Gnome window manager missing - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Gnome window manager missing - Ubuntu ; I recently performed an upgrade with my feisty system to gutsy. I typically run Gnome When all was said and done, I had lost the window borders for Gnome. The toolbars at the top and the bottom still exist. I ...

  1. Gnome window manager missing

    I recently performed an upgrade with my feisty system to gutsy. I
    typically run Gnome When all was said and done, I had lost the window
    borders for Gnome. The toolbars at the top and the bottom still
    exist.

    I went ahead and installed Xfce, which I enjoy, but would like to try
    to get the Gnome functionality back. Someone recently posted a
    similar-sounding problem and fixed it by re-installing metacity. I
    tried this approach, but still have the same problem.

    thanks in advance,

    In Vino Veritas
    http://astroturfgarden.com

  2. Re: Gnome window manager missing

    On Tue, 25 Dec 2007 22:45:52 -0600, Kevin T. Neely wrote:

    > I recently performed an upgrade with my feisty system to gutsy. I
    > typically run Gnome When all was said and done, I had lost the window
    > borders for Gnome. The toolbars at the top and the bottom still exist.
    >
    > I went ahead and installed Xfce, which I enjoy, but would like to try to
    > get the Gnome functionality back. Someone recently posted a
    > similar-sounding problem and fixed it by re-installing metacity. I
    > tried this approach, but still have the same problem.
    >
    > thanks in advance,

    Try installing the core files for compiz. Metacity worked for me, but
    compiz core files worked for a guy in a local LUG when metacity didn't.

    Cheers;
    Ed
    --
    History is three men in a room agreeing to a lie.

  3. Re: Gnome window manager missing

    On 2007-12-26, Night0wl wrote:
    > On Tue, 25 Dec 2007 22:45:52 -0600, Kevin T. Neely wrote:
    >
    >> I recently performed an upgrade with my feisty system to gutsy. I
    >> typically run Gnome When all was said and done, I had lost the window
    >> borders for Gnome. The toolbars at the top and the bottom still exist.
    >>

    > Try installing the core files for compiz. Metacity worked for me, but
    > compiz core files worked for a guy in a local LUG when metacity didn't.

    Thank you for the help. I did a reinstall on all the installed compiz
    packages, with no change. I then removed compiz altogether. Still,
    gnome has no window borders around the running applications.

    thanks,

    In Vino Veritas
    http://astroturfgarden.com

  4. Re: Gnome window manager missing

    Kevin T. Neely illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    > On 2007-12-26, Night0wl wrote:
    >> On Tue, 25 Dec 2007 22:45:52 -0600, Kevin T. Neely wrote:
    >>
    >>> I recently performed an upgrade with my feisty system to gutsy. I
    >>> typically run Gnome When all was said and done, I had lost the window
    >>> borders for Gnome. The toolbars at the top and the bottom still exist.
    >>>

    >> Try installing the core files for compiz. Metacity worked for me, but
    >> compiz core files worked for a guy in a local LUG when metacity didn't.

    > Thank you for the help. I did a reinstall on all the installed compiz
    > packages, with no change. I then removed compiz altogether. Still,
    > gnome has no window borders around the running applications.
    >
    > thanks,

    Moog

    mashed potatoes"

  5. Re: Gnome window manager missing

    Kevin T. Neely wrote:
    > I recently performed an upgrade with my feisty system to gutsy. I
    > typically run Gnome When all was said and done, I had lost the window
    > borders for Gnome. The toolbars at the top and the bottom still
    > exist.

    Rename (the directory) .gnome2 to .gnome2.old, log out and back in.

    See if that sets up a default Gnome desktop for you. If not, do the same
    to .gconf and .gconfd and log out and in again.

    Either that, or log in as another user and see if the problem persists.

    --Benjamin Franklin

  6. Re: Gnome window manager missing

    On Wed, 26 Dec 2007 01:38:15 -0600
    "Kevin T. Neely" wrote:

    > On 2007-12-26, Night0wl wrote:
    > > On Tue, 25 Dec 2007 22:45:52 -0600, Kevin T. Neely wrote:
    > >
    > >> I recently performed an upgrade with my feisty system to gutsy. I
    > >> typically run Gnome When all was said and done, I had lost the window
    > >> borders for Gnome. The toolbars at the top and the bottom still exist.
    > >>

    > > Try installing the core files for compiz. Metacity worked for me, but
    > > compiz core files worked for a guy in a local LUG when metacity didn't.

    > Thank you for the help. I did a reinstall on all the installed compiz
    > packages, with no change. I then removed compiz altogether. Still,
    > gnome has no window borders around the running applications.

    Is desktop effects turned on? Have you tried adding/removing the
    restricted video driver?

    --
    Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

  7. Re: Gnome window manager missing

    "Kevin T. Neely" wrote:

    > I recently performed an upgrade with my feisty system to gutsy. I
    > typically run Gnome When all was said and done, I had lost the window
    > borders for Gnome. The toolbars at the top and the bottom still
    > exist.
    >
    > I went ahead and installed Xfce, which I enjoy, but would like to try
    > to get the Gnome functionality back. Someone recently posted a
    > similar-sounding problem and fixed it by re-installing metacity. I
    > tried this approach, but still have the same problem.

    Open a terminal window, and start metacity from the command line (just
    type metacity at the prompt). Do you get nay error messages?

    Florian

  8. Re: Gnome window manager missing

    On 2007-12-26, johnny bobby bee wrote:
    > Kevin T. Neely wrote:
    >> borders for Gnome. The toolbars at the top and the bottom still
    >> exist.

    > Rename (the directory) .gnome2 to .gnome2.old, log out and back in.

    Thank you for this and all the other help. My laptop hard driv
    decided to die while i was working on this and other things. IBM
    lenovo support overnighted a new disk for me and I am currently
    re-installing/configuring a new Gutsy install. Needless to say, I
    have all my window decorations and things look good right now.

    happy holidays,

    In Vino Veritas
    http://astroturfgarden.com

+ Reply to Thread