Does Ubuntu support boot from USB drive yet? - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Does Ubuntu support boot from USB drive yet? - Ubuntu ; ...

  1. Does Ubuntu support boot from USB drive yet?

  2. Re: Does Ubuntu support boot from USB drive yet?

    "F1" wrote
    Subject: Does Ubuntu support boot from USB drive yet?

    Yes^1

    How to write a newgroup question:

    1 do not start in the subject
    2 create a proper body
    3 create a subject about the body

    1 Some people have a problem which is created by the fact that
    they feel that they have a 'simple' question, so they just ask it
    in the subject

    2 When someone creates a subject asking a question and then
    there's not much else to 'say', they become 'confused' about what
    to do with the body, so they leave it empty. There's a big
    problem with that sequence. The body of a message is where the
    question is going to be answered, not up in the subject.
    Respondents are going to answer a question which is supposed to be
    found in the body, down in the body right underneath the question.
    The subject is *not* a part of the body. Very often newsgroup
    threads are going to be talking about various posts to a thread
    which aren't even about the actual words in the subject.

    The body should be created by providing a proper explanatory
    basis for the question. Some questions don't need much basis. It
    is very common for the question writer to assume that everyone
    else knows what s/he is thinking about or seeing when s/he creates
    a subject, but of course that is not true. A message body should
    be properly based, and the body should be composed of complete
    sentences, because effective newsgroup communication is
    problematic enough without making any assumptions about what
    anyone is thinking about.

    3 After the body has been properly constructed with a basis for
    the question if necessary, and the question itself making no
    assumptions about what anyone is thinking about, then a short
    subject titling the body should be created. The subject does not
    need to be a complete sentence and should be brief but reflecting
    succinctly what the body is about.

    ^1 http://snipr.com/1vszh how to boot an Ubuntu system which is
    installed on a USB device when the computer does not support USB
    booting
    http://snipr.com/1vszj How to install from CF media/USB drive
    using the ''grub'' bootloader.
    http://snipr.com/1vszl how to install Ubuntu by copying the
    contents of the installation CD to an USB memory stick (aka flash
    drive) and making the stick bootable. This is handy for machines
    that do not have a CD drive but can boot from USB media.

    --
    Mike Easter

  3. Re: Does Ubuntu support boot from USB drive yet?

    On Tue, 25 Dec 2007 14:03:42 -0800
    "Mike Easter" wrote:

    > Very often newsgroup
    > threads are going to be talking about various posts to a thread
    > which aren't even about the actual words in the subject.

    In this ng? Nahhhhhhhhhh!

    --
    Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

  4. Re: Does Ubuntu support boot from USB drive yet?

    Trevor Best illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    > On Tue, 25 Dec 2007 14:03:42 -0800
    > "Mike Easter" wrote:
    >
    >> Very often newsgroup
    >> threads are going to be talking about various posts to a thread
    >> which aren't even about the actual words in the subject.

    > In this ng? Nahhhhhhhhhh!

    Aardvark, snort cooler, lithium, cabbage, xorg.conf (just to keep it
    on topic, you know)

    --
    Moog

    "If this is gonna be that kinda party I'm gonna stick my dick in the mashed potatoes"

  5. Re: Does Ubuntu support boot from USB drive yet?

    On 25 Dec 2007 23:10:03 GMT
    Moog wrote:

    > Trevor Best illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    > > On Tue, 25 Dec 2007 14:03:42 -0800
    > > "Mike Easter" wrote:
    > >
    > >> Very often newsgroup
    > >> threads are going to be talking about various posts to a thread
    > >> which aren't even about the actual words in the subject.

    > > In this ng? Nahhhhhhhhhh!

    > Aardvark, snort cooler, lithium, cabbage, xorg.conf (just to keep it
    > on topic, you know)

    Better throw in a win.ini for CBF then, you there Chuck? Merry
    Christmas you old fart :-)

    --
    Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

  6. Re: Does Ubuntu support boot from USB drive yet?

    Trevor Best illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    > On 25 Dec 2007 23:10:03 GMT
    > Moog wrote:
    >
    >> Trevor Best illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:

    >> > In this ng? Nahhhhhhhhhh!

    >> Aardvark, snort cooler, lithium, cabbage, xorg.conf (just to keep it
    >> on topic, you know)

    > Better throw in a win.ini for CBF then, you there Chuck? Merry
    > Christmas you old fart :-)

    Don't invite him im here.

    He'll post two messages and sixteen signatures,
    ;-)

    --
    Moog

    mashed potatoes"

  7. Re: Does Ubuntu support boot from USB drive yet?

    On 25 Dec 2007 23:20:47 GMT
    Moog wrote:

    > Don't invite him im here.
    >
    > He'll post two messages and sixteen signatures,
    > ;-)

    Your keyboard still working? damn!

    --
    Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

  8. Re: Does Ubuntu support boot from USB drive yet?

    Trevor Best illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    > On 25 Dec 2007 23:20:47 GMT
    > Moog wrote:
    >
    >> Don't invite him im here.
    >>
    >> He'll post two messages and sixteen signatures,
    >> ;-)
    >>

    > Your keyboard still working? damn!

    Man. It's Christmas day and "m" is next to "n" for the love of the
    sweet little baby jebus.

    --
    Moog

    mashed potatoes"

  9. Re: Does Ubuntu support boot from USB drive yet?

    On 25 Dec 2007 23:29:40 GMT
    Moog wrote:

    > Trevor Best illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    > > On 25 Dec 2007 23:20:47 GMT
    > > Moog wrote:
    > >
    > >> Don't invite him im here.
    > >>
    > >> He'll post two messages and sixteen signatures,
    > >> ;-)
    > >>

    > > Your keyboard still working? damn!

    > Man. It's Christmas day and "m" is next to "n" for the love of the
    > sweet little baby jebus.

    I hadn't noticed the typo but... LOL! I was actually trying to catch
    you out eating or drinking at the keyboard. Don't know what Guinness
    will do to it.

    --
    Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

  10. Re: Does Ubuntu support boot from USB drive yet?

    Trevor Best illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    > On 25 Dec 2007 23:29:40 GMT
    > Moog wrote:
    >
    >> Trevor Best illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:

    >> > Your keyboard still working? damn!

    >> Man. It's Christmas day and "m" is next to "n" for the love of the
    >> sweet little baby jebus.

    > I hadn't noticed the typo but... LOL! I was actually trying to catch
    > you out eating or drinking at the keyboard. Don't know what Guinness
    > will do to it.

    Eating and drinking at the keyboard on Christmas Day?
    Yup.

    Spelling mistake?
    Yup?

    I'm anything other than predictable.

    Enjoy it mate. I presume your family have drunk too much and are
    safely in the land of nod, rather like mine?

    I also trust you are looking for a Boxing day football fastival of
    pure genius? Some would call it the School of Science. Some would just
    say "Bugger of Windroid". Some would argue that Linux "geeks" would
    argue that "everything just works and it should be left in COLA".

    To be perfgectly honest. I'm going for the "Schoool of Science".

    Hallelujah.

    --
    Moog

    mashed potatoes"