How to sync a mobile phone with Ubuntu on connect using multisync - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on How to sync a mobile phone with Ubuntu on connect using multisync - Ubuntu ; I have a nice solution for syncing my Sony Ericsson k750i (should work with any usb connected phone supporting syncml) immediately on connect. I would be interested in hearing other solutions. Install ivman. Ivman is a generic handler for HAL ...

  1. How to sync a mobile phone with Ubuntu on connect using multisync

    I have a nice solution for syncing my Sony Ericsson k750i (should work
    with any usb connected phone supporting syncml) immediately on
    connect.

    I would be interested in hearing other solutions.

    Install ivman. Ivman is a generic handler for HAL events. In other
    words it provides an interface for the system configurator to have
    certain things happen when certain HAL events occur. Plugging in a uSB
    phone triggers just such a HAL message.

    How to see what is connected?

    Use "lshal" - this shows the devices listed in the HAL database. From
    this you can get your UID (unique id) for the device in question. In
    this case I found my phone (you need to plug it in before running
    lshal!) was : Sony_Ericsson_Sony_Ericsson_K750_***************** **_0.

    Now we need to tell Ivman to do our bidding when this device is
    connected. Its relatively easy -

    edit ~/.ivman/IvmConfigActions.xml

    In mine I have:

    My multisync is configured with a sync pair consisting of an Irmc mobile
    device and a "backup". The backup is configured in this case as a hidden
    directory "~/.k750i". The irmc mobile device is configured as connected
    by cable (usb cable in this case) on "/dev/ttyACM0". How did I find
    which serial device? I just checked the syslog (system tools/systemlog
    or /var/log/syslog) and discovered that /dev/ttyACM0 is enabled when I
    plug in my phone.

    Now, when ivman detects a device plugged in, the xml in
    IvmConfigActions.xml tells ivman to launch multisync on connection and
    to kill it (for a certain user - "pkill -u") on disconnect.

    The backup "device" (.k750i as mentioned above) now contains a fully
    synced set of vcf files.

    (I run ivman as a session for my hadron login).

    Nice.

  2. Re: How to sync a mobile phone with Ubuntu on connect using multisync

    Hadron wrote:
    > I have a nice solution for syncing my Sony Ericsson k750i (should work
    > with any usb connected phone supporting syncml) immediately on
    > connect.

    Excellent! This post can be placed in the Ubuntu and open Wiki as a
    great way for even novices to do.

    > I would be interested in hearing other solutions.

    Perhaps someone would like to script this into a nice clean applet that
    can sit in the task bar and popup when you plug in your cellphone.
    I will give it a try and see if it works with my V3c and if it does I
    will be sure to return to thank you kindly.

    FM - No Static At All

  3. Re: How to sync a mobile phone with Ubuntu on connect using multisync

    FM - No status at all writes:

    > Hadron wrote:
    >> I have a nice solution for syncing my Sony Ericsson k750i (should work
    >> with any usb connected phone supporting syncml) immediately on
    >> connect.

    > Excellent! This post can be placed in the Ubuntu and open Wiki as a
    > great way for even novices to do.

    It is cool. I am very pleased with it. Light weight and functional.

    >> I would be interested in hearing other solutions.

    > Perhaps someone would like to script this into a nice clean applet
    > that can sit in the task bar and popup when you plug in your
    > cellphone.
    > I will give it a try and see if it works with my V3c and if it does I
    > will be sure to return to thank you kindly.
    >
    > FM - No Static At All

    I'm not sure what you mean at the end. multisync DOES indeed launch when
    you plug in the phone and then sits there all the while periodically
    syncing with the phone. You can see it and configure it from the running
    app bar. When you unplug your phone multisync closes down.

    Or did you mean an applet which includes the ability to detect the
    serial port and phone UID and then automatically update the Ivman action
    XML?

    There may be better ways. All I know is that the gnome phone manager
    just sat there blinking. And as I said before, any other solutions would
    be interesting to hear of. Phone/PDA syncing on Linux is not too good
    IMO.

+ Reply to Thread