Any experts on Network Manager and Wicd out there? - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Any experts on Network Manager and Wicd out there? - Ubuntu ; Merry Christmas! Now that I have ralink 2500 chipset network adapter cards in both my desktop and laptop, Network Manager (of Ubuntu 7.10) is mysteriously losing the wireless connection with the router. I've reading about the situation on various websites, ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 65

  1. Any experts on Network Manager and Wicd out there?

    Merry Christmas!

    Now that I have ralink 2500 chipset network adapter cards in both my
    desktop and laptop, Network Manager (of Ubuntu 7.10) is mysteriously
    losing the wireless connection with the router.

    I've reading about the situation on various websites, and the problem
    (according to the writers of the webpages) is in Network Manager and
    not the wireless network cards.

    Today I found wicd on the recommendation of a couple of those websites.
    I'm sure that wicd is used by participants of this newsgroup, and I
    need the opinion of the people who have it and use it.

    I have the instructions to install wicd, configure it and how to remove
    Network Manager. What I need are the opinions of the people who
    actually use wicd---and does it drop the connection mysteriously?

    Thanks!

  2. Re: Any experts on Network Manager and Wicd out there?

    Phil Buchman wrote:

    > Now that I have ralink 2500 chipset network adapter cards in

    both my
    > desktop and laptop, Network Manager (of Ubuntu 7.10) is

    mysteriously
    > losing the wireless connection with the router.

    Losing the connection from a distance or losing the connection
    with adjacency?

    --
    Mike Easter

  3. Re: Any experts on Network Manager and Wicd out there?

    Phil Buchman illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    > Merry Christmas!
    >
    > Now that I have ralink 2500 chipset network adapter cards in both my
    > desktop and laptop, Network Manager (of Ubuntu 7.10) is mysteriously
    > losing the wireless connection with the router.
    >
    > I've reading about the situation on various websites, and the problem
    > (according to the writers of the webpages) is in Network Manager and
    > not the wireless network cards.
    >
    > Today I found wicd on the recommendation of a couple of those websites.
    > I'm sure that wicd is used by participants of this newsgroup, and I
    > need the opinion of the people who have it and use it.
    >
    > I have the instructions to install wicd, configure it and how to remove
    > Network Manager. What I need are the opinions of the people who
    > actually use wicd---and does it drop the connection mysteriously?
    >
    > Thanks!

    Phil,

    We had a recent discussion here with "eric". He was suffering with a
    similar issue.

    I suggested he clear his interfaces file out apart from the interfaces
    needed.

    The file is editable by typing
    $ gksudo gedit /etc/network/interfaces

    You then need to ONLY leave your local address, and your wifi address.
    (i've removed my WPA for obvious reasons)

    NOTE: Back up your interfaces file first, just in case
    $ cp /etc/network/interfaces /etc/network/interfaces.backup

    =============

    auto lo
    iface lo inet loopback

    iface wlan0 inet static
    address 192.168.1.15
    netmask 255.255.255.0
    gateway 192.168.1.1

    auto wlan0

    =============

    Your wireless connection may well be a different iface name, Possibly
    ath0, or something similar.

    Once saved, you'll need to restart the networking.....
    $ sudo /etc/init.d/networking restart

    Like I said to Eric. It's worth a try and certainly solved my issue of
    "dropping out" with networking at my place of work.

    HTH.

    --
    Moog

    leather straps."

  4. Re: Any experts on Network Manager and Wicd out there?

    On Tue, 25 Dec 2007 21:45:18 +0000, Moog wrote:

    > Phil Buchman illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    >> Merry Christmas!
    >>
    >> Now that I have ralink 2500 chipset network adapter cards in both my
    >> desktop and laptop, Network Manager (of Ubuntu 7.10) is mysteriously
    >> losing the wireless connection with the router.
    >>
    >> I've reading about the situation on various websites, and the problem
    >> (according to the writers of the webpages) is in Network Manager and
    >> not the wireless network cards.
    >>
    >> Today I found wicd on the recommendation of a couple of those websites.
    >> I'm sure that wicd is used by participants of this newsgroup, and I
    >> need the opinion of the people who have it and use it.
    >>
    >> I have the instructions to install wicd, configure it and how to remove
    >> Network Manager. What I need are the opinions of the people who
    >> actually use wicd---and does it drop the connection mysteriously?
    >>
    >> Thanks!

