linux help - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on linux help - Ubuntu ; Hi Since Xmas I now own a Asus Eee PC 4G 701 if like me you had not heard of these then please go here http://www.trustedreviews.com/notebo...e-PC-4G-701/p1 My problem: I like windows XP on my home PC, it suits my needs, ...

  1. linux help

    Hi
    Since Xmas I now own a Asus Eee PC 4G 701 if like me you had not heard of
    these then please go here
    http://www.trustedreviews.com/notebo...e-PC-4G-701/p1

    My problem: I like windows XP on my home PC, it suits my needs, but putting
    it on this lovely little machine would slow it down (the manual that comes
    with the machine says it will run fine and give instructions on how to load
    it, all the drivers are supplied) but I do fancy having some sort of Linux
    on my Eee PC, the one that comes with it is very fast loading, less than 20
    seconds from switch on to being able to use it, it's great, BUT its limited.
    So I was thinking along the lines of Unbuntu or something of that type, with
    a desktop screen etc.
    I have no idea about Linux software, so that's why I need help, the disks
    that come with the PC have XP and Linux drivers, will the Linux drivers work
    with all Linux versions? is Unbuntu a type of Linux?

    the truth is, I need some help deciding on what to install, or even can I
    install it? or is there a better Linux with a nice desktop which would run
    better on this type of PC?

    if you need more info then I would be glad to supply it, I know I have been
    a little vague but basically I want a better OS for this Eee PC

    Thanks

  2. Re: linux help

    On Mon, 31 Dec 2007 12:08:17 +0000, SoundBytes wrote:

    > Hi
    > Since Xmas I now own a Asus Eee PC 4G 701 if like me you had not heard of
    > these then please go here
    > http://www.trustedreviews.com/notebo...e-PC-4G-701/p1
    >
    > My problem: I like windows XP on my home PC, it suits my needs, but putting
    > it on this lovely little machine would slow it down (the manual that comes
    > with the machine says it will run fine and give instructions on how to load
    > it, all the drivers are supplied) but I do fancy having some sort of Linux
    > on my Eee PC, the one that comes with it is very fast loading, less than 20
    > seconds from switch on to being able to use it, it's great, BUT its limited.
    > So I was thinking along the lines of Unbuntu or something of that type, with
    > a desktop screen etc.
    > I have no idea about Linux software, so that's why I need help, the disks
    > that come with the PC have XP and Linux drivers, will the Linux drivers work
    > with all Linux versions? is Unbuntu a type of Linux?

    I doubt that the disks with the pc have linux drivers - they are generally
    included with the Linux distribution (with a few exceptions). Ubuntu is
    one of about 360 active Linux distributions. As I recall, the eeeeeeeee
    comes with a variety of Xandros Linux - a commercial distribution.

    > the truth is, I need some help deciding on what to install, or even can I
    > install it? or is there a better Linux with a nice desktop which would run
    > better on this type of PC?

    I ran across a link to a forum describing how to install Ubuntu on an
    eeeeeeee the other day - but I don't recall where. It may have been in the
    comments area of the latest distrowatch weekly at distrowatch.com.

    > if you need more info then I would be glad to supply it, I know I have been
    > a little vague but basically I want a better OS for this Eee PC
    >
    > Thanks

  3. Re: linux help

    On Mon, 31 Dec 2007 12:08:17 +0000, SoundBytes wrote:

    > Hi
    > Since Xmas I now own a Asus Eee PC 4G 701 if like me you had not heard
    > of
    > these then please go here
    > http://www.trustedreviews.com/notebo...0/30/Asus-Eee-

    PC-4G-701/p1

    > My problem: I like windows XP on my home PC, it suits my needs, but
    > putting it on this lovely little machine would slow it down (the manual
    > that comes with the machine says it will run fine and give instructions
    > on how to load it, all the drivers are supplied) but I do fancy having
    > some sort of Linux on my Eee PC, the one that comes with it is very fast
    > it's great, BUT its limited. So I was thinking along the lines of
    > Unbuntu or something of that type, with a desktop screen etc.
    > I have no idea about Linux software, so that's why I need help, the
    > disks that come with the PC have XP and Linux drivers, will the Linux
    > drivers work with all Linux versions? is Unbuntu a type of Linux?
    >
    > the truth is, I need some help deciding on what to install, or even can
    > I install it? or is there a better Linux with a nice desktop which would
    > run better on this type of PC?
    >
    > if you need more info then I would be glad to supply it, I know I have
    > been a little vague but basically I want a better OS for this Eee PC
    >
    > Thanks

