Burning a DVD for a DVD player - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Burning a DVD for a DVD player - Ubuntu ; I need to make a DVD which is playable on a DVD player vs computer. I have Gutsy with k3b and k9copy. I have a working .avi file and want to make it playable on a DVD player attached to ...

  1. Burning a DVD for a DVD player

    I need to make a DVD which is playable on a DVD player vs computer.

    I have Gutsy with k3b and k9copy.

    I have a working .avi file and want to make it playable on a DVD
    player attached to a TV.

    It was possible in Nero on W$, but haven't discovered how to do it in
    Linux yet.

    There is a thread here from early Dec, and one in Mid Nov discussing
    DVD burning utilities, but no discussion in the forums on making a DVD
    like this.

    Looking forward to some assistance.

    Cheers,

  2. Re: Burning a DVD for a DVD player

    Coffeeman wrote:
    > I need to make a DVD which is playable on a DVD player vs computer.
    >
    > I have Gutsy with k3b and k9copy.
    >
    > I have a working .avi file and want to make it playable on a DVD
    > player attached to a TV.
    >
    > It was possible in Nero on W$, but haven't discovered how to do it in
    > Linux yet.
    >
    > There is a thread here from early Dec, and one in Mid Nov discussing
    > DVD burning utilities, but no discussion in the forums on making a DVD
    > like this.
    >
    > Looking forward to some assistance.
    >
    > Cheers,

    Give DeVeDe a try. It's in the repos

    Ram

  3. Re: Burning a DVD for a DVD player

    Ram schreef:
    > Coffeeman wrote:
    >> I need to make a DVD which is playable on a DVD player vs computer.
    >>
    >> I have Gutsy with k3b and k9copy.
    >> I have a working .avi file and want to make it playable on a DVD
    >> player attached to a TV.
    >>
    >> It was possible in Nero on W$, but haven't discovered how to do it in
    >> Linux yet.
    >> There is a thread here from early Dec, and one in Mid Nov discussing
    >> DVD burning utilities, but no discussion in the forums on making a DVD
    >> like this.
    >>
    >> Looking forward to some assistance.
    >>
    >> Cheers,
    >>

    > Give DeVeDe a try. It's in the repos
    >
    > Ram

    What repo's then???

  4. Re: Burning a DVD for a DVD player

    Ram illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    > Coffeeman wrote:
    >> I need to make a DVD which is playable on a DVD player vs computer.
    >>
    >> I have Gutsy with k3b and k9copy.
    >>
    >> I have a working .avi file and want to make it playable on a DVD
    >> player attached to a TV.
    >>
    >> It was possible in Nero on W$, but haven't discovered how to do it in
    >> Linux yet.
    >>
    >> There is a thread here from early Dec, and one in Mid Nov discussing
    >> DVD burning utilities, but no discussion in the forums on making a DVD
    >> like this.
    >>
    >> Looking forward to some assistance.
    >>
    >> Cheers,
    >>

    > Give DeVeDe a try. It's in the repos

    Yup. I use that too. It's OK and does what I require of it.

    --
    Moog

    mashed potatoes"

  5. Re: Burning a DVD for a DVD player

    Robert Vriens wrote:
    > Ram schreef:
    >> Coffeeman wrote:
    >>> I need to make a DVD which is playable on a DVD player vs computer.
    >>>
    >>> I have Gutsy with k3b and k9copy. I have a working .avi file and want
    >>> to make it playable on a DVD
    >>> player attached to a TV.
    >>>
    >>> It was possible in Nero on W$, but haven't discovered how to do it in
    >>> Linux yet. There is a thread here from early Dec, and one in Mid Nov
    >>> discussing
    >>> DVD burning utilities, but no discussion in the forums on making a DVD
    >>> like this.
    >>>
    >>> Looking forward to some assistance.
    >>>
    >>> Cheers,
    >>>

    >> Give DeVeDe a try. It's in the repos
    >>
    >> Ram

    > What repo's then???

    Gusty's ;-)

    Ram

  6. Re: Burning a DVD for a DVD player

    Robert Vriens wrote:

    >> Give DeVeDe a try. It's in the repos
    >>
    >> Ram

    > What repo's then???

