10 gig usb drive. How do i? - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on 10 gig usb drive. How do i? - Ubuntu ; I am running Kbuntu 7.01.1 I have a usb 10 gig drive that I want to use for back up of my home files. I run sudo lsusb and get a line: Bus 003 Device 010: ID 04b4:6830 Cypress Semiconductor ...

  1. 10 gig usb drive. How do i?

    I am running Kbuntu 7.01.1 I have a usb 10 gig drive that I want to use for
    back up of my home files. I run sudo lsusb and get a line:
    Bus 003 Device 010: ID 04b4:6830 Cypress Semiconductor Corp. USB-2.0 IDE Adapter
    I assume this shows the drive is found but I have not found a way to use this so
    I can Keep and backing up my /home files to this drive.
    If someone can point me in the correct direction so I can figure out how to use
    this, I will most appreciative.
    Thanks.

  2. Re: 10 gig usb drive. How do i?

    On Sun, 30 Dec 2007 07:21:39 +0000, Leon Whyte wrote:

    > I am running Kbuntu 7.01.1 I have a usb 10 gig drive that I want to use
    > for back up of my home files. I run sudo lsusb and get a line: Bus 003
    > Device 010: ID 04b4:6830 Cypress Semiconductor Corp. USB-2.0 IDE Adapter
    > I assume this shows the drive is found but I have not found a way to use
    > this so I can Keep and backing up my /home files to this drive. If
    > someone can point me in the correct direction so I can figure out how to
    > use this, I will most appreciative.
    > Thanks.

    Normally the moment you connect it any file systems on it should be
    automatically mounted under some directory in /media so I'd check there.

    You should also be able to see the mounted directories though from within
    nautilus and get a desktop shortcut.

    If you're not, I'd check with gparted if there are any mountable
    partitions in the first place. Maybe the card is not formatted?

    --
    Stephan
    2003 Yamaha R6

    君の事思い出す日なんてないのは
    君の事忘れたときがないから

  3. Re: 10 gig usb drive. How do i?

    On Sun, 30 Dec 2007 07:21:39 +0000, Leon Whyte wrote:

    > I am running Kbuntu 7.01.1 I have a usb 10 gig drive that I want to use for
    > back up of my home files. I run sudo lsusb and get a line:
    > Bus 003 Device 010: ID 04b4:6830 Cypress Semiconductor Corp. USB-2.0 IDE Adapter
    > I assume this shows the drive is found but I have not found a way to use this so
    > I can Keep and backing up my /home files to this drive.
    > If someone can point me in the correct direction so I can figure out how to use
    > this, I will most appreciative.
    > Thanks.

    Your drive should mount automatically and give you an icon on your desktop
    with the label of the drive in the name. Go to System Settings -> Advanced
    tab then Disks & Filesystems and look for Removable USB Disk. USB drives
    are usually automounted in /media/(label name of your drive if any).
    You can also see where it is mounted if you type 'mount' in a term. Look
    for at the bottom (taken from my system yours may vary) /dev/sdg1 on
    /media/FAT type vfat...... whereas my drive label is FAT.

    Your drive is fat16 or fat 32 correct? NTFS won't automount from my
    experience anyway.

  4. Re: 10 gig usb drive. How do i?

    Meat Plow writes:

    > On Sun, 30 Dec 2007 07:21:39 +0000, Leon Whyte wrote:
    >
    >> I am running Kbuntu 7.01.1 I have a usb 10 gig drive that I want to use for
    >> back up of my home files. I run sudo lsusb and get a line:
    >> Bus 003 Device 010: ID 04b4:6830 Cypress Semiconductor Corp. USB-2.0 IDE Adapter
    >> I assume this shows the drive is found but I have not found a way to use this so
    >> I can Keep and backing up my /home files to this drive.
    >> If someone can point me in the correct direction so I can figure out how to use
    >> this, I will most appreciative.
    >> Thanks.

    > Your drive should mount automatically and give you an icon on your desktop
    > with the label of the drive in the name. Go to System Settings -> Advanced
    > tab then Disks & Filesystems and look for Removable USB Disk. USB drives
    > are usually automounted in /media/(label name of your drive if any).
    > You can also see where it is mounted if you type 'mount' in a term. Look
    > for at the bottom (taken from my system yours may vary) /dev/sdg1 on
    > /media/FAT type vfat...... whereas my drive label is FAT.
    >
    > Your drive is fat16 or fat 32 correct? NTFS won't automount from my
    > experience anyway.

