Folder Preference - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Folder Preference - Ubuntu ; New folders always open with the view set as icons. I prefer lists and would like new folders to open as lists. How do I do this? Thanks in advance. Al...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 33

  1. Folder Preference

    New folders always open with the view set as icons. I prefer lists and
    would like new folders to open as lists. How do I do this?

    Thanks in advance.

    Al

  2. Re: Folder Preference

    Al writes:

    > New folders always open with the view set as icons. I prefer lists and
    > would like new folders to open as lists. How do I do this?
    >
    > Thanks in advance.
    >
    > Al

    What Linux desktop manager are you using? It varies.

    For gnome, edit/preferences/default view doesn't seem too tricky to find.

  3. Re: Folder Preference

    On Sun, 30 Dec 2007 20:26:55 +0000, Al wrote:

    > New folders always open with the view set as icons. I prefer lists and
    > would like new folders to open as lists. How do I do this?

    Ask the person who ties your shoelaces for you in the mornings. They'll
    probably know.

    Friggin amazing how helpless some people are, not even knowing enough to
    look around in the "options/settings" part of the program they would like
    to configure differently. Absolutely beyond belief.

  4. Re: Folder Preference

    On Sun, 30 Dec 2007 16:18:42 -0600, Dan C wrote:

    > On Sun, 30 Dec 2007 20:26:55 +0000, Al wrote:
    >
    >> New folders always open with the view set as icons. I prefer lists and
    >> would like new folders to open as lists. How do I do this?

    > Ask the person who ties your shoelaces for you in the mornings. They'll
    > probably know.

    I asked your mother, but she just drooled on my shoe laces.

    Thanks for your insight.

  5. Re: Folder Preference

    On Sun, 30 Dec 2007 21:48:28 +0100, Hadron wrote:

    > Al writes:
    >
    >> New folders always open with the view set as icons. I prefer lists and
    >> would like new folders to open as lists. How do I do this?
    >>
    >> Thanks in advance.
    >>
    >> Al

    > What Linux desktop manager are you using? It varies.
    >
    > For gnome, edit/preferences/default view doesn't seem too tricky to
    > find.

    I thought it would be under Preferences/Appearances, but it isn't. At
    least winders gives you an option to set the folder views and
    surprisingly, it is easy to find.

    The only thing with the word default in it in preferences pull-down menu
    under "System" is "Default Printer."

    As for the desktop manager I use Gnome.

    I can set the view for each folder as I create it, but I should be able
    to set it as a default.

    Al

  6. Re: Folder Preference

    Al writes:

    > On Sun, 30 Dec 2007 21:48:28 +0100, Hadron wrote:
    >
    >> Al writes:
    >>
    >>> New folders always open with the view set as icons. I prefer lists and
    >>> would like new folders to open as lists. How do I do this?
    >>>
    >>> Thanks in advance.
    >>>
    >>> Al

    >> What Linux desktop manager are you using? It varies.
    >>
    >> For gnome, edit/preferences/default view doesn't seem too tricky to
    >> find.

    > I thought it would be under Preferences/Appearances, but it isn't. At
    > least winders gives you an option to set the folder views and
    > surprisingly, it is easy to find.
    >
    > The only thing with the word default in it in preferences pull-down menu
    > under "System" is "Default Printer."
    >
    > As for the desktop manager I use Gnome.
    >
    > I can set the view for each folder as I create it, but I should be able
    > to set it as a default.
    >
    > Al

    Erm, you can.

    in nautilus file manager 2.18.3

    edit/preferences

    and the first thing you see is "view" and under that "default view".

    Did you read what I wrote above? And what is "winders"? Something you
    use for your OLPC?

  7. Re: Folder Preference

    Den Sun, 30 Dec 2007 20:26:55 +0000 skrev Al:

    > New folders always open with the view set as icons. I prefer lists and
    > would like new folders to open as lists. How do I do this?
    >
    > Thanks in advance.
    >
    > Al

    In gconf-editor press 'CTRL+F', typ 'nautilus' look for
    the string '/app/nautilus/preferences' change
    'default_folder_viewer' from 'icon_view' to 'list_view'.
    Log out and log in again to make it take global effect.

    /Anders

  8. Re: Folder Preference

    On Sun, 30 Dec 2007 20:26:55 +0000, Al wrote:

    > New folders always open with the view set as icons. I prefer lists and
    > would like new folders to open as lists. How do I do this?
    >
    > Thanks in advance.
    >
    > Al

    In Nautilus, Edit | Preferences | Default View.

    --
    // This is my opinion.

  9. Re: Folder Preference

    > Al
    >>

    > Erm, you can.
    >
    > in nautilus file manager 2.18.3
    >
    > edit/preferences
    >
    > and the first thing you see is "view" and under that "default view".