    Apparantly in gutsy/universe and gutsy/multiverse:

    sander@ubuntu710:~$ sudo apt-get install devede
    [sudo] password for sander:
    Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree
    Reading state information... Done
    dvdauthor vcdimager
    devede dvdauthor vcdimager
    0 upgraded, 3 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
    Need to get 1445kB of archives.
    After unpacking 3166kB of additional disk space will be used.
    Do you want to continue [Y/n]?
    Get:1 http://nl.archive.ubuntu.com gutsy/universe dvdauthor 0.6.14-1build1
    [159kB]
    Get:2 http://nl.archive.ubuntu.com gutsy/universe vcdimager 0.7.23-3 [526kB]
    Get:3 http://nl.archive.ubuntu.com gutsy/multiverse devede 2.13-0.0 [760kB]
    Fetched 1445kB in 22s (64.0kB/s)
    Selecting previously deselected package dvdauthor.
    (Reading database ... 103293 files and directories currently installed.)
    Unpacking dvdauthor (from .../dvdauthor_0.6.14-1build1_i386.deb) ...
    Selecting previously deselected package vcdimager.
    Unpacking vcdimager (from .../vcdimager_0.7.23-3_i386.deb) ...
    Selecting previously deselected package devede.
    Unpacking devede (from .../devede_2.13-0.0_all.deb) ...
    Setting up dvdauthor (0.6.14-1build1) ...
    Setting up vcdimager (0.7.23-3) ...

    Setting up devede (2.13-0.0) ...

    sander@ubuntu710:~$

    HTH

    de Kameel

  7. Re: Burning a DVD for a DVD player

    On Fri, 28 Dec 2007 10:08:40 -0700, Coffeeman wrote:

    > I need to make a DVD which is playable on a DVD player vs computer.
    >
    > I have Gutsy with k3b and k9copy.
    >
    > I have a working .avi file and want to make it playable on a DVD player
    > attached to a TV.
    >
    > It was possible in Nero on W$, but haven't discovered how to do it in
    > Linux yet.
    >
    > There is a thread here from early Dec, and one in Mid Nov discussing DVD
    > burning utilities, but no discussion in the forums on making a DVD like
    > this.
    >
    > Looking forward to some assistance.
    >
    > Cheers,

    I usually use DeVeDe to convert the .avi(s) to a DVD .iso, then k3b to
    burn the .iso to a disc. Works fine. No menus, but I prefer it that
    way. If you want more "stuff", look into something like QDVDAuthor...

    --
    Joe - Linux User #449481/Ubuntu User #19733
    joe at hits - buffalo dot com

  8. Re: Burning a DVD for a DVD player

    On Fri, 28 Dec 2007 19:03:04 -0600, Joe wrote:

    > I usually use DeVeDe to convert the .avi(s) to a DVD .iso, then k3b to
    > burn the .iso to a disc. Works fine. No menus, but I prefer it that
    > way. If you want more "stuff", look into something like QDVDAuthor...

    Thanks! I fired up DeVeDe on my 'personal computer' and it worked well
    in conjunction with k3b. I appreciate you helping me out.

    Cheers,

  9. Re: Burning a DVD for a DVD player

    On Sat, 29 Dec 2007 17:26:15 +0000, Coffeeman wrote:

    > On Fri, 28 Dec 2007 19:03:04 -0600, Joe wrote:
    >

    >> I usually use DeVeDe to convert the .avi(s) to a DVD .iso, then k3b to
    >> burn the .iso to a disc. Works fine. No menus, but I prefer it that
    >> way. If you want more "stuff", look into something like QDVDAuthor...

    > Thanks! I fired up DeVeDe on my 'personal computer' and it worked well
    > in conjunction with k3b. I appreciate you helping me out.

    Any time. When I was moving to Ubuntu (from Fedora) this newsgroup was
    very helpful. I am guessing that you'll carry that on as you get more
    and more experience...

    --
    Joe - Linux User #449481/Ubuntu User #19733
    joe at hits - buffalo dot com
    time..." - Danny, American History X

  10. Re: Burning a DVD for a DVD player

    On Fri, 28 Dec 2007 10:08:40 -0700, Coffeeman wrote:

    > I need to make a DVD which is playable on a DVD player vs computer.
    >
    > I have Gutsy with k3b and k9copy.
    >
    > I have a working .avi file and want to make it playable on a DVD
    > player attached to a TV.
    >
    > It was possible in Nero on W$, but haven't discovered how to do it in
    > Linux yet.
    >
    > There is a thread here from early Dec, and one in Mid Nov discussing
    > DVD burning utilities, but no discussion in the forums on making a DVD
    > like this.
    >
    > Looking forward to some assistance.
    >
    > Cheers,

    If you dig, you will quickly discover the "10,000 ways to skin a cat"
    phenomenon. I recently solved this very problem. My computer now has
    about 6 different DVD authoring programs. The one that seems to work best
    is DeVeDe. Other popular choices are qdvdauthor and mandvd.

