Bookmarks transfers - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Bookmarks transfers - Ubuntu ; I have just loaded 7.10 onto a laptop I have received. I would like to copy my Firefox bookmarks from my desktop to my laptop. How do I do this? I can import bookmarks, but I can't find a way ...

  1. Bookmarks transfers

    I have just loaded 7.10 onto a laptop I have received. I would like to
    copy my Firefox bookmarks from my desktop to my laptop. How do I do this?

    I can import bookmarks, but I can't find a way to export them. Any ideas?

    Thanks in advance.

    Al

  2. Re: Bookmarks transfers

    On Wed, 26 Dec 2007 20:01:06 GMT,
    Al wrote:
    > I have just loaded 7.10 onto a laptop I have received. I would like to
    > copy my Firefox bookmarks from my desktop to my laptop. How do I do this?
    >
    > I can import bookmarks, but I can't find a way to export them. Any ideas?

    In my case, my bookmarks file is:

    ~/.mozilla/firefox/htqyvjj9.default/bookmarks.html

    Your profile directory will be different, but will probably be
    similar, copy it from your profile directory on your desktop to the
    profile directory on your laptop.

    Make sure firefox is closed on both machines before you do this.

    HTH,

    Michael C.
    --
    mjchappell@verizon.net http://mcsuper5.freeshell.org/

    The worst sin towards our fellow creatures is not to hate them, but to
    be indifferent to them; that's the essence of inhumanity. - G.B. Shaw

  3. Re: Bookmarks transfers

    On Wed, 26 Dec 2007 17:08:22 -0500, Fred Williams wrote:

    > On Wednesday 26 December 2007 15:24, Michael C. wrote:
    >
    >> On Wed, 26 Dec 2007 20:01:06 GMT,
    >> Al wrote:
    >>> I have just loaded 7.10 onto a laptop I have received. I would like
    >>> to copy my Firefox bookmarks from my desktop to my laptop. How do I
    >>> do this?
    >>>
    >>> I can import bookmarks, but I can't find a way to export them. Any
    >>> ideas?

    >> In my case, my bookmarks file is:
    >>
    >> ~/.mozilla/firefox/htqyvjj9.default/bookmarks.html
    >>
    >> Your profile directory will be different, but will probably be similar,
    >> copy it from your profile directory on your desktop to the profile
    >> directory on your laptop.
    >>
    >> Make sure firefox is closed on both machines before you do this.
    >>

    > Alternatively, you can pull down the Bookmarks menu and you'll
    > see, "Organize Bookmarks" once you open that window you can pull down
    > the File menu there and you have an export option.

    Jeesh! How simple! Mea culpa!
    Al

  4. Re: Bookmarks transfers

    Fred Williams wrote:
    > On Wednesday 26 December 2007 15:24, Michael C. wrote:
    >
    >> On Wed, 26 Dec 2007 20:01:06 GMT,
    >> Al wrote:
    >>> I have just loaded 7.10 onto a laptop I have received. I would like
    >>> to copy my Firefox bookmarks from my desktop to my laptop. How do I
    >>> do this?
    >>>
    >>> I can import bookmarks, but I can't find a way to export them. Any
    >>> ideas?

    >> In my case, my bookmarks file is:
    >>
    >> ~/.mozilla/firefox/htqyvjj9.default/bookmarks.html
    >>
    >> Your profile directory will be different, but will probably be
    >> similar, copy it from your profile directory on your desktop to the
    >> profile directory on your laptop.
    >>
    >> Make sure firefox is closed on both machines before you do this.
    >>

    > Alternatively, you can pull down the Bookmarks menu and you'll
    > see, "Organize Bookmarks" once you open that window you can pull down
    > the File menu there and you have an export option.

    I learn something new every time I read this group. It sounds to simple
    to be true, but it is!

  5. Re: Bookmarks transfers

    Al illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    > I have just loaded 7.10 onto a laptop I have received. I would like to
    > copy my Firefox bookmarks from my desktop to my laptop. How do I do this?
    >
    > I can import bookmarks, but I can't find a way to export them. Any ideas?
    >
    > Thanks in advance.

    As well as the other advice you've received, you could also try the
    "foxmarks" browser extension. I like it and it turns the task of
    bookmakr management a thing of the past.

    --
    Moog

    mashed potatoes"

  6. Re: Bookmarks transfers

    On Wed, 26 Dec 2007 20:01:06 GMT, Al wrote:

    >I have just loaded 7.10 onto a laptop I have received. I would like to
    >copy my Firefox bookmarks from my desktop to my laptop. How do I do this?
    >
    >I can import bookmarks, but I can't find a way to export them. Any ideas?
    >
    >Thanks in advance.
    >
    >Al

    ====================
    In foxfire click on tools/add-ons

    scroll to the bottom and clcik on "get add-ons"

    install FEBE in both copies of Firefox

    use FEBE to export all the settings, bookmarks, etc. from the
    desktop Firefox to a file

    copy this file(s) to your laptop

    use FEBE in your laptop Firefox to import the settings,
    bookmarks, etc. from these files.

    This will work between the windows and linux versions of Firefox.

  7. Re: Bookmarks transfers

    In alt.os.linux.ubuntu, Al had the audacity to say that:

    > I have just loaded 7.10 onto a laptop I have received. I would like to
    > copy my Firefox bookmarks from my desktop to my laptop. How do I do this?
    >
    > I can import bookmarks, but I can't find a way to export them. Any ideas?
    >
    > Thanks in advance.
    >
    > Al

    It's called bookmarks.html and it's a few levels under your .mozilla dir in
    ur ~ folder. Just copy it over and import or simply substitute
    it into your .mozilla subdirectory.

    *R* *H*

    --
    AWAKE! FEAR! FIRE! FOES! AWAKE!