    I did, but I don't know what you're talking about. I'm a neophyte when it
    comes to linux. Where is nautilus file manager? I can't find it in any of
    the pull-down menus.

    > Did you read what I wrote above? And what is "winders"? Something you
    > use for your OLPC?

    That's how some people pronounce "Windows" around here, like in MS
    Winders. It's a joke ;-)

    And so is the OS.

    Al

    Al

  10. Re: Folder Preference

    On Mon, 31 Dec 2007 04:43:40 +0000, jebblue wrote:

    > On Sun, 30 Dec 2007 20:26:55 +0000, Al wrote:
    >
    >> New folders always open with the view set as icons. I prefer lists and
    >> would like new folders to open as lists. How do I do this?
    >>
    >> Thanks in advance.
    >>
    >> Al

    > In Nautilus, Edit | Preferences | Default View.

    OK, Nautilus is not in my pull-down menus. I searched for it using
    "Search for files" and found 160 items with the word Nautilus in them.
    It's sorta like a Google search. Which is the one I want and how do I get
    to it?

    Al

    Al

  11. Re: Folder Preference

    Al wrote:

    > On Mon, 31 Dec 2007 04:43:40 +0000, jebblue wrote:
    >
    >> On Sun, 30 Dec 2007 20:26:55 +0000, Al wrote:
    >>
    >>> New folders always open with the view set as icons. I prefer lists and
    >>> would like new folders to open as lists. How do I do this?
    >>>
    >>> Thanks in advance.
    >>>
    >>> Al

    >> In Nautilus, Edit | Preferences | Default View.

    > OK, Nautilus is not in my pull-down menus. I searched for it using
    > "Search for files" and found 160 items with the word Nautilus in them.
    > It's sorta like a Google search. Which is the one I want and how do I get
    > to it?

    In 7.10 (Gutsy Gibbon) Ubuntu with a Gnome desktop manager:

    Applications > Accessories > File Manager (It's not called 'Nautilus' in the
    menu).

    --
    Steveski

  12. Re: Folder Preference

    Al wrote:
    > On Mon, 31 Dec 2007 04:43:40 +0000, jebblue wrote:
    >
    >> On Sun, 30 Dec 2007 20:26:55 +0000, Al wrote:
    >>
    >>> New folders always open with the view set as icons. I prefer lists and
    >>> would like new folders to open as lists. How do I do this?
    >>>
    >>> Thanks in advance.
    >>>
    >>> Al

    >> In Nautilus, Edit | Preferences | Default View.

    > OK, Nautilus is not in my pull-down menus. I searched for it using
    > "Search for files" and found 160 items with the word Nautilus in them.
    > It's sorta like a Google search. Which is the one I want and how do I get
    > to it?
    >
    > Al
    >
    > Al

    Do you have an icon on the desktop that says "Home"? If so click on it
    and open it. Then go to Help and click on it. Then click on "about". If
    you are using Ubuntu, it should tell you what version of Nautilus.

  13. Re: Folder Preference

    Al writes:

    >> Al
    >>>

    >> Erm, you can.
    >>
    >> in nautilus file manager 2.18.3
    >>
    >> edit/preferences
    >>
    >> and the first thing you see is "view" and under that "default view".
    >>

    > I did, but I don't know what you're talking about. I'm a neophyte when it
    > comes to linux. Where is nautilus file manager? I can't find it in any of
    > the pull-down menus.
    >
    >> Did you read what I wrote above? And what is "winders"? Something you
    >> use for your OLPC?

    > That's how some people pronounce "Windows" around here, like in MS
    > Winders. It's a joke ;-)
    >
    > And so is the OS.
    >
    > Al

    If its such a joke then I would think you were knowledgeable enough to
    use google to help you with what I'm talking about. You seem unwilling
    or unable to utilise the help I have given you. One can lead a horse to
    water but can not make one drink.

    Au revoir.

  14. Re: Folder Preference

    On Mon, 31 Dec 2007 15:01:25 +0000, Al wrote:

    >> in nautilus file manager 2.18.3
    >> edit/preferences
    >> and the first thing you see is "view" and under that "default view".

    > I did, but I don't know what you're talking about. I'm a neophyte when it
    > comes to linux. Where is nautilus file manager? I can't find it in any of
    > the pull-down menus.

    Jesus. Who ties your shoelaces for you in the morning?

    How can you possibly be this helpless? It just boggles the mind. Do you
    have someone reminding you to breathe every few seconds?

  15. Re: Folder Preference

    Al wrote:
    >> Al
    >>>

    >> Erm, you can.
    >>
    >> in nautilus file manager 2.18.3
    >>
    >> edit/preferences
    >>
    >> and the first thing you see is "view" and under that "default view".
    >>

    > I did, but I don't know what you're talking about. I'm a neophyte when it
    > comes to linux. Where is nautilus file manager? I can't find it in any of
    > the pull-down menus.