    Here are 2 links that may be of interest:

    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...sus+eee&page=6
    http://forum.eeeuser.com/index.php

  4. Re: linux help

    SoundBytes wrote:
    > Hi
    > Since Xmas I now own a Asus Eee PC 4G 701 if like me you had not heard of
    > these then please go here
    > http://www.trustedreviews.com/notebo...e-PC-4G-701/p1
    >
    > My problem: I like windows XP on my home PC, it suits my needs, but putting
    > it on this lovely little machine would slow it down (the manual that comes
    > with the machine says it will run fine and give instructions on how to load
    > it, all the drivers are supplied) but I do fancy having some sort of Linux
    > on my Eee PC, the one that comes with it is very fast loading, less than 20
    > seconds from switch on to being able to use it, it's great, BUT its limited.
    > So I was thinking along the lines of Unbuntu or something of that type, with
    > a desktop screen etc.

    Good choice for your first experience.

    > I have no idea about Linux software, so that's why I need help, the disks
    > that come with the PC have XP and Linux drivers, will the Linux drivers work
    > with all Linux versions? is Unbuntu a type of Linux?

    Ubuntu is a specific form of Linux. There are other Ubuntu variants as
    well. Linux in general is meant to be used instead of Windows. Unless
    you do something fancy, you can't run them at the same time.

    > the truth is, I need some help deciding on what to install, or even can I
    > install it? or is there a better Linux with a nice desktop which would run
    > better on this type of PC?

    I can't comment on the specific machine. The best response I can give
    you is either it will work or it won't. For the most part I've had very
    good luck putting Linux on my machines (including old G series Power
    Macs). Lately I've been having trouble installing the new Gutsy (it's a
    version code) as well as Fedora 8 (another distribution of Linux). Some
    people just can't get Linux working at all. One would assume bad karma
    in certain cases. My solution is to go back to the Gutsy beta and update
    the software manually (the full update/upgrade breaks the system).

    > if you need more info then I would be glad to supply it, I know I have been
    > a little vague but basically I want a better OS for this Eee PC
    >
    > Thanks

    I would also suggest attending a couple of Linux user group meetings in
    your area (if any). There are many advantages to this.

    Later
    Mike

  5. Re: linux help

    SoundBytes schreef:
    > Hi
    > Since Xmas I now own a Asus Eee PC 4G 701 if like me you had not heard of
    > these then please go here
    > http://www.trustedreviews.com/notebo...e-PC-4G-701/p1
    >
    > My problem: I like windows XP on my home PC, it suits my needs, but putting
    > it on this lovely little machine would slow it down (the manual that comes
    > with the machine says it will run fine and give instructions on how to load
    > it, all the drivers are supplied) but I do fancy having some sort of Linux
    > on my Eee PC, the one that comes with it is very fast loading, less than 20
    > seconds from switch on to being able to use it, it's great, BUT its limited.
    > So I was thinking along the lines of Unbuntu or something of that type, with
    > a desktop screen etc.
    > I have no idea about Linux software, so that's why I need help, the disks
    > that come with the PC have XP and Linux drivers, will the Linux drivers work
    > with all Linux versions? is Unbuntu a type of Linux?
    >
    > the truth is, I need some help deciding on what to install, or even can I
    > install it? or is there a better Linux with a nice desktop which would run
    > better on this type of PC?
    >
    > if you need more info then I would be glad to supply it, I know I have been
    > a little vague but basically I want a better OS for this Eee PC
    >
    > Thanks

    Just today there was a discussion about this machine on
    http://www.slashdot.org
    http://hardware.slashdot.org/article.../12/31/1347228

    There are several people commenting on, and providing links to sites
    with more info on how to use this computer to the fullest.

    One of the nicest tips I saw was that the Bios allows booting from any
    connected device like the USB ports or the card reader.
    This guy has various OS's installed on separate 4or 16GB cards so he can
    boot into any of them.

  6. Re: linux help

    On Mon, 31 Dec 2007 16:21:51 GMT, Robin T Cox wrote:

    > Here are 2 links that may be of interest:
    >
    > http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...sus+eee&page=6
    > http://forum.eeeuser.com/index.php

    This seems to cover the bases:
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/EeePC

    --
    Chris Game

    Lottery: A tax on people who are bad at math.

