UPDATE: Acronis and Ubuntu - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on UPDATE: Acronis and Ubuntu - Ubuntu ; Actually the distro is Kubuntu Feisty but what the heck. Used Acronis True Image 11 to clone from 200 gig WD SATA to WD 320 gig SATA. (Nice fast quiet drive with 16 megs of buffer.) The old drive was ...

  1. UPDATE: Acronis and Ubuntu

    Actually the distro is Kubuntu Feisty but what the heck.
    Used Acronis True Image 11 to clone from 200 gig WD SATA
    to WD 320 gig SATA. (Nice fast quiet drive with 16 megs
    of buffer.)

    The old drive was bootable into XP only (no Grub). It has 135 gig NTFS
    partition, 50 gig ext3 and 2.5 gig swap. Linux bootoader via Grub was done
    on a separate 160 gig Seagate SATA drive.

    Allow me to explain what's going on here.

    The cloned 200 gig WD with XP and Feisty was installed in this PC with a
    working 160 gig drive XP install. Since I wanted to dual boot, linux went
    on the 200 gig drive where I resized another working XP install to make
    room for linux. Now that I use linux 99% of the time that 50 gig ext3
    slice is too small and the 200 gig drive is slower and runs too hot.

    Back to the clone.

    The source disk was partitioned 135/50/2.5 NTFS/ext3/swap respectively.
    The target disk after manually resizing partitions with True Image
    11 ended up like this; 100/194/2.5 NTFS/ext3/swap.

    Currently I am posting this message booted into Feisty on the new 320 gig
    drive via the Super Grub Boot CD. I'm contemplating dropping the 160 gig
    drive with Grub on it since I have a bootable XP slice on this 320 gig
    drive. I'll have to put Grub on this 320 gig drive and edit the boot line
    to hd0,1 since this kernel was installed on hd1,1. I don't use XP much so
    the 80 free NTFS gigs is enough for me plus I have external network and
    USB storage.

    Hope anyone reading this understood my Starbuck's caffeine powered rant

  2. Re: UPDATE: Acronis and Ubuntu

    On Mon, 31 Dec 2007 11:08:38 -0500, Meat Plow wrote:

    > Actually the distro is Kubuntu Feisty but what the heck.
    > Used Acronis True Image 11 to clone from 200 gig WD SATA
    > to WD 320 gig SATA. (Nice fast quiet drive with 16 megs
    > of buffer.)
    >
    > The old drive was bootable into XP only (no Grub). It has 135 gig NTFS
    > partition, 50 gig ext3 and 2.5 gig swap. Linux bootoader via Grub was done
    > on a separate 160 gig Seagate SATA drive.
    >
    > Allow me to explain what's going on here.
    >
    > The cloned 200 gig WD with XP and Feisty was installed in this PC with a
    > working 160 gig drive XP install. Since I wanted to dual boot, linux went
    > on the 200 gig drive where I resized another working XP install to make
    > room for linux. Now that I use linux 99% of the time that 50 gig ext3
    > slice is too small and the 200 gig drive is slower and runs too hot.
    >
    > Back to the clone.
    >
    > The source disk was partitioned 135/50/2.5 NTFS/ext3/swap respectively.
    > The target disk after manually resizing partitions with True Image
    > 11 ended up like this; 100/194/2.5 NTFS/ext3/swap.
    >
    > Currently I am posting this message booted into Feisty on the new 320 gig
    > drive via the Super Grub Boot CD. I'm contemplating dropping the 160 gig
    > drive with Grub on it since I have a bootable XP slice on this 320 gig
    > drive. I'll have to put Grub on this 320 gig drive and edit the boot line
    > to hd0,1 since this kernel was installed on hd1,1. I don't use XP much so
    > the 80 free NTFS gigs is enough for me plus I have external network and
    > USB storage.
    >
    > Hope anyone reading this understood my Starbuck's caffeine powered rant

    Correction: Grub WAS installed on the replaced drive previously. Just the
    boot lived on the 160 gig Seagate which has now been done away with and
    the boot installed on the new 320 gig WD using Super Grub Bootdisk and
    manually editing /boot/grub/menu.lst to change hd1,1 to hd0,1 for my
    system now with one hard drive.

  3. Re: UPDATE: Acronis and Ubuntu

    On Mon, 31 Dec 2007 11:08:38 -0500, Meat Plow wrote:

    > Actually the distro is Kubuntu Feisty but what the heck. Used Acronis
    > True Image 11 to clone from 200 gig WD SATA to WD 320 gig SATA. (Nice
    > fast quiet drive with 16 megs of buffer.)

    TrueImage is an amazing product. My wish is that they had a Linux Home
    version with Live Backup like the XP version.

    --
    // This is my opinion.

  4. Re: UPDATE: Acronis and Ubuntu

    On Mon, 31 Dec 2007 19:18:47 +0000, jebblue wrote:

    > On Mon, 31 Dec 2007 11:08:38 -0500, Meat Plow wrote:
    >
    >> Actually the distro is Kubuntu Feisty but what the heck. Used Acronis
    >> True Image 11 to clone from 200 gig WD SATA to WD 320 gig SATA. (Nice
    >> fast quiet drive with 16 megs of buffer.)

    > TrueImage is an amazing product. My wish is that they had a Linux Home
    > version with Live Backup like the XP version.

    I started out with Migrate Easy 7. It worked a year ago cloning a PATA 160
    to a SATA 160. However it didn't like something cloning a SATA 200 to a
    SATA 320 and froze when the clone started. So for $29-US I upgraded to
    True Image 11, a 115 meg download. Installed in XP, made a bootable CD and
    the rest is history. I'll force a fsck on the next reboot to make sure
    the entire file system is cool but it seems fine for now. One little
    booboo I did that I'm almost ashamed to admit was I deleted my menu.lst
    when I went to edit it for a single drive since the kernel previously knew
    the device as hd1,1. There was a copy but I had to change the kernel parms
    in it back to root=UUID=c84c97ef-blahblahblahblah. The copy had
    root=dev/sdb2 or some crap like that so the kernel wouldn't boot. But it
    was a learning experience and I'm sure others have similar stories.

+ Reply to Thread