Boot sequence not what I was expecting - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Boot sequence not what I was expecting - Ubuntu ; Hi all. A while back I asked how to change the boot sequence to XP instead of Ubuntu. ste parker gave a good indication in his reply of what I was supposed to do so I looked at the file ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 24

  1. Boot sequence not what I was expecting

    Hi all.
    A while back I asked how to change the boot sequence to XP instead of
    Ubuntu. ste parker gave a good indication in his reply of what I was
    supposed to do so I looked at the file and saw that I have the following...

    title Ubuntu 7.10, kernel 2.6.22-14-generic
    root (hd2,0)
    kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.22-14-generic
    root=UUID=ac2e3587-41f3-4486-b41e-5ace7e62f1d6 ro quiet splash
    initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.22-14-generic
    quiet

    title Ubuntu 7.10, kernel 2.6.22-14-generic (recovery mode)
    root (hd2,0)
    kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.22-14-generic
    root=UUID=ac2e3587-41f3-4486-b41e-5ace7e62f1d6 ro single
    initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.22-14-generic

    title Ubuntu 7.10, memtest86+
    root (hd2,0)
    kernel /boot/memtest86+.bin
    quiet

    ### END DEBIAN AUTOMAGIC KERNELS LIST

    # This is a divider, added to separate the menu items below from the Debian
    # ones.
    title Other operating systems:
    root

    # This entry automatically added by the Debian installer for a non-linux OS
    # on /dev/hda1
    title Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
    root (hd0,0)
    savedefault
    makeactive
    chainloader +1

    What needs to change to allow XP to boot first as the original suggestion
    has not been implemented because I can see "saveddefault" already in the
    Windoze section as suggested, alog with some more text I don't understand
    why is there.

    Cheers in advance and HNY to all...

  2. Re: Boot sequence not what I was expecting

    On Tue, 1 Jan 2008 13:36:13 -0000
    "R" wrote:

    > Hi all.
    > A while back I asked how to change the boot sequence to XP instead of
    > Ubuntu. ste parker gave a good indication in his reply of what I was
    > supposed to do so I looked at the file and saw that I have the following...

    default 3

    --
    Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

  3. Re: Boot sequence not what I was expecting

    On Tue, 01 Jan 2008 13:36:13 +0000, R wrote:

    > Hi all.
    > A while back I asked how to change the boot sequence to XP instead of
    > Ubuntu. ste parker gave a good indication in his reply of what I was
    > supposed to do so I looked at the file and saw that I have the following...
    >
    > title Ubuntu 7.10, kernel 2.6.22-14-generic
    > root (hd2,0)
    > kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.22-14-generic
    > root=UUID=ac2e3587-41f3-4486-b41e-5ace7e62f1d6 ro quiet splash
    > initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.22-14-generic
    > quiet
    >
    > title Ubuntu 7.10, kernel 2.6.22-14-generic (recovery mode)
    > root (hd2,0)
    > kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.22-14-generic
    > root=UUID=ac2e3587-41f3-4486-b41e-5ace7e62f1d6 ro single
    > initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.22-14-generic
    >
    > title Ubuntu 7.10, memtest86+
    > root (hd2,0)
    > kernel /boot/memtest86+.bin
    > quiet
    >
    > ### END DEBIAN AUTOMAGIC KERNELS LIST
    >
    > # This is a divider, added to separate the menu items below from the Debian
    > # ones.
    > title Other operating systems:
    > root
    >

    > # This entry automatically added by the Debian installer for a non-linux OS
    > # on /dev/hda1
    > title Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
    > root (hd0,0)
    > savedefault
    > makeactive
    > chainloader +1
    >
    > What needs to change to allow XP to boot first as the original suggestion
    > has not been implemented because I can see "saveddefault" already in the
    > Windoze section as suggested, alog with some more text I don't understand
    > why is there.
    >
    > Cheers in advance and HNY to all...

    Assumint those are all the entries - near the top of /boot/grub/menu.lst
    you will find a line, probably

    ##default num

    change that to

    default 3

    grub is zero based.