  7. Re: linux help

    On Mon, 31 Dec 2007 12:08:17 GMT, SoundBytes wrote:

    > if you need more info then I would be glad to supply it, I know I
    > have been a little vague but basically I want a better OS for
    > this Eee PC

    Is that size screen really usable? And what about the limited
    storage - enough for most uses?

    --
    Chris Game

    "The most incomprehensible thing about the world is that
    it is comprehensible." -- Albert Einstein

  8. Re: linux help

    SoundBytes wrote:

    > Hi
    > Since Xmas I now own a Asus Eee PC 4G 701 if like me you had not heard of
    > these then please go here

    http://www.trustedreviews.com/notebo...e-PC-4G-701/p1

    > My problem: I like windows XP on my home PC, it suits my needs, but
    > putting it on this lovely little machine would slow it down (the manual
    > that comes with the machine says it will run fine and give instructions on
    > how to load it, all the drivers are supplied) but I do fancy having some
    > sort of Linux on my Eee PC, the one that comes with it is very fast
    > great, BUT its limited.

    Take a look at PCLinuxOS - the folks there are working on an EEE version at
    the moment. In my experience, PCLinuxOS is an ideal beginners distro, so
    it might be worth waiting and seeing what they have to offer.

    C.

  9. Re: linux help

    In alt.os.linux.ubuntu, SoundBytes had the audacity to say that:

    > Hi
    > Since Xmas I now own a Asus Eee PC 4G 701 if like me you had not heard of
    > these then please go here
    > http://www.trustedreviews.com/notebo...e-PC-4G-701/p1
    >
    > My problem: I like windows XP on my home PC, it suits my needs, but putting
    > it on this lovely little machine would slow it down (the manual that comes
    > with the machine says it will run fine and give instructions on how to load
    > it, all the drivers are supplied) but I do fancy having some sort of Linux
    > on my Eee PC, the one that comes with it is very fast loading, less than 20
    > seconds from switch on to being able to use it, it's great, BUT its limited.
    > So I was thinking along the lines of Unbuntu or something of that type, with
    > a desktop screen etc.
    > I have no idea about Linux software, so that's why I need help, the disks
    > that come with the PC have XP and Linux drivers, will the Linux drivers work
    > with all Linux versions? is Unbuntu a type of Linux?
    >
    > the truth is, I need some help deciding on what to install, or even can I
    > install it? or is there a better Linux with a nice desktop which would run
    > better on this type of PC?
    >
    > if you need more info then I would be glad to supply it, I know I have been
    > a little vague but basically I want a better OS for this Eee PC
    >
    > Thanks

    Don't know the specs of ur machine, but would suspect any of the
    *lightweight* distros would be preferable: Xubuntu (better), Fluxbuntu
    (best). They each have all the drivers (save some multimedia) you would
    need. Mint Xfce comes with the mm drivers preinstalled.

    HTH

    *R* *H*

    --
    AWAKE! FEAR! FIRE! FOES! AWAKE!
    FEAR! FIRE! FOES!

  10. Re: linux help

    On Mon, 31 Dec 2007 12:08:17 +0000, SoundBytes wrote:

    > Since Xmas I now own a Asus Eee PC 4G 701 if like me you had not heard
    > of
    > these then please go here
    > http://www.trustedreviews.com/notebo...0/30/Asus-Eee-

    PC-4G-701/p1

    > [snip]
    >
    > the truth is, I need some help deciding on what to install, or even can
    > I install it? or is there a better Linux with a nice desktop which would
    > run better on this type of PC?
    >
    > if you need more info then I would be glad to supply it, I know I have
    > been a little vague but basically I want a better OS for this Eee PC

    Before you do anything, start here:

    http://www.eeeuser.com/
    http://eeepc.asus.com/global/

    Be aware, that the Eee is NOT designed to be a "do-it-all" general
    notebook. So, don't try to make it do something it's not designed for.
    It has a very specific target user--basically someone with limited
    computer knowledge and skills, who needs a very portable, very intuitive
    to use machine for general email, web, and entertainment. Plus, the OS
    that's on it, a very customized version of Xandros, IIRC, is designed
    specifically for it with custom drivers, libraries, etc. Putting another
    distro on it, which doesn't have these customizations, could just "break"
    the machine, making it inoperable or badly crippling it.

