Looking for simple (very) speech to text software - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Looking for simple (very) speech to text software - Ubuntu ; Can anyone recommend a super simple speech to text system for Ubuntu? I don't need to command programs or anything like that. I just need to speak into the microphone and have words converted to text. I would prefer to ...

  1. Looking for simple (very) speech to text software

    Can anyone recommend a super simple speech to text system for Ubuntu?

    I don't need to command programs or anything like that. I just need to
    speak into the microphone and have words converted to text. I would prefer
    to "go native" on this rather than use a Windows machine and/ or Wine.

    Thanks.

  2. Re: Looking for simple (very) speech to text software

    Steve Harder-Kucera wrote:

    > Can anyone recommend a super simple speech to text system for Ubuntu?
    >
    > I don't need to command programs or anything like that. I just need to
    > speak into the microphone and have words converted to text. I would prefer
    > to "go native" on this rather than use a Windows machine and/ or Wine.
    >
    > Thanks.

    Do you mean something like this?

    http://youtube.com/watch?v=KyLqUf4cdwc

    If so, I can see why you'd not want to use a Windoze machine. :-)

    Cheers.

    --
    Boot It Up!
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=-kql8cWqiv8

  3. Re: Looking for simple (very) speech to text software

    On Tue, 25 Dec 2007 15:38:40 +0000, NoStop wrote (Brilliantly I might
    add):

    > Do you mean something like this?
    >
    > http://youtube.com/watch?v=KyLqUf4cdwc
    >
    > If so, I can see why you'd not want to use a Windoze machine.
    >
    > Cheers.

    That was priceless and painful.

    Actually I've used Dragon's Naturally Speaking with some success in the
    past. It was far better than what I just watched in the video.

  4. Re: Looking for simple (very) speech to text software

    Steve Harder-Kucera wrote:

    > On Tue, 25 Dec 2007 15:38:40 +0000, NoStop wrote (Brilliantly I might
    > add):
    >
    >> Do you mean something like this?
    >>
    >> http://youtube.com/watch?v=KyLqUf4cdwc
    >>
    >> If so, I can see why you'd not want to use a Windoze machine.
    >>
    >> Cheers.

    > That was priceless and painful.
    >
    > Actually I've used Dragon's Naturally Speaking with some success in the
    > past. It was far better than what I just watched in the video.

    That's because Naturally Speaking isn't made by Micro$oft.

    Cheers.

    --
    Boot It Up!
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=-kql8cWqiv8

  5. Re: Looking for simple (very) speech to text software

    On 25 Dec 2007, in the Usenet newsgroup alt.os.linux.ubuntu, in article
    <47705723$0$84193$742ec2ed@news.sonic.net>, Steve Harder-Kucera wrote:

    Holiday Season Greetings.

    >Can anyone recommend a super simple speech to text system for Ubuntu?

    Not specifically, but

    >I don't need to command programs or anything like that. I just need to
    >speak into the microphone and have words converted to text. I would prefer
    >to "go native" on this rather than use a Windows machine and/ or Wine.

    -rw-rw-r-- 1 gferg ldp 17175 May 3 2002 Accessibility-Dev-HOWTO
    -rw-rw-r-- 1 gferg ldp 40370 Jul 11 2002 Accessibility-HOWTO

    The -Dev relates to Development, and may give you ideas. The second
    document contains a section:

    5.2.2. Speech Recognition

    Speech recognition utilities are used by people with mobility impairments,
    so they can operate the computer using voice control.

    which may provide some additional clues. Both documents should be on
    your system, in /usr/share/HOWTO/ but if not, any search engine will
    find copies on a number of LDP mirror sites.

    Old guy

  6. Re: Looking for simple (very) speech to text software

    On Tue, 25 Dec 2007 18:55:26 +0000, NoStop wrote:

    > Steve Harder-Kucera wrote:
    >
    >> On Tue, 25 Dec 2007 15:38:40 +0000, NoStop wrote (Brilliantly I might
    >> add):
    >>
    >>> Do you mean something like this?
    >>>
    >>> http://youtube.com/watch?v=KyLqUf4cdwc
    >>>
    >>> If so, I can see why you'd not want to use a Windoze machine.
    >>>
    >>> Cheers.

    >> That was priceless and painful.
    >>
    >> Actually I've used Dragon's Naturally Speaking with some success in the
    >> past. It was far better than what I just watched in the video.

    > That's because Naturally Speaking isn't made by Micro$oft.

    Here's the latest and greatest Windoze Vista installation.

    http://youtube.com/watch?v=FVbf9tOGwno&feature=related

    Cheers
    Ed
    --
    History is three men in a room agreeing to a lie.

+ Reply to Thread