    > Phil,
    >
    > We had a recent discussion here with "eric". He was suffering with a
    > similar issue.
    >
    > I suggested he clear his interfaces file out apart from the interfaces
    > needed.
    >
    > The file is editable by typing
    > $ gksudo gedit /etc/network/interfaces
    >
    > You then need to ONLY leave your local address, and your wifi address.
    > (i've removed my WPA for obvious reasons)

    What "obvious" reasons? Mine works quite well under WPA2/TKIP.

    Cheers;
    Ed
    --
    History is three men in a room agreeing to a lie.

  5. Re: Any experts on Network Manager and Wicd out there?

    Night0wl illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:

    > What "obvious" reasons? Mine works quite well under WPA2/TKIP.

    Hi Noghtowl. The obvious reason is that my WPA key would have been
    publicly revealed.

    Happy new year.

    --
    Moog

    mashed potatoes"

  6. Re: Any experts on Network Manager and Wicd out there?

    On Tue, 25 Dec 2007 23:16:55 +0000, Moog wrote:

    > Night0wl illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    >
    >> What "obvious" reasons? Mine works quite well under WPA2/TKIP.

    > Hi Nightowl. The obvious reason is that my WPA key would have been
    > publicly revealed.

    Elaborate, please. If you're talking about showing IWCONFIG in a post, I
    could understand, but didn't see such. How would you be exposed?

    Cheers;
    Ed
    --
    History is three men in a room agreeing to a lie.

  7. Re: Any experts on Network Manager and Wicd out there?

    Night0wl illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    > On Tue, 25 Dec 2007 23:16:55 +0000, Moog wrote:
    >
    >> Night0wl illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    >>
    >>> What "obvious" reasons? Mine works quite well under WPA2/TKIP.

    >> Hi Nightowl. The obvious reason is that my WPA key would have been
    >> publicly revealed.

    > Elaborate, please. If you're talking about showing IWCONFIG in a post, I
    > could understand, but didn't see such. How would you be exposed?

    Errmmmm....

    Because my wpa key was visible if I posted my "unaltered" interfaces
    file.

    Does that explain it?

    --
    Moog

    mashed potatoes"

  8. Re: Any experts on Network Manager and Wicd out there?

    Moog wrote:

    > Night0wl illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    >> On Tue, 25 Dec 2007 23:16:55 +0000, Moog wrote:
    >>
    >>> Night0wl illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:

    >>> Hi Nightowl. The obvious reason is that my WPA key would have been
    >>> publicly revealed.

    >> Elaborate, please. If you're talking about showing IWCONFIG in a post, I
    >> could understand, but didn't see such. How would you be exposed?

    > Errmmmm....
    >
    > Because my wpa key was visible if I posted my "unaltered" interfaces
    > file.
    >
    > Does that explain it?

    You must have some powerful radio if you're worried about the people that
    hang around here being able to tap into your wireless network if you
    publish your key. What you running there? Radio Moscow?

    Cheers.

    --
    Boot It Up!
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=-kql8cWqiv8

  9. Re: Any experts on Network Manager and Wicd out there?

    On Tue, 25 Dec 2007 23:43:12 +0000, Moog wrote:

    > Night0wl illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    >> On Tue, 25 Dec 2007 23:16:55 +0000, Moog wrote:
    >>
    >>> Night0wl illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:

    >>> Hi Nightowl. The obvious reason is that my WPA key would have been
    >>> publicly revealed.

    >> Elaborate, please. If you're talking about showing IWCONFIG in a post,
    >> I could understand, but didn't see such. How would you be exposed?

    > Errmmmm....
    >
    > Because my wpa key was visible if I posted my "unaltered" interfaces
    > file.
    >
    > Does that explain it?

    Yep. To a "T." Thank you.

    Cheers;
    Ed
    --
    History is three men in a room agreeing to a lie.

