Another Successful Linux Install - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Another Successful Linux Install - Ubuntu ; Just got through installing Mint 3.0/Xfce on a Toshiba Satellite P35 with P4 processor, 1 gig memory and ATI Radeon 9600. Only had one problem: random freezes. Turned off hyprthreading (not needed for main purpose as a music server), and ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 33

Thread: Another Successful Linux Install

  1. Another Successful Linux Install

    Just got through installing Mint 3.0/Xfce on a Toshiba Satellite P35 with P4
    processor, 1 gig memory and ATI Radeon 9600. Only had one problem: random
    freezes. Turned off hyprthreading (not needed for main purpose as a music
    server), and have a great system running. That's two for two: have
    Mint/Fluxbox running on a Dell Inspiron 8600. Who says Ubuntu doesn't work
    with laptops? Oh, BTW, Google *IS* your friend. 8 )

    Thank you, Canonical!


    *R* *H*

    --
    AWAKE! FEAR! FIRE! FOES! AWAKE!
    FEAR! FIRE! FOES!
    AWAKE! AWAKE!
    -- J. R. R. Tolkien

  2. Re: Another Successful Linux Install

    Rockinghorse Winner wrote:

    > Turned off hyprthreading (not needed for main purpose as a music
    > server), and have a great system running.




    > Oh, BTW, Google IS your friend.


    Is the hyperthreading a known bug on Launchpad? If not, are you going to
    report it?

    de Kameel


  3. Re: Another Successful Linux Install

    On 28 Dec 2007 23:00:02 GMT
    Rockinghorse Winner wrote:

    > Just got through installing Mint 3.0/Xfce on a Toshiba Satellite P35 with P4
    > processor, 1 gig memory and ATI Radeon 9600. Only had one problem: random
    > freezes. Turned off hyprthreading (not needed for main purpose as a music
    > server), and have a great system running. That's two for two: have


    Any reason not to go with 4.0?

    > Mint/Fluxbox running on a Dell Inspiron 8600. Who says Ubuntu doesn't work
    > with laptops? Oh, BTW, Google *IS* your friend. 8 )


    Not me, runs better on my laptop (HP Pavilion 6000) than on my desktop.

    --
    Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

  4. Re: Another Successful Linux Install

    On Fri, 28 Dec 2007 23:00:02 +0000, Rockinghorse Winner wrote:

    > Just got through installing Mint 3.0/Xfce on a Toshiba Satellite P35
    > with P4 processor, 1 gig memory and ATI Radeon 9600. Only had one
    > problem: random freezes. Turned off hyprthreading (not needed for main
    > purpose as a music server), and have a great system running. That's two
    > for two: have Mint/Fluxbox running on a Dell Inspiron 8600. Who says
    > Ubuntu doesn't work with laptops? Oh, BTW, Google *IS* your friend. 8 )
    >
    > Thank you, Canonical!
    >
    >
    > *R* *H*


    I have Gutsy running fine on a Toshiba A215-S4697 laptop. The install
    wasn't plug-n-play, but it wasn't difficult to get the information I
    needed.

    For instance, the wireless device is a newer Atheros chipset on a mini-
    PCI. It is not covered by madwifi, so I needed to install ndiswrapper
    and the Win driver. Took about 5 minutes.

    Also had a problem with sound. The Sound card worked fine, but if you
    plugged in headphones, the internal speakers would not mute. Kinda
    defeated the purpose of using headphones. But an upgrade to alsa, using
    the scripts at
    http://www.antonywilliams.com/2007/1...ate-compiling-
    alsa.html
    (http://tinyurl.com/225x8c)
    Took care of the issue. Or, at least mostly. It added a separate volume
    control for the headphones, allowing me to manually mute the speakers,
    while using the headphones, which is an acceptable solution to me.

    Otherwise, everything was just fine, and continues to be.

    Oddly enough, Vista came pre-loaded on the machine, and is still there in
    a dual-boot, and it doesn't work nearly as well. It is slow, and the
    wireless doesn't connect automatically, no matter what you do. Have to
    manually connect it each time. Pain in the nads...


