Apple's OSX Wins Platform of the Year at CES - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Apple's OSX Wins Platform of the Year at CES - Ubuntu ; Tim Smith wrote: > Same situation with the newest Mac Pros. They are quite reasonably > priced compared with similar systems from other vendors. Apple don't produce hardware of the specification and quality I (and many others) require. The Mac ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5 13 14 15
Results 281 to 285 of 285

  1. Re: Apple's OSX crap compared to Linux

    Tim Smith wrote:

    > Same situation with the newest Mac Pros. They are quite reasonably
    > priced compared with similar systems from other vendors.

    Apple don't produce hardware of the specification and quality I (and many
    others) require. The Mac Pro across the office from me cost over twice as
    much as the PC I'm currently using. The PC has more, faster processors,
    more RAM, more hard drive and a better video card than the Mac. There is
    no comparison.

    C.

  2. Re: Apple's OSX crap compared to Linux

    George Graves wrote:

    > Now, there's a real bit of wishful thinking on your part. Most people who
    > buy Macs LOVE them and think that the slight premium that they MIGHT pay
    > for the privilege of having a Mac is well worth it.

    It's /not/ a privilege, it's a burden. You're encumbered by limited,
    proprietary hardware, restrictive Apple company policies, a /very/ small
    range of available software, and outrageous prices!

    > And we advocates extol
    > the virtues and shortcomings of Apple and the Mac because we care about
    > the platform.

    So you "extol the shortcomings" of the Mac, do you? A /real/ advocate,
    then!

    > It's only those people who are jealous of Apple or who are
    > fanatical about another platform who try to convince themselves to think
    > as you do.

    Apple has /nothing/ to be jealous of any more.

    Historically, when they used Motorola processors, demanded RAM as fast as
    the processors to prevent hardware bottlenecks, when the hardware was
    properly designed, then there /was/ something to be slightly jealous of.
    Macs used to perform /much/ faster than the PCs of the time, even using
    slower processors. This is no longer true.

    Apple just produce over-priced, over-hyped rubbish these days. They've lost
    their technological advantage and now have to play catch-up to the latest
    Linux desktops.

    FYI, on my last visit to Cupertino, there were /many/ kde desktops in
    evidence...

    C.

    --
    Only two global industries describe their customers as "users"...

  3. Re: Apple's OSX crap compared to Linux

    On Tue, 15 Jan 2008 10:36:43 +0000, Christopher Hunter wrote:

    >> USB Web-Camera.. same thing..

    > Nobody I'm aware of has ever had any problem of that sort.

    To be entirely fair, this is the only place where I still have problems.
    The Logitech USB Webcam for Notebooks Pro is not well supported, and I
    have never gotten it working on any distro. I am holding out hope for
    Hardy... ;-)

    Otherwise, I would agree with everything you said...

    --
    Joe - Linux User #449481/Ubuntu User #19733
    joe at hits - buffalo dot com

  4. Re: Apple's OSX crap compared to Linux

    In article ,
    Peter Kohlmann wrote:

    > Tim Smith wrote:
    >
    > > In article ,
    > > Christopher Hunter wrote:
    > >> OSX is pretty, quite secure, but stuck with that which you're given by
    > >> Apple. It's highly proprietary, and only works on proprietary hardware.

    > > Really? I can't install third party things on OS X?

    > Sure you can. Most cost premium prices.
    > And no, you can't install OSX on non-apple hardware

    Where do you get that idea? Oh that's right, you're a clueless Linux
    user.

    You can install OS X on any machine you want, as long as the hardware is
    supported. Just because Apple says you can't, doesn't mean that you
    actually can't do it. Apple doesn't get to write laws. It's not
    illegal, just not supported by Apple. But like Linux, there is plenty
    of support on the net.

  5. Re: Apple's OSX crap compared to Linux

    "Rick" stated in post 13o5nqtf2bl5f5f@news.supernews.com
    on 1/7/08 7:26 PM:

    > On Mon, 07 Jan 2008 18:24:56 -0600, Lloyd Parsons wrote:
    >
    >> In article <13o5gaj23tajm15@news.supernews.com>, Rick
    >> wrote:

    >>> ... as long as you install X11 too is not the same as out of the box.

    >> Uh, with Leopard, the default install is with X11...

    > So, X11 is installed on all new Macs now?

    Yes.

    --
    I am one of only .3% of people who have avoided becoming a statistic.