  10. Re: Any experts on Network Manager and Wicd out there?

    On Wed, 26 Dec 2007 00:51:05 +0000, NoStop wrote:

    > Moog wrote:
    >
    >> Night0wl illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:

    >>> Elaborate, please. If you're talking about showing IWCONFIG in a
    >>> post, I could understand, but didn't see such. How would you be
    >>> exposed?

    >> Errmmmm....
    >>
    >> Because my wpa key was visible if I posted my "unaltered" interfaces
    >> file.
    >>
    >> Does that explain it?
    >>

    > You must have some powerful radio if you're worried about the people
    > that hang around here being able to tap into your wireless network if
    > you publish your key. What you running there? Radio Moscow?

    I can understand his concerns. I run a small 8-station private network,
    and wouldn't want my security access codes exposed either. No matter if
    it were VOA, Radio Moscow, or just a family network sharing holiday
    photos. Though doubtful, you could be a local (to them) war-driver...

    Cheers;
    Ed
    --
    History is three men in a room agreeing to a lie.

  11. Re: Any experts on Network Manager and Wicd out there?

    NoStop illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    > Moog wrote:
    >
    >> Night0wl illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:

    >>> Elaborate, please. If you're talking about showing IWCONFIG in a post, I
    >>> could understand, but didn't see such. How would you be exposed?

    >> Errmmmm....
    >>
    >> Because my wpa key was visible if I posted my "unaltered" interfaces
    >> file.
    >>
    >> Does that explain it?
    >>

    > You must have some powerful radio if you're worried about the people that
    > hang around here being able to tap into your wireless network if you
    > publish your key. What you running there? Radio Moscow?

    I see. Security is not your concern.

    In which case, could yous post your long credit card number followed
    by the expiry date and security code (the last three digits close to
    the signature strip).

    Thanks in advance.

    --
    Moog

    mashed potatoes"

  12. Re: Any experts on Network Manager and Wicd out there?

    Moog wrote:

    > NoStop illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    >> Moog wrote:
    >>
    >>> Night0wl illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:

    >>> Errmmmm....
    >>>
    >>> Because my wpa key was visible if I posted my "unaltered" interfaces
    >>> file.
    >>>
    >>> Does that explain it?
    >>>

    >> You must have some powerful radio if you're worried about the people that
    >> hang around here being able to tap into your wireless network if you
    >> publish your key. What you running there? Radio Moscow?

    > I see. Security is not your concern.

    Yes it is, but I'm not going to be a juvenile over the whole thing like you
    appear to be. Believe me, I have no idea where "Moog" lives, who "Moog"
    really is, nor any intention on trying to find out so I can war drive over
    to your place to hop on to your wireless. Really, YOU aren't that important
    and I don't think any other participant in this ng has any intention of
    doing it either.

    Cheers.

    --
    Try Ubuntu ...
    http://www.ubuntu.com

  13. Re: Any experts on Network Manager and Wicd out there?

    On Tue, 25 Dec 2007 21:45:18 +0000, Moog wrote:

    > Phil Buchman illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    >> Merry Christmas!
    >>
    >> Now that I have ralink 2500 chipset network adapter cards in both my
    >> desktop and laptop, Network Manager (of Ubuntu 7.10) is mysteriously
    >> losing the wireless connection with the router.
    >>
    >> I've reading about the situation on various websites, and the problem
    >> (according to the writers of the webpages) is in Network Manager and
    >> not the wireless network cards.
    >>
    >> Today I found wicd on the recommendation of a couple of those websites.
    >> I'm sure that wicd is used by participants of this newsgroup, and I
    >> need the opinion of the people who have it and use it.
    >>
    >> I have the instructions to install wicd, configure it and how to remove
    >> Network Manager. What I need are the opinions of the people who
    >> actually use wicd---and does it drop the connection mysteriously?
    >>
    >> Thanks!