  4. Re: Boot sequence not what I was expecting

    On Tue, 01 Jan 2008 13:36:13 +0000, R wrote:

    > Hi all.
    > A while back I asked how to change the boot sequence to XP instead of
    > Ubuntu. ste parker gave a good indication in his reply of what I was
    > supposed to do so I looked at the file and saw that I have the following...
    >
    > title Ubuntu 7.10, kernel 2.6.22-14-generic
    > root (hd2,0)
    > kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.22-14-generic
    > root=UUID=ac2e3587-41f3-4486-b41e-5ace7e62f1d6 ro quiet splash
    > initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.22-14-generic
    > quiet
    >
    > title Ubuntu 7.10, kernel 2.6.22-14-generic (recovery mode)
    > root (hd2,0)
    > kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.22-14-generic
    > root=UUID=ac2e3587-41f3-4486-b41e-5ace7e62f1d6 ro single
    > initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.22-14-generic
    >
    > title Ubuntu 7.10, memtest86+
    > root (hd2,0)
    > kernel /boot/memtest86+.bin
    > quiet
    >
    > ### END DEBIAN AUTOMAGIC KERNELS LIST
    >
    > # This is a divider, added to separate the menu items below from the Debian
    > # ones.
    > title Other operating systems:
    > root
    >

    > # This entry automatically added by the Debian installer for a non-linux OS
    > # on /dev/hda1
    > title Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
    > root (hd0,0)
    > savedefault
    > makeactive
    > chainloader +1
    >
    > What needs to change to allow XP to boot first as the original suggestion
    > has not been implemented because I can see "saveddefault" already in the
    > Windoze section as suggested, alog with some more text I don't understand
    > why is there.
    >
    > Cheers in advance and HNY to all...

    Have a look here and see if this answers your question;

    http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/ins...-sequence.html

  5. Re: Boot sequence not what I was expecting

    On 2008-01-01, Trevor Best wrote:
    > On Tue, 1 Jan 2008 13:36:13 -0000
    > "R" wrote:
    >
    >> Hi all.
    >> A while back I asked how to change the boot sequence to XP instead of
    >> Ubuntu. ste parker gave a good indication in his reply of what I was
    >> supposed to do so I looked at the file and saw that I have the following...

    > default 3

    I would have said
    default 4
    cos the XP entry is the 5th uncommented stanza beginning with "title"

    >> title Ubuntu 7.10, kernel 2.6.22-14-generic
    >> root (hd2,0)
    >> kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.22-14-generic
    >> root=UUID=ac2e3587-41f3-4486-b41e-5ace7e62f1d6 ro quiet splash
    >> initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.22-14-generic
    >> quiet
    >>
    >> title Ubuntu 7.10, kernel 2.6.22-14-generic (recovery mode)
    >> root (hd2,0)
    >> kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.22-14-generic
    >> root=UUID=ac2e3587-41f3-4486-b41e-5ace7e62f1d6 ro single
    >> initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.22-14-generic
    >>
    >> title Ubuntu 7.10, memtest86+
    >> root (hd2,0)
    >> kernel /boot/memtest86+.bin
    >> quiet
    >>
    >> ### END DEBIAN AUTOMAGIC KERNELS LIST
    >>
    >> # This is a divider, added to separate the menu items below from the Debian
    >> # ones.
    >> title Other operating systems:
    >> root
    >>

    >> # This entry automatically added by the Debian installer for a non-linux OS
    >> # on /dev/hda1
    >> title Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
    >> root (hd0,0)
    >> savedefault
    >> makeactive
    >> chainloader +1
    >>
    >> What needs to change to allow XP to boot first as the original suggestion
    >> has not been implemented because I can see "saveddefault" already in the
    >> Windoze section as suggested, alog with some more text I don't understand
    >> why is there.
    >>
    >> Cheers in advance and HNY to all...

    --
    l'air du temps

  6. Re: Boot sequence not what I was expecting

    jane doa wrote:
    > On 2008-01-01, Trevor Best wrote:
    >> On Tue, 1 Jan 2008 13:36:13 -0000
    >> "R" wrote:
    >>
    >>> Hi all.
    >>> A while back I asked how to change the boot sequence to XP instead of
    >>> Ubuntu. ste parker gave a good indication in his reply of what I was
    >>> supposed to do so I looked at the file and saw that I have the following...

