Server or workstation? - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Server or workstation? - Ubuntu ; Hi NG I am tasked with the installation of an UBUNTU distro on an Intel server with 4GB RAM, Dual channel RAID card and 100 GB disk space on RAID 5 + hot spare. The server is about 3 years ...

  1. Server or workstation?

    Hi NG

    I am tasked with the installation of an UBUNTU distro on an Intel server
    with 4GB RAM, Dual channel RAID card and 100 GB disk space on RAID 5 +
    hot spare. The server is about 3 years old, and fully compatible with
    Linux, hence we have all the drivers on a CD made by Intel.
    The purpose of the server is testing:
    One Windows 2003 server virtual machine.
    SQL of the client's choice for testing purposes, could by mysql or
    PostgresSQL.
    I hear there are a lot of issues with virtual box and the server version
    of ubuntu, and I am trying to avoid a situation where the client's IT
    "guru" can jump and say I told you so, he is already quite unhappy with
    the 15 gutsy stations installed for their research department.
    In the event that they are happy, a new server will be purchased and this
    one used as test only.
    I never dealt with server installations, so how would you split the
    partition for a server install? or for that matter, workstation install?

    --
    :-)

  2. Re: Server or workstation?

    Holz wrote:
    > I am tasked with the installation of an UBUNTU distro on an Intel server

    > I never dealt with server installations, so how would you split the
    > partition for a server install? or for that matter, workstation install?

    Dude, you're in *way* over your head.

    --Benjamin Franklin

  3. Re: Server or workstation?

    On Fri, 28 Dec 2007 08:51:34 +0000, johnny bobby bee wrote:

    > Dude, you're in *way* over your head.

    I know, that is what is making it so much fun.
    And the real answer is?

    --
    :-)

  4. Re: Server or workstation?

    In johnny bobby bee:

    [Snip..]

    > Dude, you're in *way* over your head.

    Agreed. If this isn't a troll, IMO here's a good place to start:

    "Ubuntu Linux Server Documentation"

    http://linux.about.com/od/ubusrv_doc...umentation.htm

  5. Re: Server or workstation?

    On Fri, 28 Dec 2007 08:58:12 +0000, Holz wrote:

    > On Fri, 28 Dec 2007 08:51:34 +0000, johnny bobby bee wrote:
    >
    >> Dude, you're in *way* over your head.

    > I know, that is what is making it so much fun. And the real answer is?

    Not to be rude, but you are getting paid to do this? And you want us to
    do the work for you? Presumably for free?

    Partitioning is a very controversial topic, right from the start.
    Without having specific space requirements, it is even worse.

    Some will tell you to just use one big partition. Others, like myself,
    will split it up quite a bit...

    100M /boot, 4G /var, and the rest based on your needs...

    Also, server or workstation doesn't really matter, as they are basically
    the same OS. But you will need a GUI to manage the VM and display
    Windows.

    Do you need a web server? The server edition has an option for LAMP,
    which will install Apache, MySQL, PHP. Otherwise, just install MySQL.

    There are many options. If you do not have a good plan going into it,
    you may not be in a position to sell it, especially where skeptics are
    involved. While you are probably giving them an excellent suggestion, it
    would probably be in your company's best interest to have someone consult
    that has a bit more experience doing this kind of thing. Or, at least
    come up with some test equipment and do several installs before the one
    that they'll see, so that you can get it just right, the way that works
    best for their needs.

    --
    Joe - Linux User #449481/Ubuntu User #19733
    joe at hits - buffalo dot com

  6. Re: Server or workstation?

    Joe writes:

    > On Fri, 28 Dec 2007 08:58:12 +0000, Holz wrote:
    >
    >> On Fri, 28 Dec 2007 08:51:34 +0000, johnny bobby bee wrote:
    >>
    >>> Dude, you're in *way* over your head.

    >> I know, that is what is making it so much fun. And the real answer is?

    > Not to be rude, but you are getting paid to do this? And you want us to
    > do the work for you? Presumably for free?
    >
    > Partitioning is a very controversial topic, right from the start.
    > Without having specific space requirements, it is even worse.
    >
    > Some will tell you to just use one big partition. Others, like myself,
    > will split it up quite a bit...

    Oh come on. There is huge consensus. I have *never* seen someone who
    *knows what they are talking about* recommend a single partition. That
    is simply madness.