    Stef

  11. Re: linux help

    On Tue, 01 Jan 2008 05:55:00 GMT, Stefan Patric wrote:

    > Be aware, that the Eee is NOT designed to be a "do-it-all" general
    > notebook. So, don't try to make it do something it's not designed for.
    > It has a very specific target user--basically someone with limited
    > computer knowledge and skills, who needs a very portable, very intuitive
    > to use machine for general email, web, and entertainment.

    That's the profile of the typical PC user anyway!

    > Plus, the OS that's on it, a very customized version of Xandros,
    > IIRC, is designed specifically for it with custom drivers,
    > libraries, etc. Putting another distro on it, which doesn't have
    > these customizations, could just "break" the machine, making it
    > inoperable or badly crippling it.

    There are many people who have successfully installed various other
    OSs on that machine, Google for details. Your note is excessively
    negative, it's a great machine at a great price but with limited
    facilities of course. Not much use for playing DVD movies for
    instance!

    --
    Chris Game

    How to report bugs effectively:

  12. Re: linux help

    "Chris Game" wrote in message
    > On Tue, 01 Jan 2008 05:55:00 GMT, Stefan Patric wrote:
    >
    >> Be aware, that the Eee is NOT designed to be a "do-it-all" general
    >> notebook. So, don't try to make it do something it's not designed for.
    >> It has a very specific target user--basically someone with limited
    >> computer knowledge and skills, who needs a very portable, very intuitive
    >> to use machine for general email, web, and entertainment.

    > That's the profile of the typical PC user anyway!
    >
    >> Plus, the OS that's on it, a very customized version of Xandros,
    >> IIRC, is designed specifically for it with custom drivers,
    >> libraries, etc. Putting another distro on it, which doesn't have
    >> these customizations, could just "break" the machine, making it
    >> inoperable or badly crippling it.

    > There are many people who have successfully installed various other
    > OSs on that machine, Google for details. Your note is excessively
    > negative, it's a great machine at a great price but with limited
    > facilities of course. Not much use for playing DVD movies for
    > instance!
    >
    > --
    > Chris Game
    >
    > How to report bugs effectively:
    > http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html

    Hi
    Thanks for all the info you have all supplied, it helped a great deal.

    To be honest the EeePC is brilliant for what I need it for, the screen is
    big enough for most uses, ok you aren't going to play mega games on it, but
    it wasn't meant for that, it's just a great and very handy laptop, up to now
    I have managed to get it to run in advanced mode using one of the links
    supplied by the group, so now it has a nice easy to use desktop, the sound
    is as good as most laptops if not better and the built in webcam is pretty
    good too, to sum up, it's brilliant for my needs, docs, work, daft games and
    a web cam and wifi connection for when working away so I can keep in touch
    with family, its got it all and in a very neat package.

    Once again thank you all for the help and advice, HAPPY NEW YEAR to you all.

    Thanks

    Gordon :-)

  13. Re: linux help

    On 2007-12-31, SoundBytes wrote:
    > Hi
    > Since Xmas I now own a Asus Eee PC 4G 701 if like me you had not heard of
    > these then please go here
    > http://www.trustedreviews.com/notebo...e-PC-4G-701/p1
    >
    > My problem: I like windows XP on my home PC, it suits my needs, but putting
    > it on this lovely little machine would slow it down (the manual that comes
    > with the machine says it will run fine and give instructions on how to load
    > it, all the drivers are supplied) but I do fancy having some sort of Linux
    > on my Eee PC, the one that comes with it is very fast loading, less than 20
    > seconds from switch on to being able to use it, it's great, BUT its limited.
    > So I was thinking along the lines of Unbuntu or something of that type, with
    > a desktop screen etc.
    > I have no idea about Linux software, so that's why I need help, the disks
    > that come with the PC have XP and Linux drivers, will the Linux drivers work
    > with all Linux versions? is Unbuntu a type of Linux?
    >
    > the truth is, I need some help deciding on what to install, or even can I
    > install it? or is there a better Linux with a nice desktop which would run
    > better on this type of PC?
    >
    > if you need more info then I would be glad to supply it, I know I have been
    > a little vague but basically I want a better OS for this Eee PC
    >
    > Thanks

    Since I haven't noticed anybody else mention it, there's always
    eeeXubuntu, which is designed specifically for the eeePC:
    http://eeepc.tumblr.com/post/21408625

    --
    It's a naive, domestic operating system without any breeding, but I
    think you'll be amused by its presumption.

+ Reply to Thread