    The file manager is what you view your folders in, as you did in
    windows. It happens just to be called Nautilus not explorer.

    Then go Edit > Preferences > View new folders using: select the view
    you require from the drop down menu.

    Ram

  16. Re: Folder Preference

    Al wrote:
    >> Al
    >>>

    >> Erm, you can.
    >>
    >> in nautilus file manager 2.18.3
    >>
    >> edit/preferences
    >>
    >> and the first thing you see is "view" and under that "default view".
    >>

    > I did, but I don't know what you're talking about. I'm a neophyte when it
    > comes to linux. Where is nautilus file manager? I can't find it in any of
    > the pull-down menus.

    In Ubuntu 7.10 (Gnome), if you click on Places | Home Folder (or
    Documents, etc.) it brings up File Browser. The File Browser is named
    Nautilus. (Click on Help | About to see the name and version number.)

    In the File Browser menu (the one in the File Browser window, NOT the
    System menu at the top of the screen) click on Edit | Preferences. The
    first thing you see under the Views tab is "View new folders using:"
    Set this to "List View".

    --
    Dean

  17. Re: Folder Preference

    steveski wrote:
    > Al wrote:

    >>> In Nautilus, Edit | Preferences | Default View.

    >> OK, Nautilus is not in my pull-down menus. I searched for it using
    >> "Search for files" and found 160 items with the word Nautilus in them.
    >> It's sorta like a Google search. Which is the one I want and how do I get
    >> to it?

    > In 7.10 (Gutsy Gibbon) Ubuntu with a Gnome desktop manager:
    >
    > Applications > Accessories > File Manager (It's not called 'Nautilus' in the
    > menu).

    File Manager is not in my Ubuntu 7.10 (Gnome) Applications > Accessories
    menu by default.

    --
    Dean

  18. Re: Folder Preference

    Dean DeBruin wrote:

    > steveski wrote:
    >> Al wrote:

    >>> OK, Nautilus is not in my pull-down menus. I searched for it using
    >>> "Search for files" and found 160 items with the word Nautilus in them.
    >>> It's sorta like a Google search. Which is the one I want and how do I
    >>> get to it?

    >> In 7.10 (Gutsy Gibbon) Ubuntu with a Gnome desktop manager:
    >>
    >> Applications > Accessories > File Manager (It's not called 'Nautilus' in
    >> the menu).

    > File Manager is not in my Ubuntu 7.10 (Gnome) Applications > Accessories
    > menu by default.

    Then 'Places'. Sheesh!

    --
    Steveski

  19. Re: Folder Preference

    On Mon, 31 Dec 2007 15:06:02 +0000, Al wrote:

    > On Mon, 31 Dec 2007 04:43:40 +0000, jebblue wrote:
    >
    >> On Sun, 30 Dec 2007 20:26:55 +0000, Al wrote:
    >>
    >>> New folders always open with the view set as icons. I prefer lists and
    >>> would like new folders to open as lists. How do I do this?
    >>>
    >>> Thanks in advance.
    >>>
    >>> Al

    >> In Nautilus, Edit | Preferences | Default View.

    > OK, Nautilus is not in my pull-down menus. I searched for it using
    > "Search for files" and found 160 items with the word Nautilus in them.
    > It's sorta like a Google search. Which is the one I want and how do I
    > get to it?
    >
    > Al
    >
    > Al

    There should be an icon on your desktop called Computer. Double-click on
    that. That's Nautilus.

    You could also have clicked on the Help icon which is on the panel near
    the system menus. In the Help program that starts up, on the left choose
    "Files, folders and Documents" then "Working with files" then "Nautilus
    Preferences".

    If you're not sure what Nautilus is type the search phrase "what is
    nautilus" into Google and check out the first link

    There is also back at the top level in Help the "Introduction to the
    Desktop" then "Desktop Overview" and the description:

    "File Manager

    The Nautilus file manager

    provides access to your files, folders, and applications. You
    can manage the contents of folders in the file manager and open the files
    in the appropriate applications. See Chapter 6 ― Working with Files for
    more information."

    --
    // This is my opinion.

  20. Re: Folder Preference

    steveski wrote:
    > Dean DeBruin wrote:
    >
    >> steveski wrote:

    >>> In 7.10 (Gutsy Gibbon) Ubuntu with a Gnome desktop manager:
    >>>
    >>> Applications > Accessories > File Manager (It's not called 'Nautilus' in
    >>> the menu).

    >> File Manager is not in my Ubuntu 7.10 (Gnome) Applications > Accessories
    >> menu by default.

    > Then 'Places'. Sheesh!
    >
    > --
    > Steveski

    It's not listed in there either, what you get there is places that once
    opened are opened in the file manager.

    sheesh!

    Ram

+ Reply to Thread