    --
    Joe - Linux User #449481/Ubuntu User #19733
    joe at hits - buffalo dot com
    "Hate is baggage, life is too short to go around pissed off all the
    time..." - Danny, American History X

  5. Re: Another Successful Linux Install

    On Fri, 28 Dec 2007 18:53:56 -0600, Joe wrote:

    > On Fri, 28 Dec 2007 23:00:02 +0000, Rockinghorse Winner wrote:
    >
    >> Just got through installing Mint 3.0/Xfce on a Toshiba Satellite P35
    >> with P4 processor, 1 gig memory and ATI Radeon 9600. Only had one
    >> problem: random freezes. Turned off hyprthreading (not needed for main
    >> purpose as a music server), and have a great system running. That's two
    >> for two: have Mint/Fluxbox running on a Dell Inspiron 8600. Who says
    >> Ubuntu doesn't work with laptops? Oh, BTW, Google *IS* your friend. 8
    >> )
    >>
    >> Thank you, Canonical!
    >>
    >>
    >> *R* *H*

    >
    > I have Gutsy running fine on a Toshiba A215-S4697 laptop. The install
    > wasn't plug-n-play, but it wasn't difficult to get the information I
    > needed.
    >
    > For instance, the wireless device is a newer Atheros chipset on a mini-
    > PCI. It is not covered by madwifi, so I needed to install ndiswrapper
    > and the Win driver. Took about 5 minutes.
    >
    > Also had a problem with sound. The Sound card worked fine, but if you
    > plugged in headphones, the internal speakers would not mute. Kinda
    > defeated the purpose of using headphones. But an upgrade to alsa, using
    > the scripts at
    > http://www.antonywilliams.com/2007/1...ate-compiling-
    > alsa.html
    > (http://tinyurl.com/225x8c)
    > Took care of the issue. Or, at least mostly. It added a separate
    > volume control for the headphones, allowing me to manually mute the
    > speakers, while using the headphones, which is an acceptable solution to
    > me.
    >
    > Otherwise, everything was just fine, and continues to be.
    >
    > Oddly enough, Vista came pre-loaded on the machine, and is still there
    > in a dual-boot, and it doesn't work nearly as well. It is slow, and the
    > wireless doesn't connect automatically, no matter what you do. Have to
    > manually connect it each time. Pain in the nads...


    Not oddly enough Joe! Unlike Microsoft, the Ubuntu installer respects
    other operating systems and doesn't wipe them off the system unless you
    explicitly ask it to.

    However, there is nothing odd about it not working as well. That part is
    designed in by Microsoft. =)

    --
    Stephan
    2003 Yamaha R6

    君の事思い出す日なんてないのは
    君の事忘れたときがないから

  6. Re: Another Successful Linux Install

    On Sat, 29 Dec 2007 05:03:48 -0600, Stephan Rose wrote:

    >
    > Not oddly enough Joe! Unlike Microsoft, the Ubuntu installer respects
    > other operating systems and doesn't wipe them off the system unless you
    > explicitly ask it to.
    >
    > However, there is nothing odd about it not working as well. That part is
    > designed in by Microsoft. =)


    The "oddly enough" part was about how wireless doesn't work very well in
    Vista, where it has native drivers, but works just fine in Linux, using
    Windows drivers.

    I let Vista keep 40G and boot into it when I need to update my Garmin or
    my Logitech Remote. Otherwise, it is just dead space... ;-)




    --
    Joe - Linux User #449481/Ubuntu User #19733
    joe at hits - buffalo dot com
    "Hate is baggage, life is too short to go around pissed off all the
    time..." - Danny, American History X

  7. Re: Another Successful Linux Install

    Joe writes:

    > On Sat, 29 Dec 2007 05:03:48 -0600, Stephan Rose wrote:
    >
    >>
    >> Not oddly enough Joe! Unlike Microsoft, the Ubuntu installer respects
    >> other operating systems and doesn't wipe them off the system unless you
    >> explicitly ask it to.
    >>
    >> However, there is nothing odd about it not working as well. That part is
    >> designed in by Microsoft. =)

    >
    > The "oddly enough" part was about how wireless doesn't work very well in
    > Vista, where it has native drivers, but works just fine in Linux, using
    > Windows drivers.


    There are thousands of people having issues with Wireless in Linux as
    you well know. We help people with those issues daily here as you should
    be aware. Certainly Windows (of all types) supports Wireless on a far
    wider range of wireless chipsets than Linux does (even in your comment
    you mention using the windows drivers). It is sage advice to suggest to
    new Linux users to pick their wireless HW with care - it is
    irresponsible to claim that Linux has better Wireless support - that is
    simply not true.

    > I let Vista keep 40G and boot into it when I need to update my Garmin or
    > my Logitech Remote. Otherwise, it is just dead space... ;-)


    Surely there are Linux apps to do that?

