Scanners on Ubuntu 7.10 - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Scanners on Ubuntu 7.10 - Ubuntu ; I Have Ubuntu 7.10 installed and I am about to purchase an Epson Perfection V200 Photo scanner. Does anyone know if this scanner will work on Ubuntu 7.10 and how difficult is it to set up. Maurice Helwig...

  1. Scanners on Ubuntu 7.10

    I Have Ubuntu 7.10 installed and I am about to purchase an Epson
    Perfection V200 Photo scanner.
    Does anyone know if this scanner will work on Ubuntu 7.10 and how
    difficult is it to set up.

    Maurice Helwig

  2. Re: Scanners on Ubuntu 7.10

    On Fri, 28 Dec 2007 17:46:39 +1000, Maurice Helwig wrote:

    > difficult is it to set up.

    USB scanners are usually not a problem, I did not encounter one that did
    not work yet.

    --
    :-)

  3. Re: Scanners on Ubuntu 7.10

    Maurice Helwig wrote:
    > I Have Ubuntu 7.10 installed and I am about to purchase an Epson
    > Perfection V200 Photo scanner.
    > Does anyone know if this scanner will work on Ubuntu 7.10 and how
    > difficult is it to set up.

    You're going about this the wrong way. Research the hardware first, then
    buy it. Don't just buy blindly. Hint *Google* (Perfection V200 scanner
    Ubuntu/Linux)

    --Benjamin Franklin

  4. Re: Scanners on Ubuntu 7.10

    Holz writes:

    > On Fri, 28 Dec 2007 17:46:39 +1000, Maurice Helwig wrote:
    >
    >> difficult is it to set up.

    > USB scanners are usually not a problem, I did not encounter one that did
    > not work yet.

    How many have you encountered? have you encountered this one? Otherwise
    your advice is plain wrong. Many people post here and are unable to get
    their scanners working. YMMV.

  5. Re: Scanners on Ubuntu 7.10

    Hadron wrote:

    > Holz writes:
    >
    >> On Fri, 28 Dec 2007 17:46:39 +1000, Maurice Helwig wrote:
    >>
    >>> difficult is it to set up.

    >> USB scanners are usually not a problem, I did not encounter one that did
    >> not work yet.

    > How many have you encountered? have you encountered this one? Otherwise
    > your advice is plain wrong. Many people post here and are unable to get
    > their scanners working. YMMV.

    http://lists.alioth.debian.org/piper...er/019938.html

    Do you ever check before posting your garbage?
    --
    Linux is simply a fad that has been generated by the media

  6. Re: Scanners on Ubuntu 7.10

    On Fri, 28 Dec 2007 11:14:15 +0100
    Hadron wrote:

    > Holz writes:
    >
    > > On Fri, 28 Dec 2007 17:46:39 +1000, Maurice Helwig wrote:
    > >
    > >> difficult is it to set up.

    > > USB scanners are usually not a problem, I did not encounter one that did
    > > not work yet.

    > How many have you encountered? have you encountered this one? Otherwise
    > your advice is plain wrong. Many people post here and are unable to get
    > their scanners working. YMMV.

    They all seem to be Cannons IIRC.

    --
    Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

  7. Re: Scanners on Ubuntu 7.10

    Trevor Best writes:

    > On Fri, 28 Dec 2007 11:14:15 +0100
    > Hadron wrote:
    >
    >> Holz writes:

    >> > USB scanners are usually not a problem, I did not encounter one that did
    >> > not work yet.

    >> How many have you encountered? have you encountered this one? Otherwise
    >> your advice is plain wrong. Many people post here and are unable to get
    >> their scanners working. YMMV.

    > They all seem to be Cannons IIRC.

    And the famous lexmarks - although I seem to remember someone saying
    that they might work now.

  8. Re: Scanners on Ubuntu 7.10

    On Fri, 28 Dec 2007 17:46:39 +1000, Maurice Helwig wrote:

    > I Have Ubuntu 7.10 installed and I am about to purchase an Epson
    > Perfection V200 Photo scanner.
    > Does anyone know if this scanner will work on Ubuntu 7.10 and how
    > difficult is it to set up.
    >
    > Maurice Helwig

    Suggest you check avasys.jp/english to see if this particular model is
    supported via the 'iscan' software. If so, it is quite simple to set up -
    one or two downloads and done.

  9. Re: Scanners on Ubuntu 7.10

    Hadron wrote:
    > Trevor Best writes:
    >
    >> On Fri, 28 Dec 2007 11:14:15 +0100
    >> Hadron wrote:

    >>> How many have you encountered? have you encountered this one? Otherwise
    >>> your advice is plain wrong. Many people post here and are unable to get
    >>> their scanners working. YMMV.

    >> They all seem to be Cannons IIRC.

    > And the famous lexmarks - although I seem to remember someone saying
    > that they might work now.

    Didn't have any problem with my Canon LiDE 35.

  10. Re: Scanners on Ubuntu 7.10

    On Fri, 28 Dec 2007 23:02:57 +0000, Vance Howard wrote:

    > Hadron wrote:
    >> Trevor Best writes:

    >>> They all seem to be Cannons IIRC.

    >> And the famous lexmarks - although I seem to remember someone saying
    >> that they might work now.

    > Didn't have any problem with my Canon LiDE 35.

    My Epson Perfection 2400 Photo works just fine.