    >> default 3

    > I would have said
    > default 4

    You would be wrong

    > cos the XP entry is the 5th uncommented stanza beginning with "title"

    counting starts at zero

    so it would be

    default 4

    0 >>> title Ubuntu 7.10, kernel 2.6.22-14-generic
    >>> root (hd2,0)
    >>> kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.22-14-generic
    >>> root=UUID=ac2e3587-41f3-4486-b41e-5ace7e62f1d6 ro quiet splash
    >>> initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.22-14-generic
    >>> quiet

    1 >>> title Ubuntu 7.10, kernel 2.6.22-14-generic (recovery mode)
    >>> root (hd2,0)
    >>> kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.22-14-generic
    >>> root=UUID=ac2e3587-41f3-4486-b41e-5ace7e62f1d6 ro single
    >>> initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.22-14-generic

    2 >>> title Ubuntu 7.10, memtest86+
    >>> root (hd2,0)
    >>> kernel /boot/memtest86+.bin
    >>> quiet
    >>>
    >>> ### END DEBIAN AUTOMAGIC KERNELS LIST
    >>>
    >>> # This is a divider, added to separate the menu items below from

    the Debian
    >>> # ones.

    3 >>> title Other operating systems:
    >>> root
    >>>

    >>> # This entry automatically added by the Debian installer for a

    non-linux OS
    >>> # on /dev/hda1

    4 >>> title Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
    >>> root (hd0,0)
    >>> savedefault
    >>> makeactive
    >>> chainloader +1
    >>>
    >>> What needs to change to allow XP to boot first as the original suggestion
    >>> has not been implemented because I can see "saveddefault" already in the
    >>> Windoze section as suggested, alog with some more text I don't understand
    >>> why is there.
    >>>
    >>> Cheers in advance and HNY to all...

  7. Re: Boot sequence not what I was expecting...FOLLOW UP

    "R" wrote in message news:84adnYwsN7hR3OfanZ2dnUVZ8qeknZ2d@bt.com...
    > Hi all.
    > A while back I asked how to change the boot sequence to XP instead of
    > Ubuntu. ste parker gave a good indication in his reply of what I was
    > supposed to do so I looked at the file and saw that I have the
    > following...

    At the top I have
    ## default num
    # Set the default entry to the entry number NUM. Numbering starts from 0,
    and
    # the entry number 0 is the default if the command is not used.
    #
    # You can specify 'saved' instead of a number. In this case, the default
    entry
    # is the entry saved with the command 'savedefault'.
    # WARNING: If you are using dmraid do not use 'savedefault' or your
    # array will desync and will not let you boot your system.
    default 0

    Therefore do I change the default tyo 3 or 4 as there was conflicting
    suggestions.

    If I get it wrong what do I do to correct it at boot?

    Is it a case of pressing e to edit a line at boot?

  8. Re: Boot sequence not what I was expecting...FOLLOW UP

    "R" wrote:

    > "R" wrote in message
    >> Hi all.
    >> A while back I asked how to change the boot sequence to XP instead of
    >> Ubuntu. ste parker gave a good indication in his reply of what I was
    >> supposed to do so I looked at the file and saw that I have the
    >> following...

    > At the top I have
    > ## default num
    > # Set the default entry to the entry number NUM. Numbering starts from 0,
    > and
    > # the entry number 0 is the default if the command is not used.
    > #
    > # You can specify 'saved' instead of a number. In this case, the default
    > entry
    > # is the entry saved with the command 'savedefault'.
    > # WARNING: If you are using dmraid do not use 'savedefault' or your
    > # array will desync and will not let you boot your system.
    > default 0
    >
    > Therefore do I change the default tyo 3 or 4 as there was conflicting
    > suggestions.
    >

    > If I get it wrong what do I do to correct it at boot?
    >
    > Is it a case of pressing e to edit a line at boot?

    The default chooses what to open without user intervention. But you can
    always select to boot something else if you do it quickly, under 5 secs.

    The correct one in your case to boot XP as the default is 3.

