality apps to run on it. Linux
    > might have a gazillion apps, but that significant majority are amateur
    > hour by comparison to the apps designed to run on OS X

    correct. there isn't a single Linux app that measures up to any OSX app.

    the Linux community just doesn't value quality, they just want rough
    hacks, they never spend time making an app "work" like every OSX
    automatically does.

    mainly because Linux doesn't have any foundation, it's a pure kludge in
    every sense.

    linux programmers need to learn from the masters at Apple:

    http://developer.apple.com/macosx/ar...ure/index.html

    until they do, their minuscule market share will continue to shrink.

    -

  17. Re: Apple's OSX crap compared to Linux

    In article ,
    Little Gorm wrote:

    > I will admit that many of the apps running in Linux are not as well
    > polished as those of MS or Apple, but given time they will improve. Apple
    > and MS spend literally millions in research in fine tuning their GUIs for
    > the average user, while apps in the Linux community are built by
    > relavtively small groups who are far more intent on ensuring a stable and
    > secure core. As Linux distros mature, the interfaces for the apps will also
    > greatly improve. At the present, you have various distros that appeal to
    > different sets of users. With MS and Apple you take it the way they want
    > you to have it.

    millions? certainly not in the case of apple...

    OSX relies on Aqua to make all apps consistent without any cost to the
    developer. Windows and Linux don't have this type of free foundation so
    their apps always seem haphazard compared to OSX apps.

    apple/next did most of this work 5-20 years ago, now everyone that
    develops for OSX joins in the party.

    every Mac app "just works" since Apple did all the hard work years ago...

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aqua_(user_interface)

    the rest is just gravy... making an OSX app takes less than 4 minutes,
    which is shocking compared to Linux or Windows.

    so developing on OSX is the easiest of any platform... to get started,
    go here:

    it's all free, so no wonder OSX has far better apps than Windows and
    Linux combined!

    http://developer.apple.com/tools/xcode/

    it's the world's best development environment bar none.

    http://developer.apple.com/

    enjoy!

    -

  18. Re: Apple's OSX crap compared to Linux

    In article ,
    O x f o r d wrote:

    > In article ,
    > Little Gorm wrote:
    >
    > > I will admit that many of the apps running in Linux are not as well
    > > polished as those of MS or Apple, but given time they will improve. Apple
    > > and MS spend literally millions in research in fine tuning their GUIs for
    > > the average user, while apps in the Linux community are built by
    > > relavtively small groups who are far more intent on ensuring a stable and
    > > secure core. As Linux distros mature, the interfaces for the apps will also
    > > greatly improve. At the present, you have various distros that appeal to
    > > different sets of users. With MS and Apple you take it the way they want
    > > you to have it.

    > millions? certainly not in the case of apple...
    >
    > OSX relies on Aqua to make all apps consistent without any cost to the
    > developer. Windows and Linux don't have this type of free foundation so
    > their apps always seem haphazard compared to OSX apps.
    >
    > apple/next did most of this work 5-20 years ago, now everyone that
    > develops for OSX joins in the party.
    >
    > every Mac app "just works" since Apple did all the hard work years ago...
    >
    > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aqua_(user_interface)
    >
    > the rest is just gravy... making an OSX app takes less than 4 minutes,
    > which is shocking compared to Linux or Windows.
    >
    > so developing on OSX is the easiest of any platform... to get started,
    > go here:
    >
    > it's all free, so no wonder OSX has far better apps than Windows and
    > Linux combined!
    >
    > http://developer.apple.com/tools/xcode/
    >
    > it's the world's best development environment bar none.
    >
    > http://developer.apple.com/
    >
    > enjoy!
    >
    > -

    Tell me, Oxford, do you wear a skirt and wave pom-poms when you do all
    this cheerleading?

  19. Re: Apple's OSX crap compared to Linux

    In article ,
    O x f o r d wrote:

    > In article ,
    > Little Gorm wrote:
    >
    > > I will admit that many of the apps running in Linux are not as well
    > > polished as those of MS or Apple, but given time they will improve. Apple
    > > and MS spend literally millions in research in fine tuning their GUIs for
    > > the average user, while apps in the Linux community are built by
    > > relavtively small groups who are far more intent on ensuring a stable and
    > > secure core. As Linux distros mature, the interfaces for the apps will also
    > > greatly improve. At the present, you have various distros that appeal to
    > > different sets of users. With MS and Apple you take it the way they want
    > > you to have it.

    > millions? certainly not in the case of apple...
    >
    > OSX relies on Aqua to make all apps consistent without any cost to the
    > developer. Windows and Linux don't have this type of free foundation so
    > their apps always seem haphazard compared to OSX apps.
    >
    > apple/next did most of this work 5-20 years ago, now everyone that
    > develops for OSX joins in the party.
    >
    > every Mac app "just works" since Apple did all the hard work years ago...
    >
    > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aqua_(user_interface)
    >
    > the rest is just gravy... making an OSX app takes less than 4 minutes,
    > which is shocking compared to Linux or Windows.
    >
    > so developing on OSX is the easiest of any platform... to get started,
    > go here:
    >
    > it's all free, so no wonder OSX has far better apps than Windows and
    > Linux combined!
    >
    > http://developer.apple.com/tools/xcode/
    >
    > it's the world's best development environment bar none.
    >
    > http://developer.apple.com/
    >
    > enjoy!
    >
    > -

    Oxford,

    Will you please refrain from changing your posting identity? It will
    make it easier for me to keep you killfiled.

    Thanks.

    --
    Alan Baker
    Vancouver, British Columbia

  20. Re: Apple's OSX crap compared to Linux

    On Mon, 07 Jan 2008 19:47:09 -0700, O x f o r d wrote:

    > Peter Köhlmann wrote:
    >
    >> Only that Linus did never move to OSX
    >>
    >> Sorry to burst your bubble, cretinous typical Mac user OxRetard, but
    >> you are wrong as usual: He is /also/ using a Apple computer. He runs
    >> linux PPC on it

    > but all his kids use OSX exclusively,

    .... and how do you know this? And AGAIN, Torvalds does NOT use OS X.

    > plus he lives in a primarily mac
    > town. The word, "Linux" is barely known in Oregon.

    So what? It doesn't matter where he lives, he doesn't run OS X. He used
    that Mac to develop Linux on PPC, and you keep lying about it.

    > get out once in a while Peter... have you ever even been to the States?
    > Linux is a massive joke here, that is...

    You're a lair,

    > IF you can find somebody that has even heard of it.

    I dare say more people in the US have heard abut Linux than Unix. So what?

    > Travel Peter, it will make you less of a fool.
    >
    > -

    Why don't you buy some honesty.

    --
    Rick