  8. Re: Another Successful Linux Install

    On Sat, 29 Dec 2007 12:15:13 +0100, Hadron wrote:

    > Joe writes:
    >
    >> On Sat, 29 Dec 2007 05:03:48 -0600, Stephan Rose wrote:
    >>
    >>
    >>> Not oddly enough Joe! Unlike Microsoft, the Ubuntu installer respects
    >>> other operating systems and doesn't wipe them off the system unless
    >>> you explicitly ask it to.
    >>>
    >>> However, there is nothing odd about it not working as well. That part
    >>> is designed in by Microsoft. =)

    >>
    >> The "oddly enough" part was about how wireless doesn't work very well
    >> in Vista, where it has native drivers, but works just fine in Linux,
    >> using Windows drivers.

    >
    > There are thousands of people having issues with Wireless in Linux as
    > you well know. We help people with those issues daily here as you should
    > be aware. Certainly Windows (of all types) supports Wireless on a far
    > wider range of wireless chipsets than Linux does (even in your comment
    > you mention using the windows drivers). It is sage advice to suggest to
    > new Linux users to pick their wireless HW with care - it is
    > irresponsible to claim that Linux has better Wireless support - that is
    > simply not true.


    That doesn't change the fact that Vista is dumber than a brick and can't
    automatically connect to a wireless network. This is not the first time
    I've read about that.


    --
    Stephan
    2003 Yamaha R6

    君の事思い出す日なんてないのは
    君の事忘れたときがないから

  9. Re: Another Successful Linux Install

    Stephan Rose wrote:
    > On Sat, 29 Dec 2007 12:15:13 +0100, Hadron wrote:
    >
    >> Joe writes:
    >>
    >>> On Sat, 29 Dec 2007 05:03:48 -0600, Stephan Rose wrote:
    >>>
    >>>
    >>>> Not oddly enough Joe! Unlike Microsoft, the Ubuntu installer respects
    >>>> other operating systems and doesn't wipe them off the system unless
    >>>> you explicitly ask it to.
    >>>>
    >>>> However, there is nothing odd about it not working as well. That part
    >>>> is designed in by Microsoft. =)
    >>> The "oddly enough" part was about how wireless doesn't work very well
    >>> in Vista, where it has native drivers, but works just fine in Linux,
    >>> using Windows drivers.

    >> There are thousands of people having issues with Wireless in Linux as
    >> you well know. We help people with those issues daily here as you should
    >> be aware. Certainly Windows (of all types) supports Wireless on a far
    >> wider range of wireless chipsets than Linux does (even in your comment
    >> you mention using the windows drivers). It is sage advice to suggest to
    >> new Linux users to pick their wireless HW with care - it is
    >> irresponsible to claim that Linux has better Wireless support - that is
    >> simply not true.

    >
    > That doesn't change the fact that Vista is dumber than a brick and can't
    > automatically connect to a wireless network. This is not the first time
    > I've read about that.
    >
    >


    That's one the new built in safety features. So beit on your own head if
    you connect it to the web ;-)

    Ram

  10. Re: Another Successful Linux Install

    Stephan Rose writes:

    > On Sat, 29 Dec 2007 12:15:13 +0100, Hadron wrote:
    >
    >> Joe writes:
    >>
    >>> On Sat, 29 Dec 2007 05:03:48 -0600, Stephan Rose wrote:
    >>>
    >>>
    >>>> Not oddly enough Joe! Unlike Microsoft, the Ubuntu installer respects
    >>>> other operating systems and doesn't wipe them off the system unless
    >>>> you explicitly ask it to.
    >>>>
    >>>> However, there is nothing odd about it not working as well. That part
    >>>> is designed in by Microsoft. =)
    >>>
    >>> The "oddly enough" part was about how wireless doesn't work very well
    >>> in Vista, where it has native drivers, but works just fine in Linux,
    >>> using Windows drivers.

    >>
    >> There are thousands of people having issues with Wireless in Linux as
    >> you well know. We help people with those issues daily here as you should
    >> be aware. Certainly Windows (of all types) supports Wireless on a far
    >> wider range of wireless chipsets than Linux does (even in your comment
    >> you mention using the windows drivers). It is sage advice to suggest to
    >> new Linux users to pick their wireless HW with care - it is
    >> irresponsible to claim that Linux has better Wireless support - that is
    >> simply not true.

    >
    > That doesn't change the fact that Vista is dumber than a brick and can't
    > automatically connect to a wireless network. This is not the first time
    > I've read about that.


