DVD/CD label application? - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on DVD/CD label application? - Ubuntu ; Suggestion(s) wanted for an application for making DVD/CD labels. Preferably one designed specially for labeling DVD/CD....

  1. DVD/CD label application?

    Suggestion(s) wanted for an application for making DVD/CD labels.
    Preferably one designed specially for labeling DVD/CD.

  2. Re: DVD/CD label application?

    Meat Plow skrev:
    > Suggestion(s) wanted for an application for making DVD/CD labels.
    > Preferably one designed specially for labeling DVD/CD.

    What kind of labelling system are you talking about. At my computer the
    lightScribe labelling system is working OK, and I am mostly using that
    system:
    http://www.lightscribe.com/downloadS...nux/index.aspx
    But not all DVD-RW drives support lightscribing...

    --
    Best regards Jacob Tranholm
    Karl R. Popper: Observation statements and statements of experimental

  3. Re: DVD/CD label application?

    On Mon, 24 Dec 2007 17:28:19 -0500, Meat Plow enlightened us with the
    following:

    > Suggestion(s) wanted for an application for making DVD/CD labels.
    > Preferably one designed specially for labeling DVD/CD.

    The Gimp has some nice templates for that. One downside: you can't do
    "circle text" with The Gimp (e.g. for credit text along the edge of the
    disc).

  4. Re: DVD/CD label application?

    On Mon, 24 Dec 2007 17:28:19 -0500, Meat Plow wrote:

    > Suggestion(s) wanted for an application for making DVD/CD labels.
    > Preferably one designed specially for labeling DVD/CD.

    http://www.shallowsky.com/software/cdplugins/

  5. Re: DVD/CD label application?

    Meat Plow wrote:
    > Suggestion(s) wanted for an application for making DVD/CD labels.
    > Preferably one designed specially for labeling DVD/CD.

    You're a bit vague. Do you mean labelling the actual disk or printing
    labels for the cases?

    Lots of people have responded to the first case. The second would be to
    look into a little program called (I think) cdlabelgen. You just cut
    along the lines and the label is ready to insert into the case.

    Later
    Mike

  6. Re: DVD/CD label application?

    On Tue, 25 Dec 2007 02:00:01 +0100, Jacob Tranholm wrote:

    > Meat Plow skrev:
    >> Suggestion(s) wanted for an application for making DVD/CD labels.
    >> Preferably one designed specially for labeling DVD/CD.

    > What kind of labelling system are you talking about. At my computer the
    > lightScribe labelling system is working OK, and I am mostly using that
    > system:
    > http://www.lightscribe.com/downloadS...nux/index.aspx
    > But not all DVD-RW drives support lightscribing...

    I have Lightscribe. I meant printing CD labels on CD label paper.

  7. Re: DVD/CD label application?

    On Tue, 25 Dec 2007 18:04:41 +0000, The Wizard of Oz wrote:

    > Meat Plow wrote:
    >> Suggestion(s) wanted for an application for making DVD/CD labels.
    >> Preferably one designed specially for labeling DVD/CD.

    > You're a bit vague. Do you mean labelling the actual disk or printing
    > labels for the cases?

    Adhesive labels on the media itself.

    > Lots of people have responded to the first case. The second would be to
    > look into a little program called (I think) cdlabelgen. You just cut
    > along the lines and the label is ready to insert into the case.

    Well there has to be an app that I can print a label then stick it on a
    DVD. Guess I'll do some more googling.

  8. Re: DVD/CD label application?

    Meat Plow wrote:
    > Suggestion(s) wanted for an application for making DVD/CD labels.
    > Preferably one designed specially for labeling DVD/CD.

    Download KCDlabel.

    Will do round label printing even directly onto the DVD disk if you have
    the white printable type of surface and the right printer. Even your own
    photos.
    It will do labels for boxes too.
    Don
    Keep smiling.

  9. Re: DVD/CD label application?

    On Wed, 26 Dec 2007 11:58:34 +1030, don wrote:

    > Meat Plow wrote:
    >> Suggestion(s) wanted for an application for making DVD/CD labels.
    >> Preferably one designed specially for labeling DVD/CD.

    > Download KCDlabel.
    >
    > Will do round label printing even directly onto the DVD disk if you have
    > the white printable type of surface and the right printer. Even your own
    > photos.
    > It will do labels for boxes too.
    > Don
    > Keep smiling.

    Can't configure the source, complains about not having libjpeg and qt
    3.0.3 lins both of which I have (have qt 3.3.7 and qt4 with qt3 compats.
    I'm not an avid builder so i may be missing something, maybe
    something simple. Maybe it's too old of a source for KDE 3.5.6..

  10. Re: DVD/CD label application?

    Meat Plow wrote:
    > On Wed, 26 Dec 2007 11:58:34 +1030, don wrote:
    >
    >> Meat Plow wrote:
    >>> Suggestion(s) wanted for an application for making DVD/CD labels.
    >>> Preferably one designed specially for labeling DVD/CD.

    >> Download KCDlabel.
    >>
    >> Will do round label printing even directly onto the DVD disk if you have
    >> the white printable type of surface and the right printer. Even your own
    >> photos.
    >> It will do labels for boxes too.
    >> Don
    >> Keep smiling.

    > Can't configure the source, complains about not having libjpeg and qt
    > 3.0.3 lins both of which I have (have qt 3.3.7 and qt4 with qt3 compats.
    > I'm not an avid builder so i may be missing something, maybe
    > something simple. Maybe it's too old of a source for KDE 3.5.6..

    Hi Meat plow.

    Sorry I am using Mandriva, (linux) of course.

    I follow several linux news groups.

    I downloaded the rpm named kcdlabel-2.12-4mdk.i586.rpm.

    It finds all the dependencies and installs.

    It should be just as simple in ubuntu. Do you have the mirror
    repositories downloaded?

    I am going to try out ubuntu myself, it sounds good.

    Keep smiling.

    Don.

  11. Re: DVD/CD label application?

    On Thu, 27 Dec 2007 10:37:29 +1030, don wrote:

    > Meat Plow wrote:

    >>> Download KCDlabel.
    >>>
    >>> Will do round label printing even directly onto the DVD disk if you have
    >>> the white printable type of surface and the right printer. Even your own
    >>> photos.
    >>> It will do labels for boxes too.
    >>> Don
    >>> Keep smiling.

    >> Can't configure the source, complains about not having libjpeg and qt
    >> 3.0.3 lins both of which I have (have qt 3.3.7 and qt4 with qt3 compats.
    >> I'm not an avid builder so i may be missing something, maybe
    >> something simple. Maybe it's too old of a source for KDE 3.5.6..
    >>

    > Hi Meat plow.
    >
    > Sorry I am using Mandriva, (linux) of course.
    >
    > I follow several linux news groups.
    >
    > I downloaded the rpm named kcdlabel-2.12-4mdk.i586.rpm.
    >
    > It finds all the dependencies and installs.
    >
    > It should be just as simple in ubuntu. Do you have the mirror
    > repositories downloaded?
    >
    > I am going to try out ubuntu myself, it sounds good.
    >
    > Keep smiling.
    >
    > Don.

    Thanks, I installed Glabels and it works fine. I'll keep your post if I
    run into problems with GLables.

+ Reply to Thread