  7. Re: Server or workstation?

    On Fri, 28 Dec 2007 13:25:49 +0100
    Hadron wrote:

    > Joe writes:

    > >> I know, that is what is making it so much fun. And the real answer is?

    > > Not to be rude, but you are getting paid to do this? And you want us to
    > > do the work for you? Presumably for free?
    > >
    > > Partitioning is a very controversial topic, right from the start.
    > > Without having specific space requirements, it is even worse.
    > >
    > > Some will tell you to just use one big partition. Others, like myself,
    > > will split it up quite a bit...
    > >

    > Oh come on. There is huge consensus. I have *never* seen someone who
    > *knows what they are talking about* recommend a single partition. That
    > is simply madness.

    He didn't say the "one partition" camp knows what they're talking
    about, he simply said some will tell you that, why are you reading more
    into what was said? Don't you get enough arguments on this ng as it is?

    --
    Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

  8. Re: Server or workstation?

    Trevor Best writes:

    > On Fri, 28 Dec 2007 13:25:49 +0100
    > Hadron wrote:
    >
    >> Joe writes:

    >> > Not to be rude, but you are getting paid to do this? And you want us to
    >> > do the work for you? Presumably for free?
    >> >
    >> > Partitioning is a very controversial topic, right from the start.
    >> > Without having specific space requirements, it is even worse.
    >> >
    >> > Some will tell you to just use one big partition. Others, like myself,
    >> > will split it up quite a bit...
    >> >

    >> Oh come on. There is huge consensus. I have *never* seen someone who
    >> *knows what they are talking about* recommend a single partition. That
    >> is simply madness.

    > He didn't say the "one partition" camp knows what they're talking
    > about, he simply said some will tell you that, why are you reading more
    > into what was said? Don't you get enough arguments on this ng as it
    > is?

    You really do like to stir it up don't you? I am not reading more into
    it whatsoever. What he actually said is this:

    ,----
> [...]
    `----

    This is an overstatement. It is NOT "ver controversial" at all. These
    are his words not mine. He then gave, as an example, of this the
    following statement on the *next* line:

    ,----
    `----

    This was clearly supposed to be an example of this "very controversial
    topic".

    It is not *SO* controversial and there is no need to big up the slight
    differences of opinion as any more than that. Sure, some might argue
    about whether the var should go on a separate partition but the general
    consensus is a home partition, a swap partition and a root
    partition. Any other varieties are not a result of controversy, but
    rather personal choice and skill levels with regard to partition
    management. Controversy suggests some kind of style war. It is not that
    much of an issue at all.

  9. Re: Server or workstation?

    On Fri, 28 Dec 2007 05:09:43 -0600, Joe wrote:

    > Some will tell you to just use one big partition. Others, like myself,
    > will split it up quite a bit..

    No, you do not have to, I asked a legitimate question.

    --
    :-)

  10. Re: Server or workstation?

    On Fri, 28 Dec 2007 05:09:43 -0600, Joe wrote:

    > Some will tell you to just use one big partition. Others, like myself,
    > will split it up quite a bit..

    No, you do not have to, I asked a legitimate question.

    --
    :-)

  11. Re: Server or workstation?

    On Fri, 28 Dec 2007 14:48:00 +0100
    Hadron wrote:

    > You really do like to stir it up don't you?

    Another irony meter broke.

    --
    Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

  12. Re: Server or workstation?

    On Fri, 28 Dec 2007 13:25:49 +0100, Hadron wrote:

    > Joe writes:

    >>> I know, that is what is making it so much fun. And the real answer is?

    >> Not to be rude, but you are getting paid to do this? And you want us
    >> to do the work for you? Presumably for free?
    >>
    >> Partitioning is a very controversial topic, right from the start.
    >> Without having specific space requirements, it is even worse.
    >>
    >> Some will tell you to just use one big partition. Others, like myself,
    >> will split it up quite a bit...
    >>

    > Oh come on. There is huge consensus. I have *never* seen someone who
    > *knows what they are talking about* recommend a single partition. That
    > is simply madness.

    There is no consensus as to what those partitions should be, for one, and
    you are entirely wrong if you believe that there is a consensus that
    there should not be a single partition. I have seen the argument made in
    this group a few times.

    The idea has *some* merit. Having separate partitions on the same drive
    (or array) does nothing to increase speed or efficiency, and if the
    partitions are not well planned, you could cause downtime by having
    something fill up that otherwise might not when space is shared across
    the filesystem.

