eSATA hotplug on 2.6.20-16-generic - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on eSATA hotplug on 2.6.20-16-generic - Ubuntu ; I've purchased an Antec USB/eSATA case. Inside is my old 200 gig WD drive that I've since cloned. I'm using the now free mainboard SATA port and a backplate eSATA adaptor to connect to the external eSATA drive. Problem is ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 27

  1. eSATA hotplug on 2.6.20-16-generic

    I've purchased an Antec USB/eSATA case. Inside is my
    old 200 gig WD drive that I've since cloned. I'm using the now free
    mainboard SATA port and a backplate eSATA adaptor to connect to the
    external eSATA drive. Problem is when I start the PC, linux boots off the
    external eSATA drive even though it's not listed as a bootable device in
    BIOS. I thought I could edit which drive boots when the menu pops up by
    changing hd0,1 to hd1,1 but the external still boots.

    Does anyone have a theory as to what will happen if I boot then
    power the eSATA drive drive up after I've logged in to my desktop?
    I'm a bit leary to try this until I can get some opinions.

  2. Re: eSATA hotplug on 2.6.20-16-generic

    Meat Plow writes:

    > I've purchased an Antec USB/eSATA case. Inside is my
    > old 200 gig WD drive that I've since cloned. I'm using the now free
    > mainboard SATA port and a backplate eSATA adaptor to connect to the
    > external eSATA drive. Problem is when I start the PC, linux boots off the
    > external eSATA drive even though it's not listed as a bootable device in
    > BIOS. I thought I could edit which drive boots when the menu pops up by
    > changing hd0,1 to hd1,1 but the external still boots.

    You have Linux on your external drive?

    Does grub still show up? Where is grub stored?

    --
    El cuerpo si se le trata bien puede durar toda la vida.
    -- Noel Clarasó. (1905-1985) Escritor español.

  3. Re: eSATA hotplug on 2.6.20-16-generic

    On Wed, 02 Jan 2008 00:04:00 +0100, Hadron wrote:

    > Meat Plow writes:
    >
    >> I've purchased an Antec USB/eSATA case. Inside is my
    >> old 200 gig WD drive that I've since cloned. I'm using the now free
    >> mainboard SATA port and a backplate eSATA adaptor to connect to the
    >> external eSATA drive. Problem is when I start the PC, linux boots off the
    >> external eSATA drive even though it's not listed as a bootable device in
    >> BIOS. I thought I could edit which drive boots when the menu pops up by
    >> changing hd0,1 to hd1,1 but the external still boots.

    > You have Linux on your external drive?

    As I explained above, linux is on both external and internal drives.
    The internal is a clone of the external.

    > Does grub still show up? Where is grub stored?

    Both drive have a bootloader and grub in the normal places.
    I had to install the bootloader on the internal drive as that doesn't get
    cloned.

    >> Does anyone have a theory as to what will happen if I boot then power
    >> the eSATA drive drive up after I've logged in to my desktop? I'm a bit
    >> leary to try this until I can get some opinions.

  4. Re: eSATA hotplug on 2.6.20-16-generic

    Meat Plow wrote:

    > I've purchased an Antec USB/eSATA case. Inside is my
    > old 200 gig WD drive that I've since cloned. I'm using the now free
    > mainboard SATA port and a backplate eSATA adaptor to connect to the
    > external eSATA drive. Problem is when I start the PC, linux boots off the
    > external eSATA drive even though it's not listed as a bootable device in
    > BIOS. I thought I could edit which drive boots when the menu pops up by
    > changing hd0,1 to hd1,1 but the external still boots.
    >
    > Does anyone have a theory as to what will happen if I boot then
    > power the eSATA drive drive up after I've logged in to my desktop?
    > I'm a bit leary to try this until I can get some opinions.

    Does you bios have a "boot offboard drives first option"? Turn it off.

