scanner detection - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on scanner detection - Ubuntu ; I was wondering if anyone knows how to get a Visioneer 7600 OneTouch USB scanner to work in Linux. Also, does anyone know if there is a scanner that works out of the box with Linux? Z.K....

  1. scanner detection

    I was wondering if anyone knows how to get a Visioneer 7600 OneTouch USB
    scanner to work in Linux. Also, does anyone know if there is a scanner
    that works out of the box with Linux?

    Z.K.

  2. Re: scanner detection

    On Tue, 01 Jan 2008 22:17:03 +0000, Z.K. wrote:

    > I was wondering if anyone knows how to get a Visioneer 7600 OneTouch USB
    > scanner to work in Linux. Also, does anyone know if there is a scanner
    > that works out of the box with Linux?
    >
    > Z.K.

    My Canon LiDE 35 worked out of the box. Don't know if you can still buy
    them new.

  3. Re: scanner detection

    what software do you use to scan? also, do you use an ocr application?

  4. Re: scanner detection

    On Tue, 01 Jan 2008 17:23:32 -0500, Meat Plow wrote:

    > On Tue, 01 Jan 2008 22:17:03 +0000, Z.K. wrote:
    >
    >> I was wondering if anyone knows how to get a Visioneer 7600 OneTouch
    >> USB scanner to work in Linux. Also, does anyone know if there is a
    >> scanner that works out of the box with Linux?
    >>
    >> Z.K.

    > My Canon LiDE 35 worked out of the box. Don't know if you can still buy
    > them new.

    I have an old Microtek Scanmaker III which worked erratically with XP
    but, thanks to Hamrick's Vuescan software, works flawlessly now.

    Vuescan is my choice for scanning software. It supports just about all
    scanners. I bought the pro version and am entitled to updates. By the
    way, get one license and you can also use Vuescan on a Windows box.

    Hamrick is responsive to queries.

    You may wish to check the vuescan sight to see if your scanner is on the
    list.

  5. Re: scanner detection

    On Wed, 02 Jan 2008 00:02:15 +0000, franz frippl wrote:

    > On Tue, 01 Jan 2008 17:23:32 -0500, Meat Plow wrote:
    >
    >> On Tue, 01 Jan 2008 22:17:03 +0000, Z.K. wrote:
    >>
    >>> I was wondering if anyone knows how to get a Visioneer 7600 OneTouch
    >>> USB scanner to work in Linux. Also, does anyone know if there is a
    >>> scanner that works out of the box with Linux?
    >>>
    >>> Z.K.

    >> My Canon LiDE 35 worked out of the box. Don't know if you can still buy
    >> them new.

    > I have an old Microtek Scanmaker III which worked erratically with XP
    > but, thanks to Hamrick's Vuescan software, works flawlessly now.
    >
    > Vuescan is my choice for scanning software. It supports just about all
    > scanners. I bought the pro version and am entitled to updates. By the
    > way, get one license and you can also use Vuescan on a Windows box.
    >
    > Hamrick is responsive to queries.
    >
    > You may wish to check the vuescan sight to see if your scanner is on the
    > list.

    I just use Kookla. No need on this end for any major ocr software. And I
    was maybe wrongly so, under the impression that the kernel had to
    recognize the scanner in order for it to work with any scan utility.

  6. Re: scanner detection

    On Tue, 01 Jan 2008 22:17:03 +0000, Z.K. wrote:

    > I was wondering if anyone knows how to get a Visioneer 7600 OneTouch USB
    > scanner to work in Linux. Also, does anyone know if there is a scanner
    > that works out of the box with Linux?
    >
    > Z.K.

    Most HP and Epson scanners work quite well. See avasys.jp/english for a
    list of supported Epson scanners and printers.

  7. Re: scanner detection

    Meat Plow wrote:
    > I just use Kookla.

    Maybe you meant Kooka.

    --Benjamin Franklin

  8. Re: scanner detection

    On Tue, 01 Jan 2008 22:17:03 GMT, "Z.K." wrote:

    >I was wondering if anyone knows how to get a Visioneer 7600 OneTouch USB
    >scanner to work in Linux. Also, does anyone know if there is a scanner
    >that works out of the box with Linux?
    >
    > Z.K.

    This is a copy and paste from my post about a week ago:
    I installed Ubuntu 7.10 and added the full KDE suite to make a sort of
    Kubuntu, which I used for these tests:

    My Canon LiDE30 works wtih both XSane and Kooka even if I plug it in
    after boot time (it gets it's power from the USB connection)

    My Epson Perfection 2480 Photo will work on both of the above
    programs, but only if it's plugged in and powered up while booting (it
    uses a 120 VAC power brick)

    If I unplug it after booting, and plug it back in, or don't plug it in
    at all until after booting, I get error messages in both programs and
    it is not recognized and does not work

+ Reply to Thread