Disk formats supported by Ubuntu? - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Disk formats supported by Ubuntu? - Ubuntu ; I hope to have a large external drive soon. It will come formated FAT32; is this the best compromise for a drive that I want to be readable and writable from both Windows and Ubuntu? Are there any systems writable ...

+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: Disk formats supported by Ubuntu?

  1. Disk formats supported by Ubuntu?

    I hope to have a large external drive soon. It will come formated
    FAT32; is this the best compromise for a drive that I want to be
    readable and writable from both Windows and Ubuntu? Are there any
    systems writable by both that support files larger than 4GB?

    Does Ubuntu support any encrypted filesystems? Can these be used
    on one partition of a disk with two or more partitions?

    --
    Please reply to: | "One of the hardest parts of my job is to
    pciszek at panix dot com | connect Iraq to the War on Terror."
    Autoreply is disabled | -- G. W. Bush, 9/7/2006

  2. Re: Disk formats supported by Ubuntu?

    On Tue, 01 Jan 2008 06:06:27 +0000, Paul Ciszek wrote:

    > on one partition of a disk with two or more partitions?

    Ubuntu can read write to NTFS.
    FAT32 size is limited as is file copying, so I would suggest NTFS
    formatted by Linux.



    --
    :-)

  3. Re: Disk formats supported by Ubuntu?


    In article <4779dedf$0$11082$4c368faf@roadrunner.com>,
    Holz wrote:
    >On Tue, 01 Jan 2008 06:06:27 +0000, Paul Ciszek wrote:
    >
    >> on one partition of a disk with two or more partitions?

    >Ubuntu can read write to NTFS.


    Natively?


    --
    Please reply to: | "Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is
    pciszek at panix dot com | indistinguishable from malice."
    Autoreply is disabled |

  4. Re: Disk formats supported by Ubuntu?

    On Tue, 01 Jan 2008 06:46:08 +0000, Paul Ciszek wrote:

    > In article <4779dedf$0$11082$4c368faf@roadrunner.com>, Holz
    > wrote:
    >>On Tue, 01 Jan 2008 06:06:27 +0000, Paul Ciszek wrote:
    >>
    >>> on one partition of a disk with two or more partitions?

    >>Ubuntu can read write to NTFS.

    >
    > Natively?


    These days, yes it can. You have to be a little careful though as Ubuntu
    is able to create files with names that windows doesn't like. A filename
    containing "\" or "?" for instance, which is perfectly fine and legal in
    Ext3 isn't in NTFS but it'll create it under NTFS anyway.

    NTFS itself isn't harmed by it (at least I've not had any resulting
    problems), but explorer doesn't like it when you try to access it.

    --
    Stephan
    2003 Yamaha R6

    君の事思い出す日なんてないのは
    君の事忘れたときがないから

  5. Re: Disk formats supported by Ubuntu?

    On Tue, 1 Jan 2008 06:06:27 +0000 (UTC)
    nospam@nospam.com (Paul Ciszek) wrote:

    > I hope to have a large external drive soon. It will come formated
    > FAT32; is this the best compromise for a drive that I want to be
    > readable and writable from both Windows and Ubuntu? Are there any
    > systems writable by both that support files larger than 4GB?
    >
    > Does Ubuntu support any encrypted filesystems? Can these be used
    > on one partition of a disk with two or more partitions?


    As well as NTFS, there are drivers for Windows that allow you to access
    ext2 paritions, I say ext2 as opposed to ext3 as I don't think they do
    the journaling.

    One thing to beware of if using NTFS or FAT derivatives, being case
    insensitive means if you have 2 files "myfile.txt" and
    "MyFile.txt" (i.e. same name but different case) and try to copy them to
    the non-linux filesystem, one will try to overwrite the other.

    --
    Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

  6. Re: Disk formats supported by Ubuntu?

    In <20080101123943.1c79ebc3@voyager> Trevor Best:

    [Snip...]

    > One thing to beware of if using NTFS or FAT derivatives, being case
    > insensitive


    I ran across an interesting (to me) aspect of this recently, using a USB
    flashdisk (FAT32 VLN) purchased recently for backups.

    I created a directory on the flashdisk (all caps) called ARCHIVES, which
    appeared in the directory listing as totally lowercase (archives).

    It was still addressable from Linux as ARCHIVES so I just blew it off as
    more Doze filename lunacy.

    --
    Regards, Weird (Harold Stevens) * IMPORTANT EMAIL INFO FOLLOWS *
    Pardon any bogus email addresses (wookie) in place for spambots.
    Really, it's (wyrd) at airmail, dotted with net. DO NOT SPAM IT.
    Kids jumping ship? Looking to hire an old-school type? Email me.

  7. Re: Disk formats supported by Ubuntu?

    On Tue, 01 Jan 2008 12:39:43 +0000, Trevor Best wrote:

    > On Tue, 1 Jan 2008 06:06:27 +0000 (UTC) nospam@nospam.com (Paul Ciszek)
    > wrote:
    >
    >> I hope to have a large external drive soon. It will come formated
    >> FAT32; is this the best compromise for a drive that I want to be
    >> readable and writable from both Windows and Ubuntu? Are there any
    >> systems writable by both that support files larger than 4GB?
    >>
    >> Does Ubuntu support any encrypted filesystems? Can these be used on
    >> one partition of a disk with two or more partitions?