    On the other hand, by using a single filesystem, you risk runaway print
    queues or log files filling up the entire filesystem and taking down the
    server.

    I prefer it my way, and have had exceptional results with it, but when
    giving free advice, I don't put too much of myself in. I have nothing to
    gain...

    --
    Joe - Linux User #449481/Ubuntu User #19733
    joe at hits - buffalo dot com
    time..." - Danny, American History X

  13. Re: Server or workstation?

    On Fri, 28 Dec 2007 12:55:13 +0000, Trevor Best wrote:

    > On Fri, 28 Dec 2007 13:25:49 +0100
    > Hadron wrote:
    >
    >> Joe writes:

    >> > Not to be rude, but you are getting paid to do this? And you want us
    >> > to do the work for you? Presumably for free?
    >> >
    >> > Partitioning is a very controversial topic, right from the start.
    >> > Without having specific space requirements, it is even worse.
    >> >
    >> > Some will tell you to just use one big partition. Others, like
    >> > myself, will split it up quite a bit...
    >> >

    >> Oh come on. There is huge consensus. I have *never* seen someone who
    >> *knows what they are talking about* recommend a single partition. That
    >> is simply madness.

    > He didn't say the "one partition" camp knows what they're talking about,
    > he simply said some will tell you that, why are you reading more into
    > what was said? Don't you get enough arguments on this ng as it is?

    Even worse, since he has insisted that he had me *plonked* for being an
    imbecile, or some such nonsense.

    It's all right, though. He is right in that I do not think it is a good
    idea. But it is one that has been bandied about plenty of times...

    --
    Joe - Linux User #449481/Ubuntu User #19733
    joe at hits - buffalo dot com
    time..." - Danny, American History X

  14. Re: Server or workstation?

    On Fri, 28 Dec 2007 19:48:47 -0600, Joe wrote:

    > can to gain experience with the subject matter before you bring advice
    > into the field.

    Joe, I was very clear about this being a test, and yes, I work for an
    M$ consulting firm (MCSE, MCT all this ****). I have about one year
    experience with ubuntu, and I am the only one in the firm with any
    knowledge of Linux. I could of course so "no, I don't know how", but that
    would beat the purpose. This client represents a 25K monthly income for
    us, an account we cannot easily let go. Enough said.
    I set the workstation today, installed virtual box and two virtual
    machines and s far so good.
    I assume that if the client will be happy he might a hire a full time
    support person, but we'll see about that.

    --
    :-)

  15. Re: Server or workstation?

    Holz writes:

    > On Fri, 28 Dec 2007 19:48:47 -0600, Joe wrote:
    >
    >> can to gain experience with the subject matter before you bring advice
    >> into the field.

    > Joe, I was very clear about this being a test, and yes, I work for an
    > M$ consulting firm (MCSE, MCT all this ****). I have about one year
    > experience with ubuntu, and I am the only one in the firm with any
    > knowledge of Linux. I could of course so "no, I don't know how", but that
    > would beat the purpose. This client represents a 25K monthly income for
    > us, an account we cannot easily let go. Enough said.
    > I set the workstation today, installed virtual box and two virtual
    > machines and s far so good.
    > I assume that if the client will be happy he might a hire a full time
    > support person, but we'll see about that.

    This is one of the most bizarre threads I have ever read!It has more
    fibs, exaggerations and non sequiturs than the rest of the months posts
    put together! Keep up the good work!

  16. Re: Server or workstation?

    On Sat, 29 Dec 2007 09:46:35 +0000, Holz wrote:

    > On Fri, 28 Dec 2007 19:48:47 -0600, Joe wrote:
    >
    >> can to gain experience with the subject matter before you bring advice
    >> into the field.

    > Joe, I was very clear about this being a test, and yes, I work for an M$
    > consulting firm (MCSE, MCT all this ****). I have about one year
    > experience with ubuntu, and I am the only one in the firm with any
    > knowledge of Linux. I could of course so "no, I don't know how", but
    > that would beat the purpose. This client represents a 25K monthly income
    > for us, an account we cannot easily let go. Enough said. I set the
    > workstation today, installed virtual box and two virtual machines and s
    > far so good.
    > I assume that if the client will be happy he might a hire a full time
    > support person, but we'll see about that.

    I understood your original post. Clearly you didn't understand mine.