    > Phil,
    >
    > We had a recent discussion here with "eric". He was suffering with a
    > similar issue.
    >
    > I suggested he clear his interfaces file out apart from the interfaces
    > needed.
    >
    > The file is editable by typing
    > $ gksudo gedit /etc/network/interfaces
    >
    > You then need to ONLY leave your local address, and your wifi address.
    > (i've removed my WPA for obvious reasons)
    >
    > NOTE: Back up your interfaces file first, just in case $ cp
    > /etc/network/interfaces /etc/network/interfaces.backup
    >
    > =============
    >
    > auto lo
    > iface lo inet loopback
    >
    > iface wlan0 inet static
    > address 192.168.1.15
    > netmask 255.255.255.0
    > gateway 192.168.1.1
    >
    > auto wlan0
    >
    > =============
    >
    > Your wireless connection may well be a different iface name, Possibly
    > ath0, or something similar.
    >
    > Once saved, you'll need to restart the networking..... $ sudo
    > /etc/init.d/networking restart
    >
    > Like I said to Eric. It's worth a try and certainly solved my issue of
    > "dropping out" with networking at my place of work.
    >
    > HTH.

    I did try this, and it seems to have solved my issues. Admittedly, I
    have changed my network card for an Atheros one, but with either card I
    have experienced no more problems. Obviously, with any intermittent fault
    you can never be absolutely certain that a fix has been achieved, but as
    time goes on one's confidence certainly increases.

    What I did find interesting during the exercise was that the relevant
    lines which Moog sugggested, were originally absent from /etc/network/
    interfaces when I looked for them. I assume that network-manager had
    written them in, and then deleted them at random, at least that is what
    comes to my inexpert mind. Any suggestions on that one?

    Wicd seems to work well. I like it.

    Thank you Moog.

    --
    Eric

  14. Re: Any experts on Network Manager and Wicd out there?

    On Wed, 26 Dec 2007 11:17:51 GMT
    NoStop wrote:

    > Yes it is, but I'm not going to be a juvenile over the whole thing like you
    > appear to be. Believe me, I have no idea where "Moog" lives, who "Moog"
    > really is, nor any intention on trying to find out so I can war drive over
    > to your place to hop on to your wireless. Really, YOU aren't that important
    > and I don't think any other participant in this ng has any intention of
    > doing it either.

    Yea, 'cause getting bent out of shape over Moog not giving you his wpa
    key and banging on about radio moscow was a real grow'd up thing to do.
    Plus how do you know the intent of everyone in this newsgroup?

    --
    Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

  15. Re: Any experts on Network Manager and Wicd out there?

    Night0wl writes:

    > On Tue, 25 Dec 2007 23:16:55 +0000, Moog wrote:
    >
    >> Night0wl illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    >>
    >>> What "obvious" reasons? Mine works quite well under WPA2/TKIP.

    >> Hi Nightowl. The obvious reason is that my WPA key would have been
    >> publicly revealed.

    > Elaborate, please. If you're talking about showing IWCONFIG in a post, I
    > could understand, but didn't see such. How would you be exposed?

    Huh? Do you know what a WPA key is?

    --
    Almendralejo 2008. ¡¡La cita Olimpica!!

  16. Re: Any experts on Network Manager and Wicd out there?

    NoStop said, about not being concerned with
    security:
    > Yes it is, but I'm not going to be a juvenile over the whole thing
    > like you appear to be. Believe me, I have no idea where "Moog" lives,
    > who "Moog" really is, nor any intention on trying to find out so I
    > can war drive over to your place to hop on to your wireless. Really,
    > YOU aren't that important and I don't think any other participant in
    > this ng has any intention of doing it either.
    >
    > Cheers.

    I like to think of it locally, not globally. Several people in my
    neighborhood know who Cybe R. Wizard is; he works on their computers
    and teaches them about the inter-tubes.
    Any one of them might happen upon this public forum.

    Cybe R. Wizard
    --
    Nice computers don't go down.
    Larry Niven, Steven Barnes

  17. Re: Any experts on Network Manager and Wicd out there?

    NoStop writes:

    > Moog wrote:
    >
    >> NoStop illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:

    >>> You must have some powerful radio if you're worried about the people that
    >>> hang around here being able to tap into your wireless network if you
    >>> publish your key. What you running there? Radio Moscow?