    >
    > As well as NTFS, there are drivers for Windows that allow you to access
    > ext2 paritions, I say ext2 as opposed to ext3 as I don't think they do
    > the journaling.


    They also don't support UTF-8 file names, and other various issues...

    So far I've yet to find a decent EXT2/3 driver for windows.

    --
    Stephan
    2003 Yamaha R6

    君の事思い出す日なんてないのは
    君の事忘れたときがないから

  8. Re: Disk formats supported by Ubuntu?

    On Tue, 01 Jan 2008 13:05:22 -0000
    Harold Stevens wrote:

    > In <20080101123943.1c79ebc3@voyager> Trevor Best:
    >
    > [Snip...]
    >
    > > One thing to beware of if using NTFS or FAT derivatives, being case
    > > insensitive

    >
    > I ran across an interesting (to me) aspect of this recently, using a USB
    > flashdisk (FAT32 VLN) purchased recently for backups.
    >
    > I created a directory on the flashdisk (all caps) called ARCHIVES, which
    > appeared in the directory listing as totally lowercase (archives).
    >
    > It was still addressable from Linux as ARCHIVES so I just blew it off as
    > more Doze filename lunacy.


    It used to be on FAT that filenames were just converted to upper case
    and it was the command processor shell that also converted all calls to
    upper case. You could, even in QBasic, create a file with a lower case
    letter in the filename. The program would be able to access the file
    but you could not access it from the DOS prompt.

    --
    Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

  9. Re: Disk formats supported by Ubuntu?

    On Tue, 01 Jan 2008 06:06:27 +0000, Paul Ciszek wrote:

    > I hope to have a large external drive soon. It will come formated
    > FAT32; is this the best compromise for a drive that I want to be
    > readable and writable from both Windows and Ubuntu? Are there any
    > systems writable by both that support files larger than 4GB?
    >
    > Does Ubuntu support any encrypted filesystems? Can these be used
    > on one partition of a disk with two or more partitions?


    Several options - Linux read write support for NTFS has matured to the
    point where it is usable (look for ntfs-3g). There are also some utilities
    to allow MS to read some Linux file systems - I believe there is one for
    ext2/3 - I don't know if it writes, as well.


  10. Re: Disk formats supported by Ubuntu?


    In article <8fydnUelUPYshufanZ2dnUVZ8uSdnZ2d@giganews.com>,
    Stephan Rose wrote:
    >On Tue, 01 Jan 2008 06:46:08 +0000, Paul Ciszek wrote:
    >
    >> In article <4779dedf$0$11082$4c368faf@roadrunner.com>, Holz
    >> wrote:
    >>>On Tue, 01 Jan 2008 06:06:27 +0000, Paul Ciszek wrote:
    >>>
    >>>> on one partition of a disk with two or more partitions?
    >>>Ubuntu can read write to NTFS.

    >>
    >> Natively?

    >
    >These days, yes it can. You have to be a little careful though as Ubuntu
    >is able to create files with names that windows doesn't like. A filename
    >containing "\" or "?" for instance, which is perfectly fine and legal in
    >Ext3 isn't in NTFS but it'll create it under NTFS anyway.
    >
    >NTFS itself isn't harmed by it (at least I've not had any resulting
    >problems), but explorer doesn't like it when you try to access it.


    So I should format the drive NTFS under Linux, but also I don't want to
    install Ubuntu until I have succeded in porting things over to the big
    external SATA drive for safe-keeping. Will I be able to do the following?

    Boot with the Ubuntu CD
    Format the external drive NTFS using nothing more than the Linux from that CD
    Copy everything from the Linux partitions over
    Reboot in Windows just to verify that the drive is readable from Windows
    Reboot from the Ubuntu CD and install

    --
    Please reply to: | "Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is
    pciszek at panix dot com | indistinguishable from malice."
    Autoreply is disabled |

  11. Re: Disk formats supported by Ubuntu?


    In article ,
    ray wrote:
    >On Tue, 01 Jan 2008 06:06:27 +0000, Paul Ciszek wrote:
    >
    >> I hope to have a large external drive soon. It will come formated
    >> FAT32; is this the best compromise for a drive that I want to be
    >> readable and writable from both Windows and Ubuntu? Are there any
    >> systems writable by both that support files larger than 4GB?
    >>
    >> Does Ubuntu support any encrypted filesystems? Can these be used
    >> on one partition of a disk with two or more partitions?

    >
    >Several options - Linux read write support for NTFS has matured to the
    >point where it is usable (look for ntfs-3g). There are also some utilities
    >to allow MS to read some Linux file systems - I believe there is one for
    >ext2/3 - I don't know if it writes, as well.


    I would just as soon not mess with the workings of Windows.
    The problem of Ubuntu reading and writing Windows drives is
    widespread enough I can hope to get some help with it, so I
    will go that route.

    --
    Please reply to: | "Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is
    pciszek at panix dot com | indistinguishable from malice."
    Autoreply is disabled |

+ Reply to Thread