    Better is, IMO, to assign a UUID to the drive and have a UUID entry in
    your fstab to mount to the same place each time. An almost identical
    situtation to the OP, I have in my fstab:

    UUID=****************************** /media/home_bu ext3
    defaults,user,auto 0 0

    where ****************************** is the UUID.

    The UUID remains the same across logins, systems etc. Order of mounting
    means nothing.

    man tune2fs

    for more information on assigning UUIDs and, of course, check google.

  5. Re: 10 gig usb drive. How do i?

    Leon Whyte wrote:
    > I am running Kbuntu 7.01.1 I have a usb 10 gig drive that I want to use
    > for back up of my home files. I run sudo lsusb and get a line:
    > Bus 003 Device 010: ID 04b4:6830 Cypress Semiconductor Corp. USB-2.0 IDE
    > Adapter
    > I assume this shows the drive is found but I have not found a way to use
    > this so I can Keep and backing up my /home files to this drive.
    > If someone can point me in the correct direction so I can figure out how
    > to use this, I will most appreciative.
    > Thanks.

    My USB drive has three partitions. When it is plugged into the computer
    and powered on the partitions automount (sort of). From the desktop I
    have to click on the icon to mount the partition. Coincidentally it also
    opens up the partition with a file manager. From there, locate the icon
    on the desktop which corresponds to the "/" directory. Open it up (yes
    two file manager windows). Navigate into the /home directory. From there
    drag and drop the user directory from one window into the other. Select
    "copy here" not "move here". Now you've made your first backup. When
    finished close both windows. Right click on the USB partition and select
    "safely unmount" or "safely close". When it is done you can power down
    the device. If you have a program accessing the partition, it will give
    you an error message.

    Later
    Mike

  6. Re: 10 gig usb drive. How do i?

    In article <7GHdj.23482$wy2.23022@edtnps90>,
    Leon Whyte wrote:
    > I am running Kbuntu 7.01.1 I have a usb 10 gig drive that I want to
    > use for back up of my home files. I run sudo lsusb and get a line:
    > Bus 003 Device 010: ID 04b4:6830 Cypress Semiconductor Corp. USB-2.0
    > IDE Adapter I assume this shows the drive is found but I have not
    > found a way to use this

    Not necessarily. 10 gig is rather small by today's standards, so I
    wonder if this is an old drive? If so, it may need a driver. Some old
    drives did not implement the USB mass storage standard, and they would
    instead show up as some kind of disk controller, and you'd need a driver
    for your OS that understood that disk controller.

    Googling for "Cypress Semiconductor Corp. USB-2.0 IDE Adapter" shows you
    aren't the first to have this kind of problem. Lots of results from
    people who can't get it going in Linux. Here's a good one:

    <https://lists.one-eyed-alien.net/pip...6-February/002
    230.html>

    And it looks like it isn't just old drives--apparently there are a
    couple of current USB enclosure makers who are doing the "funky
    controller plus driver" scheme rather than implementing the mass storage
    standard.

    --
    --Tim Smith

  7. Re: 10 gig usb drive. How do i?

    On Sun, 30 Dec 2007 18:47:43 +0100, Hadron wrote:

    > Meat Plow writes:
    >
    >> On Sun, 30 Dec 2007 07:21:39 +0000, Leon Whyte wrote:
    >>
    >>> I am running Kbuntu 7.01.1 I have a usb 10 gig drive that I want to use for
    >>> back up of my home files. I run sudo lsusb and get a line:
    >>> Bus 003 Device 010: ID 04b4:6830 Cypress Semiconductor Corp. USB-2.0 IDE Adapter
    >>> I assume this shows the drive is found but I have not found a way to use this so
    >>> I can Keep and backing up my /home files to this drive.
    >>> If someone can point me in the correct direction so I can figure out how to use
    >>> this, I will most appreciative.
    >>> Thanks.

    >> Your drive should mount automatically and give you an icon on your desktop
    >> with the label of the drive in the name. Go to System Settings -> Advanced
    >> tab then Disks & Filesystems and look for Removable USB Disk. USB drives
    >> are usually automounted in /media/(label name of your drive if any).
    >> You can also see where it is mounted if you type 'mount' in a term. Look
    >> for at the bottom (taken from my system yours may vary) /dev/sdg1 on
    >> /media/FAT type vfat...... whereas my drive label is FAT.
    >>
    >> Your drive is fat16 or fat 32 correct? NTFS won't automount from my
    >> experience anyway.
    >>

    > Better is, IMO, to assign a UUID to the drive and have a UUID entry in
    > your fstab to mount to the same place each time. An almost identical
    > situtation to the OP, I have in my fstab:
    >
    > UUID=****************************** /media/home_bu ext3
    > defaults,user,auto 0 0
    >
    > where ****************************** is the UUID.
    >
    > The UUID remains the same across logins, systems etc. Order of mounting
    > means nothing.
    >
    > man tune2fs
    >
    > for more information on assigning UUIDs and, of course, check google.