    Cheers.

    --
    Boot It Up!
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=-kql8cWqiv8

  9. Re: Boot sequence not what I was expecting

    On Wed, 2 Jan 2008 04:21:38 +1100
    jane doa wrote:

    > On 2008-01-01, Trevor Best wrote:
    > > On Tue, 1 Jan 2008 13:36:13 -0000
    > > "R" wrote:
    > >
    > >> Hi all.
    > >> A while back I asked how to change the boot sequence to XP instead of
    > >> Ubuntu. ste parker gave a good indication in his reply of what I was
    > >> supposed to do so I looked at the file and saw that I have the following...

    > > default 3

    > I would have said
    > default 4
    > cos the XP entry is the 5th uncommented stanza beginning with "title"

    I didn't think the divider counted, I have such configuration on my
    laptop, I'll check...
    (insert pause here)

    You're right, I have the same list as the OP (except for a different
    version of Windows) and it's indeed 4.

    --
    Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

  10. Re: Boot sequence not what I was expecting

    On Tue, 01 Jan 2008 17:49:01 GMT
    Ram wrote:

    > jane doa wrote:

    [snip]
    > > I would have said
    > > default 4

    > You would be wrong

    [snip
    > so it would be
    >
    > default 4

    Your 4 is different to jane's 4 then? :-)

    --
    Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

  11. Re: Boot sequence not what I was expecting

    Trevor Best wrote:
    > On Tue, 01 Jan 2008 17:49:01 GMT
    > Ram wrote:
    >
    >> jane doa wrote:

    > [snip]
    >>> I would have said
    >>> default 4

    >> You would be wrong

    > [snip
    >> so it would be
    >>
    >> default 4

    > Your 4 is different to jane's 4 then? :-)

    Doh! sure I read 5...

    Homer

  12. Re: Boot sequence not what I was expecting...FOLLOW UP

    NoStop wrote:
    > "R" wrote:
    >
    >> "R" wrote in message
    >>> Hi all.
    >>> A while back I asked how to change the boot sequence to XP instead of
    >>> Ubuntu. ste parker gave a good indication in his reply of what I was
    >>> supposed to do so I looked at the file and saw that I have the
    >>> following...

    >> At the top I have
    >> ## default num
    >> # Set the default entry to the entry number NUM. Numbering starts from 0,
    >> and
    >> # the entry number 0 is the default if the command is not used.
    >> #
    >> # You can specify 'saved' instead of a number. In this case, the default
    >> entry
    >> # is the entry saved with the command 'savedefault'.
    >> # WARNING: If you are using dmraid do not use 'savedefault' or your
    >> # array will desync and will not let you boot your system.
    >> default 0
    >>
    >> Therefore do I change the default tyo 3 or 4 as there was conflicting
    >> suggestions.
    >>

    >> If I get it wrong what do I do to correct it at boot?
    >>
    >> Is it a case of pressing e to edit a line at boot?

    > The default chooses what to open without user intervention. But you can
    > always select to boot something else if you do it quickly, under 5 secs.
    >
    > The correct one in your case to boot XP as the default is 3.
    >
    > Cheers.

    Should that not be 4, 3 would just sit there doing nothing.

    Rs 5th title is " title Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition"

    Ram

  13. Re: Boot sequence not what I was expecting...FOLLOW UP

    Ram wrote:

    > NoStop wrote:
    >> "R" wrote:
    >>
    >>> "R" wrote in message
    >>>

    >>> At the top I have
    >>> ## default num
    >>> # Set the default entry to the entry number NUM. Numbering starts from
    >>> # 0,
    >>> and
    >>> # the entry number 0 is the default if the command is not used.
    >>> #
    >>> # You can specify 'saved' instead of a number. In this case, the default
    >>> entry
    >>> # is the entry saved with the command 'savedefault'.
    >>> # WARNING: If you are using dmraid do not use 'savedefault' or your
    >>> # array will desync and will not let you boot your system.
    >>> default 0
    >>>
    >>> Therefore do I change the default tyo 3 or 4 as there was conflicting
    >>> suggestions.
    >>>

    >>> If I get it wrong what do I do to correct it at boot?
    >>>
    >>> Is it a case of pressing e to edit a line at boot?