    You are building this "test" machine in an attempt to sell a potentially
    skeptical client. You do not have the experience to do it yourself, so
    you come here asking for help. That may get you through a working build,
    but what will it do for you when it comes time for the skeptical admins
    to ask tough questions? If you don't have the experience to come up with
    a partitioning scheme on your own, how will you answer vital security or
    performance questions?

    The best bet for you, and YOUR company, is to contract a well-versed
    linux consultant to get you through the first couple of these installs.
    Once you have more experience dealing with it, you can opt to not bring
    in outside help any more.

    It is not an attack on your personal abilities. You don't have any
    experience. Simple fact. I am extremely pro-linux, but if our service
    company came in and tried to sell me a server, or a conversion, and they
    sent someone with your current experience level, I would be insulted, at
    the least. And if I asked questions that he couldn't answer, I'd chase
    him out the door and probably start looking for a new service contractor.

    Take it as you wish. My advice was free, and was the best you got in
    this thread...

    --
    Joe - Linux User #449481/Ubuntu User #19733
    joe at hits - buffalo dot com
    time..." - Danny, American History X

  17. Re: Server or workstation?

    On Sat, 29 Dec 2007 11:22:29 +0100, Hadron wrote:

    > Holz writes:
    >
    >> On Fri, 28 Dec 2007 19:48:47 -0600, Joe wrote:
    >>
    >>> can to gain experience with the subject matter before you bring advice
    >>> into the field.

    >> Joe, I was very clear about this being a test, and yes, I work for an
    >> M$ consulting firm (MCSE, MCT all this ****). I have about one year
    >> experience with ubuntu, and I am the only one in the firm with any
    >> knowledge of Linux. I could of course so "no, I don't know how", but
    >> that would beat the purpose. This client represents a 25K monthly
    >> income for us, an account we cannot easily let go. Enough said. I set
    >> the workstation today, installed virtual box and two virtual machines
    >> and s far so good.
    >> I assume that if the client will be happy he might a hire a full time
    >> support person, but we'll see about that.

    > This is one of the most bizarre threads I have ever read!It has more
    > fibs, exaggerations and non sequiturs than the rest of the months posts
    > put together! Keep up the good work!

    Wow. You truly are an idiot. Which fibs, exaggerations and non-
    sequitors do you see? Please give advice to the contrary that will help
    better. Else, you may wish to simply go away. You clearly have nothing
    constructive to provide here...

    --
    Joe - Linux User #449481/Ubuntu User #19733
    joe at hits - buffalo dot com
    time..." - Danny, American History X

  18. Re: Server or workstation?

    Joe writes:

    > On Sat, 29 Dec 2007 11:22:29 +0100, Hadron wrote:
    >
    >> Holz writes:

    >>> Joe, I was very clear about this being a test, and yes, I work for an
    >>> M$ consulting firm (MCSE, MCT all this ****). I have about one year
    >>> experience with ubuntu, and I am the only one in the firm with any
    >>> knowledge of Linux. I could of course so "no, I don't know how", but
    >>> that would beat the purpose. This client represents a 25K monthly
    >>> income for us, an account we cannot easily let go. Enough said. I set
    >>> the workstation today, installed virtual box and two virtual machines
    >>> and s far so good.
    >>> I assume that if the client will be happy he might a hire a full time
    >>> support person, but we'll see about that.

    >> This is one of the most bizarre threads I have ever read!It has more
    >> fibs, exaggerations and non sequiturs than the rest of the months posts
    >> put together! Keep up the good work!

    > Wow. You truly are an idiot. Which fibs, exaggerations and non-
    > sequitors do you see? Please give advice to the contrary that will help
    > better. Else, you may wish to simply go away. You clearly have nothing
    > constructive to provide here...

    I already did. The exaggeration about partitioning being hugely
    controversial. The fact that someone with one years experience of Ubuntu
    doesn't have a clue about partitioning. The fact that this guy hints at
    a client paying 25k for his Linux support and that they might hire a
    full term admin. But the best is, during all this, there has been no
    practical advice whatsoever.

    As johnny bobby bee said earlier in this thread

    "Dude, you're in *way* over your head"

    Now, you can huff and puff all you like, but keep in mind that the whole
    thread is here to review. Please do. You might be surprised.

    As for your comment about me giving "advice to the contrary", what
    advice? I already posted my comments on the partitioning after you tried
    to complicate it and make it seem like a life and death thing.

+ Reply to Thread