Acronis and Ubuntu - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Acronis and Ubuntu - Ubuntu ; Probably been asked but anyone have experience migrating Ubuntu or other distros to a new drive? I've used Acronis Migrate Easy 7 on XP with perfect results. I want to replace my WD 200 gig SATA with a faster Seagate ...

  1. Acronis and Ubuntu

    Probably been asked but anyone have experience migrating Ubuntu or other
    distros to a new drive? I've used Acronis Migrate Easy 7 on XP with
    perfect results. I want to replace my WD 200 gig SATA with a faster
    Seagate SATA drive. I have a 160 gig Seagate drive and 200 Gig WD SATA
    drive in this PC and according to hdparm test the Seagate outshines the WD
    drive considerably. Plus the HD drive runs much hotter, right around the
    upper limit that is considered safe. Found this out with a utility that
    runs in XP.

  2. Re: Acronis and Ubuntu

    Meat Plow wrote:

    > Probably been asked but anyone have experience migrating Ubuntu or other
    > distros to a new drive? I've used Acronis Migrate Easy 7 on XP with
    > perfect results. I want to replace my WD 200 gig SATA with a faster
    > Seagate SATA drive. I have a 160 gig Seagate drive and 200 Gig WD SATA
    > drive in this PC and according to hdparm test the Seagate outshines the WD
    > drive considerably. Plus the HD drive runs much hotter, right around the
    > upper limit that is considered safe. Found this out with a utility that
    > runs in XP.

    Acronis True Image works fine by simply cloning the drive.

    Cheers.

    --
    Boot It Up!
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=-kql8cWqiv8

  3. Re: Acronis and Ubuntu

    Meat Plow wrote:
    > Probably been asked but anyone have experience migrating Ubuntu or other
    > distros to a new drive?

    'Acronis True Image' works a treat backup & restore. Cloned XP but not
    tried Ubu'

  4. Re: Acronis and Ubuntu

    On Sun, 30 Dec 2007 20:06:57 +0000, NoStop wrote:

    > Meat Plow wrote:
    >
    >> Probably been asked but anyone have experience migrating Ubuntu or other
    >> distros to a new drive? I've used Acronis Migrate Easy 7 on XP with
    >> perfect results. I want to replace my WD 200 gig SATA with a faster
    >> Seagate SATA drive. I have a 160 gig Seagate drive and 200 Gig WD SATA
    >> drive in this PC and according to hdparm test the Seagate outshines the WD
    >> drive considerably. Plus the HD drive runs much hotter, right around the
    >> upper limit that is considered safe. Found this out with a utility that
    >> runs in XP.

    > Acronis True Image works fine by simply cloning the drive.

    Well I guess Acronis Migrate Easy clone feature should work then.

  5. Re: Acronis and Ubuntu

    On Sun, 30 Dec 2007 14:51:19 -0500, Meat Plow wrote:

    > Probably been asked but anyone have experience migrating Ubuntu or other
    > distros to a new drive? I've used Acronis Migrate Easy 7 on XP with
    > perfect results. I want to replace my WD 200 gig SATA with a faster
    > Seagate SATA drive. I have a 160 gig Seagate drive and 200 Gig WD SATA
    > drive in this PC and according to hdparm test the Seagate outshines the
    > WD drive considerably. Plus the HD drive runs much hotter, right around
    > the upper limit that is considered safe. Found this out with a utility
    > that runs in XP.

    TrueImage successfully let me take a physical XP partition and run it in
    a VMware machine. It was amazing to boot it the first time and find
    everything working. That is a kudos to TrueImage, Ubuntu, VMware and even
    XP. Live backup isn't available in the Home version on Linux though, they
    do have a Server version for Linux but I've not tried it, costs too much.

    --
    // This is my opinion.

  6. Re: Acronis and Ubuntu

    jebblue wrote:

    > TrueImage successfully let me take a physical XP partition and run it in
    > a VMware machine. It was amazing to boot it the first time and find
    > everything working. That is a kudos to TrueImage, Ubuntu, VMware and even
    > XP.

    That's interesting! Please tell me how you did this. Are you using VMPlayer
    or the VMWare Server? Must be some utility that takes a TI image file and
    converts it to a VM disk?