    --

    Jerry McBride (jmcbride@mail-on.us)

  5. Re: eSATA hotplug on 2.6.20-16-generic

    Meat Plow writes:

    > On Wed, 02 Jan 2008 00:04:00 +0100, Hadron wrote:
    >
    >> Meat Plow writes:
    >>
    >>> I've purchased an Antec USB/eSATA case. Inside is my
    >>> old 200 gig WD drive that I've since cloned. I'm using the now free
    >>> mainboard SATA port and a backplate eSATA adaptor to connect to the
    >>> external eSATA drive. Problem is when I start the PC, linux boots off the
    >>> external eSATA drive even though it's not listed as a bootable device in
    >>> BIOS. I thought I could edit which drive boots when the menu pops up by
    >>> changing hd0,1 to hd1,1 but the external still boots.

    >> You have Linux on your external drive?

    > As I explained above, linux is on both external and internal drives.
    > The internal is a clone of the external.

    You did not explain that above. You just said that the case has a cloned
    WD Drive. No mention of what was on it.

    >> Does grub still show up? Where is grub stored?

    > Both drive have a bootloader and grub in the normal places.
    > I had to install the bootloader on the internal drive as that doesn't get
    > cloned.

    I have no idea what you mean with that last sentence. The bootloader
    should have bee on the internal drive since I assume that's what you want
    to boot from. The bootloader/grub should have been there from the linux
    install I assume?

    You are 100% sure your BIOS does not have the SATA is bootable? What
    about boot order?

    The main question I have is why would you have an external drive
    permanently connected if all it contains is a clone?

    Personally, I don't bother with clones and only back up important data
    using rsync and rsnapshot. Not that that is much help to you.

    >>> Does anyone have a theory as to what will happen if I boot then power
    >>> the eSATA drive drive up after I've logged in to my desktop? I'm a bit
    >>> leary to try this until I can get some opinions.

    What do you think will happen? It can't hurt. Try it.

    I suspect there will be an easy answer. Take a step back. Reinvestigate
    your BIOS options. Unplug your SATA drives and just check you CAN indeed
    still boot from the rub/linux on the internal drive. Lets get rid of
    some low hanging fruit first.

  6. Re: eSATA hotplug on 2.6.20-16-generic

    Meat Plow wrote:

    > I've purchased an Antec USB/eSATA case. Inside is my
    > old 200 gig WD drive that I've since cloned. I'm using the now free
    > mainboard SATA port and a backplate eSATA adaptor to connect to the
    > external eSATA drive. Problem is when I start the PC, linux boots off the
    > external eSATA drive even though it's not listed as a bootable device in
    > BIOS. I thought I could edit which drive boots when the menu pops up by
    > changing hd0,1 to hd1,1 but the external still boots.
    >
    > Does anyone have a theory as to what will happen if I boot then
    > power the eSATA drive drive up after I've logged in to my desktop?
    > I'm a bit leary to try this until I can get some opinions.

    does the external hard drive still have a active primary partition
    if so deactivate it.

    second you could help me out here when you use it what is the transfer rate
    and what os do you use. for i have had problems with low transfer rate on
    mine.

  7. Re: eSATA hotplug on 2.6.20-16-generic

    Darklight writes:

    > Meat Plow wrote:
    >
    >> I've purchased an Antec USB/eSATA case. Inside is my
    >> old 200 gig WD drive that I've since cloned. I'm using the now free
    >> mainboard SATA port and a backplate eSATA adaptor to connect to the
    >> external eSATA drive. Problem is when I start the PC, linux boots off the
    >> external eSATA drive even though it's not listed as a bootable device in
    >> BIOS. I thought I could edit which drive boots when the menu pops up by
    >> changing hd0,1 to hd1,1 but the external still boots.
    >>
    >> Does anyone have a theory as to what will happen if I boot then
    >> power the eSATA drive drive up after I've logged in to my desktop?
    >> I'm a bit leary to try this until I can get some opinions.

    > does the external hard drive still have a active primary partition
    > if so deactivate it.
    >
    > second you could help me out here when you use it what is the transfer rate
    > and what os do you use. for i have had problems with low transfer rate on
    > mine.

    It's not just me is it?

  8. Re: eSATA hotplug on 2.6.20-16-generic

    Hadron wrote:

    > Meat Plow writes:
    >
    >> I've purchased an Antec USB/eSATA case. Inside is my
    >> old 200 gig WD drive that I've since cloned. I'm using the now free
    >> mainboard SATA port and a backplate eSATA adaptor to connect to the
    >> external eSATA drive. Problem is when I start the PC, linux boots off the
    >> external eSATA drive even though it's not listed as a bootable device in
    >> BIOS. I thought I could edit which drive boots when the menu pops up by
    >> changing hd0,1 to hd1,1 but the external still boots.

    > You have Linux on your external drive?
    >
    > Does grub still show up? Where is grub stored?
    >

    >> Does anyone have a theory as to what will happen if I boot then
    >> power the eSATA drive drive up after I've logged in to my desktop?
    >> I'm a bit leary to try this until I can get some opinions.

    I have done that IE booted up os then powered up esata hard drive i have
    found that if i do this the transfer rate is crap IE less the 1mbs but at
    least linux recognises the hard drive. do it in windows and it deos not
    recognise ex-hd.

    owe i had to up date hal but it might not be nessassery

    so i have found the best way to use my esata hard drive is to turn in on
    before i boot up os. and the transfer rate is in the region or 50mbs
    upwards

    If there is a better way out there i am open to suggestions

    all that i have written is based on personal experience!

  9. Re: eSATA hotplug on 2.6.20-16-generic

    Darklight wrote:

    > I have done that IE booted up os then powered up esata hard drive i have
    > found that if i do this the transfer rate is crap IE less the 1mbs but at
    > least linux recognises the hard drive. do it in windows and it deos not
    > recognise ex-hd.

    eSATA is not hotplug on all the MB.
    my MB haves eSATA but it's not hot-plug.
    i have to turn of the pc first.
    --
    EOS
    www.photo-memories.be

  10. Re: eSATA hotplug on 2.6.20-16-generic

    On Tue, 01 Jan 2008 20:20:47 -0500, Jerry McBride wrote:

    > Meat Plow wrote:
    >
    >> I've purchased an Antec USB/eSATA case. Inside is my
    >> old 200 gig WD drive that I've since cloned. I'm using the now free
    >> mainboard SATA port and a backplate eSATA adaptor to connect to the
    >> external eSATA drive. Problem is when I start the PC, linux boots off the
    >> external eSATA drive even though it's not listed as a bootable device in
    >> BIOS. I thought I could edit which drive boots when the menu pops up by
    >> changing hd0,1 to hd1,1 but the external still boots.
    >>
    >> Does anyone have a theory as to what will happen if I boot then
    >> power the eSATA drive drive up after I've logged in to my desktop?
    >> I'm a bit leary to try this until I can get some opinions.

    > Does you bios have a "boot offboard drives first option"? Turn it off.

    The SATA connection is not off board. The setup is an adapter that brings
    the internal connection to the back of the PC so it's just moving the
    drive to the outside.

  11. Re: eSATA hotplug on 2.6.20-16-generic

    On Wed, 02 Jan 2008 02:57:43 +0100, Hadron wrote:

    > Meat Plow writes:

    >>> You have Linux on your external drive?

    >> As I explained above, linux is on both external and internal drives.
    >> The internal is a clone of the external.

    > You did not explain that above. You just said that the case has a cloned
    > WD Drive. No mention of what was on it.

    I took it for granted that you would understand that the drives are
    clones. Besides giving a detail description I just finished up a thread
    concerning Acronis where I gave even more detailed description regarding
    these drives. If you didn't understand that's your fault, not mine.

