Folder Preference - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Folder Preference - Ubuntu ; jebblue wrote: > On Mon, 31 Dec 2007 15:06:02 +0000, Al wrote: > >> On Mon, 31 Dec 2007 04:43:40 +0000, jebblue wrote: >> >>> On Sun, 30 Dec 2007 20:26:55 +0000, Al wrote: >>> >>>> New folders always open ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 33 of 33

  1. Re: Folder Preference

    jebblue wrote:
    > On Mon, 31 Dec 2007 15:06:02 +0000, Al wrote:

    >>> In Nautilus, Edit | Preferences | Default View.

    >> OK, Nautilus is not in my pull-down menus. I searched for it using
    >> "Search for files" and found 160 items with the word Nautilus in them.
    >> It's sorta like a Google search. Which is the one I want and how do I
    >> get to it?
    >>
    >> Al
    >>
    >> Al

    > There should be an icon on your desktop called Computer. Double-click on
    > that. That's Nautilus.

    Not by default.

    Ram

  2. Re: Folder Preference

    On Mon, 31 Dec 2007 07:58:42 -0800, Dean DeBruin wrote:

    > Al wrote:
    >>> Al
    >>>>
    >>> Erm, you can.
    >>>
    >>> in nautilus file manager 2.18.3
    >>>
    >>> edit/preferences
    >>>
    >>> and the first thing you see is "view" and under that "default view".
    >>>

    >> I did, but I don't know what you're talking about. I'm a neophyte when
    >> it comes to linux. Where is nautilus file manager? I can't find it in
    >> any of the pull-down menus.

    > In Ubuntu 7.10 (Gnome), if you click on Places | Home Folder (or
    > Documents, etc.) it brings up File Browser. The File Browser is named
    > Nautilus. (Click on Help | About to see the name and version number.)
    >
    > In the File Browser menu (the one in the File Browser window, NOT the
    > System menu at the top of the screen) click on Edit | Preferences. The
    > first thing you see under the Views tab is "View new folders using:" Set
    > this to "List View".

    Thank you Dean. Finally someone posted something that actually worked.

    Everyone else is referring to something called "Nautilus." But it never
    appears in the heading of any window or pull-down menu I have looked at.

    Thanks again. I tried you suggestion and it worked!

    Al

  3. Re: Folder Preference

    On Mon, 31 Dec 2007 15:01:25 GMT
    Al wrote:

    > I did, but I don't know what you're talking about. I'm a neophyte when it
    > comes to linux. Where is nautilus file manager? I can't find it in any of
    > the pull-down menus.

    It's the program you are already running and asking about ;-)

    --
    Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

  4. Re: Folder Preference

    On Mon, 31 Dec 2007 16:29:01 GMT
    Ram wrote:

    > jebblue wrote:

    > >> OK, Nautilus is not in my pull-down menus. I searched for it using
    > >> "Search for files" and found 160 items with the word Nautilus in them.
    > >> It's sorta like a Google search. Which is the one I want and how do I
    > >> get to it?
    > >>
    > >> Al
    > >>
    > >> Al

    > > There should be an icon on your desktop called Computer. Double-click on
    > > that. That's Nautilus.

    > Not by default.

    It's the program he's been asking about so he already knows where it
    is, he just didn't know it was called Nautilus is all.

    --
    Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

  5. Re: Folder Preference

    >> That's how some people pronounce "Windows" around here, like in MS
    >> Winders. It's a joke ;-)
    >>
    >> And so is the OS.
    >>
    >> Al

    > If its such a joke then I would think you were knowledgeable enough to
    > use google to help you with what I'm talking about. You seem unwilling
    > or unable to utilise the help I have given you. One can lead a horse to
    > water but can not make one drink.
    >
    > Au revoir.

    The last winders I have used is 2000. Until Ubuntu came along, I just
    used Macs. I like Ubuntu as it is more like the Mac OS 9.2.2 rather than
    the Mac OS X series which seems graphically to appeal to 8 year olds.

    If you would like to know my feelings about computers, read Simone
    Santini's article, "Making Computers Do More with Less" in the December,
    2007, issue of "Computer" published by the IEEE Computer Society.

    My latest frustration with the computers is that the latest TurboTax,
    which I use to do my taxes with, requires Mac OS 10.4 to work. What
    crapola! Seems like the lazy programmers can't make it backward
    compatible to 10.3 which is what I have on my Mac. And try and find a
    legit copy of 10.4 now that 10.5 has been issued.

    I can go to any auto dealer and buy almost any year of car they have on
    their lot. And I can buy parts for them. Why can't the G--D--- software
    be the same?

    Al

  6. Re: Folder Preference

    Trevor Best wrote:
    > On Mon, 31 Dec 2007 16:29:01 GMT
    > Ram wrote:
    >
    >> jebblue wrote:

    >>> There should be an icon on your desktop called Computer. Double-click on
    >>> that. That's Nautilus.