    Thanks

    Cheers.

    --
    Boot It Up!
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=-kql8cWqiv8

  7. Re: Acronis and Ubuntu

    I have used TrueImage with both XP, Ubuntu and Suse
    In my case I got the best results by using the bootable version and used a
    LAN connection to another computer [in the cases of a single hdd machine].
    This is very flexible - offering from a complete hdd image to single
    partition, often with resizing options.
    Jeff

    "Meat Plow" wrote in message
    > Probably been asked but anyone have experience migrating Ubuntu or other
    > distros to a new drive? I've used Acronis Migrate Easy 7 on XP with
    > perfect results. I want to replace my WD 200 gig SATA with a faster
    > Seagate SATA drive. I have a 160 gig Seagate drive and 200 Gig WD SATA
    > drive in this PC and according to hdparm test the Seagate outshines the WD
    > drive considerably. Plus the HD drive runs much hotter, right around the
    > upper limit that is considered safe. Found this out with a utility that
    > runs in XP.

  8. Re: Acronis and Ubuntu

    On Sun, 30 Dec 2007 14:51:19 -0500, Meat Plow wrote:

    > Probably been asked but anyone have experience migrating Ubuntu or other
    > distros to a new drive? I've used Acronis Migrate Easy 7 on XP with
    > perfect results. I want to replace my WD 200 gig SATA with a faster
    > Seagate SATA drive. I have a 160 gig Seagate drive and 200 Gig WD SATA
    > drive in this PC and according to hdparm test the Seagate outshines the
    > WD drive considerably. Plus the HD drive runs much hotter, right around
    > the upper limit that is considered safe. Found this out with a utility
    > that runs in XP.

    You don't need Acronis. You can clone a drive with dd,
    dd if=/dev/sdx of=/dev/sdy

    I don't know if the Ubuntu Live CD has dd and gparted on it, it probably
    does, but if it doesn't you can use the Fedora 8 Live CD which has both.

  9. Re: Acronis and Ubuntu

    On Mon, 31 Dec 2007 01:33:05 +0000, NoStop wrote:

    > That's interesting! Please tell me how you did this. Are you using
    > VMPlayer or the VMWare Server? Must be some utility that takes a TI
    > image file and converts it to a VM disk?

    Easy:

    1) start with a machine running XP

    2) install Acronis TrueImage and do Live backups or I guess a single one
    using the boot CD (which happens to run Linux I think) hmm or just do a
    backup in XP using their GUI, any one of these gives you a backup file
    with a .tib extension saved hopefully to like an external USB drive

    3) boot into Ubuntu Live CD and install Ubuntu wipe out the whole hard
    disk if you want (I did this with SuSE before too)

    4) boot Ubuntu and install VMware Server (Workstation should work too,
    but my copy is 5.5 and I stopped upgrading for home use, Server works
    good for this)

    5) create a new VM for XP with plenty of hard disk space, enough to
    contain the expanded image in the .tib file at least and then boot the VM
    with the Acronis boot CD in the drive

    6) use the TrueImage GUI running inside the VM to "restore" your XP image
    inside the VM

    7) boot XP (previously running on physical hardware) inside your brand
    new VM, XP will adjust itself to VMware's drivers and such

    Summay:

    1) make a backup of your XP system with TrueImage GUI and save on an
    external USB drive or extra internal drive
    2) install Ubuntu then VMware and create a new instance in which to run XP
    3) boot the VM with the TrueImage boot CD and "restore" your XP image
    4) boot XP and start using it inside VMware running on Ubuntu

    Enjoy!

    --
    // This is my opinion.

  10. Re: Acronis and Ubuntu

    On Sun, 30 Dec 2007 20:49:44 -0600, General Schvantzkopf wrote:

    > You don't need Acronis. You can clone a drive with dd, dd if=/dev/sdx
    > of=/dev/sdy
    >
    > I don't know if the Ubuntu Live CD has dd and gparted on it, it probably
    > does, but if it doesn't you can use the Fedora 8 Live CD which has both.

    That works great when the drive sizes and types are identical but for
    anything more flexible like moving to a larger drive then it potentially
    creates some issues that TrueImage handles automatically like drive re-
    sizing as Jeff mentioned.

    Are there ways to correct for this i.e. expand the dd'ed image? Otherwise
    you would be stuck with creating the space delta between the old image
    size and the new drive size and tacking it on as a new volume or
    something I think?

    --
    // This is my opinion.

  11. Re: Acronis and Ubuntu

    jebblue wrote:
    > That works great when the drive sizes and types are identical but for
    > anything more flexible like moving to a larger drive then it potentially
    > creates some issues that TrueImage handles automatically like drive re-
    > sizing as Jeff mentioned.

    You can still use dd, just partition your other (larger) drive
    appropriately beforehand. Or just resize the dd partition afterwards
    using resize2fs or Gparted. Flexible and free.

    If you don't like that option, one of these tools will do the job for free:
    Parted Magic, Clonezilla, Partimage, Gparted, GParted-Clonezilla LiveCD.

    --Benjamin Franklin

  12. Re: Acronis and Ubuntu

    On Mon, 31 Dec 2007 09:13:15 +0000, johnny bobby bee wrote:

    > jebblue wrote:
    >> That works great when the drive sizes and types are identical but for
    >> anything more flexible like moving to a larger drive then it
    >> potentially creates some issues that TrueImage handles automatically
    >> like drive re- sizing as Jeff mentioned.

    > You can still use dd, just partition your other (larger) drive
    > appropriately beforehand. Or just resize the dd partition afterwards
    > using resize2fs or Gparted. Flexible and free.
    >
    > If you don't like that option, one of these tools will do the job for
    > free: Parted Magic, Clonezilla, Partimage, Gparted, GParted-Clonezilla
    > LiveCD.

    Jetblue is right, you can easily resize the partitions with resize2fs or
    gparted. However if I were you I'd just do a fresh install to the new
    disk and then copy what ever you need from the old disk using cp or
    rsync. The install vs clone tradeoffs are completely different for Linux
    vs Windows. Installing a fresh Linux system is orders of magnitude faster
    with Linux then it is for Windows. A Linux install takes about 20
    minutes. Once you've done the install all you have to do is update your
    software, which is a one step process on Linux vs the 12 reboots that XP
    requires, and then install the additional packages that you need, which
    is also a one step process because everything is in one place. More
    importantly there is no activation required with Linux because the
    software is free, with Windows you not only have to install all of your
    software one package at a time but you also have to reactivate all of it.
    What's worse is that some Windows programs, like Photoshop, have a limit
    on how many times you can reactivate it (Photoshop's limit is 2). That's
    why people use Acronis to clone Windows systems rather than just doing a
    fresh install. Since Linux has none of the Windows install problems there
    is no reason to do a clone when a fresh install is faster. It's also an
    opportunity to do an upgrade if you aren't already running the latest
    version of your distro.

  13. Re: Acronis and Ubuntu

    On Mon, 31 Dec 2007 09:13:15 +0000, johnny bobby bee wrote:

    > You can still use dd, just partition your other (larger) drive
    > appropriately beforehand. Or just resize the dd partition afterwards
    > using resize2fs or Gparted. Flexible and free.

    Ok I see, Gparted should be able to update the newly dd'ed image to
    absorb the extra space on the new larger drive. Good point.

    --
    // This is my opinion.

  14. Re: Acronis and Ubuntu

    jebblue wrote:

    > On Mon, 31 Dec 2007 01:33:05 +0000, NoStop wrote:
    >
    >> That's interesting! Please tell me how you did this. Are you using
    >> VMPlayer or the VMWare Server? Must be some utility that takes a TI
    >> image file and converts it to a VM disk?

    > Easy:
    >
    > 1) start with a machine running XP
    >
    > 2) install Acronis TrueImage and do Live backups or I guess a single one
    > using the boot CD (which happens to run Linux I think) hmm or just do a
    > backup in XP using their GUI, any one of these gives you a backup file
    > with a .tib extension saved hopefully to like an external USB drive
    >
    > 3) boot into Ubuntu Live CD and install Ubuntu wipe out the whole hard
    > disk if you want (I did this with SuSE before too)
    >
    > 4) boot Ubuntu and install VMware Server (Workstation should work too,
    > but my copy is 5.5 and I stopped upgrading for home use, Server works
    > good for this)
    >
    > 5) create a new VM for XP with plenty of hard disk space, enough to
    > contain the expanded image in the .tib file at least and then boot the VM
    > with the Acronis boot CD in the drive
    >
    > 6) use the TrueImage GUI running inside the VM to "restore" your XP image
    > inside the VM
    >
    > 7) boot XP (previously running on physical hardware) inside your brand
    > new VM, XP will adjust itself to VMware's drivers and such
    >
    > Summay:
    >
    > 1) make a backup of your XP system with TrueImage GUI and save on an
    > external USB drive or extra internal drive
    > 2) install Ubuntu then VMware and create a new instance in which to run XP
    > 3) boot the VM with the TrueImage boot CD and "restore" your XP image
    > 4) boot XP and start using it inside VMware running on Ubuntu
    >
    > Enjoy!

    No problems with something like video driver, since the original image will
    be set up to use a different driver than the virtual driver provided within
    the VM? Same goes for sound and maybe mobo specific drivers. The new VM
    will just boot without problems in this area?

    Cheers.

    --
    Try Ubuntu ...
    http://www.ubuntu.com

  15. Re: Acronis and Ubuntu

    On Mon, 31 Dec 2007 16:43:44 +0000, NoStop wrote:

    > No problems with something like video driver, since the original image
    > will be set up to use a different driver than the virtual driver
    > provided within the VM? Same goes for sound and maybe mobo specific
    > drivers. The new VM will just boot without problems in this area?

    It came up and worked for me. It is in XP's interest to support VMware,
    same with Ubuntu, same with VMware. I installed the VMware Tools in the
    VM after the OS started up, which is recommended for VMware VMs. I really
    expected the thing to not boot, blue screen, something, but XP just
    adjusted itself and VMware accomodated it using Ubuntu as the host. It
    was originally on a 1 TB RAID drive (two 500 Gig drives) and the VM I
    created for it was 200 Megs dynamic. I always use dynamic in VMware. I
    also never use VMware's Share Folders.

    I think I re-sized the desktop since it now runs in a VM window. Any
    questions about VMware should be directed to the VMware forums, Ubuntu is
    a supported Host OS.

    --
    // This is my opinion.

  16. Re: Acronis and Ubuntu

    On Mon, 31 Dec 2007 18:51:03 +0000, jebblue wrote:

    > created for it was 200 Megs dynamic. I always use dynamic in VMware. I

    Correction: 200 Gigs not Megs.

    --
    // This is my opinion.

  17. Re: Acronis and Ubuntu

    On Sun, 30 Dec 2007 20:49:44 -0600, General Schvantzkopf wrote:
    > You don't need Acronis. You can clone a drive with dd, dd if=/dev/sdx
    > of=/dev/sdy

    Actually, I think you can even do it more easily than this and with much
    more flexibility. Just format your target drive with whatever file
    system you want (can be different from your source, unlike the dd
    solution). Then do a "cp -avx / /mnt/sdb1". Then use grub-install to
    set up your boot options depending on how you want to boot it.
    Can use "rsync -avxH --delete" in place of the "cp -avx" if you want to
    exploit rsync's ability to mirror over an older copy (e.g. for a periodic
    backup disk).

  18. Re: Acronis and Ubuntu

    On Tue, 01 Jan 2008 03:51:46 +0000, Mark wrote:

    > On Sun, 30 Dec 2007 20:49:44 -0600, General Schvantzkopf wrote:
    >> You don't need Acronis. You can clone a drive with dd, dd if=/dev/sdx
    >> of=/dev/sdy

    > Actually, I think you can even do it more easily than this and with much
    > more flexibility. Just format your target drive with whatever file
    > system you want (can be different from your source, unlike the dd
    > solution). Then do a "cp -avx / /mnt/sdb1". Then use grub-install to
    > set up your boot options depending on how you want to boot it.
    > Can use "rsync -avxH --delete" in place of the "cp -avx" if you want to
    > exploit rsync's ability to mirror over an older copy (e.g. for a periodic
    > backup disk).

    Acronis along with Grub Super Boot disc is easy for dummies like me.

+ Reply to Thread