switch - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on switch - Ubuntu ; Hi, I installed over the weekend Kubuntu on my notebook and really like it. I'm playing with the thought to convert my desktop from opensuse 10.3 over to Kubuntu. What could be the problems i'm facing regarding pasting my home ...

  1. switch

    Hi,

    I installed over the weekend Kubuntu on my notebook and really like it. I'm
    playing with the thought to convert my desktop from opensuse 10.3 over to
    Kubuntu.
    What could be the problems i'm facing regarding pasting my home folder back
    in to place? I mean I would make an archive of my home folder and play it
    back once I've installed Kubuntu. Would everything still be where it's
    supposed to? Mainly Kontact data like email and contact or rrs groups in
    Akregator or play history in Amarok. Will it all be at the same place or
    would I be facing any problems? Any suggestions? Or experiences?
    Thanks,
    Ron

  2. Re: switch

    Hi Ron,
    As always, a backup is a great idea. I use gnome, so I am unfamiliar with
    Kontact. I would recommend trying to tar your home folder and then taking
    it to your laptop and replacing your home dir there first. Just make sure
    that you are using the same user name on the desktop that you are on your
    laptop.

    If this does not work, the best thing to do is export everything in mbox
    format. This is a widely used format that most OS programs will work with.

    If the functionality is not built it (would find it hard to believe),
    then you can download utilities for kontact at

    http://kontact.kde.org/kmail/tools.php

    Hope this helps.

    James Aylesworth
    /----------------------------------\
    aim -jarhed323
    ymsg -urc_jim
    email -urc.jim@frontiernet.net
    Desktop -ubuntu 7.10
    Server -ubuntu 6.06
    \----------------------------------/

    On Wed, 02 Jan 2008 19:31:27 +0000, Ron Eggler wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I installed over the weekend Kubuntu on my notebook and really like it.
    > I'm playing with the thought to convert my desktop from opensuse 10.3
    > over to Kubuntu.
    > What could be the problems i'm facing regarding pasting my home folder
    > back in to place? I mean I would make an archive of my home folder and
    > play it back once I've installed Kubuntu. Would everything still be
    > where it's supposed to? Mainly Kontact data like email and contact or
    > rrs groups in Akregator or play history in Amarok. Will it all be at the
    > same place or would I be facing any problems? Any suggestions? Or
    > experiences? Thanks,
    > Ron

  3. Re: switch

    James R. Aylesworth wrote:

    > Hi Ron,
    > As always, a backup is a great idea. I use gnome, so I am unfamiliar with
    > Kontact. I would recommend trying to tar your home folder and then taking
    > it to your laptop and replacing your home dir there first. Just make sure
    > that you are using the same user name on the desktop that you are on your
    > laptop.
    >
    > If this does not work, the best thing to do is export everything in mbox
    > format. This is a widely used format that most OS programs will work with.
    >
    > If the functionality is not built it (would find it hard to believe),
    > then you can download utilities for kontact at
    >
    > http://kontact.kde.org/kmail/tools.php

    Alright, will do thank you.

    It's not this easy to leave suse behind me after having been loyal for
    almost 10 years....I'm still hesitating cause in Suse i just know how to do
    it....but...uhm... let's see if i really can step over my roots...
    I would like to tho. Kubuntu really seem to "just work" even stand by on my
    laptop works well, almost, it comes backup with no ethernet... but
    haven't played around yet

    Ron

    > Hope this helps.
    >
    > James Aylesworth
    > /----------------------------------\
    > aim -jarhed323
    > ymsg -urc_jim
    > email -urc.jim@frontiernet.net
    > Desktop -ubuntu 7.10
    > Server -ubuntu 6.06
    > \----------------------------------/
    >

    > On Wed, 02 Jan 2008 19:31:27 +0000, Ron Eggler wrote:
    >
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> I installed over the weekend Kubuntu on my notebook and really like it.
    >> I'm playing with the thought to convert my desktop from opensuse 10.3
    >> over to Kubuntu.
    >> What could be the problems i'm facing regarding pasting my home folder
    >> back in to place? I mean I would make an archive of my home folder and
    >> play it back once I've installed Kubuntu. Would everything still be
    >> where it's supposed to? Mainly Kontact data like email and contact or
    >> rrs groups in Akregator or play history in Amarok. Will it all be at the
    >> same place or would I be facing any problems? Any suggestions? Or
    >> experiences? Thanks,
    >> Ron

  4. Re: switch

    Ron,
    I can completely relate as I switched over from slackware...if that isn't
    a bit in the reverse. However, things just seemed to be easier and flow
    much more fluidly (aptitude is wonderful).

    Also, you could set your machine to run a shell script to reset
    networking on wake or have it execute:

    /etc/init.d/networking restart

    Best of luck, keep us updated.

    ~Jimmi~