Another Successful Linux Install - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Another Successful Linux Install - Ubuntu ; In alt.os.linux.ubuntu, Stephan Rose had the audacity to say that: > On Sat, 29 Dec 2007 12:15:13 +0100, Hadron wrote: > >> Joe writes: >> >>> On Sat, 29 Dec 2007 05:03:48 -0600, Stephan Rose wrote: >>> >>> >>>> Not ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 33 of 33

  1. Re: Another Successful Linux Install

    In alt.os.linux.ubuntu, Stephan Rose had the audacity to say that:

    > On Sat, 29 Dec 2007 12:15:13 +0100, Hadron wrote:
    >
    >> Joe writes:

    >>> The "oddly enough" part was about how wireless doesn't work very well
    >>> in Vista, where it has native drivers, but works just fine in Linux,
    >>> using Windows drivers.

    >> There are thousands of people having issues with Wireless in Linux as
    >> you well know. We help people with those issues daily here as you should
    >> be aware. Certainly Windows (of all types) supports Wireless on a far
    >> wider range of wireless chipsets than Linux does (even in your comment
    >> you mention using the windows drivers). It is sage advice to suggest to
    >> new Linux users to pick their wireless HW with care - it is
    >> irresponsible to claim that Linux has better Wireless support - that is
    >> simply not true.

    > That doesn't change the fact that Vista is dumber than a brick and can't
    > automatically connect to a wireless network. This is not the first time
    > I've read about that.

    The real bummer is that Windows can't be *fixed* when something is borked.
    9 times out of 10, You're stuck with what you got: I salute the brave soul
    willing to get neck deep in *that* morass!

    *R* *H*

    --
    AWAKE! FEAR! FIRE! FOES! AWAKE!
    FEAR! FIRE! FOES!

  2. Re: Another Successful Linux Install

    On Sat, 29 Dec 2007 21:23:25 +0000, Christopher Hunter wrote:

    > Hadron wrote:
    >
    >> Way to go conspiracy boy.

    > If you can, *read* the article.
    >
    >> A good read to a complete and utter one eyed cretin with a MS hating
    >> agenda.

    > Are you describing yourself?

    I don't know if Hadron could be described as MS hating.

    Loving might be more accurate...he sure does go through great lengths to
    defend Vista and MS around here.

    --
    Stephan
    2003 Yamaha R6

    君の事思い出す日なんてないのは
    君の事忘れたときがないから

  3. Re: Another Successful Linux Install

    Trevor Best wrote:
    > Hadron wrote:
    >
    >> I don't know. I just get a little sick of extravagant claims in
    >> here by people that have about as much of a clue about Vista as
    >> I do. All I know is that all the people I know who use it say it
    >> "just works" as most MS OSs do for the masses (ignoring stability
    >> issues for now). Claiming here that Vista wireless doesn't work
    >> is not Linux advocacy or ubuntu support, it's fanboy dream world
    >> and pom pom waving - something Joe seems to excel at from what I
    >> can understand of his posts.

    > Go to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general and search for
    > "wireless", you'll see users having wireless networking problems.
    > They do exist and remember the number of Vista users on Usenet is
    > probably only a small percentage, a lot have been brainwashed
    > since Windows 95 into thing "The internet" is the IE icon.

    Try the following URLs for some Vista problem descriptions:

    Joyeux Noel, Bonne Annee, Frohe Weihnachten

  4. Re: Another Successful Linux Install

    On Sat, 29 Dec 2007 12:15:13 +0100, Hadron wrote:

    > Joe writes:
    >
    >> On Sat, 29 Dec 2007 05:03:48 -0600, Stephan Rose wrote:
    >>

    >>> Not oddly enough Joe! Unlike Microsoft, the Ubuntu installer respects
    >>> other operating systems and doesn't wipe them off the system unless
    >>> you explicitly ask it to.
    >>>
    >>> However, there is nothing odd about it not working as well. That part
    >>> is designed in by Microsoft. =)

    >> The "oddly enough" part was about how wireless doesn't work very well
    >> in Vista, where it has native drivers, but works just fine in Linux,
    >> using Windows drivers.

    > There are thousands of people having issues with Wireless in Linux as
    > you well know. We help people with those issues daily here as you should
    > be aware. Certainly Windows (of all types) supports Wireless on a far
    > wider range of wireless chipsets than Linux does (even in your comment
    > you mention using the windows drivers). It is sage advice to suggest to
    > new Linux users to pick their wireless HW with care - it is
    > irresponsible to claim that Linux has better Wireless support - that is
    > simply not true.