    >> The default chooses what to open without user intervention. But you can
    >> always select to boot something else if you do it quickly, under 5 secs.
    >>
    >> The correct one in your case to boot XP as the default is 3.
    >>
    >> Cheers.
    >>

    > Should that not be 4, 3 would just sit there doing nothing.
    >
    > Rs 5th title is " title Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition"
    >
    > Ram

    Read it again.

    Cheers.

    --
    Boot It Up!
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=-kql8cWqiv8

  14. Re: Boot sequence not what I was expecting...FOLLOW UP

    NoStop wrote:
    > Ram wrote:
    >
    >> NoStop wrote:

    >>> The default chooses what to open without user intervention. But you can
    >>> always select to boot something else if you do it quickly, under 5 secs.
    >>>
    >>> The correct one in your case to boot XP as the default is 3.
    >>>
    >>> Cheers.
    >>>

    >> Should that not be 4, 3 would just sit there doing nothing.
    >>
    >> Rs 5th title is " title Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition"
    >>
    >> Ram

    > Read it again.
    >
    > Cheers.

    Am afraid you'll have to point it out. This how I see it from the OP

    title Ubuntu 7.10, kernel 2.6.22-14-generic <-----Default - 0

    title Ubuntu 7.10, kernel 2.6.22-14-generic (recovery mode) <------- 1

    title Ubuntu 7.10, memtest86+ <------------------------------------ 2

    title Other operating systems: <--------------------------------- 3
    root

    # This entry automatically added by the Debian installer for a non-linux OS
    # on /dev/hda1
    title Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition < ------------------------ 4
    root (hd0,0)
    savedefault
    makeactive
    chainloader +1

    Ram

  15. Re: Boot sequence not what I was expecting...FOLLOW UP....More

    "Ram" wrote in message
    > NoStop wrote:
    >> Ram wrote:

    >>> Should that not be 4, 3 would just sit there doing nothing.
    >>>
    >>> Rs 5th title is " title Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition"
    >>>
    >>> Ram

    >> Read it again.
    >>
    >> Cheers.
    >>

    > Am afraid you'll have to point it out. This how I see it from the OP
    >
    > title Ubuntu 7.10, kernel 2.6.22-14-generic <-----Default - 0
    > root (hd2,0)
    > kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.22-14-generic
    > root=UUID=ac2e3587-41f3-4486-b41e-5ace7e62f1d6 ro quiet splash
    > initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.22-14-generic
    > quiet
    >
    > title Ubuntu 7.10, kernel 2.6.22-14-generic (recovery mode) <------- 1
    > root (hd2,0)
    > kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.22-14-generic
    > root=UUID=ac2e3587-41f3-4486-b41e-5ace7e62f1d6 ro single
    > initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.22-14-generic
    >
    > title Ubuntu 7.10, memtest86+ <------------------------------------ 2
    > root (hd2,0)
    > kernel /boot/memtest86+.bin
    > quiet
    >
    > ### END DEBIAN AUTOMAGIC KERNELS LIST
    >
    > # This is a divider, added to separate the menu items below from the
    > Debian
    > # ones.
    > title Other operating systems: <--------------------------------- 3
    > root
    >

    > # This entry automatically added by the Debian installer for a non-linux
    > OS
    > # on /dev/hda1
    > title Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition < ------------------------ 4
    > root (hd0,0)
    > savedefault
    > makeactive
    > chainloader +1

    Well there's more evidence of a 4 suggested than a 3, so maybe I will go for
    that.
    Gawd help me if it all goes tits up tho.......

