I have done something to break the sound under Gutsy Gibbon. I think
the problem began when I installed kruler but I am not sure. My machine
will dual boot Gutsy or Fedora Core 7 and the sound works fine under
Fedora so I know my hardware is okay.

I have tried going to system->preferences->sound
(gnome-sound-properties) and that doesn't solve anything. I have the
sound events, music and movies, and audio conferencing set to
autodetect. I don't understand the use of the default mixer tracks. I
can select one, but then I don't see how to manipulate it to do anything.

I have also gone applications->other->sound and
applications->other->sound system, the KDE control module. I have tried
working with /usr/bin/alsamixer, which is a vt-100 style program. I can
manipulate the controls but I can't make a beep of noise.

The KDE control module says that the sound driver is 3.8.1a-980706 (ALSA
v1.0.14 emulation code)
Kernel 2.6.22-14-generic
Config options 0

Installed drivers
type 10: ALSA emulation

Card config:
VIA 8235 with ALC650F at 0xe400 irq 21

Audio devices:
0: VIA 8235 (DUPLEX)

Synth devices: NOT ENABLED IN CONFIG
Midi devices: NOT ENABLED IN CONFIG

Timers:
31: system timer

Mixers
0: Realtek ALC650F

lspci -vv reports:
00:11.5 Multimedia audio controller: VIA Technologies, Inc.
VT8233/A/8235/8237 AC97 Audio Controller (rev 50)
Subsystem: Giga-byte Technology GA-7VAX Onboard Audio (Realtek
ALC650)
Control: I/O+ Mem- BusMaster- SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop-
ParErr- Stepping- SERR- FastB2B-

Many thanks,

Jeff Silverman