    >>> Does grub still show up? Where is grub stored?

    >> Both drive have a bootloader and grub in the normal places. I had to
    >> install the bootloader on the internal drive as that doesn't get
    >> cloned.

    > I have no idea what you mean with that last sentence. The bootloader
    > should have bee on the internal drive since I assume that's what you
    > want to boot from. The bootloader/grub should have been there from the
    > linux install I assume?

    The internal /once again/ is a clone of the 200 gig. Acronis does not
    clone the linux boot record so they claim. I installed it on the internal
    drive.

    > You are 100% sure your BIOS does not have the SATA is bootable? What
    > about boot order?

    Ok thanks for trying to help (if that's what you were doing) but you just
    don't understand what's happening here. I will explain it one final time.
    Let's forget it's external.

    1. Both drives are bootable clones of each other.
    2. The drive I don't want to boot is not listed in BIOS boot order.
    3. Root on the new drive is hd0,1
    4. Root on the old drive is hd1,1
    5. The Grub menu parameter is to boot from hd0,1.

    Linux boots from hd1,1 when the old drive is powered up.
    Linux boots from hd0,1 when the old drive is not powered up.

  12. Re: eSATA hotplug on 2.6.20-16-generic

    On Wed, 02 Jan 2008 09:46:49 +0000, Darklight wrote:

    > Meat Plow wrote:
    >
    >> I've purchased an Antec USB/eSATA case. Inside is my
    >> old 200 gig WD drive that I've since cloned. I'm using the now free
    >> mainboard SATA port and a backplate eSATA adaptor to connect to the
    >> external eSATA drive. Problem is when I start the PC, linux boots off the
    >> external eSATA drive even though it's not listed as a bootable device in
    >> BIOS. I thought I could edit which drive boots when the menu pops up by
    >> changing hd0,1 to hd1,1 but the external still boots.
    >>
    >> Does anyone have a theory as to what will happen if I boot then
    >> power the eSATA drive drive up after I've logged in to my desktop?
    >> I'm a bit leary to try this until I can get some opinions.

    > does the external hard drive still have a active primary partition
    > if so deactivate it.
    >
    > second you could help me out here when you use it what is the transfer rate
    > and what os do you use. for i have had problems with low transfer rate on
    > mine.

    Thanks, that's what I will do. Consider my situation as just moving the
    internal drive to the outside of the computer. The internal SATA port is
    still being used via an adapter that brings it to the back of the PC.
    Other than the addition of a USB/SATA bridge device inside the external
    enclosure transfer rates should be the same. How is your external device
    connected?

  13. UPDATE Re: eSATA hotplug on 2.6.20-16-generic

    This topic seemed to morph from the Subject which was about hotplugging
    and not why this PC boots the way it does.

    What I have determined is that if the external drive is off, it is not
    enumerated by the BIOS so it will not be recognized by the operating
    system when it is switched on later. This is because in my case the eSATA
    port is NOT a separate PCI card but rather just an extension of the
    internal SATA port. So it is safe to power up an eSATA drive that is
    connected to an internal SATA port. However the drive is useless since it
    was not recognized by BIOS.

    I have as of yet not tried to power it down when booted in linux as I
    haven't made changes needed to keep it from booting. However I did try
    this in Windows XP. You can power it down safely in XP but don't try to
    access where it was mounted or XP will freeze until you switch the drive
    back on.

  14. Re: eSATA hotplug on 2.6.20-16-generic

    Meat Plow wrote:

    > On Wed, 02 Jan 2008 02:57:43 +0100, Hadron wrote:
    >
    >> Meat Plow writes:

    >>> As I explained above, linux is on both external and internal drives.
    >>> The internal is a clone of the external.

    >> You did not explain that above. You just said that the case has a cloned
    >> WD Drive. No mention of what was on it.

    > I took it for granted that you would understand that the drives are
    > clones. Besides giving a detail description I just finished up a thread
    > concerning Acronis where I gave even more detailed description regarding
    > these drives. If you didn't understand that's your fault, not mine.