  16. Re: Boot sequence not what I was expecting...FOLLOW UP

    Ram wrote:

    > NoStop wrote:
    >> Ram wrote:

    >>> Should that not be 4, 3 would just sit there doing nothing.
    >>>
    >>> Rs 5th title is " title Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition"
    >>>
    >>> Ram

    >> Read it again.
    >>
    >> Cheers.
    >>

    > Am afraid you'll have to point it out. This how I see it from the OP
    >
    > title Ubuntu 7.10, kernel 2.6.22-14-generic <-----Default - 0
    > root (hd2,0)
    > kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.22-14-generic
    > root=UUID=ac2e3587-41f3-4486-b41e-5ace7e62f1d6 ro quiet splash
    > initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.22-14-generic
    > quiet
    >
    > title Ubuntu 7.10, kernel 2.6.22-14-generic (recovery mode) <------- 1
    > root (hd2,0)
    > kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.22-14-generic
    > root=UUID=ac2e3587-41f3-4486-b41e-5ace7e62f1d6 ro single
    > initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.22-14-generic
    >
    > title Ubuntu 7.10, memtest86+ <------------------------------------ 2
    > root (hd2,0)
    > kernel /boot/memtest86+.bin
    > quiet
    >
    > ### END DEBIAN AUTOMAGIC KERNELS LIST
    >
    > # This is a divider, added to separate the menu items below from the
    > # Debian ones.
    > title Other operating systems: <--------------------------------- 3
    > root

    It's a "divider". See comment.

    > # This entry automatically added by the Debian installer for a non-linux
    > # OS on /dev/hda1
    > title Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition < ------------------------ 4
    > root (hd0,0)
    > savedefault
    > makeactive
    > chainloader +1
    >

    > Ram

    Cheers.

    --
    Boot It Up!
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=-kql8cWqiv8

  17. Re: Boot sequence not what I was expecting...FOLLOW UP....More

    "R" wrote:

    > "Ram" wrote in message
    >> NoStop wrote:

    >>> Read it again.
    >>>
    >>> Cheers.
    >>>

    >> Am afraid you'll have to point it out. This how I see it from the OP
    >>
    >> title Ubuntu 7.10, kernel 2.6.22-14-generic <-----Default - 0
    >> root (hd2,0)
    >> kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.22-14-generic
    >> root=UUID=ac2e3587-41f3-4486-b41e-5ace7e62f1d6 ro quiet splash
    >> initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.22-14-generic
    >> quiet
    >>
    >> title Ubuntu 7.10, kernel 2.6.22-14-generic (recovery mode) <------- 1
    >> root (hd2,0)
    >> kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.22-14-generic
    >> root=UUID=ac2e3587-41f3-4486-b41e-5ace7e62f1d6 ro single
    >> initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.22-14-generic
    >>
    >> title Ubuntu 7.10, memtest86+ <------------------------------------ 2
    >> root (hd2,0)
    >> kernel /boot/memtest86+.bin
    >> quiet
    >>
    >> ### END DEBIAN AUTOMAGIC KERNELS LIST
    >>
    >> # This is a divider, added to separate the menu items below from the
    >> Debian
    >> # ones.
    >> title Other operating systems: <--------------------------------- 3
    >> root
    >>

    >> # This entry automatically added by the Debian installer for a non-linux
    >> OS
    >> # on /dev/hda1
    >> title Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition < ------------------------ 4
    >> root (hd0,0)
    >> savedefault
    >> makeactive
    >> chainloader +1

    > Well there's more evidence of a 4 suggested than a 3, so maybe I will go
    > for that.
    > Gawd help me if it all goes tits up tho.......

    The worst that can happen is that it won't boot if you just let it boot by
    itself without intervention to choose the one you want to boot. That's what
    default is all about. If it fails, reboot your computer and then select the
    os you want to boot from the menu. It isn't rocket science.

    Cheers.

    --
    Boot It Up!
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=-kql8cWqiv8

  18. Re: Boot sequence not what I was expecting...FOLLOW UP

    NoStop wrote:
    > Ram wrote:
    >
    >> NoStop wrote:

