Generic USB 2.0 hub showing up as USB 1.1 - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Generic USB 2.0 hub showing up as USB 1.1 - Ubuntu ; In article , comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips, VanguardLH@mail.inva lid says... > "Yousuf Khan" wrote in message > news:0uSdnbXQJLm6LOXa4p2dnAA@giganews.com... > > I've even tried a different cable as suggested elsewhere in this > > thread. It didn't help. However, as I said before, going ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 26 of 26

  1. Re: Generic USB 2.0 hub showing up as USB 1.1

    In article ,
    comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips, VanguardLH@mail.invalid says...
    > "Yousuf Khan" wrote in message

    > > I've even tried a different cable as suggested elsewhere in this
    > > thread. It didn't help. However, as I said before, going into Linux
    > > and then rebooting into Windows fixes it for some inexplicable
    > > reason. So far this trick has worked 100% reliably.

    > Sounds like it is time to toss the flaky old USB hub and get an new
    > one for $7.

    I was thinking the same thing, but it sounded too simple. ;-) I
    found one model I liked (seven-ports, two on top) so bought a
    spare, just in case. I can't even buy the wall wart that came with
    it for $7.

    --
    Keith

  2. Re: Generic USB 2.0 hub showing up as USB 1.1

    VanguardLH wrote:
    > Sounds like it is time to toss the flaky old USB hub and get an new one
    > for $7.

    $7? Where can you get it for $7?

    Yousuf Khan

  3. Re: Generic USB 2.0 hub showing up as USB 1.1

    "krw" wrote in message
    news:MPG.21e38d03dbbc123b9897eb@news.individual.ne t...

    >> Vanguard said:
    >> Sounds like it is time to toss the flaky old USB hub and get an new
    >> one for $7.

    > I was thinking the same thing, but it sounded too simple. ;-) I
    > found one model I liked (seven-ports, two on top) so bought a
    > spare, just in case. I can't even buy the wall wart that came with
    > it for $7.

    There are usually price breaks for products after which the rise in
    price is almost logarithmic. 4-port USB hubs are most common and
    probably where you get the best price break per port. Of course,
    popular branding will cost you.

    A self-powered 4-port USB hub (which obviously includes the power
    adapter) starts at $5 (and Iogear is an okay brand). A 7-port USB hub
    (for a brand that I've heard of) runs about $20. It's just like CPUs:
    you'll find a sweet price break afterwhich the jumps in price far
    outstrips the meager increase in speed.

    Sounds like you're trying to replace both USB hubs with one.

  4. Re: Generic USB 2.0 hub showing up as USB 1.1

    > VanguardLH wrote:
    >>
    >> Sounds like it is time to toss the flaky old USB hub and get an new
    >> one for $7.

    > $7? Where can you get it for $7?

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...%2Dport&Page=1

    (or short URL = http://preview.tinyurl.com/3yx48d)

    However, many are bus-powered (which they misname as self-powered) or
    require the addition of an "optional" power adapter (at further
    expense, of course). I noticed the cheapest 4-port USB 2.0 hub in the
    list that includes the power adapter is $11 (but I've never heard of
    the Anywhere brand). The next one up is the Rosewill for a $1 more.
    So the $5 and $7 models are those that are bus-powered or don't
    include the power adapter, sorry. It's possible you could reuse the
    old power adapter provided it supplied the correct voltage and also
    could push out the required milliamps.

  5. Re: Generic USB 2.0 hub showing up as USB 1.1

    In article ,
    comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips, VanguardLH@mail.invalid says...
    > "krw" wrote in message
    > news:MPG.21e38d03dbbc123b9897eb@news.individual.ne t...
    > >
    > >> Vanguard said:
    > >> Sounds like it is time to toss the flaky old USB hub and get an new
    > >> one for $7.

    > > I was thinking the same thing, but it sounded too simple. ;-) I
    > > found one model I liked (seven-ports, two on top) so bought a
    > > spare, just in case. I can't even buy the wall wart that came with
    > > it for $7.

    > There are usually price breaks for products after which the rise in
    > price is almost logarithmic. 4-port USB hubs are most common and
    > probably where you get the best price break per port. Of course,
    > popular branding will cost you.

    I paid $7 for the hub *AND* wall wart. That's my point. I wasn't
    near it when I posted earlier, but it's a Belkin.

    > A self-powered 4-port USB hub (which obviously includes the power
    > adapter) starts at $5 (and Iogear is an okay brand). A 7-port USB hub
    > (for a brand that I've heard of) runs about $20. It's just like CPUs:
    > you'll find a sweet price break afterwhich the jumps in price far
    > outstrips the meager increase in speed.

    How about "Belkin"? BTW, NewEgg is Charging $30 now for the silver
    version:

    > Sounds like you're trying to replace both USB hubs with one.

    Huh? I said nothing about replacing anything. I did mention that
    I bought a spare (nice hub for what I paid, why not?).

    --
    Keith

  6. Re: Generic USB 2.0 hub showing up as USB 1.1

    "Yousuf Khan" wrote in message

    > VanguardLH wrote:
    >>
    >> Sounds like it is time to toss the flaky old USB hub and get an new
    >> one for $7.

    > $7? Where can you get it for $7?

    (Microsoft's NNTP is being stubborn again and accepting but not
    submitting some posts, so I'll try this again.)