    A good source for Linux apps is the website, http://linuxappfinder.com

    --
    MarkA
    (My OTHER sig line is clever)

  11. Re: Burning a DVD for a DVD player

    On Sun, 30 Dec 2007 01:02:16 -0600, Joe
    wrote:

    >Any time. When I was moving to Ubuntu (from Fedora) this newsgroup was
    >very helpful. I am guessing that you'll carry that on as you get more
    >and more experience...

    Thanks!

    This group is quite knowledgeable.

    Now, if I could keep my derriere from getting flamed every time I
    make a post.....I'll probably get flamed for this, too :}>

    Cheers,

  12. Re: Burning a DVD for a DVD player

    On Mon, 31 Dec 2007 14:41:11 -0500, MarkA wrote:

    >If you dig, you will quickly discover the "10,000 ways to skin a cat"
    >phenomenon. I recently solved this very problem. My computer now has
    >about 6 different DVD authoring programs. The one that seems to work best
    >is DeVeDe. Other popular choices are qdvdauthor and mandvd.
    >
    >A good source for Linux apps is the website, http://linuxappfinder.com

    Thanks! This is no doubt saving me a few DVD coasters.

    As I was asking the original question, I was digging around and
    decided to get the wisdom on which is the best app. I'm trying not
    to clog up my Ubuntu box with extraneous junk right from the get go.
    That will come soon enough because I'm an inveterate software packrat.

    I looked at the app finder, and dug the official community forums you
    suggested, as well as the Windows equivalents page. K9copy and k3b
    seemed the thing, but I completely missed DeVeDe.

    In Windows (excuse the language) I was burning with Shrink DVD and
    Nero. I made a trial run with the programs you suggested, and I think
    I'm happy since discs made with that process play on my DVD player.

    You're right about 10 thousand choices! And all for free! I believe I
    have made the right decision to forego Vista, disk-wipe XP, and use
    Ubuntu exclusively. As soon as I get my stuff off of this 'personal
    computer', it's officially a Linux Box!

    Cheers,

  13. Re: Burning a DVD for a DVD player

    On Mon, 31 Dec 2007 14:41:11 -0500, MarkA wrote:

    >A good source for Linux apps is the website, http://linuxappfinder.com

    Uh oh. Spoke too soon. This site is great.

    I was comparing it to
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Wi...onsEquivalents ,
    Ubuntu equivalents to Windows applications.

    You are the man!

    Cheers,

  14. Re: Burning a DVD for a DVD player

    On Mon, 31 Dec 2007 19:09:18 -0700, Coffeeman wrote:

    > On Mon, 31 Dec 2007 14:41:11 -0500, MarkA wrote:
    >

    >>If you dig, you will quickly discover the "10,000 ways to skin a cat"
    >>phenomenon. I recently solved this very problem. My computer now has
    >>about 6 different DVD authoring programs. The one that seems to work best
    >>is DeVeDe. Other popular choices are qdvdauthor and mandvd.
    >>
    >>A good source for Linux apps is the website, http://linuxappfinder.com

    > Thanks! This is no doubt saving me a few DVD coasters.
    >
    > As I was asking the original question, I was digging around and
    > decided to get the wisdom on which is the best app. I'm trying not
    > to clog up my Ubuntu box with extraneous junk right from the get go.
    > That will come soon enough because I'm an inveterate software packrat.
    >
    > I looked at the app finder, and dug the official community forums you
    > suggested, as well as the Windows equivalents page. K9copy and k3b
    > seemed the thing, but I completely missed DeVeDe.
    >
    > In Windows (excuse the language) I was burning with Shrink DVD and
    > Nero. I made a trial run with the programs you suggested, and I think
    > I'm happy since discs made with that process play on my DVD player.
    >
    > You're right about 10 thousand choices! And all for free! I believe I
    > have made the right decision to forego Vista, disk-wipe XP, and use
    > Ubuntu exclusively. As soon as I get my stuff off of this 'personal
    > computer', it's officially a Linux Box!
    >
    > Cheers,

    The other problem i discovered when researching dvd authoring under linux
    was that many of the articles i found were several years old. linux
    software tends to evolve a lot faster than Windows programs do, so some of
    the software being discussed is no longer being developed. For similar
    reasons, I stopped buying printed linux books: they become obsolete too
    fast. It is better to look up the latest info online.

    Don't be too hasty to get rid of XP. If you ever have to make a back-up
    of a protected CD/DVD, you will probably have to use a Windows product,
    like "RipIt4Me," or "DVDDecrypter". I don't think there is anything on
    the linux platform that compares to them.