    I don't know. I just get a little sick of extravagant claims in here by
    people that have about as much of a clue about Vista as I do. All I know
    is that all the people I know who use it say it "just works" as most MS
    OSs do for the masses (ignoring stability issues for now). Claiming here
    that Vista wireless doesn't work is not Linux advocacy or ubuntu
    support, it's fanboy dream world and pom pom waving - something Joe
    seems to excel at from what I can understand of his posts.

  11. Re: Another Successful Linux Install

    Ram writes:

    > Stephan Rose wrote:
    >> On Sat, 29 Dec 2007 12:15:13 +0100, Hadron wrote:
    >>
    >>> Joe writes:
    >>>
    >>>> On Sat, 29 Dec 2007 05:03:48 -0600, Stephan Rose wrote:
    >>>>
    >>>>
    >>>>> Not oddly enough Joe! Unlike Microsoft, the Ubuntu installer respects
    >>>>> other operating systems and doesn't wipe them off the system unless
    >>>>> you explicitly ask it to.
    >>>>>
    >>>>> However, there is nothing odd about it not working as well. That part
    >>>>> is designed in by Microsoft. =)
    >>>> The "oddly enough" part was about how wireless doesn't work very well
    >>>> in Vista, where it has native drivers, but works just fine in Linux,
    >>>> using Windows drivers.
    >>> There are thousands of people having issues with Wireless in Linux as
    >>> you well know. We help people with those issues daily here as you should
    >>> be aware. Certainly Windows (of all types) supports Wireless on a far
    >>> wider range of wireless chipsets than Linux does (even in your comment
    >>> you mention using the windows drivers). It is sage advice to suggest to
    >>> new Linux users to pick their wireless HW with care - it is
    >>> irresponsible to claim that Linux has better Wireless support - that is
    >>> simply not true.

    >>
    >> That doesn't change the fact that Vista is dumber than a brick and
    >> can't automatically connect to a wireless network. This is not the
    >> first time I've read about that.
    >>
    >>

    >
    > That's one the new built in safety features. So beit on your own head
    > if you connect it to the web ;-)


    Yes, but bias and joking aside, it is, of course, total bull****. I
    thought I would follow this up.

    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l.../bb878035.aspx

    It really is that simple. Connect to the network manually using the
    "Connect to" network wizard where all parameters required are prompted
    for and then ask if you want to auto connect in the future.

    It really could not be simpler.

    And this is not me supporting Windows - it's just suggesting that
    telling lies and propagating urban myths does nothing whatsoever to
    further the Linux cause. It just makes Linux users look like a bunch of
    paranoid kooks who are so far behind the times that anything they say is
    suspect at best.

    Keep it real people.

  12. Re: Another Successful Linux Install

    Stephan Rose wrote:

    > That doesn't change the fact that Vista is dumber than a brick and can't
    > automatically connect to a wireless network. This is not the first time
    > I've read about that.


    There are (apparently) endless calls to the MS "helpdesk" about the failing
    wireless in Vista.

    The other (possibly bigger) issue is the way Vista deliberately cripples all
    networking whilst playing CDs or DVDs on the assumption that the user is
    probably trying to fileshare them!

    C.


  13. Re: Another Successful Linux Install

    Christopher Hunter writes:

    > Stephan Rose wrote:
    >
    >> That doesn't change the fact that Vista is dumber than a brick and can't
    >> automatically connect to a wireless network. This is not the first time
    >> I've read about that.

    >
    > There are (apparently) endless calls to the MS "helpdesk" about the failing
    > wireless in Vista.
    >
    > The other (possibly bigger) issue is the way Vista deliberately cripples all
    > networking whilst playing CDs or DVDs on the assumption that the user is
    > probably trying to fileshare them!


    Interesting. I would be interested in seeing a link to something which
    verifies that since I am highly dubious that even MS would be that
    stupid. Especially since anyone but you would be aware that you don't,
    generally, file share directly from a cd or dvd ....

    Or are you posting misleading information based on the acknowledged bug
    that networking can slow down when playing a DVD?