    >>> Both drive have a bootloader and grub in the normal places. I had to
    >>> install the bootloader on the internal drive as that doesn't get
    >>> cloned.

    >> I have no idea what you mean with that last sentence. The bootloader
    >> should have bee on the internal drive since I assume that's what you
    >> want to boot from. The bootloader/grub should have been there from the
    >> linux install I assume?

    > The internal /once again/ is a clone of the 200 gig. Acronis does not
    > clone the linux boot record so they claim. I installed it on the internal
    > drive.

    Wrong. Acronis True Image (run from the rescue cd) does clone the MBR.

    Cheers.

    --
    Boot It Up!
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=-kql8cWqiv8

  15. Re: eSATA hotplug on 2.6.20-16-generic

    On Wed, 02 Jan 2008 17:32:16 +0000, NoStop wrote:

    > Meat Plow wrote:

    >>> You did not explain that above. You just said that the case has a cloned
    >>> WD Drive. No mention of what was on it.

    >> I took it for granted that you would understand that the drives are
    >> clones. Besides giving a detail description I just finished up a thread
    >> concerning Acronis where I gave even more detailed description regarding
    >> these drives. If you didn't understand that's your fault, not mine.

    >>> I have no idea what you mean with that last sentence. The bootloader
    >>> should have bee on the internal drive since I assume that's what you
    >>> want to boot from. The bootloader/grub should have been there from the
    >>> linux install I assume?

    >> The internal /once again/ is a clone of the 200 gig. Acronis does not
    >> clone the linux boot record so they claim. I installed it on the internal
    >> drive.
    >>

    > Wrong. Acronis True Image (run from the rescue cd) does clone the MBR.
    >
    > Cheers.

    Well there is a popup that warns that since it's cloned a linux partiton
    to have your linux boot cd handy. I forget what the exact message was
    but when I booted the drive only XP would boot. There was no Grub menu. I
    restored that using the Grub Super Bootdisc.

    So by my description, what was missing?

  16. Re: eSATA hotplug on 2.6.20-16-generic

    Meat Plow writes:

    > On Wed, 02 Jan 2008 02:57:43 +0100, Hadron wrote:
    >
    >> Meat Plow writes:

    >>> As I explained above, linux is on both external and internal drives.
    >>> The internal is a clone of the external.

    >> You did not explain that above. You just said that the case has a cloned
    >> WD Drive. No mention of what was on it.

    > I took it for granted that you would understand that the drives are
    > clones. Besides giving a detail description I just finished up a
    > thread

    You did not give a detailed explanation.

    You text is above. If you want help then I suggest you try and be more
    precise. It is hard to second guess vague waffle.

    > concerning Acronis where I gave even more detailed description regarding
    > these drives. If you didn't understand that's your fault, not mine.

    I see. IN a different thread? Certainly not in this one from what I have
    seen. I also have no knowledge for Acronis. And should not have to.

    >>> Both drive have a bootloader and grub in the normal places. I had to
    >>> install the bootloader on the internal drive as that doesn't get
    >>> cloned.

    >> I have no idea what you mean with that last sentence. The bootloader
    >> should have bee on the internal drive since I assume that's what you
    >> want to boot from. The bootloader/grub should have been there from the
    >> linux install I assume?

    > The internal /once again/ is a clone of the 200 gig. Acronis does not

    Not once again you prat. You never stated this until the last post where
    I acknowledged it.

    > clone the linux boot record so they claim. I installed it on the internal
    > drive.
    >
    >> You are 100% sure your BIOS does not have the SATA is bootable? What
    >> about boot order?

    > Ok thanks for trying to help (if that's what you were doing) but you just
    > don't understand what's happening here. I will explain it one final
    > time.

    LOL.

    > Let's forget it's external.

    No. Lets not.