    >>> Read it again.
    >>>
    >>> Cheers.
    >>>

    >> Am afraid you'll have to point it out. This how I see it from the OP
    >>
    >> title Ubuntu 7.10, kernel 2.6.22-14-generic <-----Default - 0
    >> root (hd2,0)
    >> kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.22-14-generic
    >> root=UUID=ac2e3587-41f3-4486-b41e-5ace7e62f1d6 ro quiet splash
    >> initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.22-14-generic
    >> quiet
    >>
    >> title Ubuntu 7.10, kernel 2.6.22-14-generic (recovery mode) <------- 1
    >> root (hd2,0)
    >> kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.22-14-generic
    >> root=UUID=ac2e3587-41f3-4486-b41e-5ace7e62f1d6 ro single
    >> initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.22-14-generic
    >>
    >> title Ubuntu 7.10, memtest86+ <------------------------------------ 2
    >> root (hd2,0)
    >> kernel /boot/memtest86+.bin
    >> quiet
    >>
    >> ### END DEBIAN AUTOMAGIC KERNELS LIST
    >>
    >> # This is a divider, added to separate the menu items below from the
    >> # Debian ones.
    >> title Other operating systems: <--------------------------------- 3
    >> root
    >>

    > It's a "divider". See comment.
    >
    >> # This entry automatically added by the Debian installer for a non-linux
    >> # OS on /dev/hda1
    >> title Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition < ------------------------ 4
    >> root (hd0,0)
    >> savedefault
    >> makeactive
    >> chainloader +1
    >>

    >> Ram

    > Cheers.

    And in my experience it gets counted as the actual "title" line is not
    commented out. It did up to 7.04, Don't use grub now to duel boot Gusty
    so can't check with my current setup.

    Ram

  19. Re: Boot sequence not what I was expecting...FOLLOW UP....More

    R wrote:

    > Well there's more evidence of a 4 suggested than a 3, so maybe I will go for
    > that.
    > Gawd help me if it all goes tits up tho.......

    I don't think you specified earlier on, but did you ever have a 'default
    saved' entry? It's up near the start of the file, and explains itself
    in the commented out text. That should work in conjunction with the
    'savedefault', I just checked mine and that's what I use successfully.

    As I may have mentioned before, the reason I use that rather than
    "default x" (where x is the OS you wish to launch based on the sequence
    listed in the file) is because kernel upgrades add themselves to the
    start of the list, meaning x is likely to change whenever that happens -
    that was my experience, anyway.

    --
    [ste]

  20. Re: Boot sequence not what I was expecting...FOLLOW UP

    Ram wrote:

    > NoStop wrote:
    >> Ram wrote:

    >>> Am afraid you'll have to point it out. This how I see it from the OP
    >>>
    >>> title Ubuntu 7.10, kernel 2.6.22-14-generic <-----Default - 0
    >>> root (hd2,0)
    >>> kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.22-14-generic
    >>> root=UUID=ac2e3587-41f3-4486-b41e-5ace7e62f1d6 ro quiet splash
    >>> initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.22-14-generic
    >>> quiet
    >>>
    >>> title Ubuntu 7.10, kernel 2.6.22-14-generic (recovery mode) <------- 1
    >>> root (hd2,0)
    >>> kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.22-14-generic
    >>> root=UUID=ac2e3587-41f3-4486-b41e-5ace7e62f1d6 ro single
    >>> initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.22-14-generic
    >>>
    >>> title Ubuntu 7.10, memtest86+ <------------------------------------ 2
    >>> root (hd2,0)
    >>> kernel /boot/memtest86+.bin
    >>> quiet
    >>>
    >>> ### END DEBIAN AUTOMAGIC KERNELS LIST
    >>>
    >>> # This is a divider, added to separate the menu items below from the
    >>> # Debian ones.
    >>> title Other operating systems: <--------------------------------- 3
    >>> root
    >>>

    >> It's a "divider". See comment.
    >>
    >>> # This entry automatically added by the Debian installer for a non-linux
    >>> # OS on /dev/hda1
    >>> title Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition < ------------------------ 4
    >>> root (hd0,0)
    >>> savedefault
    >>> makeactive
    >>> chainloader +1
    >>>

    >>> Ram

    >> Cheers.
    >>

    > And in my experience it gets counted as the actual "title" line is not
    > commented out. It did up to 7.04, Don't use grub now to duel boot Gusty
    > so can't check with my current setup.
    >
    > Ram

    You could be right. In any case, it's only the default and if he experiences
    problems, it's easy enough to choose what os to boot and go back and fix
    it.

    Cheers.