    --
    MarkA
    (This space accidentally filled in)

  15. Re: Burning a DVD for a DVD player

    MarkA wrote:
    > Don't be too hasty to get rid of XP. If you ever have to make a back-up
    > of a protected CD/DVD, you will probably have to use a Windows product,
    > like "RipIt4Me," or "DVDDecrypter". I don't think there is anything on
    > the linux platform that compares to them.

    Nonsense. Get rid of XP. Please don't advise when you're unsure.

    K9Copy or dvd95, either app can shrink and copy (back-up) protected
    DVDs. There are others. And if worst comes to worst, RipI4Me can be used
    under Wine.

    --Benjamin Franklin

  16. Re: Burning a DVD for a DVD player

    On Mon, 31 Dec 2007 23:16:10 -0500, MarkA wrote:

    >The other problem i discovered when researching dvd authoring under linux
    >was that many of the articles i found were several years old. linux
    >software tends to evolve a lot faster than Windows programs do, so some of
    >the software being discussed is no longer being developed. For similar
    >reasons, I stopped buying printed linux books: they become obsolete too
    >fast. It is better to look up the latest info online.

    Right. I pretty much discovered that the hard back books at the book
    store are older. Even the Ubuntu Bible 2007 has a 7.04 disc pasted
    in the back, and you know that's changed.

    In addition to wearing out Goggle, I am liking the forums. But have
    you noticed I am fielding a lot of RTFM and n0ob comments?

    >Don't be too hasty to get rid of XP. If you ever have to make a back-up
    >of a protected CD/DVD, you will probably have to use a Windows product,
    >like "RipIt4Me," or "DVDDecrypter". I don't think there is anything on
    >the linux platform that compares to them.

    Right again. I used Win Me on my old 200mhz machine until none of the
    newer software would talk to it, and there wasn't an update to BIOS to
    let me run newer hardware. I skipped Win2000 and then dealt with Win
    XP. Always felt as if Microsoft was on a mission to take away control
    from the user. So to that end, I'm switching to Ubuntu instead of
    Vista.

    I realize some of the shortcomings of Linux--which are quite arguably
    not shortcomings at all--as compared to a proprietary, closed source
    OS. And so I'm sitting here with a KVM switch and two 'personal
    computers' running next to my knee. Hopefully that won't last any
    longer than it takes me to flesh out my system with equavalent apps to
    the ones I have needed--and paid hundreds of dollars for.

    There are some 'show stoppers' --things which GUI-first users like me
    have trouble with--some of which I perceive are built into the system
    because of legal restrictions: the video card driver thing, the
    flash/java thing (Firefox is working it out with Ubuntu), etc.

    But cripes, have you looked at Vista? It's significantly more alien
    looking than Ubuntu is, and I've tried three different Ubuntu
    desktops.

    Ubuntu is at a crest right now, meaning users like me, who are
    somewhat knowledgeable but not exactly gurus like most of this group,
    are able to install and run as easily as, say Win XP is--easier. I've
    got real children using it.

    I've been stalking the group for a while, and can see the change in
    the knowledge level of the participants, particularly since version
    7.x came out.

    Thank you very much for helping me out. I appreciate you and everybody
    here who has been positive with me for taking the time to help me get
    up to speed.

    Cheers,

  17. Re: Burning a DVD for a DVD player

    > I've been stalking the group for a while, and can see the change in
    > the knowledge level of the participants, particularly since version
    > 7.x came out.
    >
    > Thank you very much for helping me out. I appreciate you and everybody
    > here who has been positive with me for taking the time to help me get
    > up to speed.
    >
    > Cheers,

    The change in the knowledge of the participants is
    a good thing. Means more are moving to Linux.
    I ditto your last. This group has been great.
    caver1

  18. Re: Burning a DVD for a DVD player

    On Tue, 01 Jan 2008 04:38:27 +0000, johnny bobby bee wrote:

    > MarkA wrote:
    >> Don't be too hasty to get rid of XP. If you ever have to make a back-up
    >> of a protected CD/DVD, you will probably have to use a Windows product,
    >> like "RipIt4Me," or "DVDDecrypter". I don't think there is anything on
    >> the linux platform that compares to them.

    > Nonsense. Get rid of XP. Please don't advise when you're unsure.
    >
    > K9Copy or dvd95, either app can shrink and copy (back-up) protected
    > DVDs. There are others. And if worst comes to worst, RipI4Me can be used
    > under Wine.

    I was thinking of "CloneCD", which does NOT run under Wine. Are there
    other Linux apps which can crack CDs protected by SafeDisc 3, etc?

    --
    MarkA
    (This space accidentally filled in)

+ Reply to Thread