Firefox and embedded video question - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Firefox and embedded video question - Ubuntu ; I'm 4 day into Ubuntu and Linux and loving it, very smooth transition. I was already a Firefox user so that was easy. Two things I'm running into first at cnn.com the videos timeout and I get this message "The ...

  1. Firefox and embedded video question

    I'm 4 day into Ubuntu and Linux and loving it, very smooth transition. I
    was already a Firefox user so that was easy. Two things I'm running into
    first at cnn.com the videos timeout and I get this message "The video
    timed out attempting to play. Please ensure that you do not have any
    Flash Blocking plugins active." I tried to install Adobe 9 Flash but in
    watching the details on install it failed but I couldn't see why. 2nd
    video issue is when I go to www.filecabi.net I get a black screen trying
    to show video through trial and error I found if I right-click and quit
    Gnash I can get the video to show. I have an Nvidia FX video card is that
    matters. Any advice on what needs to change to make the videos show up
    first time? Thanks in advance.

  2. Re: Firefox and embedded video question

    Jb wrote:
    > Any advice on what needs to change to make the videos show up
    > first time? Thanks in advance.

    Firstly, get rid of Gnash.

    Secondly, look through the group for the thread on "ubuntu studio flash
    problems". Only a few days ago, a couple of us describe how to install
    the latest flash the direct way.

    --Benjamin Franklin

  3. Re: Firefox and embedded video question

    On Sat, 29 Dec 2007 21:55:11 +0000, Jb wrote:

    > I'm 4 day into Ubuntu and Linux and loving it, very smooth transition. I
    > was already a Firefox user so that was easy. Two things I'm running into
    > first at cnn.com the videos timeout and I get this message "The video
    > timed out attempting to play. Please ensure that you do not have any
    > Flash Blocking plugins active." I tried to install Adobe 9 Flash but in
    > watching the details on install it failed but I couldn't see why. 2nd
    > video issue is when I go to www.filecabi.net I get a black screen trying
    > to show video through trial and error I found if I right-click and quit
    > Gnash I can get the video to show. I have an Nvidia FX video card is
    > that matters. Any advice on what needs to change to make the videos show
    > up first time? Thanks in advance.

    The fix here did the trick: