Funny DNS Problem - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Funny DNS Problem - Ubuntu ; I recently acquired a nice laptop. I had to replace the toasted hard drive. Now it works perfectly. I loaded 7.10 from a CD and got all of the updates, 179 of them, via my DSL. This is my first ...

  1. Funny DNS Problem

    I recently acquired a nice laptop. I had to replace the toasted hard
    drive. Now it works perfectly. I loaded 7.10 from a CD and got all of the
    updates, 179 of them, via my DSL.

    This is my first laptop with wireless built in. It latched onto a
    wireless network in my neighborhood. I didn't realize it until I wondered
    why the connection was so slow. It had arbitrarily glomed onto one of
    nodes. Damn! So I figured out how to turn that off. But then when I
    plugged in my ethernet, I couldn't connect. Jeesh, it just worked a few
    minutes ago.

    So I checked out the network settings and found that the wireless
    connection I had, had completely wiped out the DNS urls I had placed in
    there and put an rcn network domain into the domain window. Cripes, what
    ever happened to security? How was this wireless demon able to change my
    settings? How can I stop that?

    Al

  2. Re: Funny DNS Problem

    On Wed, 26 Dec 2007 01:54:17 +0000, Al wrote:

    > I recently acquired a nice laptop. I had to replace the toasted hard
    > drive. Now it works perfectly. I loaded 7.10 from a CD and got all of the
    > updates, 179 of them, via my DSL.
    >
    > This is my first laptop with wireless built in. It latched onto a
    > wireless network in my neighborhood. I didn't realize it until I wondered
    > why the connection was so slow. It had arbitrarily glomed onto one of
    > nodes. Damn! So I figured out how to turn that off. But then when I
    > plugged in my ethernet, I couldn't connect. Jeesh, it just worked a few
    > minutes ago.
    >
    > So I checked out the network settings and found that the wireless
    > connection I had, had completely wiped out the DNS urls I had placed in
    > there and put an rcn network domain into the domain window. Cripes, what
    > ever happened to security? How was this wireless demon able to change my
    > settings? How can I stop that?

    Were you DHCP enabled?

+ Reply to Thread