    Now there you go putting words in my mouth. I never said what you infer
    I said. My advise to those buying a wireless card is to always find a
    compatible card first, but you already know that.

    On MY laptop, though, the Vista wireless drivers suck. The Windows
    driver being used for Linux is an XP driver, and is MUCH more stable.

    >> I let Vista keep 40G and boot into it when I need to update my Garmin
    >> or my Logitech Remote. Otherwise, it is just dead space... ;-)

    > Surely there are Linux apps to do that?

    Nope. There are apps that can communicate with some Garmin GPS', but
    none that do the map updates from Garmin. And I've found nothing for the
    Logitech Harmony remotes. Minor nuisance... Just like you...

    --
    Joe - Linux User #449481/Ubuntu User #19733
    joe at hits - buffalo dot com

  5. Re: Another Successful Linux Install

    On Sat, 29 Dec 2007 12:48:39 +0100, Hadron wrote:

    > Stephan Rose writes:

    >>> There are thousands of people having issues with Wireless in Linux as
    >>> you well know. We help people with those issues daily here as you
    >>> should be aware. Certainly Windows (of all types) supports Wireless on
    >>> a far wider range of wireless chipsets than Linux does (even in your
    >>> comment you mention using the windows drivers). It is sage advice to
    >>> suggest to new Linux users to pick their wireless HW with care - it is
    >>> irresponsible to claim that Linux has better Wireless support - that
    >>> is simply not true.

    >> That doesn't change the fact that Vista is dumber than a brick and
    >> can't automatically connect to a wireless network. This is not the
    >> first time I've read about that.

    > I don't know. I just get a little sick of extravagant claims in here by
    > people that have about as much of a clue about Vista as I do. All I know
    > is that all the people I know who use it say it "just works" as most MS
    > OSs do for the masses (ignoring stability issues for now). Claiming here
    > that Vista wireless doesn't work is not Linux advocacy or ubuntu
    > support, it's fanboy dream world and pom pom waving - something Joe
    > seems to excel at from what I can understand of his posts.

    I thought you were killfiling me, Liar.

    And if that is what you understand of my posts, then you obviously have a
    very low level of reading comprehension. I have been supporting Windows,
    Novell and *nix networks for many years. Windows has many problems. So
    does Linux. This is a Linux group, so there is no point in bandying
    about the good points of Windows here (though Vista has relatively few).

    --
    Joe - Linux User #449481/Ubuntu User #19733
    joe at hits - buffalo dot com
    time..." - Danny, American History X

  6. Re: Another Successful Linux Install

    It's not snipped, you dip****. It was never posted in the first place.

    --
    Joe - Linux User #449481/Ubuntu User #19733
    joe at hits - buffalo dot com
    time..." - Danny, American History X

  7. Re: Another Successful Linux Install

    On Sat, 29 Dec 2007 15:42:37 +0100, Hadron wrote:

    > Trevor Best writes:
    >
    >> On Sat, 29 Dec 2007 15:10:05 +0100
    >> Hadron wrote:
    >>
    >>> The issue is here, which you snipped, is the claim that Vista can not
    >>> connect to wireless networks as well as Linux. That is garbage. Sorry.
    >>> But it is. Yes, there are issues. Of course there are issues.

    >> I don't see where that claim was made, you've referred to it quite
    >> obsessively in this thread. The nearest thing I can see is Joe's one

    > Oh for goodness sake. You are either unwilling to understand what is
    > said or you refuse to read what it written. You constantly pull this
    > one. I can't be arsed dealing with your blatant revisionism and snipping
    > after this. Here. Same thread:
    >

    > ,----
    > well | >>> in Vista, where it has native drivers, but works just fine in
    > Linux, | >>> using Windows drivers.
    > `----

    Only this one is actually mine, and was referring directly to MY laptop,
    and how it is odd that the wireless sucks on it, while working much
    better in Linux using WinXP drivers. Creative cutting and pasting,
    though...

    > I think that will do for now.

    Sure will. You have already proved what a liar and an idiot you are...