    > 1. Both drives are bootable clones of each other.

    No they are not. One was cloned without the boot loader and had it
    manually installed. Worryingly, by you.

    > 2. The drive I don't want to boot is not listed in BIOS boot order.
    > 3. Root on the new drive is hd0,1
    > 4. Root on the old drive is hd1,1
    > 5. The Grub menu parameter is to boot from hd0,1.
    >
    > Linux boots from hd1,1 when the old drive is powered up.
    > Linux boots from hd0,1 when the old drive is not powered up.

    For someone so dismissive of others asking for *accurate* information I
    am amazed you can't solve it yourself.

    remove bootloader from external.

    It sounds like a mess to be honest.

    Good luck - you're on your own.

  17. Re: eSATA hotplug on 2.6.20-16-generic

    Meat Plow wrote:

    > On Wed, 02 Jan 2008 17:32:16 +0000, NoStop wrote:
    >
    >> Meat Plow wrote:

    >>> I took it for granted that you would understand that the drives are
    >>> clones. Besides giving a detail description I just finished up a thread
    >>> concerning Acronis where I gave even more detailed description regarding
    >>> these drives. If you didn't understand that's your fault, not mine.

    >>> The internal /once again/ is a clone of the 200 gig. Acronis does not
    >>> clone the linux boot record so they claim. I installed it on the
    >>> internal drive.
    >>>

    >> Wrong. Acronis True Image (run from the rescue cd) does clone the MBR.
    >>
    >> Cheers.

    > Well there is a popup that warns that since it's cloned a linux partiton
    > to have your linux boot cd handy. I forget what the exact message was
    > but when I booted the drive only XP would boot. There was no Grub menu. I
    > restored that using the Grub Super Bootdisc.
    >
    > So by my description, what was missing?

    The popup is a false warning and I have *never* had a problem cloning drives
    (Linux drives) with TrueImage. The MBR is ALWAYS preserved. I've been doing
    this for a number of years now. Latest version of TI that I use is v9. I'm
    guessing the your problem with booting the cloned drive is precisely
    because the MBR that was written on the cloned drive came from the source
    drive.

    Cheers.

    --
    Boot It Up!
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=-kql8cWqiv8

  18. Re: eSATA hotplug on 2.6.20-16-generic

    NoStop writes:

    > Meat Plow wrote:

    >>> You did not explain that above. You just said that the case has a cloned
    >>> WD Drive. No mention of what was on it.

    >> I took it for granted that you would understand that the drives are
    >> clones. Besides giving a detail description I just finished up a thread
    >> concerning Acronis where I gave even more detailed description regarding
    >> these drives. If you didn't understand that's your fault, not mine.

    >>> I have no idea what you mean with that last sentence. The bootloader
    >>> should have bee on the internal drive since I assume that's what you
    >>> want to boot from. The bootloader/grub should have been there from the
    >>> linux install I assume?

    >> The internal /once again/ is a clone of the 200 gig. Acronis does not
    >> clone the linux boot record so they claim. I installed it on the internal
    >> drive.
    >>

    > Wrong. Acronis True Image (run from the rescue cd) does clone the MBR.
    >
    > Cheers.

    Which makes his information even more dubious. It sounds like he
    manually installed the boot loader in the internal and screwed it
    up. Why the hell he wants a clone plugged in a boot is beyond me
    anyway.

  19. Re: eSATA hotplug on 2.6.20-16-generic

    On Wed, 02 Jan 2008 19:57:13 +0100, Hadron wrote:

    > Meat Plow writes:

    >>> You did not explain that above. You just said that the case has a cloned
    >>> WD Drive. No mention of what was on it.

    >> I took it for granted that you would understand that the drives are
    >> clones. Besides giving a detail description I just finished up a
    >> thread

    > You did not give a detailed explanation.
    >
    > You text is above. If you want help then I suggest you try and be more
    > precise. It is hard to second guess vague waffle.
    >
    >> concerning Acronis where I gave even more detailed description regarding
    >> these drives. If you didn't understand that's your fault, not mine.