    It even works on Mac OS 9.2.2 with the Twain that comes with Photoshop.

    Al

  11. Re: Scanners on Ubuntu 7.10

    Al writes:

    > On Fri, 28 Dec 2007 23:02:57 +0000, Vance Howard wrote:
    >
    >> Hadron wrote:

    >>> And the famous lexmarks - although I seem to remember someone saying
    >>> that they might work now.

    >> Didn't have any problem with my Canon LiDE 35.

    > My Epson Perfection 2400 Photo works just fine.
    >
    > It even works on Mac OS 9.2.2 with the Twain that comes with Photoshop.
    >
    > Al

    My HP OfficeJet works fine too. Although I suspect that is little
    comfort to those who do not, in fact, use an OfficeJet ....

  12. Re: Scanners on Ubuntu 7.10

    >On Fri, 28 Dec 2007 23:02:57 +0000, Vance Howard wrote:
    >
    >> Hadron wrote:

    >>> And the famous lexmarks - although I seem to remember someone saying
    >>> that they might work now.

    >> Didn't have any problem with my Canon LiDE 35.

    >My Epson Perfection 2400 Photo works just fine.

    I installed Ubuntu 7.10 and added the full KDE suite to make a sort of
    Kubuntu, which I used for these tests:

    My Canon LiDE30 works wtih both XSane and Kooka even if I plug it in
    after boot time (it gets it's power from the USB connection)

    My Epson Perfection 2480 Photo will work on both of the above
    programs, but only if it's plugged in and powered up while booting (it
    uses a 120 VAC power brick)

    If I unplug it after booting, and plug it back in, or don't plug it in
    at all until after booting, I get error messages in both programs and
    it is not recognized and does not work

  13. Re: Scanners on Ubuntu 7.10

    On Sat, 29 Dec 2007 17:12:30 +0000, Al wrote:

    > On Fri, 28 Dec 2007 23:02:57 +0000, Vance Howard wrote:
    >
    >> Hadron wrote:

    >>> And the famous lexmarks - although I seem to remember someone saying
    >>> that they might work now.

    >> Didn't have any problem with my Canon LiDE 35.

    > My Epson Perfection 2400 Photo works just fine.
    >
    > It even works on Mac OS 9.2.2 with the Twain that comes with Photoshop.
    >
    > Al

    The Canon Lide scanners work great. I too have a 35 and it couldn't get an
    easier. Much easier than in Windows XP, nothing to install just plug in
    and fire up Kooka.

  14. Re: Scanners on Ubuntu 7.10

    On Sun, 30 Dec 2007 06:54:12 -0500
    Fred Williams wrote:

    > While we're on the subject, can anyone say whether my HP 5300C is
    > supposed to stay on all the time? I've never found an off-on switch
    > and even when my computer is down the lamp is still shining brightly,
    > even all through the night. I don't know if it's supposed to be like
    > that or if turning it on and off, (unplugging the power), would hurt it
    > more.

    My HP 3745 has a power button that doubles as a page feed, it also
    houses the LED that shines green for power and orange for "something is
    wrong"

    I guess if they meant or you to power it off, they'd give you a power
    button.

    --
    Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

  15. Re: Scanners on Ubuntu 7.10

    On Sun, 30 Dec 2007 06:54:12 -0500, Fred Williams wrote:

    > While we're on the subject, can anyone say whether my HP 5300C is
    > supposed to stay on all the time? I've never found an off-on switch
    > and even when my computer is down the lamp is still shining brightly,
    > even all through the night. I don't know if it's supposed to be like
    > that or if turning it on and off, (unplugging the power), would hurt it
    > more.

    Is it a CFL or LED scanner? If it is a CFL (cold fluorescent) it wouldn't
    hurt to unplug it as CFL's have a life expectancy of maybe 15K hours.

  16. Re: Scanners on Ubuntu 7.10

    On 2007-12-30, Trevor Best hit the keyboard and wrote:
    > On Sun, 30 Dec 2007 06:54:12 -0500
    > Fred Williams wrote:
    >

    >> While we're on the subject, can anyone say
    >> whether my HP 5300C is supposed to stay on all the time?
    >> I've never found an off-on switch and even when my
    >> computer is down the lamp is still shining brightly, even
    >> all through the night. I don't know if it's supposed to
    >> be like that or if turning it on and off, (unplugging the
    >> power), would hurt it more.

    > My HP 3745 has a power button that doubles as a page feed,
    > it also houses the LED that shines green for power and
    > orange for "something is wrong"

    Here is a printer on which I have the same LED's (kind of)
    and one of them *IS* the power on/off switch. In the colder
    time of the year I have to hold down the index-finger a bit
    longer... but then it turns off.

    @ OP Have you not got a documentation for it? If not you
    could get a pdf file or something from HP.

    > I guess if they meant or you to power it off, they'd give
    > you a power button.

    Dragomir Kollaric
    --
    Problem: "Autopilot in altitude hold mode
    produces a 200 fpm descent."

  17. Re: Scanners on Ubuntu 7.10

    > I noted that from the day I got it, that there was no power on/off
    >switch. I don't remember the manual saying anything about it and there
    >is no LED to show on or off. I just woke up in the middle of the night
    >and saw the light gleaming out from under the cover, like an alien in
    >one of those cheap movies. I'm going to pull the plug on him tonight!
    >Wish me luck.

    Luck.......

+ Reply to Thread