    ,----
    | Mark Russinovich, a major Microsoft techie, today acknowledged a bug
    | with Vista's network programming that can noticeably slow down file
    | transfers on a local network if you play music at the same time.
    `----

    http://blogs.pcworld.com/staffblog/archives/005270.html

    ,----
    | But you shouldn't notice any slowdown for Internet
    | downloads. Russinovich writes that "despite even this level of
    | throttling, Internet traffic, even on the best broadband connection, won’
    | t be affected. That’s because the multiplicity of intermediate
    | connections between your system and another one on the Internet
    | fragments packets and slows down packet travel, and therefore reduces
    | the rate at which systems transfer data."
    `----

    As usual, the difference between your claims and the facts suggest a
    certain inability on your part or a deliberate munging of the facts. I
    wonder which it is?






  14. Re: Another Successful Linux Install

    On Sat, 29 Dec 2007 12:53:13 +0100
    Hadron wrote:

    > It really is that simple. Connect to the network manually using the
    > "Connect to" network wizard where all parameters required are prompted
    > for and then ask if you want to auto connect in the future.
    >
    > It really could not be simpler.


    Unless you change one of the parameters from the router end then Vista
    just sits there in a sulk instead of re-prompting you for the correct
    information like Ubuntu does.

    > And this is not me supporting Windows - it's just suggesting that
    > telling lies and propagating urban myths does nothing whatsoever to
    > further the Linux cause. It just makes Linux users look like a bunch of
    > paranoid kooks who are so far behind the times that anything they say is
    > suspect at best.
    >
    > Keep it real people.


    This is real (as is everything I post about Windows or Ubuntu that
    doesn't work on my systems BTW) I randomly get problems connecting to
    wired networks in Vista. Happened at first in a company I was working
    at trying to connect to their outside internet link (not allowed to
    connect my laptop to their internal network) it got a DHCP address but
    the wrong gateway. When setting the IP manually to a class A (10.*)
    address "IPCONFIG" told me the address was 169.*.

    A couple of days later, at my own office where we have DHCP and
    class C addresses (192.*) I was suddenly unable to connect any network
    drives, this is half way through a session, hadn't rebooted or
    anything. All of the sudden my IP address was the 10.* manual one I had
    entered a week before at the other office even though the settings said
    it was using DHCP (our DCHP leases don't expire either so there was
    no reason to renew by itself).

    And don't say its only people in this ng that have problems in Windows
    like you normally do, there's a google out there you can see for
    yourself other people who've never tried Linux have problems with it
    too.

    --
    Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

  15. Re: Another Successful Linux Install

    On Sat, 29 Dec 2007 12:48:39 +0100
    Hadron wrote:

    > I don't know. I just get a little sick of extravagant claims in here by
    > people that have about as much of a clue about Vista as I do. All I know
    > is that all the people I know who use it say it "just works" as most MS
    > OSs do for the masses (ignoring stability issues for now). Claiming here
    > that Vista wireless doesn't work is not Linux advocacy or ubuntu
    > support, it's fanboy dream world and pom pom waving - something Joe
    > seems to excel at from what I can understand of his posts.


    Go to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general and search for "wireless",
    you'll see users having wireless networking problems. They do exist and
    remember the number of Vista users on Usenet is probably only a small
    percentage, a lot have been brainwashed since Windows 95 into thing
    "The internet" is the IE icon.

    --
    Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

  16. Re: Another Successful Linux Install

    Trevor Best writes:

    > On Sat, 29 Dec 2007 12:48:39 +0100
    > Hadron wrote:
    >
    >> I don't know. I just get a little sick of extravagant claims in here by
    >> people that have about as much of a clue about Vista as I do. All I know
    >> is that all the people I know who use it say it "just works" as most MS
    >> OSs do for the masses (ignoring stability issues for now). Claiming here
    >> that Vista wireless doesn't work is not Linux advocacy or ubuntu
    >> support, it's fanboy dream world and pom pom waving - something Joe
    >> seems to excel at from what I can understand of his posts.

    >
    > Go to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general and search for "wireless",
    > you'll see users having wireless networking problems. They do exist
    > and


    Yes. I know "they exist". All SW has problems. Users will always manage
    to mess things up. Good SW has usability tests to ensure that most
    commonly found user tendencies are coded for. But not all are found.

    The issue is here, which you snipped, is the claim that Vista can not
    connect to wireless networks as well as Linux. That is
    garbage. Sorry. But it is. Yes, there are issues. Of course there are
    issues.


    > remember the number of Vista users on Usenet is probably only a small
    > percentage, a lot have been brainwashed since Windows 95 into thing
    > "The internet" is the IE icon.


    Yes, well. I'm not sure I understand what you mean there.

    --
    La indigestión es la encargada de predicar la moral al estómago.
    -- Victor Hugo. (1802-1885) Novelista francés.