    >> Not by default.

    > It's the program he's been asking about so he already knows where it
    > is, he just didn't know it was called Nautilus is all.

    Which I'd already explained in an earlier post by xref'ing to explorer.

    Ram

  7. Re: Folder Preference

    Ram wrote:
    > jebblue wrote:

    >>> OK, Nautilus is not in my pull-down menus. I searched for it using
    >>> "Search for files" and found 160 items with the word Nautilus in them.
    >>> It's sorta like a Google search. Which is the one I want and how do I
    >>> get to it?
    >>>
    >>> Al
    >>>
    >>> Al

    >> There should be an icon on your desktop called Computer. Double-click
    >> on that. That's Nautilus.

    > Not by default.
    >

    > Ram

    Right click on Applications. Click Edit Menus.
    On the left side will be the Applications column,
    click on Accessories.
    Now on the right side make sure File Browser is
    check marked.
    Now it should show up in your
    Applications-Accessories Menu.
    caver1

  8. Re: Folder Preference

    Al wrote:

    >>> I did, but I don't know what you're talking about. I'm a neophyte when
    >>> it comes to linux. Where is nautilus file manager? I can't find it in
    >>> any of the pull-down menus.

    >> In Ubuntu 7.10 (Gnome), if you click on Places | Home Folder (or
    >> Documents, etc.) it brings up File Browser. The File Browser is named
    >> Nautilus. (Click on Help | About to see the name and version number.)
    >>
    >> In the File Browser menu (the one in the File Browser window, NOT the
    >> System menu at the top of the screen) click on Edit | Preferences. The
    >> first thing you see under the Views tab is "View new folders using:" Set
    >> this to "List View".

    > Thank you Dean. Finally someone posted something that actually worked.
    >
    > Everyone else is referring to something called "Nautilus." But it never
    > appears in the heading of any window or pull-down menu I have looked at.
    >
    > Thanks again. I tried you suggestion and it worked!
    >
    > Al

    Al, what part of my reply did you not understand ?

    Ram.

  9. Re: Folder Preference

    On Mon, 31 Dec 2007 16:54:42 +0000, Al wrote:

    > My latest frustration with the computers is that the latest TurboTax,
    > which I use to do my taxes with, requires Mac OS 10.4 to work. What
    > crapola! Seems like the lazy programmers can't make it backward
    > compatible to 10.3 which is what I have on my Mac. And try and find a
    > legit copy of 10.4 now that 10.5 has been issued.
    >
    > I can go to any auto dealer and buy almost any year of car they have on
    > their lot. And I can buy parts for them. Why can't the G--D--- software
    > be the same?

    My guess would be "because Macs suck".

    Sounds like you would agree.

  10. Re: Folder Preference

    On Mon, 31 Dec 2007 16:44:40 +0000, Al wrote:

    > Everyone else is referring to something called "Nautilus." But it never
    > appears in the heading of any window or pull-down menu I have looked at.

    Abso-****in-lutely amazing.

    Jesus, that's scary. I thought only newborn baby panda bears were this
    helpless.

  11. Re: Folder Preference

    On Sun, 30 Dec 2007 20:26:55 +0000, Al wrote:

    > New folders always open with the view set as icons. I prefer lists and
    > would like new folders to open as lists. How do I do this?
    >
    > Thanks in advance.
    >
    > Al

    Open a folder.
    Look at the menubar on the window of folder.
    Click on edit and pull down to preferences.
    Click on the view tab.
    Choose your preferences as needed.
    Click on close.

    stonerfish

  12. Re: Folder Preference

    On Mon, 31 Dec 2007 17:16:36 GMT
    Ram wrote:

    [snip nautilus]

    > > It's the program he's been asking about so he already knows where it
    > > is, he just didn't know it was called Nautilus is all.
    > >

    > Which I'd already explained in an earlier post by xref'ing to explorer.

    I'm waiting for the penny to drop :-)

    --
    Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

  13. Re: Folder Preference

    steveski wrote:
    > Dean DeBruin wrote:
    >
    >> steveski wrote:

    >>> In 7.10 (Gutsy Gibbon) Ubuntu with a Gnome desktop manager:
    >>>
    >>> Applications > Accessories > File Manager (It's not called 'Nautilus' in
    >>> the menu).

    >> File Manager is not in my Ubuntu 7.10 (Gnome) Applications > Accessories
    >> menu by default.

    > Then 'Places'. Sheesh!

    Sorry. I meant to explain further, but I was late for work this morning
    and had to send that message and sign off quickly. I just didn't want
    the OP looking for a non-existent menu item and getting even more
    frustrated.

    --
    Dean

+ Reply to Thread