My sound stopped working under Gutsy Gibbon - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on My sound stopped working under Gutsy Gibbon - Ubuntu ; I have done something to break the sound under Gutsy Gibbon. I think the problem began when I installed kruler but I am not sure. My machine will dual boot Gutsy or Fedora Core 7 and the sound works fine ...

  1. My sound stopped working under Gutsy Gibbon

    I have done something to break the sound under Gutsy Gibbon. I think the
    problem began when I installed kruler but I am not sure. My machine will
    dual boot Gutsy or Fedora Core 7 and the sound works fine under Fedora so
    I know my hardware is okay.

    I have tried going to system->preferences->sound (gnome-sound-properties)
    and that doesn't solve anything. I have the sound events, music and
    movies, and audio conferencing set to autodetect. I don't understand the
    use of the default mixer tracks. I can select one, but then I don't see
    how to manipulate it to do anything.

    I have also gone applications->other->sound and applications->other-
    >sound system, the KDE control module. I have tried working with /usr/

    bin/alsamixer, which is a vt-100 style program. I can manipulate the
    controls but I can't make a beep of noise.

    The KDE control module says that the sound driver is 3.8.1a-980706 (ALSA
    v1.0.14 emulation code)
    Kernel 2.6.22-14-generic
    Config options 0

    Installed drivers
    type 10: ALSA emulation

    Card config:
    VIA 8235 with ALC650F at 0xe400 irq 21

    Audio devices:
    0: VIA 8235 (DUPLEX)

    Synth devices: NOT ENABLED IN CONFIG
    Midi devices: NOT ENABLED IN CONFIG

    Timers:
    31: system timer

    Mixers
    0: Realtek ALC650F

    lspci -vv reports:
    00:11.5 Multimedia audio controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT8233/
    A/8235/8237 AC97 Audio Controller (rev 50)
    Subsystem: Giga-byte Technology GA-7VAX Onboard Audio (Realtek
    ALC650)
    Control: I/O+ Mem- BusMaster- SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop-
    ParErr- Stepping- SERR- FastB2B-

    Many thanks,

    Jeff Silverman

  2. Re: My sound stopped working under Gutsy Gibbon

    On Thu, 27 Dec 2007 04:53:14 +0000, Jeff Silverman wrote:

    > I have done something to break the sound under Gutsy Gibbon. I think
    > the problem began when I installed kruler but I am not sure. My machine
    > will dual boot Gutsy or Fedora Core 7 and the sound works fine under
    > Fedora so I know my hardware is okay.
    >
    > I have tried going to system->preferences->sound
    > (gnome-sound-properties) and that doesn't solve anything. I have the
    > sound events, music and movies, and audio conferencing set to
    > autodetect. I don't understand the use of the default mixer tracks. I
    > can select one, but then I don't see how to manipulate it to do
    > anything.

    Go into your volume controls and check your PCM channel. I've had cases
    in Ubuntu in the past (though it's never happened with Gutsy so far)
    where it would magically set itself to 0 resulting in no sound.

    You should have a little symbol in your top gnome panel bar that looks
    like a speaker. Double click that to get your volume controls.

    Then check under playback for PCM. You may have to go to Edit-
    >Preferences from within the volume control window to enable the PCM

    channel if it's not visible.

    I can't say for sure if that is your problem, but it is my best somewhat
    educated guess.

    --
    Stephan
    2003 Yamaha R6

    君の事思い出す日なんてないのは
    君の事忘れたときがないから

  3. Re: My sound stopped working under Gutsy Gibbon

    I found my solution. I did not install the gnome volume control
    application on my applications menu, so I did not know it was there.
    Once I got that figured out, I found out that my PCM output was muted.
    Unmute it and I get sound!

+ Reply to Thread