Ubuntu retaining information - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Ubuntu retaining information - Ubuntu ; By mistake I uninstalled my Pans newsreader. Jeesh, I thought, now when I reinstall it I'll have to go through the whole installation ritual again. But, wait, I reinstalled, and all of my previous settings were there. Now that was ...

  1. Ubuntu retaining information

    By mistake I uninstalled my Pans newsreader. Jeesh, I thought, now when I
    reinstall it I'll have to go through the whole installation ritual again.
    But, wait, I reinstalled, and all of my previous settings were there. Now
    that was strange. Why would my previous settings still be there? Isn't
    the uninstall utility supposed to remove EVERYTHING? What else is it not
    removing from other uninstalls?

    Al

  2. Re: Ubuntu retaining information

    On Wed, 26 Dec 2007 20:04:15 GMT
    Al wrote:

    > By mistake I uninstalled my Pans newsreader. Jeesh, I thought, now
    > when I reinstall it I'll have to go through the whole installation
    > ritual again. But, wait, I reinstalled, and all of my previous
    > settings were there. Now that was strange. Why would my previous
    > settings still be there? Isn't the uninstall utility supposed to
    > remove EVERYTHING? What else is it not removing from other uninstalls?

    Uninstalling removes everything from your system but it still leaves
    your configuration files in your home directory.

    These are generally located in hidden directories. I think pan is .pan
    or .pan2 or something.

    Try this at a command prompt to see them: ls -la ~/.pan*

  3. Re: Ubuntu retaining information

    On Wed, 26 Dec 2007 20:04:15 GMT,
    Al wrote:
    > By mistake I uninstalled my Pans newsreader. Jeesh, I thought, now
    > when I reinstall it I'll have to go through the whole installation
    > ritual again. But, wait, I reinstalled, and all of my previous
    > settings were there. Now that was strange. Why would my previous
    > settings still be there? Isn't the uninstall utility supposed to
    > remove EVERYTHING? What else is it not removing from other
    > uninstalls?

    uninstall will remove programs and libraries, not config or data
    files. If you tell it to purge, it will remove system config files.
    User specific data is stored in your home directory and will not be
    removed by the system.

    HTH,

    Michael C.
    --
    mjchappell@verizon.net http://mcsuper5.freeshell.org/

    "If we knew what it was we were doing, it would not be called
    research, would it?" - Albert Einstein

  4. Re: Ubuntu retaining information

    Al writes:

    > By mistake I uninstalled my Pans newsreader. Jeesh, I thought, now when I
    > reinstall it I'll have to go through the whole installation ritual again.
    > But, wait, I reinstalled, and all of my previous settings were there. Now
    > that was strange. Why would my previous settings still be there? Isn't
    > the uninstall utility supposed to remove EVERYTHING? What else is it not
    > removing from other uninstalls?
    >
    > Al

    No. It keeps your individual data. "Complete removal" might remove that
    but it depends on the package afaik.

+ Reply to Thread