eSATA hotplug on 2.6.20-16-generic - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on eSATA hotplug on 2.6.20-16-generic - Ubuntu ; On Wed, 02 Jan 2008 20:07:31 +0100, Hadron wrote: > NoStop writes: > >> Meat Plow wrote: >> >>> On Wed, 02 Jan 2008 02:57:43 +0100, Hadron wrote: >>> >>>> Meat Plow writes: >>>> >>>>> On Wed, 02 Jan 2008 ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 27 of 27

  1. Re: eSATA hotplug on 2.6.20-16-generic

    On Wed, 02 Jan 2008 20:07:31 +0100, Hadron wrote:

    > NoStop writes:
    >
    >> Meat Plow wrote:

    >>> I took it for granted that you would understand that the drives are
    >>> clones. Besides giving a detail description I just finished up a thread
    >>> concerning Acronis where I gave even more detailed description regarding
    >>> these drives. If you didn't understand that's your fault, not mine.

    >>> The internal /once again/ is a clone of the 200 gig. Acronis does not
    >>> clone the linux boot record so they claim. I installed it on the internal
    >>> drive.
    >>>

    >> Wrong. Acronis True Image (run from the rescue cd) does clone the MBR.
    >>
    >> Cheers.

    > Which makes his information even more dubious. It sounds like he
    > manually installed the boot loader in the internal and screwed it
    > up.

    You're wrong as explained in the reply to NoStop. You'd do well to
    discontinue the pejorative connotations and climb down from that Ivory
    Tower you're perched yourself atop.

  2. Re: eSATA hotplug on 2.6.20-16-generic

    In alt.os.linux Hadron wrote:
    > It's not just me is it?

    **** no!
    It sure as hell ain't. :/

    What is it about this newsgroup that draws-in-people that want
    -free help- and insult and act impatient with the helpers?

    Hadron, you did all you could do.

    Let him return humble and patient or totally ignore any future
    posts. ...it reads just like a troll.

    Alvin in AZ (second dumbest guy on a.o.l
    ps- google translate is pretty cool

  3. Re: eSATA hotplug on 2.6.20-16-generic

    alvinj@Example.com writes:

    > In alt.os.linux Hadron wrote:
    >> It's not just me is it?

    > **** no!
    > It sure as hell ain't. :/
    >
    > What is it about this newsgroup that draws-in-people that want
    > -free help- and insult and act impatient with the helpers?
    >
    > Hadron, you did all you could do.
    >
    > Let him return humble and patient or totally ignore any future
    > posts. ...it reads just like a troll.
    >
    > Alvin in AZ (second dumbest guy on a.o.l
    > ps- google translate is pretty cool

    I was kind of referring to the "what OS do you use" question. He had
    said Linux and this is in a Linux newsgroup. The issue of the "marked
    active" partition in conjunction with Grub we can graciously ignore.

  4. Re: eSATA hotplug on 2.6.20-16-generic

    On Wed, 02 Jan 2008 12:46:58 -0500
    Meat Plow wrote:

    > > Wrong. Acronis True Image (run from the rescue cd) does clone the MBR.
    > >
    > > Cheers.

    > Well there is a popup that warns that since it's cloned a linux partiton
    > to have your linux boot cd handy. I forget what the exact message was
    > but when I booted the drive only XP would boot. There was no Grub menu. I
    > restored that using the Grub Super Bootdisc.
    >
    > So by my description, what was missing?

    Probably that Acronis is uncertain that you would pop the disk back
    into a machine as the same disk, e.g. The source is /dev/sda1 but the
    clone is /dev/sdb1, Grub points to /dev/sda1 but where will the newly
    cloned disk be when you want to boot from it?

    --
    Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

  5. Re: eSATA hotplug on 2.6.20-16-generic

    On Thu, 03 Jan 2008 07:11:56 +0100, Hadron wrote:

    > alvinj@Example.com writes:
    >
    >> In alt.os.linux Hadron wrote:
    >>> It's not just me is it?

    >> **** no!
    >> It sure as hell ain't. :/
    >>
    >> What is it about this newsgroup that draws-in-people that want
    >> -free help- and insult and act impatient with the helpers?
    >>
    >> Hadron, you did all you could do.
    >>
    >> Let him return humble and patient or totally ignore any future
    >> posts. ...it reads just like a troll.
    >>
    >> Alvin in AZ (second dumbest guy on a.o.l
    >> ps- google translate is pretty cool

    Another pompous idiot enters the thread.

    > I was kind of referring to the "what OS do you use" question. He had
    > said Linux and this is in a Linux newsgroup. The issue of the "marked
    > active" partition in conjunction with Grub we can graciously ignore.

    I had dropped the thread but here you are once again pontificating for
    what reason? Are you so bored that you have to beat a dead horse?

  6. Re: eSATA hotplug on 2.6.20-16-generic

    On Thu, 03 Jan 2008 13:42:41 +0000, Trevor Best wrote:

    > On Wed, 02 Jan 2008 12:46:58 -0500
    > Meat Plow wrote:
    >
    >> > Wrong. Acronis True Image (run from the rescue cd) does clone the MBR.
    >> >
    >> > Cheers.

    >> Well there is a popup that warns that since it's cloned a linux partiton
    >> to have your linux boot cd handy. I forget what the exact message was
    >> but when I booted the drive only XP would boot. There was no Grub menu. I
    >> restored that using the Grub Super Bootdisc.
    >>
    >> So by my description, what was missing?

    > Probably that Acronis is uncertain that you would pop the disk back
    > into a machine as the same disk, e.g. The source is /dev/sda1 but the
    > clone is /dev/sdb1, Grub points to /dev/sda1 but where will the newly
    > cloned disk be when you want to boot from it?

    Thanks. I got it figured out. I have a better understanding of what's
    going on now having some hands on experience.

  7. Re: eSATA hotplug on 2.6.20-16-generic

    In alt.os.linux Meat Plow wrote:
    > >> Alvin in AZ (second dumbest guy on a.o.l

    > Another pompous idiot enters the thread.

    As you talk to the second dumbest guy on a.o.l, anonymously.

    > I had dropped the thread but here you are once again pontificating
    > for what reason?

    As you feel the need for the final word?

    > Are you so bored that you have to beat a dead horse?

    It's dead in my eyes, when I decide it's dead, not when you decide.

    I'm not your follower.

    Alvin in AZ (the third dumest guy on a.o.l?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2