    >> I see. Security is not your concern.
    >>

    > Yes it is, but I'm not going to be a juvenile over the whole thing like you
    > appear to be. Believe me, I have no idea where "Moog" lives, who
    > "Moog"

    Why do you constantly try to pick fights? How is keeping your wireless
    secure being juvenile. Frankly I think you're an irresponsible dickhead
    if you think that kind of security is unnecessary. God help those whose
    system you help set up if that's your attitude.

    > really is, nor any intention on trying to find out so I can war drive over
    > to your place to hop on to your wireless. Really, YOU aren't that important
    > and I don't think any other participant in this ng has any intention of
    > doing it either.

    It's you, as usual, making it personal. I'm sure Moog never thought for
    one minute that you would. And he never said he was important.

    --
    Contradiction <--> Accord not in it
    -- anagrama, por E. Tyron

  18. Re: Any experts on Network Manager and Wicd out there?

    Hadron wrote:

    > NoStop writes:
    >
    >> Moog wrote:
    >>
    >>> NoStop illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:

    >>> I see. Security is not your concern.
    >>>

    >> Yes it is, but I'm not going to be a juvenile over the whole thing like
    >> you appear to be. Believe me, I have no idea where "Moog" lives, who
    >> "Moog"

    > Why do you constantly try to pick fights? How is keeping your wireless
    > secure being juvenile. Frankly I think you're an irresponsible dickhead
    > if you think that kind of security is unnecessary. God help those whose
    > system you help set up if that's your attitude.
    >
    >> really is, nor any intention on trying to find out so I can war drive
    >> over to your place to hop on to your wireless. Really, YOU aren't that
    >> important and I don't think any other participant in this ng has any
    >> intention of doing it either.

    > It's you, as usual, making it personal. I'm sure Moog never thought for
    > one minute that you would. And he never said he was important.
    >

    >> Cheers.

    Hadron, just **** off. Go back to COLA. There you are really appreciated.

    Cheers.

    --
    Boot It Up!
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=-kql8cWqiv8

  19. Re: Any experts on Network Manager and Wicd out there?

    NoStop writes:

    > Hadron wrote:
    >
    >> NoStop writes:

    >>> Yes it is, but I'm not going to be a juvenile over the whole thing like
    >>> you appear to be. Believe me, I have no idea where "Moog" lives, who
    >>> "Moog"

    >> Why do you constantly try to pick fights? How is keeping your wireless
    >> secure being juvenile. Frankly I think you're an irresponsible dickhead
    >> if you think that kind of security is unnecessary. God help those whose
    >> system you help set up if that's your attitude.
    >>
    >>> really is, nor any intention on trying to find out so I can war drive
    >>> over to your place to hop on to your wireless. Really, YOU aren't that
    >>> important and I don't think any other participant in this ng has any
    >>> intention of doing it either.

    >> It's you, as usual, making it personal. I'm sure Moog never thought for
    >> one minute that you would. And he never said he was important.
    >>

    >>> Cheers.

    > Hadron, just **** off. Go back to COLA. There you are really appreciated.
    >
    > Cheers.

    No. You **** off. You're nothing but a **** stirring wanker. Good to see
    I had you pegged right the first time. You do nothing but stir the ****e
    - cleverly I admit.

  20. Re: Any experts on Network Manager and Wicd out there?

    Hadron wrote:

    > NoStop writes:
    >
    >> Hadron wrote:

    >>> Why do you constantly try to pick fights? How is keeping your wireless
    >>> secure being juvenile. Frankly I think you're an irresponsible dickhead
    >>> if you think that kind of security is unnecessary. God help those whose
    >>> system you help set up if that's your attitude.

    >>> It's you, as usual, making it personal. I'm sure Moog never thought for
    >>> one minute that you would. And he never said he was important.

    >> Hadron, just **** off. Go back to COLA. There you are really appreciated.
    >>
    >> Cheers.

    > No. You **** off. You're nothing but a **** stirring wanker. Good to see
    > I had you pegged right the first time. You do nothing but stir the ****e
    > - cleverly I admit.

    You wouldn't know clever if it hit you in the face. You're obviously looking
    for an argument, but I'd done with you. Just tired of another pompous Brit.
    Please go back and play in COLA. That's your true home.

    Cheers.