  17. Re: Another Successful Linux Install

    On Sat, 29 Dec 2007 15:10:05 +0100
    Hadron wrote:

    > The issue is here, which you snipped, is the claim that Vista can not
    > connect to wireless networks as well as Linux. That is
    > garbage. Sorry. But it is. Yes, there are issues. Of course there are
    > issues.


    I don't see where that claim was made, you've referred to it quite
    obsessively in this thread. The nearest thing I can see is Joe's one
    example on his laptop, which I don't see where he said this was typical
    of all Windows installs. Again, you seem to be reading more into what
    was said. Joe actually said "oddly enough", which would appear to
    suggest this was an odd occurrence rather than a common one.

    >
    > > remember the number of Vista users on Usenet is probably only a small
    > > percentage, a lot have been brainwashed since Windows 95 into thing
    > > "The internet" is the IE icon.

    >
    > Yes, well. I'm not sure I understand what you mean there.
    >


    Meaning the majority of Vista users don't use Usenet at all so their
    problems won't be found in that ng.

    --
    Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

  18. Re: Another Successful Linux Install

    Trevor Best writes:

    > On Sat, 29 Dec 2007 15:10:05 +0100
    > Hadron wrote:
    >
    >> The issue is here, which you snipped, is the claim that Vista can not
    >> connect to wireless networks as well as Linux. That is
    >> garbage. Sorry. But it is. Yes, there are issues. Of course there are
    >> issues.

    >
    > I don't see where that claim was made, you've referred to it quite
    > obsessively in this thread. The nearest thing I can see is Joe's one


    Oh for goodness sake. You are either unwilling to understand what is
    said or you refuse to read what it written. You constantly pull this
    one. I can't be arsed dealing with your blatant revisionism and snipping
    after this. Here. Same thread:


    ,----
    | >>> The "oddly enough" part was about how wireless doesn't work very well
    | >>> in Vista, where it has native drivers, but works just fine in Linux,
    | >>> using Windows drivers.
    `----

    ,----
    | That doesn't change the fact that Vista is dumber than a brick and can't
    | automatically connect to a wireless network. This is not the first time
    | I've read about that.
    `----

    ,----
    | The other (possibly bigger) issue is the way Vista deliberately cripples all
    | networking whilst playing CDs or DVDs on the assumption that the user is
    | probably trying to fileshare them!
    `----

    I think that will do for now.

  19. Re: Another Successful Linux Install

    Hadron wrote:

    >> The other (possibly bigger) issue is the way Vista deliberately cripples
    >> all networking whilst playing CDs or DVDs on the assumption that the user
    >> is probably trying to fileshare them!

    >
    > Interesting. I would be interested in seeing a link to something which
    > verifies that since I am highly dubious that even MS would be that
    > stupid.


    I don't usually feed trolls, but since you asked:

    http://www.cs.auckland.ac.nz/~pgut00...ista_cost.html

    It's a good read, and will amply demonstrate the lengths to which MS will go
    to try to appease Hollywood. It also shows a number of the other failings
    in MS' new "operating system".

    C.


  20. Re: Another Successful Linux Install

    Christopher Hunter writes:

    > Hadron wrote:
    >
    >>> The other (possibly bigger) issue is the way Vista deliberately cripples
    >>> all networking whilst playing CDs or DVDs on the assumption that the user
    >>> is probably trying to fileshare them!

    >>
    >> Interesting. I would be interested in seeing a link to something which
    >> verifies that since I am highly dubious that even MS would be that
    >> stupid.

    >
    > I don't usually feed trolls, but since you asked:
    >
    > http://www.cs.auckland.ac.nz/~pgut00...ista_cost.html


    You realise that garbage (propagated by that moron CBFalconer) has been
    repeatedly debunked?

    There is no mention whatsoever of "all networking being deliberately
    crippled" while playing a CD or DVD there whatsoever anyway.

    Way to go conspiracy boy.

    >
    > It's a good read, and will amply demonstrate the lengths to which MS
    > will go


    A good read to a complete and utter one eyed cretin with a MS hating
    agenda. What did they do to you at MS where you claim to have
    contributed so much code? Did they give you a wedgy and paint your balls
    black for being in incompetent nerd and send you packing? Do tell. I'm
    dying to hear why you hate them so much despite you being their chief
    programmer for so long.

    > to try to appease Hollywood. It also shows a number of the other failings
    > in MS' new "operating system".


    You get worse. Seek help.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast