Interesting Automatic Shutdown Curiosity - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Interesting Automatic Shutdown Curiosity - Ubuntu ; When my computer starts up, one of the first text messages during startup tells me my bios is too old and the computer won't shut down automatically. It tells me I need to set: acpi=force. Of course, I don't know ...

  1. Interesting Automatic Shutdown Curiosity

    When my computer starts up, one of the first text messages during startup
    tells me my bios is too old and the computer won't shut down
    automatically. It tells me I need to set: acpi=force.

    Of course, I don't know how to do that.

    Recently someone helped me out with the followng:

    The solution is this:

    type:
    SUDO GEDIT /ETC/MODULES

    add a new line with the following statement:

    apm power_off=1

    And that works just fine under normal shutdown. But if I hibernate the
    computer, it works just the first time. The second time, I have to turn
    off the power manually. This is not a big deal.

    It's a curiosity.

    Anybody have any ideas?

    Al

  2. Re: Interesting Automatic Shutdown Curiosity

    Al writes:

    > When my computer starts up, one of the first text messages during startup
    > tells me my bios is too old and the computer won't shut down
    > automatically. It tells me I need to set: acpi=force.
    >
    > Of course, I don't know how to do that.
    >
    > Recently someone helped me out with the followng:
    >
    > The solution is this:
    >
    > type:
    > SUDO GEDIT /ETC/MODULES
    >
    > add a new line with the following statement:
    >
    > apm power_off=1
    >
    > And that works just fine under normal shutdown.

    But only if you don't type the above but rather type it all in lower
    case ....

    e.g

    sudo gedit /etc/modules

    there is no such command as "SUDO" or "GEDIT" - case is important.

    > But if I hibernate the
    > computer, it works just the first time. The second time, I have to turn
    > off the power manually. This is not a big deal.

    It would be to me. When you hibernate there are still applications
    open. Turning off means you will lose the open data. Or?

    > It's a curiosity.
    >
    > Anybody have any ideas?
    >
    > Al

    Suspend/Hibernate is in a state of flux. it simply does not work for
    lots of people. Different HW has different levels of stability.

    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&s...g_en%7Clang_de

    or

    http://tinyurl.com/2y5g4y

    Best of luck.

  3. Re: Interesting Automatic Shutdown Curiosity

    On 2007-12-28, Al hit the keyboard and wrote:
    > When my computer starts up, one of the first text messages during startup
    > tells me my bios is too old and the computer won't shut down
    > automatically. It tells me I need to set: acpi=force.
    >
    > Of course, I don't know how to do that.
    >
    > Recently someone helped me out with the followng:
    >
    > The solution is this:
    >
    > type:
    > SUDO GEDIT /ETC/MODULES
    >
    > add a new line with the following statement:
    >
    > apm power_off=1

    IIRC there is also a "grub" option as well. You need to
    modify the kernel-line in /boot/grub/menu.lst. The above
    message you see "acpi=force" you have to put at the end of
    the line for the kernel you're booting. On my older PC I
    used it too since it was a Pentium II..

    HTH :-=

    --

    Dragomir Kollaric