Partitioning questions still unresolved - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Partitioning questions still unresolved - Ubuntu ; OK, I have given up on the idea of keeping my current encrypted partition. I need to know if I can do the following from the Ubuntu 7.10 CD: 1) Can I format a drive NTFS after booting from the ...

  1. Partitioning questions still unresolved

    OK, I have given up on the idea of keeping my current encrypted partition.
    I need to know if I can do the following from the Ubuntu 7.10 CD:

    1) Can I format a drive NTFS after booting from the CD, without
    installing Ubuntu first?
    (I need to format that drive, then move everthing to it for safe
    keeping *before* I install Ubuntu.)

    2) Do I need to remove my current dual-boot situation before installing
    Ubuntu, or can it safely overwrite it?
    (I have Windows on the primary hard drive; however its boot sector
    has been overwritten with a utility that asks me whether I want to
    boot Windows or SuSE. SuSE is on the secondary hard drive. I want
    to keep this arrangement, but have Ubuntu replace SuSE.

    3) When I do install, I hope I will be given the opportunity to re-
    partition and re-format some of my other drives. Can the
    installation program on the 7.10 CD set up an encrypted partition
    in a format that Ubuntu supports? From Googling around, I get the
    impression that I may need some sort of alternate Ubuntu CD to do
    this. Once again, I do not intend to encrypt the main partition
    with all the Ubuntu stuff, just part of a tertiary drive where I
    can put the files I want encrypted.

    --
    Please reply to: | "Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is
    pciszek at panix dot com | indistinguishable from malice."

  2. Re: Partitioning questions still unresolved

    I should add: Is there an honest-to-goodness *manual* somewhere that
    explains stuff like this? The "documentation" on the Ubuntu website
    is very general and very basic. I want to RTFM.

    --
    Please reply to: | "Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is
    pciszek at panix dot com | indistinguishable from malice."
    Autoreply is disabled |

  3. Re: Partitioning questions still unresolved

    Paul Ciszek schreef:
    > OK, I have given up on the idea of keeping my current encrypted partition.
    > I need to know if I can do the following from the Ubuntu 7.10 CD:
    >
    > 1) Can I format a drive NTFS after booting from the CD, without
    > installing Ubuntu first?
    > (I need to format that drive, then move everthing to it for safe
    > keeping *before* I install Ubuntu.)

    I havent't read all your posts but believe you have a working dual boot
    machine, then why not format the drive to NTFS from Windows!

    > 2) Do I need to remove my current dual-boot situation before installing
    > Ubuntu, or can it safely overwrite it?
    > (I have Windows on the primary hard drive; however its boot sector
    > has been overwritten with a utility that asks me whether I want to
    > boot Windows or SuSE. SuSE is on the secondary hard drive. I want
    > to keep this arrangement, but have Ubuntu replace SuSE.

    No problem what so ever, this is the most common way to set up or
    refresh a dual boot system.

    > 3) When I do install, I hope I will be given the opportunity to re-
    > partition and re-format some of my other drives. Can the
    > installation program on the 7.10 CD set up an encrypted partition
    > in a format that Ubuntu supports? From Googling around, I get the
    > impression that I may need some sort of alternate Ubuntu CD to do
    > this. Once again, I do not intend to encrypt the main partition
    > with all the Ubuntu stuff, just part of a tertiary drive where I
    > can put the files I want encrypted.

    On of the cleanest and most transparent ways of repartitioning is via a
    GParted Live CD.
    But GParted is also on the Ubuntu CD, providing there is enough free
    space on a drive you can even resize it without losing data on it.
    Yet, like always, you better back up first...

    There are ways of later encrypting a drive but I've never used it.

    I prefer to use Truecrypt, it allows you to make one large encrypted
    container (like a directory) that you can mount and unmount as if it
    were a drive.
    One of the advantages of Truecrypt is that you can also access such a
    drive or container from Windows, it is truly portable.
    The size limitation is 4GB only when using FAT32, no such problems with
    NTFS or ext2/3.
    Truecrypt is in the repositories and it's advisable to also install
    ctgui or similar.