    > I see. IN a different thread? Certainly not in this one from what I have
    > seen. I also have no knowledge for Acronis. And should not have to.

    >>> I have no idea what you mean with that last sentence. The bootloader
    >>> should have bee on the internal drive since I assume that's what you
    >>> want to boot from. The bootloader/grub should have been there from the
    >>> linux install I assume?

    >> The internal /once again/ is a clone of the 200 gig. Acronis does not

    > Not once again you prat. You never stated this until the last post where
    > I acknowledged it.
    >
    >> clone the linux boot record so they claim. I installed it on the internal
    >> drive.
    >>
    >>> You are 100% sure your BIOS does not have the SATA is bootable? What
    >>> about boot order?

    >> Ok thanks for trying to help (if that's what you were doing) but you just
    >> don't understand what's happening here. I will explain it one final
    >> time.

    > LOL.
    >
    >> Let's forget it's external.

    > No. Lets not.
    >

    >> 1. Both drives are bootable clones of each other.

    > No they are not. One was cloned without the boot loader and had it
    > manually installed. Worryingly, by you.
    >
    >> 2. The drive I don't want to boot is not listed in BIOS boot order.
    >> 3. Root on the new drive is hd0,1
    >> 4. Root on the old drive is hd1,1
    >> 5. The Grub menu parameter is to boot from hd0,1.
    >>
    >> Linux boots from hd1,1 when the old drive is powered up.
    >> Linux boots from hd0,1 when the old drive is not powered up.

    > For someone so dismissive of others asking for *accurate* information I
    > am amazed you can't solve it yourself.
    >
    > remove bootloader from external.
    >
    > It sounds like a mess to be honest.
    >
    > Good luck - you're on your own.

    If you go back to the original subject, I wasn't asking for help solving
    the boot order issue I just mentioned it as a problem.

    Here is the question that you failed to answer.

    Does anyone have a theory as to what will happen if I boot then
    power the eSATA drive drive up after I've logged in to my desktop?
    I'm a bit leary to try this until I can get some opinions.

    See how the question matches the below Subject Line:

    "eSATA hotplug on 2.6.20-16-generic"

    May I suggest that in the future you have some integrity when you answer
    questions from those that don't know as much as you do (me) instead of
    arguing semantics and trying to poke fun.

  20. Re: eSATA hotplug on 2.6.20-16-generic

    On Wed, 02 Jan 2008 18:59:34 +0000, NoStop wrote:

    > Meat Plow wrote:

    >>> Wrong. Acronis True Image (run from the rescue cd) does clone the MBR.
    >>>
    >>> Cheers.

    >> Well there is a popup that warns that since it's cloned a linux partiton
    >> to have your linux boot cd handy. I forget what the exact message was
    >> but when I booted the drive only XP would boot. There was no Grub menu. I
    >> restored that using the Grub Super Bootdisc.
    >>
    >> So by my description, what was missing?

    > The popup is a false warning and I have *never* had a problem cloning drives
    > (Linux drives) with TrueImage. The MBR is ALWAYS preserved. I've been doing
    > this for a number of years now. Latest version of TI that I use is v9. I'm
    > guessing the your problem with booting the cloned drive is precisely
    > because the MBR that was written on the cloned drive came from the source
    > drive.
    >
    > Cheers.

    Sorry you are correct. I've forgotten that the MBR was on a separate 160
    gig drive that had XP only on it. This PC came with XP on the 160. I added
    the 200 gig drive which also had XP on it from a test of Acronis Migrate
    Easy I did. I booted the Kubunu 6.10 CD, decided that everything worked
    and installed it on the 200 gig after resizing the NTFS partition not
    wanting to risk the install of XP on the 160 from linux resizing the NTFS
    partition. The MBR was installed on the 160 drive however.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast