Ext2fsd - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Ext2fsd - Ubuntu ; Happy New Year! I access my Vista every so often for the few programs I use on there and heard about Ext2fsd in order to access my files on my Linux partition. I just wanted to ask if anyone has ...

  1. Ext2fsd

    Happy New Year!

    I access my Vista every so often for the few programs I use on there and
    heard about Ext2fsd in order to access my files on my Linux partition. I
    just wanted to ask if anyone has used this before and if it was safe to
    use? I read mixed reviews online but am not sure what to make of them. I
    know it's not wise to write into the Linux partition from Windows, which I
    don't want to do, but merely accessing the files isn't going to mess
    anything up will it?

    Thanks!

    John-Mike

  2. Re: Ext2fsd

    John-Mike schreef:
    > Happy New Year!
    >
    > I access my Vista every so often for the few programs I use on there and
    > heard about Ext2fsd in order to access my files on my Linux partition. I
    > just wanted to ask if anyone has used this before and if it was safe to
    > use? I read mixed reviews online but am not sure what to make of them. I
    > know it's not wise to write into the Linux partition from Windows, which I
    > don't want to do, but merely accessing the files isn't going to mess
    > anything up will it?
    >
    > Thanks!
    >
    > John-Mike

    I have used this application quite a bit from Win-XP and it never caused
    problems on the ext3 drive.
    I have heard you should not edit archived files on ext2/3 from Windows
    but have no such experience.
    Just reading from it is never a problem.

    When the ext2/3 drive has a damaged file system you cannot mount it in
    Windows until you run an fscheck on it from Linux.

    I have tried installing it on a Vista machine but it (likely I) failed,
    yet there are reports it's possible.

  3. Re: Ext2fsd

    John-Mike wrote:
    > Happy New Year!
    >
    > I access my Vista every so often for the few programs I use on there and
    > heard about Ext2fsd in order to access my files on my Linux partition. I
    > just wanted to ask if anyone has used this before and if it was safe to
    > use? I read mixed reviews online but am not sure what to make of them. I
    > know it's not wise to write into the Linux partition from Windows, which I
    > don't want to do, but merely accessing the files isn't going to mess
    > anything up will it?

    Instead of doing that I use an external USB drive and treat it as a file
    server. All files that can be of use for both operating systems go
    there. That way you can read/write/delete files from both OS's. The only
    drawback is that the file system on the USB must be FAT32. Which has a
    maximum file size limit of 2GB. This limitation has never been a problem
    for me though.

    --
    artix
    http://www.abstractart.ws _Abstract Art Directory_

  4. Re: Ext2fsd

    artix schreef:

    > The only
    > drawback is that the file system on the USB must be FAT32. Which has a
    > maximum file size limit of 2GB.

    FAT32 handles up to 4GB.
    > This limitation has never been a problem
    > for me though.

  5. Re: Ext2fsd

    artix wrote:

    > John-Mike wrote:
    >> Happy New Year!
    >>
    >> I access my Vista every so often for the few programs I use on there and
    >> heard about Ext2fsd in order to access my files on my Linux partition. I
    >> just wanted to ask if anyone has used this before and if it was safe to
    >> use? I read mixed reviews online but am not sure what to make of them.
    >> I know it's not wise to write into the Linux partition from Windows,
    >> which I don't want to do, but merely accessing the files isn't going to
    >> mess anything up will it?

    > Instead of doing that I use an external USB drive and treat it as a file
    > server. All files that can be of use for both operating systems go
    > there. That way you can read/write/delete files from both OS's. The only
    > drawback is that the file system on the USB must be FAT32. Which has a
    > maximum file size limit of 2GB. This limitation has never been a problem
    > for me though.

    Why must the filesystem on that USB external drive be FAT32? Ubuntu can now
    r/w to NTFS filesystems. BTW, the limitation on FAT32 file sizes is 4GB not
    2GB.

    Cheers.

    --
    Boot It Up!