  4. Re: Partitioning questions still unresolved

    Paul Ciszek wrote:
    > I should add: Is there an honest-to-goodness *manual* somewhere that
    > explains stuff like this? The "documentation" on the Ubuntu website
    > is very general and very basic. I want to RTFM.

    I googled your query (you could easily have done the same)

    Try:

    http://tinyurl.com/2mzjr5

    Follow links as necessary

    Beege

  5. Re: Partitioning questions still unresolved

    Beege schreef:
    > Paul Ciszek wrote:
    >> I should add: Is there an honest-to-goodness *manual* somewhere that
    >> explains stuff like this? The "documentation" on the Ubuntu website
    >> is very general and very basic. I want to RTFM.
    >>

    > I googled your query (you could easily have done the same)
    >
    > Try:
    >
    > http://tinyurl.com/2mzjr5

    Thanks for the info but please use full links:
    "http://www.openvirtualization.com/docs/manuals/linux/RHL-9-Manual/install-guide/s1-diskpartitioning.html"

    These short cuts don't live forever and will become a dead end for
    future readers.

    > Follow links as necessary
    >
    > Beege

  6. Re: Partitioning questions still unresolved

    Dirk T. Verbeek wrote:
    > Beege schreef:
    >> Paul Ciszek wrote:
    >>> I should add: Is there an honest-to-goodness *manual* somewhere that
    >>> explains stuff like this? The "documentation" on the Ubuntu website
    >>> is very general and very basic. I want to RTFM.
    >>>

    >> I googled your query (you could easily have done the same)
    >>
    >> Try:
    >>
    >> http://tinyurl.com/2mzjr5

    > Thanks for the info but please use full links:
    > "http://www.openvirtualization.com/docs/manuals/linux/RHL-9-Manual/install-guide/s1-diskpartitioning.html"
    >

    > These short cuts don't live forever and will become a dead end for
    > future readers.
    >>
    >> Follow links as necessary
    >>
    >> Beege

    Thanks Dirk, didn't know that.

    Beege

  7. Re: Partitioning questions still unresolved

    "Dirk T. Verbeek" writes:

    > Beege schreef:
    >> Paul Ciszek wrote:
    >>> I should add: Is there an honest-to-goodness *manual* somewhere that
    >>> explains stuff like this? The "documentation" on the Ubuntu website
    >>> is very general and very basic. I want to RTFM.
    >>>

    >> I googled your query (you could easily have done the same)
    >>
    >> Try:
    >>
    >> http://tinyurl.com/2mzjr5

    > Thanks for the info but please use full links:
    > "http://www.openvirtualization.com/docs/manuals/linux/RHL-9-Manual/install-guide/s1-diskpartitioning.html"
    >
    > These short cuts don't live forever and will become a dead end for
    > future readers.

    They do live forever (afaik). Or they did .... As long as the original
    might be expected to anyway.

    And besides, ubuntu newsgroup is not archived

    Or?

    providing a tinyurl in addition to the full link is a nice courtesy IMO
    since many people break long URLs inadvertently in their replies.

    --
    Yo gusto de Windows 95, es él que no gusta de m*.
    -- Www.frases.com.

  8. Re: Partitioning questions still unresolved

    In article ,
    Beege wrote:
    >Paul Ciszek wrote:
    >> I should add: Is there an honest-to-goodness *manual* somewhere that
    >> explains stuff like this? The "documentation" on the Ubuntu website
    >> is very general and very basic. I want to RTFM.
    >>

    >I googled your query (you could easily have done the same)
    >
    >Try:
    >
    >http://tinyurl.com/2mzjr5
    >
    >Follow links as necessary

    Thank you for the RedHat manual, but that doesn't tell me if Ubuntu
    (a Debian derivative, right?) has the capability to set up an encrypted
    partion when installing from the CD. The googling that I have done has
    led to articles where people talk about needing the "Alternative CD" to
    establish an encrypted partition.

    --
    Please reply to: | "One of the hardest parts of my job is to
    pciszek at panix dot com | connect Iraq to the War on Terror."

+ Reply to Thread