How to prevent totem from starting automatically? - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on How to prevent totem from starting automatically? - Ubuntu ; I've installed VLC to play DVDs and video files. But when I stick a DVD in the drive, totem automatically starts playing it. How can I stop this happening? --- Synchronet 3.14b-Linux NewsLink 1.85 Falcon BBS - telnet://bbs.falconbbs.nl...

  1. How to prevent totem from starting automatically?

    I've installed VLC to play DVDs and video files. But when I stick a DVD in the
    drive, totem automatically starts playing it. How can I stop this happening?
    --- Synchronet 3.14b-Linux NewsLink 1.85
    Falcon BBS - telnet://bbs.falconbbs.nl

  2. Re: How to prevent totem from starting automatically?

    In alt.os.linux.ubuntu, T0p had the audacity to say that:

    > I've installed VLC to play DVDs and video files. But when I stick a DVD in the
    > drive, totem automatically starts playing it. How can I stop this happening?
    > --- Synchronet 3.14b-Linux NewsLink 1.85
    > Falcon BBS - telnet://bbs.falconbbs.nl

    Google file associations default applications [Ubuntu] [Kubuntu]...

    HTH

    *R* *H*

    --
    AWAKE! FEAR! FIRE! FOES! AWAKE!
    FEAR! FIRE! FOES!

  3. Re: How to prevent totem from starting automatically?

    T0p wrote:
    > I've installed VLC to play DVDs and video files. But when I stick a DVD in the
    > drive, totem automatically starts playing it. How can I stop this happening?
    > --- Synchronet 3.14b-Linux NewsLink 1.85
    > Falcon BBS - telnet://bbs.falconbbs.nl

    Do you just want to stop totem from automatically starting, or do you
    want to set VLC to be the default application which starts when you
    insert a DVD?

    My guess is that you should go to System | Preferences | Preferred
    Applications and set VLC as your default Multimedia application.

    --
    Dean

+ Reply to Thread