    --
    Joe - Linux User #449481/Ubuntu User #19733
    joe at hits - buffalo dot com
    time..." - Danny, American History X

  8. Re: Another Successful Linux Install

    On Sat, 29 Dec 2007 20:45:18 -0500
    CBFalconer wrote:

    > Try the following URLs for some Vista problem descriptions:

    You've moved them out of your double sig into the body, kewl :-)

    --
    Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

  9. Re: Another Successful Linux Install

    Trevor Best writes:

    > On Sat, 29 Dec 2007 20:45:18 -0500
    > CBFalconer wrote:
    >

    >> Try the following URLs for some Vista problem descriptions:
    >>

    > You've moved them out of your double sig into the body, kewl :-)

    Only while he has his Christmas double sig I daresay.

    However, the real unny thing is that Falconer uses Win98.

  10. Re: Another Successful Linux Install

    CBFalconer writes:

    > Trevor Best wrote:
    >> Hadron wrote:
    >>
    >>> I don't know. I just get a little sick of extravagant claims in
    >>> here by people that have about as much of a clue about Vista as
    >>> I do. All I know is that all the people I know who use it say it
    >>> "just works" as most MS OSs do for the masses (ignoring stability
    >>> issues for now). Claiming here that Vista wireless doesn't work
    >>> is not Linux advocacy or ubuntu support, it's fanboy dream world
    >>> and pom pom waving - something Joe seems to excel at from what I
    >>> can understand of his posts.

    >> Go to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general and search for
    >> "wireless", you'll see users having wireless networking problems.
    >> They do exist and remember the number of Vista users on Usenet is
    >> probably only a small percentage, a lot have been brainwashed
    >> since Windows 95 into thing "The internet" is the IE icon.

    > Try the following URLs for some Vista problem descriptions:
    >

    > --
    > Merry Christmas, Happy Hanukah, Happy New Year
    > Joyeux Noel, Bonne Annee, Frohe Weihnachten

    Try this you windows using hypocrite:

    http://tinyurl.com/yu9ex7

    See? All SW has issues. You know nothing about Linux, you know less
    about Windows. Why do you do this to yourself?

    Dan C had you pegged very quickly.

  11. Re: Another Successful Linux Install

    Joe wrote:

    > On Sat, 29 Dec 2007 15:42:37 +0100, Hadron wrote:
    >
    >> Trevor Best writes:

    >>> I don't see where that claim was made, you've referred to it quite
    >>> obsessively in this thread. The nearest thing I can see is Joe's one

    >> Oh for goodness sake. You are either unwilling to understand what is
    >> said or you refuse to read what it written. You constantly pull this
    >> one. I can't be arsed dealing with your blatant revisionism and snipping
    >> after this. Here. Same thread:
    >>

    >> ,----
    >> well | >>> in Vista, where it has native drivers, but works just fine in
    >> Linux, | >>> using Windows drivers.
    >> `----

    > Only this one is actually mine, and was referring directly to MY laptop,
    > and how it is odd that the wireless sucks on it, while working much
    > better in Linux using WinXP drivers. Creative cutting and pasting,
    > though...

    Yep, that's what Hardon excels at. He's here to moan and groan and generally
    raise ****. A true troll.

    >> I think that will do for now.

    > Sure will. You have already proved what a liar and an idiot you are...

    Agreed. Time to move on.

    Cheers.

    --
    Boot It Up!
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=-kql8cWqiv8

  12. Re: Another Successful Linux Install

    In alt.os.linux.ubuntu, De Kameel had the audacity to say that:

    > Rockinghorse Winner wrote:
    >
    >> Turned off hyprthreading (not needed for main purpose as a music
    >> server), and have a great system running.

    >> Oh, BTW, Google IS your friend.

    > Is the hyperthreading a known bug on Launchpad? If not, are you going to
    > report it?
    >
    > de Kameel

    Reported it on Mint Forums. No replies as yet

    *R* *H*

    --
    AWAKE! FEAR! FIRE! FOES! AWAKE!
    FEAR! FIRE! FOES!

  13. Re: Another Successful Linux Install

    On Mon, 31 Dec 2007 23:00:03 +0000, Rockinghorse Winner wrote:

    > In alt.os.linux.ubuntu, De Kameel had the audacity to say that:
    >
    >> Rockinghorse Winner wrote:
    >>
    >>> Turned off hyprthreading (not needed for main purpose as a music
    >>> server), and have a great system running.

    >>> Oh, BTW, Google IS your friend.

    >> Is the hyperthreading a known bug on Launchpad? If not, are you going
    >> to report it?
    >>
    >> de Kameel
    >>

    > Reported it on Mint Forums. No replies as yet
    >
    > *R* *H*

    Launchpad is much more likely to get a fast response...