    Assigning a unique user id is of course the better way. I was just trying
    to get the newbie in the ball park for now

  8. Re: 10 gig usb drive. How do i?

    Tim Smith wrote:
    > In article <7GHdj.23482$wy2.23022@edtnps90>,
    > Leon Whyte wrote:
    >> I am running Kbuntu 7.01.1 I have a usb 10 gig drive that I want to
    >> use for back up of my home files. I run sudo lsusb and get a line:
    >> Bus 003 Device 010: ID 04b4:6830 Cypress Semiconductor Corp. USB-2.0
    >> IDE Adapter I assume this shows the drive is found but I have not
    >> found a way to use this

    > Not necessarily. 10 gig is rather small by today's standards, so I
    > wonder if this is an old drive? If so, it may need a driver. Some old
    > drives did not implement the USB mass storage standard, and they would
    > instead show up as some kind of disk controller, and you'd need a driver
    > for your OS that understood that disk controller.
    >
    > Googling for "Cypress Semiconductor Corp. USB-2.0 IDE Adapter" shows you
    > aren't the first to have this kind of problem. Lots of results from
    > people who can't get it going in Linux. Here's a good one:
    >
    > <https://lists.one-eyed-alien.net/pip...6-February/002
    > 230.html>
    >
    > And it looks like it isn't just old drives--apparently there are a
    > couple of current USB enclosure makers who are doing the "funky
    > controller plus driver" scheme rather than implementing the mass storage
    > standard.

    Well this just shows that the googling I had already done was what I could
    expect. I was given this drive by my brother who used to use it in windows and
    he figured I could use it in Linux. Googling showed me I can't find a driver for
    it even in Windows so I am just going to give up on it and chuck the drive and box.
    I am expecting to upgrade my motherboard soon and will also add an USB drive for
    backup as the prices for drives like that are quite low now and it is about time
    I left this old Asus motherboard with its' 1.66 ghz cpu go to my wife. She just
    plays solitaire and Mahjongg so it won't hurt. Her unit now is 1.3 ghz.
    Thanks for you efforts.

  9. Re: 10 gig usb drive. How do i?

    On Mon, 31 Dec 2007 06:46:45 +0000, Leon Whyte wrote:

    > Tim Smith wrote:
    >> In article <7GHdj.23482$wy2.23022@edtnps90>,
    >> Leon Whyte wrote:
    >>> I am running Kbuntu 7.01.1 I have a usb 10 gig drive that I want to
    >>> use for back up of my home files. I run sudo lsusb and get a line: Bus
    >>> 003 Device 010: ID 04b4:6830 Cypress Semiconductor Corp. USB-2.0 IDE
    >>> Adapter I assume this shows the drive is found but I have not found a
    >>> way to use this

    >> Not necessarily. 10 gig is rather small by today's standards, so I
    >> wonder if this is an old drive? If so, it may need a driver. Some old
    >> drives did not implement the USB mass storage standard, and they would
    >> instead show up as some kind of disk controller, and you'd need a
    >> driver for your OS that understood that disk controller.
    >>
    >> Googling for "Cypress Semiconductor Corp. USB-2.0 IDE Adapter" shows
    >> you aren't the first to have this kind of problem. Lots of results
    >> from people who can't get it going in Linux. Here's a good one:
    >>
    >> <https://lists.one-eyed-alien.net/pip...-storage/2006-

    February/002
    >> 230.html>
    >>
    >> And it looks like it isn't just old drives--apparently there are a
    >> couple of current USB enclosure makers who are doing the "funky
    >> controller plus driver" scheme rather than implementing the mass
    >> storage standard.
    >>

    > Well this just shows that the googling I had already done was what I
    > could expect. I was given this drive by my brother who used to use it in
    > windows and he figured I could use it in Linux. Googling showed me I
    > can't find a driver for it even in Windows so I am just going to give up
    > on it and chuck the drive and box. I am expecting to upgrade my
    > motherboard soon and will also add an USB drive for backup as the prices
    > for drives like that are quite low now and it is about time I left this
    > old Asus motherboard with its' 1.66 ghz cpu go to my wife. She just
    > plays solitaire and Mahjongg so it won't hurt. Her unit now is 1.3 ghz.
    > Thanks for you efforts.

    You need a serious hardware upgrade my friend. Seriously. You're not
    far from Commodore 64 there my friend.

+ Reply to Thread