Motorola RAZR V3c Support - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Motorola RAZR V3c Support - Ubuntu ; Motorola and Verizon offer software ($39.95 US) to sync phone and manage on PC under Windows or Mac OS X but does anyone know of any Linux software that allows the same management/sync functions?...

  1. Motorola RAZR V3c Support

    Motorola and Verizon offer software ($39.95 US) to sync phone and manage
    on PC under Windows or Mac OS X but does anyone know of any Linux
    software that allows the same management/sync functions?

  2. Re: Motorola RAZR V3c Support

    Fred Marsico wrote:

    > Motorola and Verizon offer software ($39.95 US) to sync phone and
    > manage on PC under Windows or Mac OS X but does anyone know of any
    > Linux software that allows the same management/sync functions?

    Gammu:

    Mobile phone management utility
    Gammu is command line utility and library to work with mobile phones
    from many vendors. Support for different models differs, but basic
    functions should work with majority of them. Program can work with
    contacts, messages (SMS, EMS and MMS), calendar, todos, filesystem,
    integrated radio, camera, etc. It also supports daemon mode to send and
    receive SMSes.

    Currently supported phones include:

    * Many Nokia models.
    * Alcatel BE5 (501/701), BF5 (715), BH4 (535/735).
    * AT capable phones (Siemens, Nokia, Alcatel, IPAQ).
    * OBEX and IrMC capable phones (Sony-Ericsson, Motorola).
    * Symbian phones through gnapplet.

    This package contains Gammu binary as well as some examples.

    Homepage: http://www.gammu.org

    and Opensync with the plugin "libopensync-plugin-moto:

    OpenSync Plugin for syncing with Motorola phones
    This is a VERY EXPERIMENTAL plugin for syncing with Motorola phones
    using the AT command set. It supports syncing phonebook and calendar
    entries (ie. the contact and event object types). It will most likely
    mess up the data on your phone and any other members of the sync group,
    due to the limited data that can be stored on the phone. Use with
    caution
    and make backups!

    SUPPORTED HARDWARE:
    Motorola L7 ("SLVR"), RAZR V3x (read only), RAZR V3i (read only),
    V635 (read only)
    http://www.opensync.org/wiki/

    HTH

    Gerd

  3. Re: Motorola RAZR V3c Support

    Thank you. I installed BitPim because it was available through the Ubuntu package manager. I posted a thread regarding the results so far. :-(

    Other than the recharging via USB, which does seem to be working now, there really isn't much else I would do, unless its take a few pix to move to the PC.

    In all honesty, I think I would be better off waiting a while to see if I am going to rebuild this PC again. It seems that my hardware platform is not as stable as the OS (certainly a 180 from my Windows PC) and it may become necessary to replace the mobo again.

    I have been an IT pro for over 25 years working predominantly in a Microsoft OS/Office environment with an occasional Unix/Linux OS used as a backup or auxiliary file server.  So while my Linux experience is limited, it has grown enough to convince me that I made a wise choice in switching from Windows on my home desktop.

    Thank you once again Mr. Geppert for your kind assistance, as I am sure that I will be asking more questions and seeking additional advice and support as my expereince with the Linux world expands.

    Gerd Geppert wrote:

    Fred Marsico wrote:

[...]

+ Reply to Thread